Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2018 Basketball Roster
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

2018 Basketball Roster

May 14, 2018, 11:26 AM

Here's what I got:

Point:
S Mitchell - SR
A Oliver - SO

SG/Combo:
M Reed - SR
C Trapp - SO
J Newman - Fr

SF:
A Simms SO
H Tyson FR

PF/C:
E Thomas SR
T Jamison FR
J White JR

Sorry, I did no list walkons and I assume Mitchell and Reed are back (fingers crossed especially on Mitchell - we lose a lot without him at point).

Comments:

1. Mitchell is a a great PG but we need a backup desperately. We haven't yet recruited the heir at PG - unless Oliver can turn himself into a point guard. Oliver is not a natural point and can also play off guard, but taking over the point in relief of Mitchell could be his most important minutes.

2. At Shooting guard, we are good with Reed. Trapp has shown flashes. Both maybe counted on to handle the ball at times (for better or worse). Newman has a chance to make an impact if he can earn BB's trust. We will see how he fares going from High School to ACC competition.

3. At small forward, I have sophomore Amir Simms, with a great first year and now needs to take another step. Shot selection is an area of work, but we need him to maintain that confidence. Malik William did not get to play as much in year one and the staff is looking for his development into meaningful minutes. Freshman Hunter Tyson looks slender but that doesn't mean he won't play. This depends on his readiness and earning that trust from the Staff. I like his stroke.

4. At Power Forward and Center, we do not have a pure center. Depending upon opposing match-ups, it does not matter. Thomas is the old man here. He works primarily inside in classic style for his frame. If he wants to take the next step, he has to improve his mid-range because opposing big men can shut him down with size advantage. Otherwise, he does a great job of drawing fouls and scoring. As a junior transfer, we should expect a lot from Javan White. He's athletic and bright and could help tremendously at forward. Trey Jemison is a freshman athletic big body that chose Clemson over offers from all over the southeast. A guy like that will always have a chance to play if he can earn the coaches trust.

sitting transfer- J Baehre - Long, slender, can shoot. But, that is next year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2018 Basketball Roster

May 14, 2018, 11:29 AM

I thought Trapp played pg and Oliver was a wing player.

The problem is that it is hard to tell who can spell...

May 14, 2018, 11:31 AM

Mitchell at point.

Yes....Trapp more suited for PG....

May 14, 2018, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Roster ]

He got some minutes there this year...Oliver looks like our best chance at replacing DeVoe's shooting.
Hopefully Mitchell and/or Reed comes back...if not, we will be awfully thin in the backcourt.

May 14, 2018, 11:36 AM

I don't see Mitchell or Reed returning. They both graduated and, in my opinion, will head overseas to earn a paycheck

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2018, 11:42 AM

Leave it to David to blow your thoughts up;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be devastating - loss of experience, points etc.***

May 14, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Roster ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2018, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Roster ]

How long do they have to announce their intentions?

May 30? or June 11?

May 14, 2018, 1:24 PM

one of those is the last day to remove their names from the list to maintain eligibility.. a quick search says May 30 for the NCAA... but June 11 for the NBA?

i think May 30 looks like the better date

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/04/24/nba-draft-pool-decisions-withdrawal-deadline

May 14, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Roster ]

David, If you are correct does Coach Brownell have any frosh or transfer waiting for immediate playing time? From his comments at Prowl & Growl events he seemed confident both would likely return, money does talk, especially after graduation.

Go Tigers!

May 14, 2018, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Basketball Roster ]

My whole day was good until i read this post

May 14, 2018, 9:43 PM

Trapp backup PG and Oliver backup SG

I sure hope Reed and Mitchell come back!***

May 14, 2018, 9:46 PM

Re: I sure hope Reed and Mitchell come back!***

May 14, 2018, 9:49 PM

Although we have more talent around than when KJ left, do you think this would be a bigger setback than that? Man BOTH of them would be a major heartbreak. I've really enjoyed watching them play and they were a major part of the best season in clemson basketball in a LONG time. I do not want to be saying "what if" next year

yes, we don't have a PG if Shelly leaves***

May 14, 2018, 11:16 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sure hope Reed and Mitchell come back!***

May 14, 2018, 10:18 PM [ in reply to I sure hope Reed and Mitchell come back!*** ]

They certainly seem to complement each other as well as any guards we've had in a long time . If they stay and we win the conference or go deep in NCAA ,they would have more recognition for the pros .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, they already play in the ACC, how much more exposure

May 14, 2018, 11:18 PM

is there?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic