Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
62% of Republicans want to see Trump's tax returns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 644

62% of Republicans want to see Trump's tax returns

Apr 8, 2019, 11:35 AM

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/poll-should-trump-release-tax-returns-227408

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After the 2016 election - do people still really trust

Apr 8, 2019, 11:40 AM

polls?

50% of people only trust 80% of polls

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

National polls were very accurate in 2016. Hillary

Apr 8, 2019, 1:37 PM

won popular vote by 2% and around 3 million votes.

Now, some of the state polls like Wisconsin were way off.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/11/07/poll_position_where_clinton_trump_stand_on_election_eve_132270.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep - I recall Hill was leading polls in NC by 2.5% - but

Apr 9, 2019, 9:30 AM

then lost by ~3%.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see, with 100% of dems...

Apr 8, 2019, 12:44 PM

and 64% of pubs then 164% of the American voters want to see Trump's tax returns. I predict he will make those calculations and post them on the internet by AM tomorrow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think 60%+ of Repubs would say that now..

Apr 8, 2019, 1:16 PM

but they did back in 2016, when the poll was conducted.

Re: I don't think 60%+ of Repubs would say that now..

Apr 8, 2019, 1:21 PM

The only people who don't want to see his returns are slightly worried maybe he is shady or a fraud. It's not worth taking the chance for them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't want to see him release the returns and I...

Apr 8, 2019, 4:34 PM

know he's shady and a liar. Anyone who does business in NYC is shady and a liar. As far as being a fraud, if you're talking about his 'billions,' I'll just say this.

His real estate holdings have increased in value since he took office due to the economy being on fire. So there's that. The economy is on fire, the unemployment rate is traditionally called 'full employment,' when UE numbers drop this low and the wages have out gained inflation which indicated strongly that workers are seeing more value to their income. So, we can eliminate him being a fraud as a POTUS.

That still leaves you 'liar,' and 'shady,' but that's a valid description to all politicians. Trump just doesn't agree with you on things so you notice his lies. I pass them off as politics but I noticed Obama's lies.

One of us isn't being honest here, Carlsbad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d8o8vNTNao

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do they want his tax returns?

Apr 8, 2019, 1:54 PM

for real

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Looking for something to make him look bad...

Apr 8, 2019, 2:07 PM

At this point, it'd be less about trying to get him out of office now, and more about making him less likely to get elected in 2020.

I'm holding out for the Stormy Daniels video***

Apr 8, 2019, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

38% of us don't give a ####

Apr 8, 2019, 4:26 PM

I care about his taxes almost as much as dems cared about Obama's birth certificate.

Re: 62% of Republicans want to see Trump's tax returns

Apr 8, 2019, 5:00 PM

No interest here. It’s just another political stunt by the left anyway. The Presidents’ support base processed this 2 years ago and doesn’t give a rip, his approval rating is still 51%...per Rasmussen.

Apr 8, 2019, 5:36 PM

During his "birther" campaign, Trump offered a public deal: If Obama released his birth certificate, he'd release his tax returns.

"Maybe I'm going to do the tax returns when Obama does his birth certificate," he told George Stephanopoulos. "I may tie my tax returns, I'd love to give my tax returns, I may tie my tax returns into Obama's birth certificate."

He also hinted he might release them "if I decide to run" for office.

With Mitt Romney running on the Republican presidential ticket, Trump offered a bit of advice from one businessman to another: The candidate must release his tax returns, ASAP. Trump started saying this in January, telling Fox News that releasing the returns is a "great thing" because it lets a person prove "you've been successful, and that you've made a lot of money."

"I actually think it's a positive," he said.

In the final weeks of the campaign, Trump even fell back on his birther deal, telling CNN he urged Romney to release his returns if Obama showed his birth certificate. Trump said it could be "a swap."

The Obama birth certificate had by now emerged, so Trump devised a new deal: He'd release the tax returns if he ran for office.

"If I decide to run for office, I'll produce my tax returns, absolutely. And I would love to do that," he said in an interview with Ireland's TV3.

Months before announcing his presidential candidacy, Trump assured that he'd release the returns as part of his proof that he "would make money for our country."

"I would certainly show tax returns if it was necessary," he said in a February radio interview with Hugh Hewitt.

As the year neared its ends, and Trump surged in the GOP primary polls, he said he was "thinking about" letting the returns out. But by this time he had come up with yet another "swap": he'd put out the returns if Hillary Clinton released her deleted Secretary of State emails.

"I'm thinking about maybe when we find out the true story on Hillary's email," he told ABC News in October.

"At some point I'll release it."

In January, Trump said he and his campaign were "working on" getting the returns out, but it was hard because it "is not like a normal tax return."

Starting the next month, though, Trump introduced the excuse he'd stay with for the rest of the campaign: He couldn't get them out because he was under a "routine audit" from the IRS. In various February interviews and appearances, he called the audit "very complicated" but said the returns would emerge once it was over.

But he shooed away even basic questions about his tax rate, telling George Stephanopoulos in an interview that it was "none of your business."

Meanwhile, on the campaign trail, Trump scolded Romney for waiting until weeks before the 2012 election to release his returns, with Trump implying this played a part in the candidate's defeat.

Trump stuck to the audit line right through the election, even saying in one of the presidential debates against Clinton that the returns would come "as soon as the audit's finished."

A reporter asked Trump about the returns in his first press conference as President-elect. Almost reflexively, he replied, "Well, I'm not releasing the tax returns because as you know, they're under audit."

When pressed, though, Trump said for the first time that he simply didn't believe the American public cared about seeing them, because he won the election.

So now you believe him.

Apr 9, 2019, 10:02 AM

Most of the time he's a liar and you can't believe him, but this is different.

Which one is it?

Apr 8, 2019, 6:45 PM

Screw the tax returns, I just want to see a mental fitness exam. If my father was spouting off lies, wrong info ,going on twitter rampages, short term memory issues ,mispronounced or using the words etc I would ask for one to be done.

Seems like a useless survey statistic.

Apr 9, 2019, 9:33 AM

A more relevant question would be the percentages who believe he could/should be legally forced to do so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like a useless survey statistic.

Apr 9, 2019, 9:55 AM

It is voluntary to release to the public and as per IRS rules they audit all Presidents returns already. Not sure what the point is with all of this really.

Yep, key word, voluntary.

Apr 9, 2019, 10:01 AM

Do I want to see them? Sure, and the 38 or whatever percent of pubs who said no are lying. Who wouldn’t want to see them? Do I think they should release them against his will, based on current laws? No way.

Do I think it’s shidddy that he promised to release them and didn’t? Absolutely. Are broken campaign promises illegal? Not generally, no—-and if it’s a broken promise that bothers people enough, they should vote accordingly in 2020, but this endless game of “gotcha” by the Dems is far past looking like childish amateur hour.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never seen,nor had the urge to see,anybody's tax return

Apr 9, 2019, 12:32 PM

except for my own.

And yet I've somehow lived a decently happy & contented life.

I'm not saying it's a burning desire, but c'mon,

Apr 9, 2019, 12:33 PM

it would pretty interesting to take a peek at the inner workings of the finances of a billionaire.

I think a better phrasing of my point is.....

Apr 9, 2019, 12:46 PM

if Carter, Ford, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, etc released theirs back in the day (I suppose they did), I never looked at them, or had the first thought to look at them, or even knew where I could find them if I had the notion to. I do remember reading in the paper that President X gave $$ to charity (or didn't) and made $$ from a book he wrote, blah blah blah. Nothing that ever caused me to care.

Did you ever look at anyone's?

My interest doesn't lie with them being Presidents.

Apr 9, 2019, 12:52 PM

It lies in the overall wealth and the sheer number of deductions they must have. I just don't recall ever being provided the opportunity for unfettered access to a billionaire's tax returns. Maybe some are online and I just haven't noticed---it's not something I've ever googled.

I'd probably glance at the number of pages just to marvel at it, and then compare gross income and AGI. If I really had some spare time, I'd peruse the source of their deductions.

I could probably do all this in one toilet session.

Valid point.

Apr 9, 2019, 12:56 PM

that would be interesting to see how the mega-rich take advantage of the tax laws and loopholes (as I recall Trump admitting he has done in the past).

I think the main reason Trump doesn't want them released

Apr 9, 2019, 12:59 PM

is not because it's chock full of shady dealings and the like. Rather, the guy's entire image pre-Presidency was built around how wealthy he was. His purported vast wealth was the source of his identity and for whatever reason was a value-add that made him more money than if the image weren't in place.

I think it's really likely he's worth a good bit less than he's stated in the past, and it would be a massive blow to both his ego and his business dealings if his stated 10B net worth turned out to be $600M (just throwing numbers out there--I have no clue).

Everyone should want to see everything from politicians.

Apr 9, 2019, 10:00 AM

Otherwise someone is being a tool. ESPECIALLY, if the politician wants to hide something.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You want a politician to prove they are honest?

Apr 9, 2019, 10:04 AM

Certainly you aren't that naive.

Why did you feel the need to change my words?

Apr 9, 2019, 10:06 AM

I have an idea.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 644
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic