Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If I told you Clemson would be 12-1 ACC Champs with a win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

If I told you Clemson would be 12-1 ACC Champs with a win

Aug 21, 2019, 11:28 AM

against SCar, would you take it?

Personally, I would take the 100% of the time with no questions asked. That guarantees a playoff spot 9 out of 10 times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I told you Clemson would be 12-1 ACC Champs with a win

Aug 21, 2019, 11:34 AM

I would take it today but I'm not sure if I would take it on September 15 if we have a 3-0 record.

There are not many teams left on the schedule at that point where a loss would not terribly damage the perception of the team.

We had 1 loss in 2017 and ranked #1. Had 1 loss in 2016 and

Aug 21, 2019, 11:38 AM

ranked #2.

It would be a bizarre year for 12-1 ACC Champs not to get you in the Top 4. Not saying that it couldn't happen. But a lot of weird stuff would have to happen to keep us out.

We may not have gotten in last year with a loss.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:32 PM

Ohio State was sitting at home with a 12-1 record. Our schedule was weaker than theirs and they finished the season by obliterating Michigan.

Re: Ohio State.... The...

Aug 21, 2019, 4:08 PM

I think you may be forgetting about a few things from last season with TOSU. They lost to Purdue.... 49-20 and it was never close. Also, do you remember Maryland? Maryland went for 2, in OT and the QB simply missed the wide open receiver. TOSU beat MARYLAND by one.... Should have lost to them.
Another factor was Notre Dame. Had ND lost even one game, TOSU would have been in.
So... weaker schedule or not, losing one close game, is totally different than getting embarrassed by Purdue. JMHO

What's our loss though?

Aug 21, 2019, 4:27 PM

And the committee isn't really allowed to factor in margin of victory beyond the subjective and controversial "eye test."

In the end they really lean on wins over ranked teams and strength of record neither of which would factor in how badly OSU lost at Purdue.

What's our loss though?

Aug 21, 2019, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Ohio State.... The... ]

And the committee isn't really allowed to factor in margin of victory beyond the subjective and controversial "eye test."

In the end they really lean on wins over ranked teams and strength of record neither of which would factor in how badly OSU lost at Purdue.

We may not have gotten in last year with a loss.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:32 PM [ in reply to We had 1 loss in 2017 and ranked #1. Had 1 loss in 2016 and ]

Ohio State was sitting at home with a 12-1 record. Our schedule was weaker than theirs and they finished the season by obliterating Michigan.

Re: We had 1 loss in 2017 and ranked #1. Had 1 loss in 2016 and

Aug 21, 2019, 12:53 PM [ in reply to We had 1 loss in 2017 and ranked #1. Had 1 loss in 2016 and ]

Being able to make the playoff aside, a loss to BC, NCST, or the like, unless we are terribly injured, would not give me high hopes for our chances in the playoffs.

That's more of why I said if we can get past A&M and Cuse without a loss with our young roster I'm not sure I would take a loss because that means our youth isn't improving in the way that we expect it to.

Since you already counted a win vs scar, that only leaves FSU as a team that is remotely comparable in talent to what we have.

You got one of those crystal balls?

Aug 21, 2019, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: If I told you Clemson would be 12-1 ACC Champs with a win ]

??

But to answer your question he$$ NO!!!!!

as long as the loss isn’t to an SEC team. The narrative

Aug 21, 2019, 11:41 AM

Would be unbearable

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 11:42 AM

No - I am spoiled to the point that I want 15-0 again. I wasn't always that way but I always went into every game hoping for a win that day no matter what the odds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 11:49 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we don't finish the season undefeated our "weak" schedule the media has been pushing forever will be used to keep us out of the playoffs. That's why they keep harping on it.

No need for quotes, it IS weak. That's not just some false

Aug 21, 2019, 12:34 PM

narrative being spread by the media. We need some ACC teams on our schedule to improve this year for our schedule to even be decent.

It was weak for one year. 15,16 and 17 ACC was a lot better

Aug 21, 2019, 1:16 PM

The ACC will rebound no matter how bad the media hates it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: If I told you Clemson would be 12-1 ACC Champs with a win ]

The media doesn't get a say in who is selected by committee. We have been dominant enough the last 4-5 years to get a mulligan unless there are 4 undefeated P5 teams.

Aug 21, 2019, 4:31 PM

The media doesn't get a say in who is selected by committee. We have been dominant enough the last 4-5 years to get a mulligan unless there are 4 undefeated P5 teams.

Actually heard a snippet from ESPN echoing this same thing. For once, they made sense. As long as it's a close loss to a decent team, we have built a little "clout" (as the kids say). If we lose by 77 to UNC-Charlotte, then nah. Hopefully, we won't have to worry about it.

Aug 21, 2019, 11:57 AM

No way. I think we have a great chance to go 45-0 under TL as our QB and the great players and staff assembled around him/them. I would not take that opportunity away from this staff and team.

It sounds crazy to think any team in this age could go 45-0 over three years but I wouldn't put it past this bunch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost any other year I would immediately say yes but

Aug 21, 2019, 12:29 PM

I don't think 12-1 guarantees us anything this year. Unless some ACC teams improve our schedule is pretty much garbage and our supposed marquee win is probably going to finish with at least 4 losses because their schedule is brutal.

We are a DieNasty now, don't accept no losses ahead of time!

Aug 21, 2019, 12:36 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem with 12-1 is

Aug 21, 2019, 1:09 PM

It would mean 'cycling out'...by some metrics. That won't work. Now...14-1 with a Natty...I'm jiggy wid it...means a flat tire, but still won the race.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem with 12-1 is

Aug 21, 2019, 1:11 PM

I'd certainly be on board with 14-1 with the Natty, but it would still nag me that Clemson beat Clemson in that one game. Because, I don't think anyone is good enough to beat us this year if we play anywhere close to mistake free football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Aug 21, 2019, 1:20 PM

Aug 21, 2019, 1:23 PM

No I want 30-0

Yes.

Aug 21, 2019, 3:07 PM

This will be our record for the majority of upcoming years.
Dabo himself has said making it through a season undefeated is no easy task.
12-1 ACC champ = CFP.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic