Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You know, in the past 25 years I have never once
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 340

You know, in the past 25 years I have never once

Feb 28, 2019, 8:14 AM

received a call from a national pollster. NEVER. I've received only 2 poll calls EVER, and they were push polls for local elections. I eventually sniffed those out and confronted the pollster and asked who he was conducting the poll for and they hung up. And I had a landline up until just a few years ago.

I have never been picked to serve on a jury. EVER. Three times on jury duty, never once picked to even make the first cut at being on a jury.

Anyway, this article reminded me of the above:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/27/phone-polling-crisis-1191637

And trust me I'd JUMP at the opportunity to participate in a national political poll. Mainly because I've never been contacted and I know I would blow their curve.

Polls have been way off for a long time. I think I understand why.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I don't recognize the number, I ain't answerin'.***

Feb 28, 2019, 8:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Everyone is responsible for using the information

Feb 28, 2019, 8:24 AM

correctly. The number of respondents influences the margin of error of the poll. If the response is low, it should be reflected in the margin of error. Most people form opinions from polls, without considering what the poll actually means.

If a poll says 55% of people like Donald Trump, and the margin of error is plus-minus 3%, then all we can say is that we can be 95% confident that a majority of people like Trump. It does not mean that it is a fact that more people like Trump.. The only way you know that is by asking the entire population. If the same poll has plus-minus 6%, then what that poll says is that we cannot be be 95% confident that most people like Trump. It definitely does not mean that more people like Trump.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The toughest thing is probably to get a good random sample.

Feb 28, 2019, 8:26 AM

Online polls are always self-selecting, and are pretty much trash.

I'm not an expert, but phone polling may border on self-selecting. Are certain people more likely to answer the phone than others?

Even the margin for error is wrong IMO

Feb 28, 2019, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Everyone is responsible for using the information ]

I mean if half the people hang up, you have no clue the propensity for that hangup caller to get to a voting booth, or how they may vote. Your percentages of unemployed people answering and elderly will be skewed WAY high because they have time for a poll. Most people working don't have the time to waste, and/or just hate spam calls and don't even answer an unknown number.

Leaving a message with a callback number would be helpful but they don't do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having people call back would obviously be self-selecting.

Feb 28, 2019, 9:18 AM

Wouldn't be any good.

Wouldn't be self selecting because they already attempted to

Feb 28, 2019, 9:31 AM

call you first. You would at least grab a higher percentage of the hangups. There would have to be a code or something to enter for a one-time use or something to keep it legit, but those who call back would be a more likely person to go to the polls and vote because they care enough to call back.

Either way, polls are not accurate, and really have never been. Exit polling is much more accurate. But given the logistics of polling, there's no way they're accurate, no matter how many statistical alterations you do.

You don't want the people who call back to be

Feb 28, 2019, 9:35 AM

"more likely" to do anything. You want a representative, random sample of the population.

Polls are "accurate" according to the constraints of the polling, which most people looking at polls don't understand. No poll is ever or will ever be 100% "accurate", unless you literally poll every person in the population. That is not a poll...that is an election.

Even if a poll did show with 95% confidence

Feb 28, 2019, 9:38 AM

that event "A" was true, then if "A" isn't true, that doesn't mean the poll was wrong. That's why it's 95% confidence, not 100% confidence. There's no such thing as 100% confidence in statistics.

It's probably because Gallup, Harris, etc., could see that

Feb 28, 2019, 8:35 AM

you're on Spectrum, and they're like "yeah, this guy doesn't vote."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Voted every election and midterm since graduating college***

Feb 28, 2019, 9:17 AM

Re: You know, in the past 25 years I have never once

Feb 28, 2019, 9:29 AM

sounds like by some sort of weird bureaucratic error, you are not an actual american citizen. Hold still while I call immigration to carry you off to mexico.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You know, in the past 25 years I have never once

Feb 28, 2019, 9:31 AM

I was called by Gallup once. It was approve/disapprove questions about W's job performance. And I've been called two other times by other national polls, but I can't remember which ones.

I got a push poll on behalf of Mark Sanford in 2002 and when I told the pollster that her facts were incorrect, she hung up.

Think I got that same push poll.***

Feb 28, 2019, 9:49 AM

I had jury duty last week.

Feb 28, 2019, 9:55 AM

Some folks in there had been on jury duty 2 or 3 times in their life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's funny to me that news agencies still cite polls

Feb 28, 2019, 10:17 AM

after the 2016 election.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 340
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic