Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will football even be played 125 years from now as last 125+ years?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Will football even be played 125 years from now as last 125+ years?

May 26, 2019, 9:31 AM

In that football could be called a caveman-like mentality muscle game as opposed to polo or any gentile sports team game..

Question is: when do you think it will be banned from the face of the earth due to its general brutality, cripping injuries and/or deaths, brain defects..and crazy fan bases..and ever-growing stadiums, high coaches salaries..overbearing traffic congestion & trash pollution, over-priced concessions, uninterested students who won't even fill up the green pasture called The HiLL, etc..

and simply becoming something not needed anymore over the next unknown years to prove one's manhood & athletic ability in the form of TEAM.

When you consider where its come in 125+ years and probably within the next 125 years we will most likely have colonies living on the moon or Mars..

and with such extreme technogy will humans even want to duke it out on a football field with an Orange (well, brown) pigskin pumpkin, as Andy Griffith stated so humorously years ago.

If football progresses as much as it has last 125 years concerning protective head & body wear..will players be enveloped in a cocoon-like outer garment?

People have different priorities & needs today, which will change even more drastically in the real space-age years ahead.

Hey, it's possible that there won't even be large college campuses OR stadiums in the future in that higher education will be done even more online & thus current brick & mortal campuses will be slowly closed (and stadiums) or used by non-educational organizations.

OK, Ok..I know this reaks of stupidity & against our Southern heritage (game actually started up North) of loving this neat & social but violent sport..

but do you get a glimpse of what may happen to college football future-wise with people having to change their lifestyle, habits, likes, perferences, $ expenditures, etc due to the Rocket Age we're about to blast off in sooner than later.

Just ask Musk & his SpaceX partners about whether football is needed uP there!

What's your take on football for the next 125 years?

PS: I see I've upset a Peahead or two with this radical football post but the head is there to use, imagine with & conjure up new thought processes & ideas that may go against the common opinion of the day.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will football even be played in next 125+ years as last 125+ years?

May 26, 2019, 10:11 AM

I see what you mean. I'm not sure football as we know it will be around, but I believe individual sports and team sports will be around. Due to a health issue I've had to give up many of my favorite pastimes, including rec soccer, running, biking, back packing, kayaking, and others. I'm left with walling and hiking.

I miss them all dearly. I think there is an innate desire in all men and women to be active physically. Also, a need to compete with each other, even if nothing more than checkers.

So yes Bill, there will be sports, but perhaps not our beloved football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 11:11 AM

The question is not if we will play football on 125 years but will we play football in 10 years. There is an agenda out there today to stop this barbaric game. Already parents are saying my child is not playing football, if there are no pee wee leagues there will not be players for college.

May 26, 2019, 11:20 AM

No! But I dare you to come up with ANYTHING in this high tech world that will be even remotely the same 125 years from now. Good news is ... none of us need worry about it.

Two HUGE problems with colonizing the moon or mars

May 26, 2019, 10:24 AM

Obama cancelled the Constellation program which was a program to get us back to the moon. He used the funding for education programs instead. Trump has increased funding to get us back to the moon with the Space launch system, but it has had problems. ULA/Boeing will be putting humans back in space this year, and SpaceX is probably not far behind or could even be first. Either way we now have two private companies that can launch people to space (very soon).

Mars is more likely to be colonized since there is water and minerals, but neither mars or the moon has protection from radiation. On Earth we are protected by earths magnetic field. Lead shields are not practical in outer space. There is no technology on the horizon. The second huge problem is gravity. Humans lose bone mass and muscle mass when they are in outer space no matter how hard they work out. Mars is better than the moon is better than a space station, but still a huge problem that we haven't been able to figure out at all on the space station.

It appears that next up will be another space station. NASA and Bigelow Aerospace both have space stations planed. NASA's will be a joint effort like the ISS for sure. It is much smaller than the ISS. It is called LOP-G. The space station will be close to the moon so going to the moon will be common. Large rockets will be necessary to get the heavy components to the space station, but it probably will open a cislunar economy for private companies. Think bus from low earth orbit to the moon and back with smaller rockets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's spin that vision another way...

May 26, 2019, 10:49 AM

imagine 125 years from now that the game is exceptionally brutal simply because it is not played by humans anymore, at least not on the field. With AI and robotic technology, I could see where the game actually becomes more "cerebral" in that a human controller would use their brains to simply control a humanoid robot on the field. In essence, any student could join the "football team" if they had a good understanding of the game. There would be no need for targeting calls because the robot could not be injured.

We may cringe in horror at the thought of being delegated to nothing more than a student-athlete controller in the future but we basically do the same thing now with military drones minus the mind control. What seems far fetched to us cave-men would be perfectly normal to those Clemson students of the year 2144.

Hopefully they still say "Go Tigers!!!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

^ Whoa, Wow & Dang!

May 26, 2019, 10:57 AM

One of the best, most astute, interesting & futuristic posts ever seen on TigerNet in my almost 10 years!

Congrats WhoDatTiger!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks LBB. I watch far too much Star Trek reruns!***

May 26, 2019, 11:02 AM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Bring back a real sport

May 26, 2019, 11:19 AM

<###### src="https://giphy.com/#####/13gBYF9DkGRR1S" width="480" height="262" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen>

via GIPHY

Re: Bring back a real sport

May 26, 2019, 11:51 AM

Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!

God gives me one day at a time, Bill.

May 26, 2019, 11:40 AM

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will football even be played 125 years from now as last 125+ years?

May 26, 2019, 12:00 PM

..."cave-man mentality.."

There is a reasonable likelihood we will again be cave-men in 125 years.

May 26, 2019, 12:00 PM

Dont know if to take your post seriously or not, but...

Football has a real problem with the discovery of CTE. Reportedly, scientist are working on a test that will be able to diagnose this disease in the living populations (as opposed to post-mortem examinations). I think that if this disease is starting at the youth level, then football's future will not survive the next couple generations. If it only affects NFL players, then the sport might keep on going for the foreseeable future. The sport is certainly now under the microscope (literally) and the attention it will receive over head injuries and cognitive decline will be the discussion of the future.

You bring up another good point - What will brick and mortar colleges even look like in 30 years?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/will-traditional-colleges-universities-become-obsolete-180967788/

May 26, 2019, 12:24 PM

I hate to speculate this BUT there may no longer be such a thing as "student athlete". As professional
entertainers, no class time is required. It would be highly unionized with strikes common.

Fans would be those remaining willing to recognize it as the minor league of the NFL. Sorry for this dismal speculation but this movement is already in its infancy.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 1:32 PM

Yes, hopefully it will be played in heaven and some old men will not just be spectators. We will be able to play again like kids. Praise The Lord!

May 26, 2019, 2:37 PM

In 125 years, I won't be around to watch football or any sport in this world. I'm with sanwt's post on this one.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 2:56 PM

As stated football does have a problem with CTE. However, that isn't the problem by itself. The high cost of insuring a high school kid will be. As districts stop having teams college teams will have no one to play; at least that is the theory!
Back to reality doom and gloom crowd! Not so fast!
As long as UFC is around. Boxing. Race Car Driving. X Games where people can literally be killed in front of you. I have no worry about football going anywhere. Not anytime soon; b/c as long as there is money in it people will invest in it.

As far as if it will look the same 125 years from now. Who knows? Maybe it will all be virtual and based on speed charts and a mind scan of what a player "would have done". LOL! I won't have to worry about that; but it would be a crying shame to rob that generation of this sport.

Miners go in knowing they could get caved in. Same with firemen. I am a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I knew full well the danger I was putting myself in when I volunteered.

The only change will come if too many people who aren't willing to put up with "ALL" the risk want it modified. The game has never been safer than it is today and it's not even close. From; "shake it off or toughen up and get back in there". To, "if you stagger a little they taking you out and keeping close watch on you"! For weeks sometimes!

Only people who have a bone to pick with the sport would want to see it go away i.m.o. Be it; the pros get paid too much for their liking or some football player use to take all their lovers. Whatever the case; you can't find another sport where so many different people are involved and must all be engaged in order to win or accomplish a goal. I said sport now; not trying to compare this to the military. It's a microcosm of all the things people like to think we are as a society and people will protect it. I believe so anyway!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This post gave me goosebumps!

May 26, 2019, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Will football even be played 125 years from now as last 125+ years? ]

I remember my grandpa throwing the football with me when I was very little. Hopefully one day that can happen again! ??

May 26, 2019, 3:05 PM

I’ll bet the old Romans had this same discussion about their beloved gladiatorial games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 11:50 PM

I bet you are right - 1972!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Polo will be banned first, because of supposed animal cruelty!

May 26, 2019, 8:19 PM

Along with the horse racing, greyhound racing, sled dog racing, etc!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The short answer is no. There are no more hard nosed kids in

May 26, 2019, 8:29 PM

This country. I'm disgusted by our soft a$z society

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The short answer is no. There are no more hard nosed kids in

May 26, 2019, 11:54 PM

Well - I hear you - Dominance!! But - I think there are still many tough nosed kids in our country!! Am I wrong?!? I don’t think so !! -:)

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic