Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wisdom Quotes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Wisdom Quotes

Jul 4, 2017, 11:23 PM

It's the off-season so other things come to mind until Clemson FB.

Anyone ever get into a season where you applied a wisdom quote you heard long ago and it helped you out after you remembered it? I confess, I am a CU FB junkie and a wisdom quote junkie. Aside from books on my trade, I buy more books just on wisdom quotes. It's really like an insight into someone's mind except you get the best collaboration of their thoughts at once.

Sometimes after reading a quote and then finding out who the author was is very interesting. Sometimes I don't agree with that person's view of the world, etc. however, that doesn't mean that they don't have any insight to offer. Reading wisdom quotes has helped me to understand not only a lot of people, but also the quotes themselves have helped to guide me through a tough situation or 3. All that being said, I'll share one with you. I hope it helps someone like it helped me.

" If you are interested, you'll do what's convenient. If you are committed, you'll do whatever it takes"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. I am the President of the Easley Chapter of

Jul 5, 2017, 6:46 AM

BNI. We meet every Wednesday morning at 8:15. I have a quote for them each week. Today will be yours. I think this is a very good one.....

......Yep, I missed a meeting and they made me President....

Re: Wisdom Quotes

Jul 5, 2017, 6:53 AM

The best quote I ever heard - "A wise man never wishes he were younger".

As you age, it's amazing how much that saying proves itself.

Jul 5, 2017, 7:05 AM

Here's an interesting one, that I actually learned from a CLEMSON alum about 40+ years ago.

"Just Do It".

Yes - it's the same slogan that Nike adopted many years later. I learned that from Judson (Juddy) Jones in Greenville. He taught me how to accomplish things by ignoring all the reasons why I could not do something. That saying stuck with me all my life. I was amazed when Nike started using it, and the world seemed to follow suit. I still use that mindset in everything I do. I probably would not have gone back and finished my last 1.5 years at CLEMSON had he not taught me that.

Mr. Jones was one of the first, if not the first, person to provide a way to clean Astro-turf. He designed a machine that was similar to a huge Shop-Vac (I guess), but it resided on a huge truck. When football stadiums started replacing natural turf with Astro-turf, they suddenly realized they had no way to clean the turf. He provided that solution (and yes - he made a lot of money doing it).

Judson Jones

Jul 6, 2017, 8:59 AM

Interesting story. I know both of Judson's sons. I know one of them fairly well as I have bougbt equipment from him in the past. Your story is right on about cleaning Astro Turf.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Judson Jones

Aug 15, 2017, 10:35 PM

Sorry gville76, at that time there was another post here before yours. Have a good evening!

Go Tigers

Message was edited by: TigerCJ®

Jan 23, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Wisdom Quotes ]

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity".

IDK who coined this phrase but he/she really knew how to describe a Gamecock fan.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, what , may I ask, do quotes from Trump tell you

Jul 5, 2017, 7:34 AM

about him? My take is a total lack of wisdom.... from a man who still acts like a kid.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, what , may I ask, do quotes from Trump tell you

Jul 5, 2017, 10:20 AM

Clover65: Get over it! You lost and you Leftist Liberals had your chance and darn near ruined this country. Tijke for the adults to take over!!! Wow I thought this was a football site

Sorry dude - but you lose this one from the start. Calling

Jul 6, 2017, 7:57 AM

everyone a "liberal" who disagrees with you shows you don't "have an I.Q. higher than them" (as you have posted before). I am so far from liberal that I voted for Trump in spite of his stupidity (once told someone that I would vote for Satan before Hillary" - and maybe I did - time will tell. The way he tweets and seems to take everything personally is not a sign of maturity and good leadership. And your comment to me about this being a "football site" - take that up with the OP. And , finally, tell me what "Tijke" means in the real world.

Takes everything personal? Hello, it is personal and I

Jul 6, 2017, 9:55 AM

am thankful he doesn't cave to the liberal snowflakes who can dish but cry like a baby when he hits back. Great we don't have Hillary in the White House.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry dude - but you lose this one from the start. Calling

Aug 15, 2017, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Sorry dude - but you lose this one from the start. Calling ]

clover65: I suppose now you're going to criticize Trump for his lack of success in getting North Koreas to either back down from attacking us or an ally or get destroyed? Why don't you read up the facts. Your'e a Liberal Leftist and anyone with half a brain can see it.

Clover..although I may agree...

Jan 23, 2018, 6:32 AM [ in reply to So, what , may I ask, do quotes from Trump tell you ]

"Grab'em by the p-ssy" and making fun of the handicapped, doesn't seem very Presidential, that ship has sailed and hopefully in three years we can get rid of that con man, but right now we are stuck with him. And for those of you who call everyone who disagrees with your right wing beliefs a "liberal snowflake", I am not liberal and vote Republican as often as Democrat, and haven't been a "snowflake" since a grammar school Christmas pageant 59 years ago. I haven't even figured out what "snowflake" means anyway!

One of my favorites..

Jul 5, 2017, 8:15 AM

"Never let your religion get in the way of doing what's right."-Issac Assimov

God's word tells us what is right.***

Jul 6, 2017, 9:59 AM

Re: God's word tells us what is right.***

Jan 23, 2018, 6:38 AM

True, but some RELIGIONS don't! They warp and God's word to fit their own beliefs.

https://youtu.be/OMRrS_zYKDg

Jul 5, 2017, 8:20 AM

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
? Mark Twain

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

YOU STOLE THAT!!!

Jan 23, 2018, 2:36 PM

YOU STOLE THAT FROM SOMEBODY!!!

Jul 5, 2017, 8:37 AM

Too many people confuse activities with accomplishments

Gene Stallings

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Confucious say, Man with hole in pocket

Jul 5, 2017, 10:30 AM

feel Cocky

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Confucious say, Man with hole in pocket

Jan 23, 2018, 10:09 AM

Confucius also say, “He who sleeps with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

I live by these....

Jul 6, 2017, 8:11 AM

"Find a way TO do something instead of finding a way NOT to...."

"If you think you can or think you cannot, you are correct..."

"There are three types of people in the world, those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, those who wonder what the hell just happened..."

"Control what you can, ignore what you cannot, know the difference between the two..."

Re: I live by these....

Jul 6, 2017, 8:49 AM

"Today I will do what you won't so that tomorrow I can do what you can't"

"What a man does when no one is watching determines who he will be when he can no longer help it"

Never Again...Game On...Wait til Next year.***

Jul 6, 2017, 9:02 AM

There are two types of people

Aug 15, 2017, 11:35 AM

1. Those who can extrapolate incomplete data.

Virginity like bubble

Aug 15, 2017, 11:41 AM

one prick, all gone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Here's mine

Aug 15, 2017, 7:59 PM

Keep public emergencies and my tax money out of the Heroin epidemic. Go bleed your heart on him/her as you pump their chest.

-Dr. Nikoli

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

And spare me the sanctimonious

Aug 15, 2017, 8:00 PM

flubarb about precious life. He/she didn't care. Why should I?

-Nikola Tesla, PhD

Hippocratic Oath maybe?

Aug 15, 2017, 9:26 PM

jus spitballing - but guessing your phd was in Russian history?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah,

Aug 15, 2017, 10:13 PM

Electrical Engineering

-Doc

Re: Here's mine

Jan 22, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Here's mine ]

"If I hadda node I coudda goed, I wooda went". Mortimer Snerd

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The booze epidmic is way worse.

Jan 22, 2018, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Here's mine ]

So is the tobacco. Moreover, people will always find something. What will be the next epidemic? It's a choice.

Aug 15, 2017, 9:15 PM

“Do or do not. There is no try.”
– Yoda

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2017, 10:28 PM

Here's a great one from an old Clemson grad I used to work with during my summers in college. He designed the plant that Borden milk company used to manufacture nondairy creamer, is still a master farmer and beekeeper, and loves to tell a great Clemson story or two.

Upon his notice of a less-than-impressive display of intelligence or capability by someone, he'd cut squinted eyes over at me, eyebrows raised with a pained smirk on his face, and say, "People are fascinating, Benjamin."

I use that line all the time. Good stuff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Aug 15, 2017, 10:35 PM

I also love Proverbs chapter 1:

Wisdom cries aloud in the street,
In the markets she raises her voice;
At the head of the noisy streets she cries out;
At the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
"How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Aug 15, 2017, 11:45 PM

My 2 favorites:

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" - Jackie Robinson

“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” - David Brinkley

Aug 16, 2017, 7:13 AM

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever! -Psalm 111:10

Go Tigers, but not before Jesus ??

???

Eat a live toad in the morning,

Jan 22, 2018, 9:45 AM

and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are 10 types of people in this world.

Jan 22, 2018, 10:29 AM

Those that understand binary and those that don't.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A quote from Frank Howard

Jan 22, 2018, 11:10 AM

"Grits is groceries ain't they?"

Who could need more wisdom than that?

Nov 3, 2023, 8:41 PM

“... be the best at everything that requires no talent. There’s lots of things in the game that require no talent (getting up of the ground, chasing kicks, getting back into position) … all they require is effort and if you can be the best at those things, often you’re going to be better than the opposition and win.”
-Warren Gatland (international rugby coach)

Confucious say ...

Jan 22, 2018, 11:38 AM

leaf that won't blow away with leaf blower probably has dog turd stuck underneath.

My favorite

Jan 22, 2018, 11:46 AM

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
--Einstein

"Never trust a fart"*****

Jan 22, 2018, 12:26 PM

"We are cycling in, they are cycling out."

Jan 22, 2018, 12:36 PM

No wait, you wanted Wisdom Quotes, not dumba$$ quotes.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2018, 12:37 PM

Check my signature line below

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

" Hope , is Not a plan. "

Jan 23, 2018, 7:26 AM

!

Jan 23, 2018, 7:46 AM

Some of my faves....

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking cigarettes”

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking”

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit taking amphetamines”

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue”

....... ??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best friends can attend each others' wedding, but

Jan 23, 2018, 8:43 AM

even the bestest of friends can't attend each others' funeral....

Jan 23, 2018, 2:34 PM

A "problem" is not a problem if it can be solved with money.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic