Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaching is not just about X and Os
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Coaching is not just about X and Os

Jan 26, 2019, 4:29 PM

Clemson fans of all people should understand that by now. Coaches have to recruit and develop talent. They have to instill confidence in their team so when the game is on the line the team believes they will win.

No, Brownell didn't miss those free throws and Dabo didn't make that last second throw to Renfrow for the Championship two years ago. But one coach had their team prepared and believing they would win and the other didn't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So the best FT shooter in Clemson history

Jan 26, 2019, 4:31 PM

didn't believe in himself shooting FT's?

Re: So the best FT shooter in Clemson history

Jan 26, 2019, 4:33 PM

He could possibly be losing confidence and focus after an abysmal start to the conference slate yes....

He was 9-10 prior to the last 4***

Jan 26, 2019, 4:35 PM

There was more pressure on those last four, no?***

Jan 26, 2019, 4:36 PM

Re: He was 9-10 prior to the last 4***

Jan 26, 2019, 4:39 PM [ in reply to He was 9-10 prior to the last 4*** ]

Do you not think there’s a difference in shooting free throws early in a game as compared to late in the game, when it’s on the line? If not, nobody can help you.

Again, how is that on the coach?

Jan 26, 2019, 4:41 PM

Not like those were the first pressure free throws in Reed's 4 year career

Re: Again, how is that on the coach?

Jan 26, 2019, 4:46 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Coaching-is-not-just-about-X-and-Os-1882415

Jan 26, 2019, 4:34 PM [ in reply to So the best FT shooter in Clemson history ]

The best FT shooter in Clemson history choking when the game is on the line? Yep, I would call that confidence.

I just call it choking, and it has nothing to do

Jan 26, 2019, 4:36 PM

with the coach in that situation

Re: I just call it choking, and it has nothing to do

Jan 26, 2019, 4:38 PM

One game, maybe not. But we've seen a LOT of these games and situations in the last 9 years.

Re: I just call it choking, and it has nothing to do

Jan 26, 2019, 4:39 PM

What about the fan support too. Clemson never has that kind of crowd there for a basketball game. And loud as they were either.

I've seen it for over 40, but I'm only 49***

Jan 26, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: I just call it choking, and it has nothing to do ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey i'm 62

Jan 26, 2019, 6:26 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2019, 5:53 PM [ in reply to So the best FT shooter in Clemson history ]

...And someone who doesn’t get it

Wrong Board !!!***

Jan 26, 2019, 4:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wrong Board !!!***

Jan 26, 2019, 4:48 PM

Not sure what's more irritating, the Brownell apologists after every loss or the board police.

There’s a plethora of things to be criticize CBB about ...

Jan 26, 2019, 4:42 PM

... this ain’t one of them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaching is not just about X and Os

Jan 26, 2019, 5:31 PM

You are so dead on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

One coach gets everything he has ever asked for.

Jan 26, 2019, 5:36 PM

Whether it be the best facilities in the nation, the highest assistant coach budget in the country, and the most support staff in the country. Not to mention getting paid among the top coaches in the country.

The other coach has to scratch and claw to get raises for his assistants, and to get the support staff he needs. Heck, he even had to raise money himself for new facilities which aren’t even close to the best in the conference.

Both coaches are ultimately responsible for the results in terms of wins and losses, but one coach is supported very well and the other isn’t. We have to ask ourselves if we are truly putting our coaches in the best positions to be successful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Do you not remember when Dabo was first hired.

Jan 26, 2019, 5:46 PM

His contract was extremely low and largely based on incentives. In other words... prove you're the guy and money will follow. When he did get a raise he asked that his portion could be lower so his assistants could be paid more. He lobbied for everything he has gotten and was able to sell his vision to make it happen. Nothing was just given to him. He started getting all of those things after he PROVED his worth.

You want Brownell to get more? Maybe he could start earning it. and he needs to be a better salesman too.

And don't tell me about last year. Yes, he's had ONE good year and received a ridiculous contract for it that Clemson will be paying for many years to come.

Bingo.***

Jan 26, 2019, 6:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One coach gets everything he has ever asked for.

Jan 26, 2019, 5:57 PM [ in reply to One coach gets everything he has ever asked for. ]

It didn’t start off that way, dabo earned everything he has, outside of some new facilities . Heck a few years ago it was said South Carolina’s facilitates were better than ours, and look at them

Re: Coaching is not just about X and Os

Jan 26, 2019, 5:52 PM

Finally someone who gets it

You're wasting your time. Go back and look at the five

Jan 26, 2019, 6:10 PM

years before TB was released and the five years before JL was released. The EXACT same dialogue went on and on and on then just as it has for the last five years for BB. The people that already know already know, so you're wasting your time. The people that don't see won't ever see, and so you're wasting your time. There are people that are objective and just see the facts, and their are people that are emotional and let their wants and desires get in the way of those facts. You're just going to have to wait out these years just like we had to all those other times.

Just go to the next Women's BB game this week. That team was getting beat by 20, 30, and 40 points last year, and 3/4 of those same girls are beating most of the teams they play. Go cheer for them and Ms. Butler, and let her know you appreciate the job she's already done to change an embarrassing program into a respectable one. It'll be a lot more productive than futile arguments on this board.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic