Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yesterday I said that Dabo has handled the QB situation well
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Yesterday I said that Dabo has handled the QB situation well

Aug 28, 2018, 8:24 PM

It turns out that I spoke too soon.

Today, he decided to criticize fans who supposedly boo and want KB to fail. He also released KB's stats from some, but not all, scrimmages - and DIDN'T release stats for any other QB.

If you don't want fan unrest about the QB competition, it's probably not a good idea to criticize fans for booing, and then releasing selected scrimmage stats for KB and no other QBs.

It's all just very weird.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Coaching staff deciding the depth chart... VERY weird.***

Aug 28, 2018, 8:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaches deciding the depth chart isn't weird.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:33 PM

Trying too hard to publicly justify their decision, all while criticizing fans for supposedly booing and not wanting a player to succeed, is very weird.

Dabo is crazy if he thinks that our fan base doesn't want KB to succeed. I'm sure there might be a handful out of the 80,000 plus fans who will be at the game Saturday, but they are a very small minority. The same goes for booing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Like he and many others have said, not a good look.***

Aug 28, 2018, 8:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO ONE IS DEBATING THAT BOOING IS BAD.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:40 PM

No one is justifying it or saying that it's okay. It's not. But I'll ask again: WHO WAS BOOING?!?

We are a very supportive fan base. I don't know of our fan base to boo Bryant ever. Why is this even an issue?

There was booing during the BC game last year

Aug 28, 2018, 8:51 PM

Now it's debatable as to who they were booing... the players or the coaches.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article175644951.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: There was booing during the BC game last year

Aug 28, 2018, 9:12 PM

Wow, that sounds as if that game got to him also!!! I mean don't talk about how talented and good a team is out one side of the mouth, and spit barbs out the other side bc that talented good and well coached teamed was slipping!!! Fans don't recruit, coach or choose the starters. The fans just help pay the bill's and the salaries of the folks that choose the product that's put on the field!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LISTEN... everyone needs to take a chill pill...

Aug 28, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Like he and many others have said, not a good look.*** ]

There were audible boos last year... and at the spring game... unfortunate, but true.

Dabo is trying to head off that same nonsense as they sort out the QB situation this year.

I realize it should not bother the players, but QBs are not oblivious to criticism. They will tell you it doesn’t get to them, but they are human too.

Now do I think Dabo should seem so defensive on this? No. But hell, I am not the head coach of a perennial top 3 team in the country either! So who gives 2 craps what I think.

Just relax and let things play out and know, ther is not 1 person on the field Saturday for Clemson or Furman not doing their dadgum level best that they can. Have empathy for them when they fall short. Cheer when they have success. But above all, just support the commitment and effort they have invested to be where they are for goodness sakes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaches deciding the depth chart isn't weird.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Coaches deciding the depth chart isn't weird. ]

There will be boo-birds when KB walks out as starter and Dabo is just trying to keep those idiots in check. Most of the Boo-birds will be fair-weather fans, non-Clemson Alum for the most part but they will exist. Especially if he over-throws a WR on back-to-back passes Dabo is telling those fans to keep their mouths shut and let the players play without their own fans booing. I don't see anything weird about this at all except for those that think it's ok to Boo a Clemson player. I'm glad Dabo tried to put those idiots to rest by being proactive!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since when do Clemson fans boo a QB?

Aug 28, 2018, 8:44 PM

Do you really think our fans will boo KB if he throws a bad pass or two? Because I don't.

Re: Since when do Clemson fans boo a QB?

Aug 28, 2018, 9:07 PM

There were boos during the Stoudt - Watson battle. There will be boos this time around too. God help us if Kelly throws a pick or something really bad happens on the opening drive

The difference

Aug 28, 2018, 10:26 PM

KB is 12-2 as the starter with an ACC Championship and Playoff appearance. Stoudt sat behind Tajh until his Sr year. It was obvious early in the season Watson was far superior to Stoudt. This year, Yes TL is going to be a heck of a QB but the guy in front of him isn’t Cole Stoudt. TL may take over at some point but for now KB is the starter and I wish him the best. KB didn’t play great against Bama but the OL was awful that night; they got whooped. Regardless of what is said publicly we know the goal this year is Natty of bust. The QB that gives us the best chance to bring home another championship is who will end up in the game when it matters. I don’t know how any Tiger fan can lack faith in this coaching staff.

Re: The difference

Aug 29, 2018, 11:56 AM

Stoudt's talent in no way fit the Chad Morris system bc in the Morris system the QB had to be a true duel threat QB. Bless his heart, but Cole looked like an Ostrich with a full cast on one leg when he was running, but Cole Stoudt could sling the #### out of a FB and he was pretty d@mn accurate when making down field passes. In fact, Cole was just as accurate of a passer as anyone else we've had at QB. It is true that Cole couldn't run out of a #### storm on his best day, and when he did have to run, his stride looked like he was moving in slow motion.

But when Chad Morris run out right before our bowl game against Oklahoma, Dabo, Tony Elliott, and Jeff Scott put together an offensive game plan that fit Cole Stoudt's talents perfectly. And with Cole Stoudt as the QB for our Clemson Tigers, Oklahoma suffered the worst loss in the history of Oklahoma's storied FB program to a 40-6 beat down by the Clemson Tigers and QB Cole Stoudt. Any time anybody wants to talk about Cole Stoudt, here's what you should say, and here is a reminder of what Cole Stoudt was capable of when the game plan was made to fit his talents....

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Tigers-Put-the-Boom-on-the-Sooners-13401

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The difference

Aug 29, 2018, 12:54 PM

Not to mention that Cole played most of the year with one arm.

Maybe Dabo doesn't understand that the fans are not booing the players, but the coaches ....... not that it makes much difference as the way it comes across in the stadium or on TV. The boo birds ought to find another venue to express their expertise via booing. I'll never do it!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaches deciding the depth chart isn't weird.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Coaches deciding the depth chart isn't weird. ]

Why don’t we all grow a pair and let the man that has won more than we could dream COACH

Re: Yesterday I said that Dabo has handled the QB situation well

Aug 28, 2018, 8:36 PM

Imo he has a point, anyone that would even think about booing the kid doesn’t need to be in the stadium... obviously there are gonna be mistakes made by both qbs and believe it or not the coaches see these kids every day. Point is if KB makes a mistake and throws a pick or incomplete it would be pretty pathetic to hear boos. If those think that TL will go through this year without some ups and downs then that’s ignorant also. KB literally took us to the playoffs last year and with a little improvement from every position I don’t see why we couldn’t win it all with him. I can’t wait to see TL play don’t get me wrong I think he is the real deal but can anyone honestly say that they would rather see him start at TAMU at night that early in his career... when KB has been there and played great on the road in those crowds last year?

I could understand his comments about booing if we booed.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:39 PM

But I don't recall hearing our fan base boo Bryant or anyone else. I heard rumors about fans booing at the spring game, but everyone I have spoken with says they never heard boos. I also don't recall hearing boos during any of our games last year.

It would be one thing if we were the type of fan base to quickly turn on players, but we aren't. We are a supportive fan base, and don't deserve to be painted with that negative brush.

Re: I could understand his comments about booing if we booed.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:41 PM

Do you not remember the 2014 season at all? There were plenty of people that booed Stoudt. Some classless ##### even booed him at his graduation.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

I'll take your word for it.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:46 PM

Regardless, I don't think it's fair to lecture fans about booing when those fans are the ones who give your team an outstanding home field advantage and also played a huge role in you having the best facilities in the nation and a $7 million a year salary.

Re: I'll take your word for it.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:37 PM

He built that. Go to fgf

Please link to where Dabo said anything about booing

Aug 29, 2018, 6:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Yesterday I said that Dabo has handled the QB situation well ]

FAKE news

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2018, 8:38 PM

Hey Judge, Dabo was simply managing expectations with the fan base. Folks questened KB so Dabo released the stats. It is not up to the “fans” to have every piece of data as the coaches so they can make a judgement. Dabo and Streeter have earned the right to pick the QB.

BTW, he had to hedge his bets and give KB enough respect/snaps so he would stay another year as we will need him before it is all said and done. For on the field production and leadership

I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:43 PM

It would have made more sense to simply state that all three QBs have competed hard and shown improvement over the summer and during fall camp, that the competition is close but that Bryant is the starter for Furman, but all QBs will play. Period.

Releasing some stats for KB from some scrimmages but not all, and releasing no stats for the other QBs, will naturally raise questions from fans about what the coaching might be trying to hide. Did KB not play well in the scrimmage they omitted from the stats? Did Lawrence play really well and have great stats, thus the reason for the coaches not releasing them?

IMO, our coaches are the best in the business and don't need to justify their decisions. They have earned the right to simply state who they are starting this week and leave it at that.

I think

Aug 28, 2018, 8:51 PM

you are wrong and he doesn't owe us a darn thing!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I never said that Dabo "owes" us anything.

Aug 29, 2018, 2:58 PM

I am entitled to voice my opinion on a message board about how he handled the QB situation yesterday. In fact, I'm entitled - just as you are - to voice my opinion about any aspect of his job as our coach, good or bad.

Dabo isn't perfect. He's a great coach, program leader, and mentor. He is obviously doing things the right way in the way he runs our program, but he isn't off-limits when it comes to criticism. I agree with him 99% of the time, but not on this.

Re: I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:02 PM [ in reply to I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats. ]

Your last comment says it all! Yet you contradict everything you said prior by criticizing our coaching staff. I'm not sure who you are, not does it really matter to me honestly. You are tagged as a 110% poster and based on the responses, you seem to garner respect from other posters so I'll assume you earned that right. What I know for sure is this, boo babies exist. Dabo is setting expectations and as CEO of the best Clemson product in history, he has earned the right to say and be respected for his comments. To question or disrespect that at this point in his career sounds questionable to me. For anyone who does boo, I'll be glad to have a "civilized" midevil conversation with you at a game. This is one of the most disrespectful things a true Clemson fan could ever do and would violate Dabo's request, and unlike you, I was at the Spring game and heard the boos. They were subtle, in comparison to those for Stout, but could be heard. That same Stout guy, that haters boo'd , arguable finished his career with one of the programs most important wins from a building block standpoint. For that, I'm a forever gratef alum!! Be positive fans, and let the coaches do their job and say their piece, they have more than earned the right as they are the reason you get goose bumps every season now.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:03 PM [ in reply to I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats. ]

Your last comment says it all! Yet you contradict everything you said prior by criticizing our coaching staff. I'm not sure who you are, not does it really matter to me honestly. You are tagged as a 110% poster and based on the responses, you seem to garner respect from other posters so I'll assume you earned that right. What I know for sure is this, boo babies exist. Dabo is setting expectations and as CEO of the best Clemson product in history, he has earned the right to say and be respected for his comments. To question or disrespect that at this point in his career sounds questionable to me. For anyone who does boo, I'll be glad to have a "civilized" midevil conversation with you at a game. This is one of the most disrespectful things a true Clemson fan could ever do and would violate Dabo's request, and unlike you, I was at the Spring game and heard the boos. They were subtle, in comparison to those for Stout, but could be heard. That same Stout guy, that haters boo'd , arguable finished his career with one of the programs most important wins from a building block standpoint. For that, I'm a forever gratef alum!! Be positive fans, and let the coaches do their job and say their piece, they have more than earned the right as they are the reason you get goose bumps every season now.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:05 PM [ in reply to I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats. ]

It would have made more sense to simply state that all three QBs have competed hard and shown improvement over the summer and during fall camp, that the competition is close but that Bryant is the starter for Furman, but all QBs will play. Period.

Releasing some stats for KB from some scrimmages but not all, and releasing no stats for the other QBs, will naturally raise questions from fans about what the coaching might be trying to hide. Did KB not play well in the scrimmage they omitted from the stats? Did Lawrence play really well and have great stats, thus the reason for the coaches not releasing them?

IMO, our coaches are the best in the business and don't need to justify their decisions. They have earned the right to simply state who they are starting this week and leave it at that.

We get it...you don’t like the way Dabo handled the situation. Does not make you or Dabo right or wrong. Just different so let’s move on

How about this?

Aug 28, 2018, 9:15 PM [ in reply to I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats. ]

What if the fans stop thinking they’ve suddenly got the right to constantly MICRO-MANAGE OUR COACHES.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is this thread micro-managing our coaches?

Aug 29, 2018, 3:01 PM

It's an internet message board, designed to discuss Clemson sports. The QB race this year is a hot topic, especially since we haven't played a game yet. Surely you don't have a problem with this topic being a point of discussion?!?

I don't think our coaches need micro-managing. They are obviously doing a great job without our help. However, there is nothing wrong with fans on an internet message board to critique their words and actions. We are allowed to have an opinion too.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:20 PM [ in reply to I think he is making it worse by releasing partial stats. ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejbz4RVh0oU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2018, 8:40 PM

The second string QB is always the most popular person on the team as the saying goes. Any fan that boos and/or wants KB to fail are not fans and should not claim to be fans of the team. Stats from practice scrimmages mean nothing and even if he released every stat from every scrimmage and practice it would do nothing to calm those fans who are upset about KB starting. If yo haven't read it you need to get the little book. "How to lie with statistics:. I suspect Dabo knows about the book and is why he didn't release all the stats. I doubt that the stats played a big part in naming starters. As I heard one sportscaster talking about who was starting at QB for another team, he said "The players know who should be the starter". If the players are't upset with KB starting then you should not be. If you still are then rather than boo and hope KB gets hurt take your stats and go play in a fantasy league somewhere. They like stats.

That's exactly why I think it was a mistake to release stats

Aug 28, 2018, 8:48 PM

Our fans are smart enough to know that it looks like the coaches are compensating for or justifying their decision.

Re: That's exactly why I think it was a mistake to release stats

Aug 28, 2018, 10:36 PM

Just don’t show up. That way we don’t have hear you boo

I don't boo, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Aug 29, 2018, 3:03 PM

Did you read any of my posts?!?

I'm not defending those who boo our coaches or players. I am defending our fan base though, as we support our team as well as any fan base out there.

Weird are fans wanting to tell the coach how he should

Aug 28, 2018, 8:47 PM

micro manage HIS team and responsibilities. I’m sure he is all ears.

Dabo has no reason to respond to those fans.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:49 PM

They are a huge minority of our fan base. He needs to remember that almost all of the people in the stadium Saturday support him and the team 100%. No need to explain himself or justify his position. He's the coach and he's earned the right to state who is the starter. PERIOD.

Re: Dabo has no reason to respond to those fans.

Aug 28, 2018, 8:56 PM

Remember when Hatfield said if you want to boo just write boo on a letter and mail it to him,Judge you are normally real level headed with your post but you must be having a bad night.

Weird that you think I’m trying to tell Dabo anything.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Weird are fans wanting to tell the coach how he should ]

Dabo probably doesn’t read TigerNet, and if he does, I’m sure he doesn’t come here for coaching advice.

My post isn’t intended to reach Dabo. If I wanted to share my opinion with him, I would write him an email, give him a call, or put a letter in the mail. I know that he didn’t need my help.

The only point of posting my thoughts here was for conversation amongst fans. Nothing more.

Re: Weird are fans wanting to tell the coach how he should

Aug 28, 2018, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Weird are fans wanting to tell the coach how he should ]

If people were micro-managing the coaches, wouldn't they be in the coaches' offices or on the phone with them and not a public forum meant for discussions (regardless if it's about a game, the team, player performance, a position battle, or the fact that a coach released partial stats of only his chosen starter which does make things even worse)?? People have opinions, welcome to the digital age, where they are expressed more now. The 1970's died nearly 40 years ago.

Dang, I talked to Dabo direct and told him what he should do telepathically through TNet....how'd I miss that???

It came across to me that Dabo is warning fans that KB

Aug 28, 2018, 9:05 PM

may not look great. I thought it was a tad strange. Like anticipating that our fans will act like idiots.

I can't imagine anyone booing KB.

Re: It came across to me that Dabo is warning fans that KB

Aug 28, 2018, 9:13 PM

A couple of points. Dabo has said all along he would probably play both of them. He also just explained choosing KB to be the starter while saying he's never seen this kind of competition at QB. All that sounds pretty fair to me and smart. It could be that KB starts every game and that TL will play a lot in every game. It's unusual, but as Dabo says there's never been anything like this with both being so talented.

Agree with all that. KB should obviously start.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:20 PM

I just found it weird Dabo would think ppl would boo a guy who took a team to the playoff with a number 1 ranking after reg season as a first year starter. Not to mention, one of the best leaders and personalities on the team.

Heck, I'm not criticizing Dabo. I know we have some dumb fans just by reading tigernet, but I doubt most of them can afford tickets inside the stadium.

How could anyone thumbs down my post?

Aug 28, 2018, 9:45 PM

I guess it's a boobird who thinks TL should just be handed the keys.

You can't believe Kelly would be booed?

Aug 28, 2018, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Agree with all that. KB should obviously start. ]

He's going to hear boos any mistake he makes. First long throw that's off target or first pick and there will be boos. Kelly understands that. Dabo is just being proactive trying to limit it.

Clemson fans boo like any other fans. Danny's teams were booed. Groans and boos greeted plenty of 3rd and 10 full back dives in the 80's. The team was booed off the field down 30-0 against NC State at the half. When Tech pummeled us on Homecoming. Maryland shut us out 19-0.

You don't remember the boos in 2007 when VT came in and hammered us?

So yes, if we are down 14-0 off 2 pick6s, lol..

Aug 29, 2018, 5:29 AM

But KB isn't going to get boo'd just running out there... Which seemed like Dabo was insinuating. Dabo talking about fans essentially picking sides.

Groans? Of course. They'll be groans if TL is overthrowing wide open guys down the field. That's natural. I just don't see KB boo'd off the field...

Unless your above examples hold true and we are down 30-0 at the half!!

Aug 28, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to It came across to me that Dabo is warning fans that KB ]

No body has boooed anybody, so why make insinuations before there is a reason to insinuate other wise towards any body. That is same as stirring a clean pot with a dirty spoon!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Aug 29, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to It came across to me that Dabo is warning fans that KB ]

People will boo Kelly if he makes any mistakes trust me. If you remember the Stoudt/ Watson situation they pretty much booed every time "3 and out Stoudt" ran onto the field in the first couple of home games. To me, any fans who boo our own players are idiots and most likely are bandwagon fans. Kelly doesn't deserve to be booed for any reason at all and true Clemson fans won't boo because they know what it means to be a part of the Clemson family.

Aug 28, 2018, 9:30 PM

I think as a fan base we can take this situation into our own hands. If you are at any game this year and a Clemson fan near you starts to boo either a player or coach just start yelling, screaming and whistling and cover their classless behavior up with some supportive noise.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:00 PM

Its pretty obvious this is why Dabo mentioned the issue. He speaking of a small fraction of the fanbase that may boo. His objective is clearly to get the vast majority of fans to be on guard in an effort to "self police" our fans. And I was at the Spring game and heard people booing KB. I also remember people booing Stoudt. To the people who are getting all worked up, he wasnt talking about you, he was talking to you. My God we are spoiled.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:29 PM

He said nothing about booing. Listen to it!!!! You posting uninformed crap stirs the pot.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:41 PM

I think judge is getting his coot out

FAKE NEWS You are a perpetuating a lie Post a link to where

Aug 29, 2018, 6:11 AM

Dabo said anything about fans booing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was actually a front page story on TigerNet.

Aug 29, 2018, 3:07 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Dabo-has-strong-message-to-fans-who-might-boo-a-QB-They-are-all-Clemson-Tigers-17159

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic