Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
William Trevor Lawrence’s freshman year achievements
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,676

William Trevor Lawrence’s freshman year achievements

Jan 19, 2019, 10:59 AM

Yes, William is his actual first name, and Trevor is his middle name. He just finished the best true freshman season in NCAA history and has the championship and accolades to prove it. Let’s break it down;

Stats:
Completions - 259
Attempts - 397
Completion % - 65.2%
Yards - 3,280
Touchdowns - 30
Interceptions - 4
Passer Efficiency - 157.6
QBR - 83.9
Record as starter - 11-0
National titles - 1

Accolades:
Archie Griffin Award - “College football’s MVP for entire season” - awarded after bowl games
National Championshio Game Offensive MVP
Cotton Bowl Offensive MVP
ACC Rookie of the Year
National Freshman of the Year - per FWAA and Touchdown Club of Columbus
Freshman All-American - per FWAA and AP
2nd team All-ACC (should have been first) per the conference office itself
1st team All-ACC per Pro Football Focus
ACC Player of the Year per Pro Football Focus
Manning Award finalist (only one from ACC)
Dave’s O’Brien Award semi-finalist (only one from ACC)

Records:
Every season-long Clemson freshman record (true and redshirt freshman)
Most passing touchdowns by a true freshman in NCAA history
Highest grade for a true freshman ever awarded by Pro Football Focus at 90.5 (2nd place ever was ~81)
Highest adjusted QBR in CFP championship game history at 98.2

National rankings:
QBR - 6th (next closest freshman is 22nd)
Passer Efficiency - 12th
Touchdowns - 10th
Yards - 22nd
TD/Int ratio - 1st among QBs with at least 12 TD passes
Turnover Worthy Throws per Pro Football Focus (interceptable passes) - 1st in fewest such throws in the country

ACC rankings:
QBR - 1st
Passer Efficiency - 1st
Touchdowns - 1st
Yards - 2nd
Wins - 1st
ACC titles - 1st
National titles - 1st

Let me know if I’m forgetting something. There is no debate that Trevor Lawrence just capped off the greatest true freshman season of all time. The scary thing is we watched him grow significantly over the course of the season. Remember when he kept overthrowing players? He fixed that issue to the point that nearly every single deep pass was right on the money. He still has a lot to learn and about 20 pounds to add to his frame. With 4 seniors returning for the offensive line plus a 5 star sophomore waiting to take over left tackle and our studs two deep at every skill position, 2019 will be very special offensively. I can’t wait to see what comes next!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: William Trevor Lawrence’s freshman year achievements

Jan 19, 2019, 11:08 AM

It also seemed that he got better with each game. May that trend continue for two (or three*) more years in a Clemson uniform.

Can you imagine?

*For those who scoff at the thought of a senior season from Trevor, let us remember that he chose his jersey number because of a certain player he idolizes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 19, 2019, 11:09 AM

He will get bigger, stronger, and better, and that has already been put into motion!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: William Trevor Lawrence’s freshman year achievements ]

His high school coach asked him early on what his goals were. He said his goal is to be the greatest QB of all time. His hero is Peyton Manning, who for 20 years was the standard for work ethic, preparedness, and football intelligence. Those two facts tell me that Trevor works very hard to get better everyday at the game of football, especially the cerebral part of it. The coaches noted that he came in during the spring last year and was way ahead mentally of a typical true freshman, understanding the concepts. It’s why he nearly was named the started coming out of spring practice. Some coaches wanted him to be the starter, but Swinney wanted it to be a unanimous decision, which was finally arrived at after his 4 touchdown game against Georgia Tech.

It also tells me he plays for the love of the game, which Peyton Manning talked about a lot. That’s why I think there is a good chance Trevor plays all 4 years at Clemson, just like Peyton and just like Christian Wilkins. They do it for the sheer joy and passion for the game. You can’t fake that. Can’t coach that. That’s innate, and Trevor clearly has it.

An anecdote to that is when I saw Trevor step off the team bus when arriving in Dallas for the Cotton Bowl and he had a giant binder in one hand, I knew Notre Dame was in trouble. He is a true student of the game, and that’s why he will be better each and every year he plays football until he retires in 25 years.

Manziel and Winston...would be interesting to compare...

Jan 19, 2019, 11:22 AM

...the stats WITHOUT the standard commentary about character of the player....just would like to understand the stats behind them winning it versus TL not even invited.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Manziel and Winston...would be interesting to compare...

Jan 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

Manziel and Winston were both redshirt freshman. That’s a huge difference compared to a true freshman. QBs aren’t expected to be among the best in the country as true freshman because it’s such a leap from high school and so much to learn. So conventionally, “experts” have basically ignored or downplayed true freshman QBs. Also, Manziel and Winston’s redshirt freshman seasons were more impressive statistically. Winston threw for 40 touchdown passes and Manziel ran and threw for more touchdowns and broke a bunch of SEC all-purpose yards records previously held by Archie Manning.

That's a great point....never followed them close enough..

Jan 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

...to pay attention to TRUE vs REDSHIRT status. All you ever hear is Manziel was the first freshman to win the Heisman.

Re: That's a great point....never followed them close enough..

Jan 19, 2019, 11:45 AM

The disctinti9n didn’t come up before because any freshman to do anything at QB was a redshirt. They made a big deal of Jalen Hurts being a true freshman in 2016 and then Jake Fromm in 2017. The tide is finally turning on that.

And in Watson's case he was out with a hand injury for...

Jan 19, 2019, 11:50 AM

...several games. And of course that was his ACL years but we didn't know that until after USuC.

Jan 19, 2019, 11:27 AM

Great breakdown of Trevor's accomplishments to date. Don't you know our future opponents dread facing him?!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2019, 11:37 AM

I read on a Bama board that they really hope TL takes the advice of some of these clowns that are calling for TL to sit out the next two years. They are very afraid.

So both our QBs and the head coach are all named William

Jan 19, 2019, 11:30 AM

and none of them go by that name or even a modification of it? That's odd.

I'm seriously gonna go check and see if Renfrow and ETN aren't secret Williams too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So both our QBs and the head coach are all named William

Jan 19, 2019, 11:36 AM

I didn’t even notice that. I love connections like that.

Bill Swinney and Bill Lawrence.....Hmmmm***

Jan 19, 2019, 11:38 AM [ in reply to So both our QBs and the head coach are all named William ]

Someone said Chase Brice's first name is William too

Jan 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

Not sure if that's true

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and....

Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 AM

won the natty just throwing 50/50 balls!

:S

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,676
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic