Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Give him a lifetime extension!!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Give him a lifetime extension!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 9:03 PM

because 6 years clearly wasn’t enough

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't give 'em any ideas.***

Jan 22, 2019, 9:04 PM

yikes , I think this was meant for the BKB board?***

Jan 22, 2019, 9:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yikes , I think this was meant for the BKB board?***

Jan 22, 2019, 9:05 PM

Poasted from my phone... oops

Re: yikes , I think this was meant for the BKB board?***

Jan 22, 2019, 9:07 PM

I do it all the time, on my computer it ask 3 times am I sure I want to post in blank forum but phone just sends it right on. Either way the message doesn’t ring any less true

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Give him a lifetime extension!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 9:09 PM

I think the loss to FSU tonight marks the end of CBB. I think he will be our coach next year, but we aren't going to the tournament this year and we will be worse next year. That's going to be all she wrote for Brad.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:18 PM

Wishful thinking...,,,but hope you are right.....Roll Tigers!!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 9:21 PM

I think his buyout is small after next season.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:16 PM

And while we are throwing away money let’s make sure we include a raise every year..... Roll Tigers!!!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 9:55 PM

Will you please knock it off with the “Roll Tigers?” It’s an obvious ripoff from Bama and it sounds stupid. Stop it.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:50 PM

I will not ....and calling me names will not stop me little buddy.....Roll Tigers!!!!!

Jan 22, 2019, 10:54 PM

And the only thing that got ripped was Bama.....little and I mean little buddy... Roll Tigers!! !!! !!!

Jan 23, 2019, 7:35 AM

Stop saying "roll Tigers." It sounds like you're trying to ride Bama's coattails like a coot. And it doesn't make any sense anyway, tigers don't roll.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:58 PM

What you say..........Roll Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Jan 23, 2019, 2:47 PM

Again, what is this Roll Tigers crap?

Jan 23, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Give him a lifetime extension!!!! ]

Tigers eat, they don’t roll

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

b2wf - though I may like your posts . . .

Jan 23, 2019, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Give him a lifetime extension!!!! ]

I will never TU a “Roll Tiger” . . . sorry, I just can’t do it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

come on now...he's had one good year. Don't you think that

Jan 22, 2019, 9:43 PM

deserves a contract extension with an insane buyout? What do you want, two good years in the same decade?

Re: come on now...he's had one good year. Don't you think that

Jan 22, 2019, 9:59 PM

I don't think his buyout is huge next year.

Last year was one of our best seasons ever.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:22 PM [ in reply to come on now...he's had one good year. Don't you think that ]

Seriously, we made the Sweet 16 for the fourth time ever, and first time in 20 years. How many seasons in our 100-plus year basketball history have been better?

Elite Eight team in 1980 under Bill Foster
Sweet 16 team in 1997 under Rick Barnes

The only other Sweet 16 team was the 1990 team coached by Cliff Ellis, and that no longer counts due to us vacating those wins due to NCAA infractions. That was a great team, but we cheated so it isn't fair to consider that in my opinion.

It's apples and oranges, but in football, when we've had one of our best seasons ever, we give huge raises and even talk about giving the coach a lifetime contract. What's so ridiculous about giving Brownell a raise and extension after last year?

Only time will tell if it pays off, but I would much rather give a successful coach a raise and hope that it pays off, rather than be cheap like we historically have been when it comes to basketball and almost certainly lose him when another team comes calling with more money and better support.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So you think ONE good year out of eight deserves a

Jan 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

new contract? Seriously? Usually it's not just the one year that gets the raise/contract. It's the direction of the program. One good year does not indicate a positive direction. It could just be an aberration and then we fall back to the norm the next year. Oh wait...

Yes, I believe he deserved a raise.

Jan 23, 2019, 12:18 PM

In addition to one of our best seasons ever, we also had our highest graduation rate and team GPA ever. We have had zero disciplinary issues in our basketball program recently. Plus, recruiting has improved over the last few years, and we of course have the new facilities as well.

You have to capitalize on the momentum. Obviously it's a gamble, but the alternative is to not give him a raise. That can potentially backfire in three huge ways:

1. He continues having success, but leaves when other programs come calling because he remembers that Clemson didn't support him/reward him.
2. Recruits see that we don't support basketball, and believe other coaches who use that against us ("See, Clemson is a football school that doesn't care about basketball.")
3. Other coaches see that we don't reward improvement and success. Why would they want to coach at Clemson if offered?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Brownell is terrible. And you should know--making

Jan 23, 2019, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Last year was one of our best seasons ever. ]

the Sweet 16 isn't the goal...getting to the tournament is. Once you get there, you hope for the best. He can't get us there consistently--or really at all. Purnell took us three straight years. The first round losses were not indicative of his coaching success, just as Brownell's one Sweet 16 appearance is not indicative of his failure. Also, his one other tourney appearance was on the backs of Purnell's players.

What last year should tell you is that if Brownell stumbles into a transfer-laden team with talent that overwhelms his limitations as a coach, then the team can have success. How long do you want to wait for years like that to come along?

Give me a coach like Purnell who brings a different (and entertaining!) style that allows us to compete consistently over a marginal-at-best coach who accidentally has a few tourney wins once every eight years.

If you're happy just making the tournament

Jan 23, 2019, 12:21 PM

but losing in the first round every year, that's your prerogative. I would prefer to actually see some success there.

It's not fair to assume that last year was something Brownell just lucked his way into. You realize that he had to recruit those transfers, right? You realize that he had to help develop their talents, right?

Only time will tell if last year was an anomaly or not. I'm personally not okay only making the NCAA Tournament once every few years, so if we don't make it this year or next, then I believe it will certainly be time for a coaching change.

It's past time for a coaching change***

Jan 23, 2019, 12:27 PM

As usual, the question becomes, who do we get?

Jan 23, 2019, 12:45 PM

The reality is that Clemson has a reputation for not caring about basketball on an administrative level, and not supporting basketball on a fan level. This reputation is mostly deserved.

We can either fix it, or we can't. But what we cannot do is fire a coach, and expect to get someone who will do better while continuing to be lukewarm in our support of basketball.

I believe we can and should be a basketball school. Being a football school doesn't prevent us from also being passionate about basketball. But that desire has to be real, and it has to be sustained. It can't mean that our administration addresses facilities inconsistently, and is cheap when it comes to assistant coach salaries and basketball program budgets. It also can't mean that our fans only show up for games against Duke and UNC, and use every excuse under the sun for not showing up to games to cheer, be loud, and support the team well.

This is such a tired and scared argument.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:54 PM

I'm just going to assume that somewhere on the planet there is a coach who can get us to the tourney more than once every nine years. Do you not agree with that?

Perception is reality.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:08 PM

The perception of Clemson is that it is a good school which is rabid about football, with recent success to prove it, but doesn't really care about basketball, nor support it with any level of significance or consistency from the administration or the fan base.

If you're a really good basketball coach, why would you consider Clemson? Getting the chance to coach in the ACC isn't very appealing if you feel that the deck is stacked against you before you arrive. Maybe you can convince a great coach to come to Clemson, but unless we change his mind while he is here about our support of basketball, he will just leave for a better situation.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't try to get a great coach, but based on our history, I won't hold my breath that our administration or fans are serious about basketball.

Above is the issue...I grew up with UNC and Duke relatives..

Jan 23, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to As usual, the question becomes, who do we get? ]

When I chose Clemson I knew I was going to a non-basketball/football school. That was 1994. (Little did I know it would take some time to even become a football school again, but I digress).

Dabo had it easier than any Basketball Coach would because Clemson has been traditionally a football school. The interest was there and finally a coach and the administration aligned and.... magic.

The question is what would it take for Basketball to do something at (let's say) 80% of what Dabo has done. I am talking about winning our first real ACC title (regular season or tournament), then winning it once every 5 years. On top of that making the tourney every 2-3 years and making a final 4 run.

This level of success is simply an uphill battle at Clemson and the question is how to achieve it. I don't know.

This year and next are very important.

Jan 23, 2019, 3:24 PM

If Brad can make the NCAA Tournament this year and next, it will mark 3 years in a row of NCAA appearances. We will have momentum, coupled with nice facilities and good support from the administration/athletic department. However, if this year goes south and next year is a struggle, then we must make a change. We can't allow the positives currently in our program to go away without capitalizing on them. Otherwise, we will be right back to square one as a "football school" who doesn't care about basketball and who has the results to prove it.

And if you're happy making the tournament once in a

Jan 23, 2019, 1:58 PM [ in reply to If you're happy just making the tournament ]

blue moon and winning two games instead of none, that's your prerogative. Getting to the tournament is ALWAYS the goal. After that, it's about match-ups. Look at who we played under Purnell--A Nova team that was better than a 12 seed and won the title the next year...we also blew a huge lead in the second half; a Michigan team that played that funky Beilein zone that threw us off, and then Missouri, who was basically a better version of us...pressing, high-tempo, athletic.

Here's what I know--if you can't get to the tourney, you can't win a game. Brownell can't get us there. If you want that, you can have it.

Please let me know when Oliver Purnell finally

Jan 23, 2019, 2:10 PM

gets his first NCAA Tournament win. Until then, your excuses for why he hasn't EVER done so will remain sad and pathetic.

Why are you carrying the water for a coach who has proven

Jan 23, 2019, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Last year was one of our best seasons ever. ]

that he cannot win?

Because I support coaches who love Clemson

Jan 23, 2019, 12:29 PM

and who work their tails off for Clemson.

You have no idea how crappy the situation behind the scenes was when Brownell took the job here. There were major issues within the team, as well as within the athletic department, which he has worked hard to fix. In addition, he almost single-handedly raised the money from donors to obtain the necessary funding for our new facilities. He has run a clean program, with the highest team GPA and graduation rate we have ever had for basketball. I do not recall any disciplinary issues recently either.

Obviously the main point is to win. Although we have not made as many NCAA Tournaments as we had hoped thus far, the fact remains that he has won at a much higher level than our historical program average. His overall winning percentage at Clemson, and our ACC winning percentage, speaks for itself. As you know, the ACC is an extremely competitive conference.

I am disappointed in our season thus far, but rather than bash him and the program, why not support the team? We have had a rough start to conference play, which we have known about since the schedule was released. This team will either rally and put together some nice conference wins, or they won't. That will dictate the season. It isn't fair or reasonable to declare this season a failure at this point, on January 23, with so many games left to play.

If we don't make the NCAA Tournament this year, that will be disappointing. If that is the case, I don't think Brad will be fired after this season, but it will put more pressure on him next season. I do have real concerns about the returning players next year. I don't see the talent necessary to make the NCAA Tournament, but we should obviously cross that bridge if/when we come to it. In the meantime, I'll keep supporting Coach Brownell and the team. I suggest you do the same.

Re: Because I support coaches who love Clemson

Jan 23, 2019, 12:44 PM

Watson4heisman®
All-American [559]
TigerPulse: 98%
Give him a lifetime extension!!!! [1]
Posted: Jan 22, 2019 9:03 PM

because 6 years clearly wasn’t enough

everyone is disappointed. this team should be better and believe it or not it is early and a lot can change. fact of the matter is coach b will not cheat. and in todays bball world that will leave you sucking fumes. every coach will tell you how good a coach he is but unless he is willing to live in the gray area just a bit we can only expect to be good every so often. that is just a fact, like it or not.

You don't know what I know. And one thing I know is that

Jan 23, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Because I support coaches who love Clemson ]

Brownell simply doesn't win. It can't be stated more clearly than that.

LOL okay.***

Jan 23, 2019, 2:09 PM

Why not? Tommy Bowden got 'em just for winning one game...***

Jan 23, 2019, 7:50 AM [ in reply to come on now...he's had one good year. Don't you think that ]

Yep and it was dumb then too. I thought DRad was smarter

Jan 23, 2019, 11:06 AM

than that.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:12 PM

Can it be? Others are starting to see the light? One good season out of 8 does not make a good coach. Brad is Tommy

I don't remember Tommy giving us one of our best football

Jan 22, 2019, 11:25 PM

seasons ever like Brad did last year.

We made our fourth Sweet 16 ever (really three, since the 1990 Sweet 16 team had its wins vacated due to NCAA infractions). That's worth acknowledging and rewarding a coach for. Obviously there is risk involved in that move, but would you rather Clemson not reward a coach after such a successful season?!?

Hint: not rewarding a basketball coach at Clemson for a great season is even more ammo for other schools and coaches to use against us in recruiting. "Clemson doesn't care about basketball" is something that gets thrown about regularly in basketball circles, and is the reason why recruiting top basketball players to Clemson is very very hard. Actually supporting the program is a great way to overcome that, with the hope that more consistency will soon follow.

Re: I don't remember Tommy giving us one of our best football

Jan 23, 2019, 3:08 AM

Yeah, but he doesn't go to the tournament enough if he doesn't go this year and next year. That's the problem will be. He would have gone to the tournament twice in 10 years and once in the last 9 years.

I agree, that's not good enough.

Jan 23, 2019, 12:31 PM

We should expect to make the NCAA Tournament every year. If we don't make it this year, he should have a lot of pressure on him next year. If we also don't make it next year, he should be fired.

Re: I agree, that's not good enough.

Jan 23, 2019, 12:34 PM

Looking at our schedule, we could still make the tournament this year. I would say we have 25% chance. It's not over. Our schedule looks soft. Of course we need someone to get hot and start carrying us.

You're lost in the wilderness, man.

Jan 23, 2019, 11:58 AM [ in reply to I don't remember Tommy giving us one of our best football ]

If you think Brownell is successful because he's had one legit tourney experience since he's been here, you don't know how college basketball works.

He has not had success. He had one good year and a bunch of bad years. That's it. Period.

If you expect Brad or anyone else to be successful

Jan 23, 2019, 12:41 PM

with lukewarm administrative support and even worse fan support, then you're dreaming.

Brad's first six years had ups and downs. Because of a lot of obstacles he had when he arrived, known and unknown by the public, I put more weight on year 7 and beyond.

Brad finally got some staff raises and budget for support staff he requested for years. He finally has good facilities to show recruits. And he finally seems to have good administrative support. Last year was a great year, and the key is for him to sustain that success. I believe Clemson should expect to make the NCAA Tournament every year.

However, since you are portraying him as a horrible coach, and making it sound like others were so much better at Clemson, please read:

Brad Brownell at Clemson:
Overall winning percentage .573
ACC winning percentage .472

Oliver Purnell at Clemson:
Overall winning percentage .605
ACC winning percentage .446

Larry Shyatt at Clemson:
Overall winning percentage .455
ACC winning percentage .250

Rick Barnes at Clemson:
Overall winning percentage .607
ACC winning percentage .438

Cliff Ellis at Clemson:
Overall winning percentage .580
ACC winning percentage .384

Look, we all want to see more success at Clemson when it comes to basketball, and we should expect that from Coach Brownell at this point. But please stop portraying him as this awful coach who has failed miserably. You obviously don't like him, but why can't you support him and the team since he is our coach for the time being?

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic