Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and

Mar 11, 2019, 3:47 PM

to Clemson. The 3rd leading scorer in the conference has made 1st team 8 of the last 10 years, and only once failed to at least make 2nd team. Just a crying shame.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and

Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 PM

Yep. It is a dang deep list of players this year but he surely deserves first team over Barrett. Duke just is always the talk of the week and rightfully so. The media loves them tho so ofcourse their best 2 players are gonna be there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2019, 4:05 PM

No he doesnt deserve first team over Barrett. Barrett is twice the player Reed is. Totally different levels. Reed will be lucky to play a single game in the NBA.

I honestly did not expect him to make 1st team either,

Mar 11, 2019, 4:19 PM

given the competition, but figured he was a shoe-in for 2nd team given the year he had all-around.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I honestly did not expect him to make 1st team either,

Mar 12, 2019, 12:33 AM

I can see his inconsistency putting him in at 2nd team. 3rd is wrong.

Mar 11, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: 3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and ]

Okay Barrett statistically has had an amazing year as well. Reed should be in over Johnson tho. I think Johnson is one of the best players in the nation but Reed has better stats across the board and carried his team. Ofcourse Barrett is a better basketball player overall. Heck he would he one of the better players in the NBA. That has nothing to do with who should be all conference tho.

It is not an NBA draft list , it is a college ...

Mar 11, 2019, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: 3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and ]

all conference pick, ,it all comes down to his college level and ability , not where he might be after college, ..and yes, statistics ,with other intangibles being the value to his particular team and the burden that he carries for the team, , so I think he deserves at least second team, too .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is not an NBA draft list , it is a college ...

Mar 11, 2019, 10:55 PM

Yes and Barrett is at a different level in college too. Night and day.

Mar 12, 2019, 12:13 PM

Not really. Reed plays better D and has a much better jump shot.

Mar 12, 2019, 1:48 PM

I see them at a completely different level. I would take Barrett any day of the week on all levels. Moreover, I would take Barrett any day of the week to have to create to get a last second shot off. If you're correct, and they are ballpark close, Reed should have a nice NBA career. I hope you're right. I haven't seen that side of Reed.

Mar 11, 2019, 4:06 PM

to Clemson. The 3rd leading scorer in the conference has made 1st team 8 of the last 10 years, and only once failed to at least make 2nd team. Just a crying shame.

I would also love to see how many past ACC players who were not only 3rd in scoring, but also the LEAGUE LEADER IN FTs AND STEALS, failed to make the first team. Furthermore, the fact that he is only one of two players in the nation who has that 19ppg, 5.5rpg, 3.0apg, and 2.0spg stat line, it is really unbelievable he did not make first team.

Mar 11, 2019, 4:18 PM

Its more than just stats. Barrett was splitting stats with other studs. Its kind of like our WR's. It would have been laughable if Reed was first team over Barrett. Just about every Clemson fan would take Barrett over Reed if we were building a team for a game.

Mar 11, 2019, 4:27 PM

Maybe he will take it all out on NCSU Wednesday ..... and then Virginia .... and then

Mar 11, 2019, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: 3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and ]

You could also argue it is easier foe Barrett to score when he has Zion on his team. Reed is our go to guy and everybody we play knows it. Barrett is amazing no doubt. That is like arguing that Deon and Ray Ray are better than Renfrow. Ofcourse Deon and Ray Ray are better athletes but who was the better WR? Okay so not so much line arguing that lol because Barrett has lived up to expectations but you can't just say a guy should be first team because of talent is all I'm saying.

Mar 11, 2019, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: 3rd team is a slap in the face to Marcquise Reed and ]

It's really simple to see that the player wasn't being graded, it was the team that he plays for. What is really shameful, is that the Clemson admin has allowed Clemson basketball to live with the bottom feeders for so long. We tend to blame Brownell for what our admin has been the blame for, and that is the reason why it's pretty much impossible to get top BB talent to join Clemson BB. Just as our FB facilities makes it hard for top players to say no to, then our coaching staff makes it even harder. Count the 5 star players that has come to play for Clemson in the past 6-7 years compared to 10 to 20 years before Dabo and our FB facility up grades....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love you.***

Mar 11, 2019, 10:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Yes, but not surprising.

Mar 11, 2019, 4:38 PM

The ACC loves slapping Clemson.

100% agree, Reed should absolutely be 2nd team***

Mar 11, 2019, 5:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Mar 11, 2019, 5:23 PM

It would be nice if he would tell them to shove their opinion of him up their A$$ES!!!

It's partially a reflection that our basketball program.....

Mar 11, 2019, 5:31 PM

gets little respect. So our players tend not to either.

Yep, like CJ Spiller and the Heisman

Mar 12, 2019, 8:40 AM

You just can't stack up a highlight reel that overcomes losing to Maryland, Boston College, and Georgia Tech every year

Best Is The Standard

Does it really matter? For some reason, I am reminded of

Mar 12, 2019, 9:20 AM

Andruw Jones whining several years ago about the Braves $14,000,000 a year offer being a slap in the face, saying "I can't feed my family on $14,000,000 a year." (He went on to be one of the biggest busts in free agent history with the Dodgers.) 3rd Team in the ACC basketball conference is still a way above average honor, especially with as many teams as we have now. I think they get paid just as much as first teamers for the honor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I believe it matters.

Mar 12, 2019, 9:58 AM

Marcquise has worked his tail off, returned to school despite already graduating last spring, and has helped our basketball season tremendously. He has had an excellent all-around performance this season in terms of scoring, steals, and free throw percentage. While there are a lot of other great players in the ACC this year, who have also worked hard and played well, I have a hard time understanding how the ACC's third leading scorer isn't on the first team (or at least the second team).

I just want our players, regardless of the sport, to get the respect they deserve for their accomplishments. How did you feel when Deshaun Watson was snubbed for the Heisman? Did you also say "it doesn't matter?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Yes, I believe it matters.

Mar 12, 2019, 10:58 AM

Judge, everything you said is true. But, the voters don't see the behind the scenes stuff, or how much he might mean to our team. Unfortunately for us, and him, probably the first thing that comes to mind, in their mind, is the choke down the stretch against Nancys Tate. That should not define him, but unfortunately it is one of the more memorable moments of the season to outsiders, and (I think) had a lot to do with him being relegated to 3rd team status.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That, plus the fact that he doesn't play for Duke or UNC.***

Mar 12, 2019, 11:55 AM

If we’d won half the close games we lost, there would be

Mar 12, 2019, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Yes, I believe it matters. ]

... an entirely different perspective on Clemson and the players this year.

I believe that there is an ingrained bias regarding Clemson basketball that is manifested in everything from getting calls from officials, to recognition in national polls, to votes for All-ACC honors.

We constantly fight this bias and it’s not that the college hoops universe hates us ... we’ve just dug such a deep hole over the past half century that it’s human nature for people to view our program the way they do. It will be really hard to change this.

We had a chance to follow up our success last year with another strong showing that would have helped begin to erase this bias, but we fell short and took a step backward.

We can turn this season completely around with a win Wednesday that ignites a run through the NCAAs. But, it was just too late for our individual players to gain recognition for themselves this season.

So, that much said ... GO TIGERS ... beat The Pack!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we’d won half the close games we lost, there would be

Mar 12, 2019, 1:21 PM

Right on Apex. It’s not to late to begin turning this image around and it starts Wednesday at noon. Wouldn’t it be great to see about 6000 Tiger fans at this game....or more? Let’s do it. You have to start somewhere and where better than the ACC tourney? National tv. Top announcers (I hope). Exciting team. We can help control this game. Be there and be loud

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic