Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Drug Testing for Dummies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Drug Testing for Dummies

Dec 31, 2018, 2:34 AM

I encourage anyone interested in learning more about drug testing in general to check out the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Jeff Novitzky (VP of Athletic Health and Performance for the UFC). Jeff lays out the background and recent “failed” drug tests for Jon Jones and expounds his views on the topic of testing for performance-enhancing drugs and the related markers - metabolites - that the body produces.

The U.S. and world anti-doping agencies (USADA and WADA), along with other independent laboratories, appear to be in somewhat of an arms race to show how sensitive these tests can be - to the unintended detriment of athletes and the sporting world. Jeff explains/forcasts regarding the emerging science behind these tests and puts into perspective the threshold levels of testing the UFC, NCAA, and other major sporting organizations are starting to undergo - and the resulting issues with fairness.

As this relates to Clemson: Without any personal knowledge of the results of the testing, the apparent levels of metabolites found within our players’ recent tests are almost certainly a result of cross-contamination and most importantly would have zero performance-enhancing effect on the players. The levels now tested - down to a single picogram (a grain of salt divided approximately 58 million times) are best described as estimates within a couple dozen picogram range. As noted, the supplement world is the Wild West and there’s a very real chance many people would test positive for these illegal substances or related short-term, medium-term, or long-term metabolites at the thresholds being tested - even if not using any supplements.

Within the next year or two, it’s very possible that a case like this won’t exist because athletes testing positive for these levels of either the parent drug (e.g., oral turinabol/osterine) or the related markers won’t be publicized or punished.

I say all this to encourage education on the topic and to point people who would like to hear more about the limited knowledge and testing done at these thresholds to this discussion. I also commend Dabo for not trying to sweep this under the rug despite the appearance that this is a massively unfortunate case of science getting ahead of itself without the necessary rules and regulations in place for fairness, or verified studies to confirm the effectiveness of testing to these thresholds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Drug Testing for Dummies

Dec 31, 2018, 2:46 AM

Excellent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know: TL;DR

Dec 31, 2018, 2:57 AM

But I highly encourage anyone with a fleeting interest in the UFC in particular to listen to the full podcast to gain a different perspective on this issue than one might hear on a quick segment on ESPN.

There is almost no known testing even done on this subject because some of these drugs are illegal for human consumption in all countries. This podcast is especially enlightening for anyone who is quick to cast stones at a person like Jon Jones (and by extension the Clemson football team) who has apparently never even tested positive for oral turinabol or the related short- or medium-term metabolites. It really shows the current limited level of understanding of when and how these markers appear and how best to regulate the results of these tests in a fair manner to catch actual cheaters.

To be clear, I don’t claim an opinion on Jon Jones’ innocence or lack thereof. I also do not equate Jon Jones and his admitted recreational drug use to the situation any of our players find themselves in now, but the discussion on the science behind the testing, what little is known on how long these markers can even remain in the body, how the markers can disappear and reappear, and how these levels of positive tests can possibly occur, are all relevant to the current situation.

Dec 31, 2018, 5:47 AM

darn good write up!

Dec 31, 2018, 6:17 AM

Novitzsky’s work is featured prominently in the book “game of shadows.”

Really enjoyed that read on the BALCO related Track and field and baseball steroid story. Novitsky was a relentless investigator who really brought down Barry bonds.

and now he works for UFC

Dec 31, 2018, 6:59 AM

and has new ideas about drug testing and how you can throw half life out with some drugs. The drugs apparently metabolize to something else (how they caught Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong and the Russians) but low and behold the metabolites can be stored in fatty tissue and released months or years later. Seems like total BS to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIdLF5T6Tyc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I think it’s important to note that while

Dec 31, 2018, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Drug Testing for Dummies ]

Jeff works for the UFC now, he at a minimum maintains the appearance of impartiality. He apparently even insulates himself from potential conflicts of interest when it comes to what he finds out about the specifics of some tests to ensure that his role is more educational for the athletes and equitable enforcement of the testing done by groups like USADA.

Dec 31, 2018, 3:59 PM

That's a good read . Maybe there will be a successful appeal and these guys will be ?? exonerated .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 31, 2018, 4:03 PM

Man, if I were a bada@@. enough to play bigtime college football, I wouldn't need anything but grits and fried chicken.

Dec 31, 2018, 5:58 PM

Great write up!!!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic