Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell

Mar 26, 2019, 4:59 PM

Noticed there haven't been many/any posts about him.

Just curious to hear some opinions

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell

Mar 26, 2019, 5:06 PM

What ever we think should be done don't mean nothing with DRAD being the only one that will make that decision!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct, didn't like the initial hire of DRAD

Mar 26, 2019, 5:20 PM

But he's made excellent hires, and as long as the Clemson Varsity football team continues to dominate, I'm good!

Mar 26, 2019, 5:19 PM

Gotta check the football board

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was said in jest, I've read enough of your posts TS to know you realized that ;)***

Mar 26, 2019, 5:27 PM

Re: That was said in jest, I've read enough of your posts TS to know you realized that ;)***

Mar 26, 2019, 5:55 PM

Ditto

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 5:28 PM

So which site are you on because there have been a lot of post about him.
So with that out of the way, my two cents;
All around good guy, and a good Ambassador for Clemson.
Good X and O's man.Seems to know how to game plan with the players he has.
But therein is the problem.
He has the ability to recruit good "basketball" players but seems to be lacking, IMO, in recruiting basketball "playmakers",those guys that can take over a game in crunch time like we saw this weekend with Ja Morant(Murray State) and Aubrey Dawkins( UCF, and son of Johnny Dawkins).
Too many times,it seems that games get away from Clemson because there doesn't seem to be that one go too, guy.
Sure we had it last season in Devoe, and Grantham, but how often does this team lack that "playmaker" that can make the difference between going to the NCAA's, The NIT, or just sitting at home.

Right over your head....So easily done***

Mar 26, 2019, 5:33 PM

Re: Right over your head....So easily done***

Mar 26, 2019, 6:02 PM

What went over my head!

There have been post about Brad adnasuem recently

Mar 26, 2019, 6:13 PM

It was humor/sarcasm

Mar 26, 2019, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell ]

leftie said:

So which site are you on because there have been a lot of post about him.
So with that out of the way, my two cents;
All around good guy, and a good Ambassador for Clemson.
Good X and O's man.Seems to know how to game plan with the players he has.
But therein is the problem.
He has the ability to recruit good "basketball" players but seems to be lacking, IMO, in recruiting basketball "playmakers",those guys that can take over a game in crunch time like we saw this weekend with Ja Morant(Murray State) and Aubrey Dawkins( UCF, and son of Johnny Dawkins).
Too many times,it seems that games get away from Clemson because there doesn't seem to be that one go too, guy.
Sure we had it last season in Devoe, and Grantham, but how often does this team lack that "playmaker" that can make the difference between going to the NCAA's, The NIT, or just sitting at home.

Accurate assessment. Recruiting. Little help there. Don’t think it is an issue of work ethic. Think may need to consider what is driving these 16 teams. Playmakers. Do they exist? Do they all want more than a great education and the customary perks?

Mar 26, 2019, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell ]

Coach= Teach, develop, motivate, & recruit.

BB= 0 for 4

Brad has recruited well. We have talented ballplayers who

Mar 26, 2019, 7:14 PM

can win. We've shown that. We just don't show it consistently, which is the bother. This whole resource and commitment thing concerning our ho-hum performances over the past decade is too much of a backhand to the young men who have been rocking the paw this year and these years past.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has done 3 of those 4 very well.

Mar 26, 2019, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell ]

Recruiting is the one that needs improvement, and as we've discussed, he is only a couple of years into the new facilities and staff hires he had been requesting since he arrived. Not surprisingly, our 2019 recruiting class is his best one so far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

See, that's not right. Brad has recruited dudes, guys that

Mar 26, 2019, 10:06 PM

want to be here and play here, and they've shown their merit, transfers included, and giving it their all through this middling era. How many players have matriculated through the program from start to finish? Not a lot. Gabe was the last I can remember other than Fields and the legacy squads. But we get transfers that get it and stick with us.

Each reference to our "disabilities" in institutional support for the program for however long ago you want to go back is kind of a slight against those on the hardwood that sport the paw now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell ]

7 or 8 years out of the past 10, that go too guy hasn't been there on a Brownell team!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 5:40 PM

Great guy. Maybe a rhythm boot camp or something this summer could help him out in his field though.

Brownlee

Mar 26, 2019, 6:19 PM

fify

Haven’t seen any such posts gville .... Furthermore - ...

Mar 26, 2019, 7:47 PM

.,.. don’t expect any.... TNet totally silent on that front.,,,,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Mar 26, 2019, 7:54 PM

At the risk of being too serious....

People draw lots of incorrect, subjective conclusions from losing so many close games.

IMO, there is only one conclusion you can definitely make:

(Are you still curious?)

Our effort consistently outpaces our execution.

The one thing a Brownell team will always give you is incredible effort. That's also a reason why our guys give up cheap fouls, because sometimes when you try to make a hustle play the refs call you for being out of position, whether you committed a foul or not.

The sloppy game vs Wichita was typical. We had been playing with a bench that's too shallow--probably Brad's fault-- but i know he was giving our overschieving seniors the opportunity to maximize their season. Then Mitchell went down--just as Grantham did last year--and our guys just wore down because the bench has not been giving us quality minutes. You could see the flat arc on Reed's 3s, Skara was front-rimming everything, there was no lift when they jumped, the starters were a half step slow getting to loose balls, nobody wanted to finish the fast break. The guys were still making steals and forcing turnovers, but they could not finish the plays to score points.

Yes, WS was making us sloppy, but when a good FT-shooting team like us gives away as many points as we did, it's not just the other team's defense. We actually outscrapped the scrappers (WSU's unofficial nickname), but didn't execute offensively.

I think that's one element that gives me hope for next year, the knowledge that our starters--whoever they are--will leave it all on the floor. Two, the fact that BB will not have any obligations to any seniors, so he can play the most responsive players and develop his depth. And three, Clemson is a great place for grad transfers to come. If you're a scrapper who can score a little bit, you can get a quality degree and ACC exposure by playing for a hard-nosed coach.

I still don't see us higher than 6-12 or 7-11, depending on what other teams return, but those players will be earning our admiration every night.

Mar 26, 2019, 11:39 PM

After 9 years of siding with keeping Brownell, he has worn me ragged, and I'm now moving over to the fire Brownell side of the aisle, and If DRAD waits past tomorrow to fire Brad, that would mean that he has fell 2 weeks behind on cutting the cord. And part of that 15 mil deal, DRAD should be the one to find the ways to come up the Brownell buy out money, and that should help him with thinking through the next men's BB hire. It's easy to pay a coach more than they are worth when it's not their money that they are spending. So DRAD should be the one out asking for the money to buy out Brad's contract!!!

Good coach, great guy, mediocre results.

Mar 26, 2019, 8:21 PM

Those are the facts and ultimately the only ones that matter. I know you're being sarcastic and I certainly appreciate the humor, but I don't know what else needs to be said about it. And yes, you found Juan. :)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Good coach, great guy, mediocre results.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:12 PM

And you're in the majority.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:10 PM

Kind of like Tommy Bowden. Great guy, not so great coach.

I haven't heard the Tommy Bowden comparison before.***

Mar 26, 2019, 10:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I haven't heard the Tommy Bowden comparison before.***

Mar 26, 2019, 10:19 PM

Both have pretty good morals. Both were a bit deficient at recruiting. Both lost A LOT of games they were supposed to win. Didn't have to worry about either violating NCAA rules. Both whine a lot. Both have the same problems repeat over and over and over. Tommy was a lot better at screaming at the refs.

Re: I haven't heard the Tommy Bowden comparison before.***

Mar 26, 2019, 10:54 PM

But there wasn't much separation in the two with putting the refs in check IMO, and Brad didn't eat the grass, but he did let it grow under his feet!!!

Mar 26, 2019, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell ]

TB was a narcissistic jerk. He was a better coach than person and I think he was a horrible coach. The man ran away from anything that didn’t best serve him. I can’t think of one thing he gave back to Clemson, SC, the University or otherwise. There is no comparison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 10:37 PM

The jerk in him didn't come out until after he left.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:53 PM

Having been there during four of those miserable years of his tenure, I can tell you that he was quite the jerk then. When they were building his new home, he and his family lived in the apartment building across from us. He was a jerk. My now wife was a waitress at the Blue Heron he frequented. He was a jerk. I had several friends on his team of which I will not mention their names. He was a jerk. Trust me, he wasn’t and is not the man he portrayed himself to be. Arrogant, snobby, entitled jerk... Comparing him to Brad is like comparing Boom to Dabo.

Message was edited by: BloodbeOrange®

Mar 26, 2019, 11:10 PM

There may have been a side the world didn't see. All I can speak of is his public image. Considering how he has acted after his departure, It makes sense that he just hid it well in public.

Mar 26, 2019, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: It would be great to hear some of you guys opinion on Brad Brownell ]

He hired Dabo didn’t he......that is one thing he did we can be grateful for....,if nothing else......Go Tigers!!!!

Mar 26, 2019, 11:06 PM

100% agree with that. He also recommended to Terry Don he be his successor. For that, he should be proud. The man just wasn’t his daddy and he ain’t no Dabo either. +1.

Mar 27, 2019, 12:20 AM

Like judge said Clemson has it's best basketball class coming in yet. All are legit shooters and dangerous with the ball around the arc. Hmmm I believe that's what killed us this year. Lack of consistency from behind the arc. If you look at the stats... When clemson hits 8 3s or more... We are undefeated under Brownell or either 1 loss all time. That should tell Brad something. I mean Devoe and Grantham we're very efficient at the 3 game their senior years which is why we went to a guard oriented offense with high screens. Much like Syracuse and Duke. They run the same offense at times bc their guards are very talented. I felt all year like some of our guys had slow releases. Alex hemenway does not flinch or hesitate. Watch his videos. The kid has a super quick release straight up and squares to the basket. Same for Dawes. Dawes has very long distance like devoe had. What is hurting Clemson right now is the lack of consistency in recruiting. We can afford to have busts in recruiting. We need to hit on our guys and find gems like the Murray state kid and wofford kid. Regardless of the coach. It starts with recruiting. As far as transfers that were mentioned... Clemson has 2 free scholarships this summer to add to our 3 incoming freshman. (Remember Skara took one of those this summer and AJ Oliver transfered last second) both after the signing period. AJs scholarship was given to Fields the team manager kid. What I Wana know is who do you think Clemson should target on the transfer market??? Does anyone know anyone else besides that kid in Charlotte who was all conference 21ppg.?? I heard something about the TCU point guard who's a grad transfer. (Meaning he can play right away next year)

Mar 27, 2019, 12:22 AM

Can't ***** afford busts in recruiting.

Mar 27, 2019, 12:39 AM

He is a good guy that really knows those Xs and Os

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive