Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hokie fans being very unclassy about their new HC...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 5,826

Hokie fans being very unclassy about their new HC...

Apr 7, 2019, 9:06 PM

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtbasketball/

Hasn't even coached a game yet.

Have they ever bern this no classy before?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most

Apr 7, 2019, 9:08 PM

of his career and at Wofford. You would be crapping your pants like Joe Paterno if Clemson made this hire.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s made the NCAA Tourney...

Apr 7, 2019, 9:14 PM

5 of the last 10 years. That’s a much better resume than we can point to and coming out of lil ol’ Wofford.

If he’s mediocre, what is Brad?

Re: He’s made the NCAA Tourney...

Apr 7, 2019, 9:18 PM

Mike's first game will be back in the Upstate as Va Tech comes to Clemson on Nov 5th. Might be a battle who doesn't finish in 13th or lower place...

Are you stupid? It's the SoCon for crying out loud.

Apr 7, 2019, 9:23 PM [ in reply to He’s made the NCAA Tourney... ]

What is Brad's record against him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, a one bid league. Which means you win

Apr 7, 2019, 9:52 PM

the conference tournament or go home. He won it 5 of the last 10 years. 10 straight years with a winning conference record. He wasn't beating his peers with ACC talent, or any of the numerous major schools they knocked off. His overall record is very deceiving as any low major is playing tons of money games in the non-conference. And he was winning championships when Davidson was still in the SoCon

So you would be doing cart wheels if Clemson hired him?

Apr 7, 2019, 9:56 PM

Uh-huh

I'd have been very pleased

Apr 7, 2019, 10:11 PM

he can flat out coach. He'll be at VT until he's fired or retires, he isnt heading to another job. VT isnt a stepping stone for him, just as Clemson wouldn't have been. If he succeeds he'll leave a foundation that VT has never had. Only question is can he recruit? I'd expect him to hire a couple of young, go getter assistants to do that. His reputation is impeccable so good people will want to work for him.

A young, hot coach likely moves on from VT just like Buzz did. Why not hire a proven guy who will be a lifer? Worked for Miami with Larranaga until the last 2 years

Only time will tell what kind of hire it is.***

Apr 7, 2019, 9:21 PM [ in reply to It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Almost as bad as hiring a WR coach as a head coach.

Apr 7, 2019, 9:27 PM [ in reply to It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most ]

Haven't we learned our lesson on judging prematurely

Or an offensive line coach 40 years ago***

Apr 7, 2019, 10:12 PM

Re: It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most

Apr 8, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most ]

Hiring a coach that teaches disciplined team basketball, what a terrible idea.

Re: It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most

Apr 8, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to It's a horrible hire. He has been mediocre most ]

Hiring a coach that teaches disciplined team basketball, what a terrible idea.

Apparently they'll be paying him 2.4 mil/year

Apr 7, 2019, 9:17 PM

Hard to believe he wouldn't have taken the job for less money, considering he was making ~$170k at Wofford. I suppose he might have gone somewhere else if they tried to lowball him, though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Apparently they'll be paying him 2.4 mil/year

Apr 7, 2019, 9:21 PM

/\ Wow, I would be a little upset as a Tech fan with that much money they are offering a career mid major coach.

You think it would been around a million or a little more starting out? They could have done a lot better with even some younger up and comers with that much money.

Re: Hokie fans being very unclassy about their new HC...

Apr 7, 2019, 9:22 PM

First, what’s up with the grammar? Post less so you can spend more time editing for clarity.

Second, any ACC fanbase would have this reaction for this hire.

Re: Hokie fans being very unclassy about their new HC...

Apr 7, 2019, 9:32 PM

lots of folks here werent happy about a football coach who hadnt been a coordinator or HC either. Fans are gonna be fans

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Young can flat out coach

Apr 7, 2019, 9:48 PM

His style meshes with what Buzz was already running. If he can recruit, he'll be very successful, as he can definitely coach them

Re: Young can flat out coach

Apr 8, 2019, 8:04 AM

I think Young is a good coach, just not an ACC level coach. I don't see him being competitive here. I don't see him being competitive against Bennett.

He will not be as successful at VaTech as at Wofford. I kinda agree with the Hokie fanbase that this was not a good hire, but it might have been the best hire available.

However, their expectations are skewed. Buzz was a head-scratcher of a hire for most folks, a 5 run grand-slam of sorts. However, that type of hire is not really around right now, and I think Young was the last option available. Shame VaTech could not have hired Oats before Bammy swallowed him up.

We'll agree to disagree

Apr 8, 2019, 8:53 AM

I think it's a hire along the lines of Larranaga. Vet coach with many years left who if he can recruit, will win. Holding him up to Bennett isnt fair as Bennett eclipses everyone else in the league except K and Roy. VT at this point is a stepping stone job for a successful younger coach. Someone like Young is there the rest of his career. If he succeeds he can lay a foundation they've never had before.

No more risk than hiring a hot younger coach, and the upside being he sticks around if he's successful

Re: We'll agree to disagree

Apr 8, 2019, 9:33 AM

I think that comparison is a bit of a stretch. Not a bad one but I think it is not quite applicable.

The SoCon is not the CAA, nor was it as competitive. The CAA used to have VCU, Richmond, GMU, UNCW. Most of the "powers" of that league when Larranga was there are now A10 or American. Not saying the SoCon is bad, they were very strong this year, but rather the investment in basketball by a school the size of GMU, VCU (both larger that Clemson and both of often in the running for largest Virginia school) etc is a level up from the SoCon.

Where the comparison is accurate for both was that Larranga was know during his stint at GMU for being a OOC thorn for the beltway powers (Maryland, Georgetown etc). Young was a similar case to middle-Carolina schools.

To be a successful ACC coach, you realistically need to be a top-25 coach. Being top 35 will likely get the fan-base hot if you are only .500 in conference and on the cusp of the dance.

As far as Bennett: Yes, it will be a comparison. VT doesn't "lose" to Virginia well. Whomever the coach will have to face that issue. Buzz was fairly successful against UVA and often split the series (did so 3 of the 4 previous years). Young will need to win fast against virgina as he isn't a youthful that you have the luxury of patience.

Disclosure: Post-doctoral work at GMU. They are often my "3rd" alma-mater of sort. I felt Hewitt's tanking and like what I see in Paulsen.

And Davidson was in the SoCon up until

Apr 8, 2019, 11:48 AM

4 years ago. He was winning championships then as well. It will all come down to recruiting. Is he a top 25 coach? Unknown at this point. He can coach. His Wofford teams were precise, and he was highly successful against teams with equal talent. He beat many with far more talent.

Next year is a major rebuild at VT. Buzz knew that as well. He struck while the iron was hot for a job at a school he knows well. If Blackshear transfers or declares they have less than us returning. Buzz won because he recruited well. If Young does the same, he'll win as well

After glancing at their posts, I'm thinking his situation,

Apr 8, 2019, 5:37 AM

reception wise, sounds similar to Hatfield's after following Ford at Clemson.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Except Buzz wasn't fired ***

Apr 8, 2019, 11:50 AM

True***

Apr 8, 2019, 12:48 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 24
| visibility 5,826
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic