Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Balm's uber liberal humble brag
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,032

Balm's uber liberal humble brag

Jul 18, 2019, 10:11 PM

I spent the last 5+ years volunteering for an organization that seeks the betterment of mankind through sustainable development and efficient city design, I consider this the Holy Grail as a former architect and architecture graduate of Clemson University.

Anyways, the fruit of my artistic labor will be shown at the 3rd Novus Summit this Saturday at the United Nations General Assembly Hall. Many important people will be in attendance.

I donated a 5 minute animation reel that will be shown by one of the guest speakers. If you watched the documentary "Zeitgeist Moving Forward" by Peter Joseph, that should give you an idea of the organization I am involved with.

my IMDB page confirms all of this

https://novussummit.org/novus-2019/

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Balm's uber liberal humble brag

Jul 18, 2019, 11:23 PM

Congrats, seriously. While cities are not my cup of tea, making them better for the poor bastages that must reside in them is a fine thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2019, 11:29 PM

if I get to know you better, I will share some of the designs with you. And "future city" has a more of a connection with nature. It is not a density model.. One of the ideas is to limit the need for transportation. Imagine a world without parking lots and billboards.

Jul 18, 2019, 11:52 PM

That would be an interesting design compared to just having more folks packed in while pouring concrete and erecting high density housing. I understand the how and why what we have as cities came to be but I think humanity lost something in the process.

I was on Jocassee yesterday enjoying the mountains, eagles ,herons and hawks thinking it just does not get better than this even when the storm drove us to the shoreline. Watching it roll in over the mountains, blotting out being able to see across the lake was pretty incredible. Right up to when the lightening arrived and my inner voice was screaming dumb bass.

It is not possible to bring the same thing to a city but doing something that allows for people to retain a connection to nature is valuable from many perspectives. Heck it may take a bit of the edge or stress levels down.

Jul 19, 2019, 12:07 AM

Side note, many of the smaller cities/towns I stayed in while in Europe were built off a city square, all the shops, markets, food places lined the edges. Housing was built around the next ring out eliminating a need for vehicles as everything was what I considered walking distance, had a great time and wondered why more in America was not done the same. Side benefit was there was not a lot of unhealthy ,obese folks.

The city square was also a hub for all ages to gather and socialize, from kids to old folks. Made it seem like more of a community than rats on a treadmill.

Jul 19, 2019, 12:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Balm's uber liberal humble brag ]

there are a lot of reasons why we are stressed, having a connection with nature and a sense of community are important.

You are dayem right!

Jul 19, 2019, 7:07 AM

I’m building north of Clemson partly to limit my need to travel on I-85, between Gvegas and Murderburg!

Re: You are dayem right!

Jul 19, 2019, 9:50 AM

cool

I haven’t clicked the link, but there’s nothing partisan about

Jul 19, 2019, 12:10 AM

better city design for the future. Good stuff, Balm.

null

That’s really interesting

Jul 19, 2019, 7:22 AM

I had a student in my environmental studies class last spring who was an interior design major that wrote a paper on how to utilize design inside your dwelling to help minimize the psychological impact of a lack of nature in existing urban settings.

She included a section on current urban planning efforts to include this from the ground up. I wonder if one of her citations was from this organization.

link to the animation reel?

Jul 19, 2019, 9:40 AM

sounds cool

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: link to the animation reel?

Jul 19, 2019, 9:51 AM

Not until after this weekend, and it would have to be offline.

Zeitgeist???????????????

Jul 19, 2019, 10:15 AM

Ineligible user®

Re: Zeitgeist???????????????

Jul 19, 2019, 10:18 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's humankind you misogynist. :)***

Jul 19, 2019, 11:01 AM

GO TIGERS!!

cool stuff, I'm into it

Jul 19, 2019, 12:17 PM

Kudos to you for volunteering.

I feel like the biggest drag on societal progress over the long term is that innovation and growth seem to actually be stagnating. We need some new major break through's in the applied aspects of biological and physical sciences that will carry us forward over the next 100 years.

Two guys I follow, Eric Weinstein and Peter Thiel discussed some of these issues on a high level recently, in case you are interested:

https://podcastnotes.org/2019/07/17/thiel/

Jul 20, 2019, 10:38 AM

Way cool Balm, no nice of you to give the trophy to that little woman. You're a peach!

Jul 20, 2019, 10:57 AM

that is from the 2016 Summit, she is handing the award. My work was featured then as well. My former "employer" who died later that year won a lifetime achievement award from NOVUS in sustainable city design.

That is impressive... Sincerely impressive. Which CADs are

Jul 21, 2019, 7:36 PM

you primarily using?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,032
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic