Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yeah, fire a 10-2 coach and see what happens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Yeah, fire a 10-2 coach and see what happens

Nov 26, 2012, 8:03 PM

Honestly, what kind of candidates does a school attract when a guy who has won 10 games and done it without scandal, gets fired? The entire coaching world will know there is a completely unrealistic administration and fanbase in Clemson, SC. No coach worth a dang would consider working for such a crowd. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was almost a sentiment of boycott within the coaching community for firing a 10-2 coach who didnt' cheat.

Dabo can't control the schedule and he can't control the conference. If Dabo goes 10-2 next year and still loses to SCAR, then some of you would want to fire a coach that won 30 games over the last 3 years - are you serious?

Yeah, fire a 10-2 coach and see what the coaching world says about Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crap, there will be any number of good coaches wanting

Nov 26, 2012, 8:07 PM

the job.

THIS GUY^^ = definition of "LOOKING GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH"

Nov 26, 2012, 8:39 PM

The last time Clemson was this relevant and well built [from recruiting talent on up to the coaching staff] was 20+ years ago, but no, your knee-jerk-reacting self foolishly believes it's a cake walk to create a national championship program, as if we simply haven't been trying the past 2 decades.

Yeah, let's get rid of one of the top recruiters in the country, the head coach who has done nothing but improve his ability and the team's success each year while learning from mistakes, the man who cares more about the program than either his own well being or making sure his friends are taken care of (see taking a pay cut and the termination of Napier), the man whom talented coaches like Morris & Venables believe in enough to come here, the rare type of head coach who brings so much more to Clemson than just coaching.

Perhaps we should go back to a handful more years of Hatfield to shut you ungrateful fans up. Some people just don't know when the f they have it good.

Auburn fired their coach 2 years after a national title

Nov 26, 2012, 8:11 PM

I bet they don't have a problem getting a quality replacement.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn fired their coach 2 years after a national title

Nov 26, 2012, 8:18 PM

Auburn just pulled two assistant coaches off recruiting due to infractions with a Memphis High School. Chiz may have a NC and Auburn squeaked out of the Cam Newton deal but they are likely going down on these infractions. Dabo has nothing of the kind in his background at Clemson.

So? Dabo isn't winning big either. Anyone can lose clean.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:22 PM

Just firing a guy is only half the solution. You still have to make a quality hire.

Chizik would likely be gone anyway.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn fired their coach 2 years after a national title ]

One great year doesn't yield much job security in the SEC. And they won't have much problem finding someone else.

Neither would we.

Re: Chizik would likely be gone anyway.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:33 PM

To argue Auburn's case, Chiz has significant NCAA infractions that have been investigated under his tenure and Auburn just finished 3-9 and finished near the bottom in most NCAA statistical categories. Last year wasn't so hot either for Auburn.

So you are comparing firing a guy who went 3-9 to a guy who goes 10-2.

Why am I even attempting this argument with you?

You keep throwing out "10-2" like it means something.

Nov 26, 2012, 9:05 PM

10-2 is meaningless when your best win is Ball St.

And we likely would've been 7-5 or 8-4 in the SEC, Big 12, or Pac 12.

I'll try again

Nov 26, 2012, 10:49 PM

10-2 does mean something because it leaves very little room for improvement. In fact it leaves no "realistic" room for improvement.

I am not arguing against the fact that Dabo may be padding his resume with wins over weak teams, but he can't control the schedule. So when a school fires a guy that goes 10-2, that school is essentially telling the entire coaching world that they require their coach to go undefeated to keep his job.

My point has less to do with whether there are other coaches out there who may be better for Clemson than Dabo, my point has everything to do with the fact that Dabo is doing most everything that can be asked of him short of going undefeated.

Most of the country doesn't give a rat's fart about the SCAR/Clemson rivalry, so when you fire a 10-2 coach the rest of the country sees a school that expects their coach to go undefeated to keep his job - that will look totally irrational.

Re: Yeah, fire a 10-2 coach and see what happens

Nov 26, 2012, 8:12 PM

everybody always spews this drivel

...yeah, it's so hard to get someone to take our money

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They will lineup to take it. As long as you 8,9, or 10

Nov 26, 2012, 8:31 PM

games , you can, at least lose 3 straight to SC and not have to sweat it.

Unlike tnet real professionals know why we constantly

Nov 26, 2012, 8:13 PM

pull a clemson and under achieve. Poor coaching.

Yea we won 10 wins. But what other goals did we meet?

Division Title - No
ACC - No
USC win - No
BCS Bowl - No

Two more left ...

Win our bowl game and finish in the top 20, which hasn't happened since TB. If we win our bowl game we'll finish in the top 20, if we lose we'll barely finish in the top 25.

Right now we are 1-4 meeting our annual goals. The main goals. The rest is trying to salvage a disappointing season and provide momentum going into next year.

We won 10 games. Whoopeeeee give Dumbo a lifetime contract.

Re: Give them all big raises. They should refund at least

a third of their salaries.

Tell me if I have the right school but such didn't work out

Nov 26, 2012, 8:15 PM

well for Nebraska, now did it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had 5 coaches from 69-78. That worked out well. If you

Nov 26, 2012, 8:21 PM

look at the history of winning programs, very few highly successful coaches took more than 3 to 5 years to show major significant improvement. It is obvious within 2 or 3 years if a guy has what it takes. There are far more cases of fast turnarounds than Beamer/VT stories.

Not true to date with scolly restrictions.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:28 PM

I can think of only Urban Myer, as the only exception.

And Urban has hand selected schools for his best chance.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:36 PM

Dabo didn't do so.

And should you want to put Stoops or another 10-2 team up, then you just make my point more clear. A right place at the right time in one season doesn't make stability, so back to back 10 wins moving forward is about as good as it gets. Unless you're Nick Saban using booster, Prop 42, and who knows what else.

lol you folks cherry pick facts and repeatedly ignore the

Nov 26, 2012, 10:08 PM

ones that actually matter.

CU sucked, Pell was 11-1 his 2nd year.

Ford, NC 3rd year.

Dabo took over a team winning 8/9 a year that should easily had been winning 10/11 or more and winning championships. Until this year Dabo lost games we easily should have won. The only reason he finally won all the easy ones is because FSU and usc were truly the only 2 teams capable of beating us this year.

You know little about football, and your math is terrible if

Nov 26, 2012, 11:10 PM

you think the stats show that great head coaches typically win more games than Dabo has during his head coaching start.
Here, let me remind you what reality looks like. ;)

Dabo, 35-18, has the same or better winning percentage than the following guys during his first 4 full seasons:

Nick Saban
Bear Bryant
Spurrier
Bobby Bowden
Les Miles
Frank Beamer
Mike Gundy
Gary Patterson
Woody Hayes
Jimmy Johnson

.... and is 2 wins shy of Tom Osborne's first 4 full years..... and 3 more than Lou Holtz.

LR, I've seen you make this comment before

Nov 26, 2012, 8:29 PM [ in reply to We had 5 coaches from 69-78. That worked out well. If you ]

and I don't disagree.

The point you seem to be missing is that the entire country, outside of Clemson, sees a coach that was successful in 3 years. He won the conference, he would have won 30 + games his last 3 years (assuming 10-2 next year) and a school fires him? That is what the rest of the country sees. You are disecting the wins based on the competition, but again, Dabo can't control the conference and the schedule.

If you are firing a coach who wins 10 games you are very close to telling any potential hire that you must go undefeated at Clemson or you will be fired.

Sure, there are tons of coaches who would take the job but no coach that is in demand would take the job. Any new hire would be a risk, just like Dabo was when hired. Only now with Dabo, 10 wins is about a given whereas you would be asking a new coach, likely an unproven one, to go undefeated. Does not make sense to anyone except some posters on T-Net.

Wrong, that may be true for the casual observer, but if you

Nov 26, 2012, 10:10 PM

think the media, other coaches, and experts paying attention can't see the difference you are deluding yourself. Anyone paying attention can see our issues are coaching.

LOL @ your definition of having "what it takes"***

Nov 26, 2012, 8:40 PM [ in reply to We had 5 coaches from 69-78. That worked out well. If you ]

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Stop taking out your ####!!!

Nov 26, 2012, 9:55 PM [ in reply to We had 5 coaches from 69-78. That worked out well. If you ]

According to your ridiculous logic, BAMA would NOT be where it currently at b/c Nick Saban would've been banned from coaching after accumulating a 25-22-1 record during his first 4 years at Michigan State.... and if not then, LSU, according to your foolish argument, should've fired him after his 8-5 year 3, one year before winning LSU a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.... and then Bama should've fired him after his 7-6 start, also one year before winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP...... although I wish NCAA programs would listen to whiney, irrational, foolish fan opinions like yours b/c then Bama wouldn't be the powerhouse they currently are meanwhile pillaging & plundering through the country's recruiting resources.

Yeah, Heaven forbid Dabo looks like one of the country's best young coaches on the verge of joining the top dogs as he continues developing his ability and continues building the program in his image, which doesn't happen overnight. What a failure Dabo is for tallying a 35-13 record (compared to Saban's 25-22) during his first four full years. I know your overbearingly opinionated type, and it's well worth writing a full piece about.

You fail to understand context. And you also make the simple

Nov 26, 2012, 10:20 PM

minded mistake of simply looking at the record.

Two 6-5 teams are not equal. Each school has a different history, how much talent is there, what was their schedule, what was the quality of play like and how did that change over the course of the year and change from last year to this year.

Anyone could see Saban was making things better at Michigan State. A program with a history and tradition and talent is turned around faster and easier esp when it already has top 15 talent like we do and have had before Dabo.

Most of you folks don't know half of what you think you know about football and sports. There is sooooo much more to this than simple won/loss records. It all has to be put into context. As soon as RR left Clemson it was clear TB was dependent on him. I new mid way through TB's 3rd year that he'd get a certain level of success, but not make us national contender again, and certainly not consistently. Dabo doesn't have it either.

Re: You fail to understand context. And you also make the simple

Nov 26, 2012, 10:22 PM

just give it up, Dabo is not going anywhere so you are just wasting bandwidth and your precious time..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, and I guess we're regressing under Dabo <sarcasm>***

Nov 26, 2012, 11:11 PM [ in reply to You fail to understand context. And you also make the simple ]

I'm golf-clapping out loud for this post, sir.***

Nov 26, 2012, 8:18 PM

Re: Lets just see what happens anyway

Scar came out at halftime ready to play. Adjustments made. Coached up.
We came out like deer in the headlights. Again this year. Scared to hit somebody. Nobody fears us. We might run up the score but we are not going to rough you up.
Chad said Boyd looked like a cement deer last year against Scar. Not much better this year.
Dabo got outcoached and looked foolish and his slogans are plain stupid.
Dabo ain't going anywhere.
Kind of like a bad preacher.
Just gotta deal with it. At least he hired Chad.
Just keep Chad!!!
Dabo is "All In Over His Head"

If he loses every time he plays a good team...

Nov 26, 2012, 8:39 PM

Then yes, he should be fired. That decision is two seasons away. The ACC is garbage. Beating Duke and Wake, even GT this year means very little. Even beating VIRGINIA TECH adds nothing to our resume this year. We played two good teams and were dominated in the second half by both of them.

If you can't understand that, well... your Tigernet handle suits you.

He is not getting fired.***

Nov 26, 2012, 9:28 PM

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic