Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simple question: If you’re Zion, why do you come to Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Simple question: If you’re Zion, why do you come to Clemson?

Apr 12, 2019, 5:53 PM

I’ve read almost every post on here regarding basketball. Coaching, support, etc. I understand there are many factors that go into a successful program in any sport. But, as of now, name one reason a guy that can go to Dook, set the MBB scene on fire, leave in a year, and probably be the no. 1 overall pick in the draft would come to Clemson to play basketball?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simple question: If you’re Zion, why do you come to Clemson?

Apr 12, 2019, 5:59 PM

I asked myself the same question every time I saw dook play. Zion was never coming to Clemson; he was always going to the dookies.

because i like the color ORange***

Apr 12, 2019, 6:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this:

Apr 12, 2019, 6:01 PM

He had everything to lose at Duke - and did. What value did he get in going there, joining a bunch of allstars and other NBA first rounders? And then - G forbid - going out early in the tourney. Now that's failure of an epic sort. There's no story in going to Duke! He'll make his millions WHEREVER he plays. Why not go to a no-name school such as Wofford, as Bird did at Indiana State, and take them to the pinnacle? Now there's a story, there's a number. That's how you make a brand - you lift up all the average or pretty good players around you and take them to the top. Too bad he went to Duke. Clemson or Wofford would've been much better for him. He didn't need to "build a brand" at Duke. He already was a brand.

Re: You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this:

Apr 12, 2019, 6:05 PM

Spot on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 6:08 PM [ in reply to You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this: ]

I see where you’re coming from. I guess I see at as you’re right; he’s going to make millions anywhere. But... why not have a pretty fair shot at a national championship along the way?

I love Clemson Basketball as much as the next guy, and I wanted so badly for Zion to take our program to another level. The issue I have with all of the basketball conversation is simply that I don’t see the advantage of a guy that is a program-changer to have any reason (other than an unfortunately outdated perspective) to wanting to change a program.

If he comes to Clemson, he’s here for one year. Then what? That would help us tremendously, but in the self-serving age we live in, what does that actually do for him? I have found my answer to be “nothing”.

Apr 12, 2019, 6:08 PM [ in reply to You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this: ]

He played with better talent and a better coach. He made a great call. He was also on TV way more. Duke made him a household name. He didn't need a good story at Wofford and to be hidden away. Now he is about to get a 150 million dollar shoe contract with Nike.

Apr 12, 2019, 6:12 PM

Exactly! So what, he loses “early” in the tournament. If he comes to Clemson, as good as he is, we still may miss the whole dang thing.

It’s the same mentality of the new era of college football that the coots proved: if you’re not in the playoff, who really cares? Well... that may be a bad example. They just suck.

Apr 12, 2019, 7:06 PM [ in reply to You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this: ]

Haha if he would have went to College of Charleston, Charleston Southern, Furman, Wofford, or somewhere else like that it would have been awesome!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll tell u what value $$$$$$$$***

Apr 12, 2019, 8:12 PM [ in reply to You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this: ]

This is dumb

Apr 13, 2019, 9:43 AM [ in reply to You must've never read my posts. Spoken much on this: ]

He’s not nearly as impactful at Clemson than at Duke. He wasn’t the #1 guy coming into college and he played himself into the #1 pick in the draft. If you don’t think he got more exposure at Duke than he would’ve gotten at Clemson, then I don’t think we can have intelligent discussion. At Clemson he would’ve been the only piece and teams could gameplan him out of the game much more effectively because there wasn’t enough talent around him to worry about.

He made himself more money and exposure going to Duke than he would’ve gotten at Clemson.

Now if you want to argue Wofford, he would’ve been surrounded by a better team but let’s face it he was never going to Wofford and it would've been dumb because he would’ve been an afterthought because he’d rarely be on TV.

Re: This is dumb

Apr 13, 2019, 11:59 AM

Not necessarily so dumb for the reasons you gave .

JA Morant was rarely mentioned before the season ,and he has moved up to a possible # 2 pick .

JA Morant was not seen on tv much until his conference tourney and NCAA tournament .

If Zion goes to Clemson , he possibly becomes the Pied Piper of Clemson Basketball for some years to come .

He could help in recruiting for basketball .

And finally, he could have been closer to Dabo and Clemson football . That's a great reason to come .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no reason.***

Apr 12, 2019, 6:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same reason Trevor Lawrence doesn’t go to Duke

Apr 12, 2019, 6:02 PM

Duke doesn’t have the coaching or the program established to win championships... which begins with coaching. Dabo took Clemson from nowhere to a perennial national power because of coaching. He got the staff in place to develop the talent he had, and he got great talent to buy into what he was doing at Clemson.

Clemson basketball has none of that... and hasn’t had anything NEAR that since Rick Barnes’ final season.

The moral to the story - get a coach and staff who know how to RECRUIT and DEVELOP TALENT. Build it and they will come.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You tryin' make trouble , bub ?

Apr 12, 2019, 6:14 PM

Don't start nothin' won't be nothin '

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: You tryin' make trouble , bub ?

Apr 12, 2019, 6:16 PM

I see you, Tigerdug. Good point. Not my intention.

Apr 12, 2019, 6:58 PM

Zion gets the same result regardless of where he played his college ball....a really high first round draft pick

He was coming to Clemson until something changed his mind. The Duke sites did not bother to send anyone to his announcement press conference as they were thought to be out of it.

He would want to come to Clemson to play in his home state and do something different than the others. Ever see the football graphic of a recruit choosing his on path on the road less traveled?

Apr 13, 2019, 9:43 AM

His endorsements will be way higher thanks to Duke. The first pick makes nothing compared to his endorsements. He was on TV way more with Duke. He made the right business call.

Simple answer ...

Apr 12, 2019, 6:59 PM

Generally speaking, the top players (like Zion) who are sure bets for the NBA want to go to the school where they can have the most fun for a year or two. They don't need to be "developed" or coached up very much; they just want a place where they can showcase their basketball talent and win BIG.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 12, 2019, 7:04 PM

He would have done the same at a place it’s never been done before.

Apr 13, 2019, 9:44 AM

Probably not.

Apr 12, 2019, 8:01 PM

I wish he was a tiger. I think he would have been first pick overall where ever he went, much like Ben Simmons at LSU a year ago. Zion wasn’t even highest rated in HS but when he lined up in college the talent was undeniable. I think the difference though is the exposure he got at duke, constantly on TV and talked about. That exposure turned him into a monster celebrity and his shoe deal will reflect that. I don’t think that aspect happens if he came to tiger town.

Apr 13, 2019, 9:56 AM

The first pick probably would have happened either way as you stated, but the hype around the Duke vs UNC game with all the celebrities there and his shoe blowing out in a front of a national audience made him millions more. The first pick in the draft still has a rookie contract. He could get injured or not live to the hype and not even get a max 2nd contract. His endorsements will be huge though. They are saying his shoe deal alome will be 150 million.

Apr 13, 2019, 10:32 AM

Haha yeah exactly my point. He’s signing a shoe deal out of the gate that most players don’t see (unless you are Lebron) until they are a proven commodity in the league. Crazy to think about.

Zion is dead to me. However,

Apr 13, 2019, 9:33 AM

my thought while watching Wofford during the tournament was: “What IF he (truly) had ‘shocked the world’ and gone to Wofford”?

I won’t lie, I think the Terriers would have had a chance at the title. Plus, I would have ‘respected’(?) his choice and been pulling for him (as part of their team).

$.02

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

to play basketball

Apr 13, 2019, 9:37 AM

Or forge a lifetime bond with the upstate of SC where he's from.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 13, 2019, 12:09 PM

Just a cash grab ??

He’ll be slightly above average in the NBA. I don’t care anyway because, we’ll the NBA sux now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic