Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was that really the best Bama team of all time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Was that really the best Bama team of all time?

Jan 10, 2019, 12:29 PM

Before you answer that...

If Bama had beaten Clemson 44-16 would Bama version 2018 go down as the greatest of all time?

I know that in 2016 the Bama defense was supposed to be the greatest of all time but Watson and company torched that D for 35 points in the CFP championship game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes that was Bamas GOAT

Jan 10, 2019, 12:33 PM

They just happen to be playing College Footballs GOAT.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

id like to think so and we smashed them

Jan 10, 2019, 12:34 PM

making us the best of all time

Re:No, I think it was ESPiN propaganda

Jan 10, 2019, 12:58 PM

The SEC was really good in 2011-13. They had 3 Top 5 teams each year (including USCe in 2013). Bama was the only top 5 from 2014-16 (#4/#1/#2) until UGA joined them in 2017 (Bama#1, UGA#2). Some other SEC have been creeping up (UF, LSU) in the top 10. By proclaiming 2018 Bama as GOAT, that makes the rest if the SEC look better than some actually are (UGA for example). They will never say Bama is good, but the rest of the SEC is underachieving, they save that for us and the ACC.

At first I though ND was overrated; maybe we are just that good.

No, that wasn't even the best Bama team we played***

Jan 10, 2019, 12:37 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was the really the best Bama team of all time?

Jan 10, 2019, 12:41 PM

I think people have gotten the best Alabama QB of all time confused with this being the greatest Alabama team of all time, which it clearly wasn't. Now if they would have blown us out then the coronation would be well under regardless.

Jan 10, 2019, 12:42 PM

I personally don’t think so. I rewatched the game and their defensive line wasn’t even close to the best that we played in 2018. I mean I have every ounce of faith in our OL but that Alabama front made them look invincible. I don’t know if it was lack of effort after they’d already given up or what but on a majority of the plays it appeared as if they were just slapping hands with our guys. No leg drive, no swim moves, nothing. And Georgia obviously put everyone on notice that Alabama’s secondary had a huge leak as well. I don’t buy the narrative. That wasn’t the best Alabama team that I’ve seen.

Jan 10, 2019, 12:47 PM

Best Bama defense: 2016 and the tigers win
Best Bama offense: 2018 and the tigers win

I always want to play bama's best

I'm guessing this is the most accurate assessment

Jan 10, 2019, 1:16 PM

So, what year was Bama "overall" their best and most rounded team?

Re: I'm guessing this is the most accurate assessment

Jan 10, 2019, 1:32 PM

Not sure Bert. But if that 2016 Alabama team had Tua... that would have been it. :)

Re: I'm guessing this is the most accurate assessment

Jan 10, 2019, 2:32 PM [ in reply to I'm guessing this is the most accurate assessment ]

Realistically, it would be their '61 or '79 team and I personally am leaning toward the '61 team.

Saban's best teams 2016 or 2018 did not win it all and the next best 2009 was not a dominating team.

I think their 2016 team was better TBH***

Jan 10, 2019, 12:43 PM

2016 was their best defense

Jan 10, 2019, 12:48 PM

But offense left a lot to be desired.

It was still a pretty solid offense

Jan 10, 2019, 1:27 PM

And their defense was insane and generated a lot of points of it's own that year.

Their offense is probably what allowed us to win that game though. They hit us for a handful of big plays and scored 31 points, but they couldn't sustain drives or move the ball with any consistency on us all night. Getting the ball right back over and over allowed us to wear down that defense that really dominated our offense for about three quarters. If they had any weakness at all on defense it was the same one that most Bama defenses have - Saban doesn't like to rotate players much. They got worn out.

Jan 10, 2019, 12:46 PM

No, that was not the best Bama team of all-time by a long shot.

That was the best Bama "offense" of all-time, in my view. Defensively, they had holes.

So basically, what everyone is saying is eSECpn and press...

Jan 10, 2019, 1:40 PM

...tried to sell them off as the BEST OF ALL TIME when overall they were a very good team but not the best complete package. It would be interesting to see how eSECpn would rank the top 5 all-time Bama teams by year.

Not even close

Jan 10, 2019, 1:42 PM

The 1961 Alabama team went 11-0 and outscored opponents by avg of 27-2 over the course of the year.
Bear Bryants 1st NC. QB Pat Trammel died of cancer @28. Bill Oliver was on that team. They beat Fran Tarkenton of UGA 32-6 in the season opener.

Bama's had a LOT of better teams. Lazy sports writers/Talking Heads just don't want to do the research before they spout out "Best of All Time" - Every. Single. Year. yawn.

There are some flat ### domineering teams if you go back far

Jan 10, 2019, 1:59 PM

enough. Fielding Yost's 1901-1905 michigan teams went 55-1-1, outscoring opponents 2821-42 over 5 years. But in the recent era, the ACC has had some of the very best. 2013 FSU, 1999 FSU, 2001 Miami. All three of those teams would be in the top 20 of all time on anyone's list. 1961 Bama might be the best ever SEC team. 1994-5 Nebraska is in there, 44-45 Army teams are in there. Hell, Harvard went 50 years before losing their first 50 games. Lots of "best ever" teams out there.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic