Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On this 75th anniversary of D-Day, let's not overlook ALL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

On this 75th anniversary of D-Day, let's not overlook ALL

Jun 6, 2019, 9:59 AM

the men and women of WWII that suffered and died to save America (and the WORLD).

Remember all those who "island hopped" across the Pacific, froze on the Aleutian islands, died of Malaria in the Burmese jungles, flew mission after mission over Germany, died in subs to never see the light of day again, manned the forts all along our shores. And let's not also forget those who served in the Merchant Marine who had the highest casualty rates of the war, and those who never saw combat, but still gave their lives serving our country back home while training, being trained, building, and supplying, planning, and testing.

And as you lay your heads down on soft pillows tonight in a nice air-conditioned room after having a three-course meal, pray to a long-suffering and merciful God that this country will have enough men and women like these tough and determined and courageous warriors to once again rise to the occasion and overcome the evils which will once again test this Nation to determine whether it still is the "home of the Brave."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On this 75th anniversary of D-Day, let's not overlook ALL

Jun 6, 2019, 10:02 AM

Truly the greatest generation ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truly.

Jun 6, 2019, 10:10 AM

And unfortunately for the future.

Re: Truly.

Jun 6, 2019, 12:13 PM

We never know who the greatest generation is. They were pretty flawed too. They did sacrifice though.

The only problem with the "greatest generation"

Jun 6, 2019, 12:23 PM

Label is that it glorifies WW2 in a way. Makes it seem like an interesting piece of history to those of us who never lived it. Almost mythological.

We need to remember that as many as 85 million lost their lives around the world. Unimaginable desolation and destruction. Thousands upon thousands were slaughtered everyday all over. From Eastern Europe to the pacific to Ethiopia to even India.

Every country involved (which was quite a lot) lost their minds in WW2.

It's important to remember D-Day on June 6. And to remember all year long just how horrible WW2 was. It's forgotten more and more each year as it becomes more distanced.

Is that good or bad? It's not a bad thing to be far removed from such barbarity but it's bad to not remember it and learn from it.

Re: The only problem with the "greatest generation"

Jun 6, 2019, 12:25 PM

Well said.

Jun 6, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to The only problem with the "greatest generation" ]

Maybe you should both pick another day and time to attempt to take away from “the greatest generation”. Thankfully there was an amazing generation of Americans that were willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to stop the destruction and desolation on the planet during WWII. No one glorifies that war but we sure glorify those soldiers, and we should continue to do that for the rest of time. You can thank them for that time coming to an end and the fact that you still enjoy your freedoms today. 99% of any generation living today couldn’t walk half a mile in their shoes. Show some respect!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 12:48 PM

They were humans just like now. We all appreciate their sacrifice.

I am just speaking of the perspective of young people

Jun 6, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: The only problem with the "greatest generation" ]

I was born 45 years after WW2 ended. And there are many far younger than me out there.

To us, WW2 is very much like a storybook. I do not even have conscious memory of learning about it. I learned it so early in life it's like I have always known it. Hitler, D-Day, Pearl Harbor, the Atomic Bombs etc are so ingrained into us that it's actually hard to take a step back and realize that it was utter suffering and destruction and not a storybook war.

I have been doing a lot of research about things in the war i never learned about in school and trying to look at it from perspectives of that time period and not from the far removed, detached perspective that we have in these days.

I think for young people, to constantly hear things that glorify the war (and I do think that is the correct word to describe for many people talk about D-Day and world war 2 in general), makes it harder to fully understand the depravity it caused and created.

It is probably much different for older generations since they have a closer attachment to the actual affects if it.

Jun 7, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: The only problem with the "greatest generation" ]

Thank youvTigerman for bringing this thread back to its proper perspective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also one more thing to keep in mind

Jun 6, 2019, 12:43 PM [ in reply to The only problem with the "greatest generation" ]

When reading about the staggering numbers of those killed in WW2. The world population was much smaller in the 40s than it is now. About 1/3 as large. Meaning that the casualty numbers are that much more significant. Take those numbers and triple them to understand what type of impact they would have today.

How exactly, did the United States lose our minds?***

Jun 6, 2019, 6:56 PM [ in reply to The only problem with the "greatest generation" ]

Maybe, but maybe you just need to read a lot more history.

Jun 6, 2019, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Truly. ]

And go to a nursing home and talk to these men before it's to late.

Jun 6, 2019, 10:12 AM

So important that we help our children and grand kids understand about this history and how young Americans stood up for our country and the rest of the world to save our way of life. They aren't getting the same history lessons in schools today that we all got.

No, because too many thought the war was over in 1945.

Jun 6, 2019, 10:18 AM

Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty.

My wife's grandfather, D. L. Hall, from

Jun 6, 2019, 10:40 AM

Iva, SC, was a 32 year old Marine grunt who fought in the island hoppings in the Pacific. His marine buddies called him "pops" because he was so old. His last fight was Okinawa. He lived to be 87.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My wife's grandfather, D. L. Hall, from

Jun 6, 2019, 10:43 AM

If you haven't watched "The Pacific" you need to.

Jun 6, 2019, 12:09 PM

Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 6:41 PM

You're more than welcome. You won't "enjoy" it. But you'll certainly appreciate it.

Required reading for every high school student should be

Jun 6, 2019, 6:58 PM

Herman Wouk's "War and Rememberance" and "The Winds of War".

Spud, do you have a friend or relative named "bud?"

Jun 6, 2019, 7:09 PM

My son was given a truck toolbox with "spud" & "bud" engraved in it and when I was welding on it today it made me think about you.

Jun 6, 2019, 6:58 PM

Absolutely!

Jun 7, 2019, 7:37 AM

Amen.

Great Generation - saved the world***

Jun 7, 2019, 9:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Generation - saved the world***

Jun 7, 2019, 10:49 AM

Too bad they can't save it again.

Jun 7, 2019, 11:19 AM

Amen BengalBilly. Those were some very brave men who served this great country and knew what we were fighting for. It’s to bad some of our politicians did not quite get the big picture.

I thank God every day for every man that charged up that beach, some never making it , but bravely fighting for freedom. Thank you to all who has ever served in our military. Your sacrifice is truly and sincerely appreciated. May God Bless each veteran and their families.

Jun 7, 2019, 11:39 AM

And Amen to you, American Eagle.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic