Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst Clemson game ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Worst Clemson game ever?

Feb 3, 2019, 9:00 PM

In honor of Super Bowl 53, which game was the worst Clemson game ever? Not in terms of result but in terms of worst to watch just overall?

I would say Bowden's last game vs Wake was definitely up there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1993 WF game. Loss in the rain. Ugly game all around.***

Feb 3, 2019, 9:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1993 WF game. Loss in the rain. Ugly game all around.***

Feb 3, 2019, 9:19 PM

That was mine too. I had partially amputated my index finger Friday in an accident, so I couldn't go to the game and had to watch it on TV. I remember waking up on Sunday thinking, "What a crappy weekend. I cut off part of my finger and then we get beat by WAKE!". I suppose the only way it could have been worse was if I was AT the game. In retrospect, perhaps the amputation was a good thing. Still, it was clearly one of my bottom three weekends.

Yep. And about 40K in the stands at most***

Feb 4, 2019, 6:53 AM [ in reply to 1993 WF game. Loss in the rain. Ugly game all around.*** ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the one.

Feb 4, 2019, 6:56 AM [ in reply to 1993 WF game. Loss in the rain. Ugly game all around.*** ]

Lost in a half full Death Valley. Terrible memory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People were sliding in the mud down the hill there were so few people***

Feb 4, 2019, 4:07 PM [ in reply to 1993 WF game. Loss in the rain. Ugly game all around.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worst Clemson game ever?

Feb 3, 2019, 9:03 PM

Florida State 1975. We quit that day.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2019, 9:04 PM

3-0 win vs TCU in DV.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2019, 9:06 PM

45-0 loss in the mid 90's at chapel hill

W.Va. bowl beat down***

Feb 3, 2019, 9:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I should've phrased it "most boring"***

Feb 3, 2019, 9:09 PM

Re: I should've phrased it "most boring"***

Feb 3, 2019, 9:30 PM

Most boring was ‘07 vs GT on the Flats...3 points to our name with Thunder and Lighting in the backfield. Missed 4 FGs on top of it.

Re: I should've phrased it "most boring"***

Feb 4, 2019, 6:28 AM

That was the most frustrating game.

That's one of the greatest games in our history.

Feb 3, 2019, 9:31 PM [ in reply to W.Va. bowl beat down*** ]

Without it, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Clemson got beat worst that year by ncsate***

Feb 4, 2019, 7:21 AM [ in reply to W.Va. bowl beat down*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: W.Va. bowl beat down*** - agreed and I unfortunately was

Feb 4, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to W.Va. bowl beat down*** ]

at that game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me, too.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:49 PM

I have blocked it from my memory because we have risen from the ashes.

But, the worst was the Calvin Johnson catch in 2004 when we had 1 minute to go and a snap went over our punter's head. :(

Also, when Tommy B took Merriweather out on the goal-line against the coots.?????

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Worst game I've been to in the Valley

Feb 3, 2019, 9:09 PM

This game was garbage all around. Field goals galore.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=263080228

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crazy. I was going to say the same but two years later.

Feb 3, 2019, 10:49 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=282710228

Just painful.

null

Re: Worst game I've been to in the Valley

Feb 4, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Worst game I've been to in the Valley ]

Was thinking the same thing. That Maryland game was awful to watch and has been my worst walk of shame since that beatdown by Georgia back in the mid 90's.

This was the one I was trying to think of

Feb 4, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Worst game I've been to in the Valley ]

I was in high school and took a date to this game. Her first Clemson game. She was um...not impressed. Early noon game, no touchdowns and an ugly loss to Maryland. This game was soooo Tommy Bowden it hurt.

Tangerine Bowl vs Tx Tech

Feb 3, 2019, 9:26 PM

I curl up in the fetal position and rock back and forth when thinking about that one.

To make matters worse we drove back to NC after the game.

For me it was hands down the orange bowl debacle

Feb 3, 2019, 9:29 PM

I remember sitting in the stands just baffled at how we looked so pedestrian. Although in hindsight, it's the best thing that happened to the program. However it was very painful to witness.

Message was edited by: Allinsinceday1

Feb 3, 2019, 9:36 PM

For me, it was the 2013 FSU game. I couldn't believe that one. I was at a wedding in Michigan and everyone was watching the game afterwards. You can only guess how many times I heard the word Dabo has banned by the B1G fans there.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=332920228

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2003 Georgia 30-0 hotter then 3 heck’s***

Feb 3, 2019, 10:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2003 Georgia 30-0 hotter then 3 heck’s***

Feb 4, 2019, 7:15 AM

Was at that game too. Danged UGA band playing after each touchdown still sits in my memory.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

38-3 loss to UNC in DV in 2001

Feb 3, 2019, 10:40 PM

Noon kickoff, where traffic was the worst for any game I've been to. Got there late in the 1st and it was already over.

Clemson @ GT 2005 (10-9)

Feb 3, 2019, 10:52 PM

It was a mind numbingly boring game and then we lost.

I was there in person and could not tell you one significant thing that happened the entire day.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=253020059

The 1992 Bowl vs Cal was very cringiable.***

Feb 3, 2019, 10:54 PM

Feb 3, 2019, 11:04 PM

Gator Bowl against Syracuse in the cold rain.

Feb 4, 2019, 2:34 PM

Agreed on this one

and #### announcer pronouncing Clemson wrong the entire game and then making fun of it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few come to mind.

Feb 3, 2019, 11:05 PM

The 57-0 loss to FSU in 1993 was pretty bad. We knew FSU was really good, but it showed how far we had fallen under Hatfield.

The 37-0 loss to Virginia Tech at home in 1998 pretty much sealed Tommy West's fate.

The 45-17 loss to Wake Forest in 2003 under Tommy Bowden was really bad. We had a lot of inexplicable losses under him.

The 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the 2012 Orange Bowl under Dabo Swinney was awful.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Everyone brings up the Wake loss in 2003.

Feb 3, 2019, 11:18 PM

I wasn't at the game, but I was at the next one when we tore down the goalposts after handling FSU. I remember the Wake game only as the start of some great performances I got to see. FSU win. 63-17. Tennessee in the Peach Bowl. All great memories on the heels of a motivational loss.

GT/Calvin Johnson

Feb 3, 2019, 11:08 PM

Think it was 2003 - I was there . Terrible last 3 minutes

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: GT/Calvin Johnson

Feb 3, 2019, 11:23 PM

That would be 2004. We beat them 39-3 in Atlanta in 2003 in purple tops and white bottoms.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:45 AM

You are correct. I believe we wore purple in 03' at GT. Don't think we won in Atlanta against GT for at least 10 years after that game

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

2003 was the Ball sack game.

Feb 4, 2019, 8:26 AM

That was good times.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: GT/Calvin Johnson ]

Yes, my wife and I were there and it was among the worst games I have ever seen. The most loud, but equally disappointing was Miami at DV in 2005. It took me a week to recover my hearing! My personal most disappointing was on my Wedding day, Danny and company lost to Duke in the rain (Durham) in September 1989. The OBC won his first championship at the expense of Clemson. My wife now understands my frustration despite the pure joy of marrying the one I love for a life time!

Go Tigers!

Feb 3, 2019, 11:18 PM

I’m not sure what year, but TB was the coach, it was against Maryland, I think the end result was 10-9 or something close to that. It was the height of Clemson playing down to its competition. Makes me sick even thinking about it. I hate Maryland almost more than I hate FSU.

Feb 4, 2019, 7:13 AM

For me, no question. The WV game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tangerine bowl vs tex tech .. just bad all over

Feb 4, 2019, 7:20 AM

2005 vs Duke
Duke can't stop the run, let's pass.

The 1st music city bowl vs Kentucky.. Kentucky can't stop the run.. let's pass.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

1997 UTEP. Worst game I ever watched at home.***

Feb 4, 2019, 7:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 8:23 AM

2098 Chick-fil-a

We were supposed to win and got handed our a$€ by Saban. Only bright spot was Spiller returning the kickoff after halftime.

While it was my most miserable game it was also the beginning of the end for Bowden.

Feb 4, 2019, 8:24 AM

Probably @ BC in 2010 we lost 10-16

Feb 4, 2019, 8:26 AM

boring game, we had no excuse to lose. They had no fire power offensively yet we sukt worse that game. No one seemed inspired. Kyle Parker threw 2 picks. Ellington fumbled one or two but the worse part was no one seemed to be enthused at all. I think Kuechly was there at the time but that was all BC had. I don't know why i still remember that but that was the last time i remember us playing a boring game.

WVU was probably the worst in a (please make it stop) kinda way.

We had firepower in 2010 either

Feb 4, 2019, 8:29 AM

It was like the 2014 offense when Watson was out with the finger injury.

Feb 4, 2019, 9:03 AM

CWS Clemson v. South Carolina in 2010.... baseball.

Nothing like having a strike-zone the size of ignorance within Williams Brice stadium being called against the coots.

It was bad, and because it was baseball with "anything is a strike" is was about as boring as it can be. That also takes the cake for some of the worst officiating... as it was two games of anything goes strike zone.

And baseball is boring (to watch). People literally do statistics to past the time during a baseball game.

When Crab Legs came to Death Valley

Feb 4, 2019, 11:06 AM

That one barely wins over WVU Orange Bowl for hardest to watch game I've ever been to in person.

They seem so long ago now though, and our trophy case has gotten a lot heavier than FSU's and WVU's since then :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 11:15 AM

As a younger Tiger fan my list doesn't go back as far as some. Mine was the FSU Jameis Winston Game in Death Valley. Gameday and an electric atmosphere pregame only to lay a big turd on the field. Don't remember the final score but it was bad. This year kind of made up for it though! Others would be losing to Maryland 2009, the Wake game as some have said. Any loss to UofSC especially during the 5 game streak they had, WVU, and the South Florida Bowl Game in Charlotte. Hard to think about losses atm though!!!

Feb 4, 2019, 11:36 AM

I have to go back a little further than most:

1970 #9 Auburn 44 - Clemson 0

1976 #9 Georgia 41 - Clemson 0 and I think this may have been the first football game at Death Valley on TV? ABC regional game.

Feb 4, 2019, 2:35 PM

I was at Auburn game and it was UGLY

we didn't deserve to be on the field and they had men vs our boys

Feb 4, 2019, 12:00 PM

When I think of the low times, the first game that comes to mind is sitting through the Tommy West version against VT...ugly

Bowden's last game was definitely the most frustrating ever

Feb 4, 2019, 12:37 PM

for me. So much obvious talent running up and down the field between the 20 yard lines, yet could not score. That led to my (along with about 10,000 others, but I am SURE my elegant missive is what got it done) letter to the President asking that we move on from Bowden. No need to thank me, I had no idea of where we would go next, just knew that I didn't want any more of where we were. :)

1980. Dook 34 - Clemson 17.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:48 PM

Sucked. At least we beat the coots 27-6 later that month.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

The loss at Duke in 2004.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:53 PM

Lost 16-13 on a last-minute 53-yd field goal. Yet another inexplicable loss by a Tommy Bowden team.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic