Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is U of SuC a perennial bottom dweller?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Why is U of SuC a perennial bottom dweller?

Jan 23, 2019, 12:26 PM

They've been in two major conference and the only championship they have is from 1969 when they went 7-4 and the only teams they beat that year all had losing records.

Is it that their mascot is a nickname of male genitalia? Or, their university is a dump? It's mind boggling they haven't done much of anything as even a blind squirrel can find a nut (maybe that describes 1969). Mindset...sense of entitlement? Always in the shadow of the valley of death?

Name other schools that dump that kind of money into their football program and have a stadium that large that have never accomplished anything. Even Arkansas has accomplished more.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One name - Ben Tillman.***

Jan 23, 2019, 12:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower

Jan 23, 2019, 1:37 PM

quality segment of society.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower

Jan 23, 2019, 1:46 PM

I'm not sure how they can wear funeral colors to every game and then are surprised when their team chooses to play dead so often.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower ]

The people I do not understand are the fans that did not go to school at Carolina. It is one thing to be a fan of the school you graduated from because you were unable to get into Clemson. But to actually make a choice to be a coot fan when you have no ties to the school whatsoever is hard to grasp.

They will in turn say the same thing about fans of our Tigers that did not go to Clemson. In that case it can at least be said that have chosen to pull for a winner as opposed to a perpetual LOSER!

Jan 23, 2019, 2:02 PM

I can't fault anyone for pulling for a school even if they didn't go there. If that's the case then people couldn't be college sports fans before the age of 18. Yes, some people had parents or family that went to a certain school, but that isn't the case for everyone either, and heck some people just end up pulling against whoever certain people in their family pulls for.

Then yes, some people will end up changing teams they pull for once they start going to college, but that's not easy for some people if they grew up pulling for someone else. Not going to a certain place may not be as simple as not being able to get in. Perhaps it was cheaper to stay closer to home, or of course majors can be a huge factor. I certainly understand taking a deeper level of pride in pulling for the same school you attended, but I don't think anyone is any more or less of a fan due to not attending the school.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:24 PM

What I don't get is people who attended/graduated from CLEMSON who are coot fans (and were while they were Clemson students). I know 2 such people (one even played in Tiger Band with me)...that just BAFFLES me.

Jan 23, 2019, 10:43 PM

Now that is something I will never understand. They personally experienced the difference in education and the culture of both schools, but chose the one with no culture, tradition etc. UoSuC does not have ONE original tradition. Their entrance theme is from an old movie, their fire extinguishers and sparklers have been and are still used many places, they have no fight song, the use Sand Storm ridiculously but that too has been used at many schools prior to them ever using it ie VT. What do they have to be proud of. They are vile fans with zero class. It’s just baffling
Perhaps they should be called the Fighting Thomas Sumter Gamecocks.

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

Message was edited by: jeancooper®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

ONE original tradition.... Wrong, buddy - I'm pretty sure

Jan 24, 2019, 7:40 AM

that a chicken in a shower curtain entrance is definitely THEIRS and only theirs.

Jan 23, 2019, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Re: their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower ]

Should’ve been kicked out for insubordination.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a close friend who grew up a coot

Jan 24, 2019, 8:09 AM [ in reply to Re: their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower ]

And whose father played baseball there. Came to CU for RPA major. Still lives in the area but still a coot to this day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower ]

Actually, I know why "those" people area fans and it speaks volumes to the life choices of the non-alum fan base. If you are outside carolina, you might understand a bit easier.... as growing up in the white meat state (Virginia) I saw a lot of this....

They were the kid who wore "coots" word in middle school because it said "coots". They did not know the school behind the "coots", just that it said "coots" and would make the administrators mad. Any other UVA, VaTech, UNCheat, Dook, NC State, Old Dominion, Radford, or Cleveland Browns fans just would never wear that crud because it was "funny".

Now fast forward... that kid still wore the "coots" through HS/expulsion because it was funny and ticked off the "successful establishment". They now identify with the coots and despite their life being a failure and having no true higher purpose or goals, they now identify with the underachievers. Sad really, they have hope for "next year" but their own lack of merit and work ethic will only confirm their underachieving status....

As for the alums, they just shrug and say it was the best offer they got... well, the only offer really. It was UofSC or the community college and their EX was at the community college so why not columbia, it can't be that bad...

Jan 24, 2019, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: their dark colors are depressing and appeal to a lower ]

Isn’t it worse to be a bandwagon fan?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Why is U of SuC a perennial bottom dweller?

Jan 23, 2019, 2:00 PM

It is said that experience is a great teacher. The Gamecocks have been bottom dwellers for so long they have a vast amount of experience on their side, thus, their successful failures can be attributed to experience.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Astuteness in its

Jan 23, 2019, 2:10 PM

Oldest Form!

How was that Joe?!

Haaa...!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 2:10 PM

1) Their stadium is in the middle of a flea market. 2) Garnet isn't even a real color. 3) Most importantly, the football Gods will never, NEVER let a team called "#####" win anything of significance.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Glad to see you still live AFDAWG...

Jan 23, 2019, 2:13 PM

for another day!

Oh, did you know my Clemson Grad Son went on to UGA-Law..and barks & growls!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ Glad to see you still live AFDAWG...

Jan 23, 2019, 2:17 PM

Good for him! He's got a little "Go Dawgs" in him then :) I was happy to see Clemson put a beat down on Bama. My only regret was Dabo didn't hang 50 on them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 2:12 PM

One reason for sure is because they say Go C ocks.
It’s Ghey

Jan 23, 2019, 2:15 PM

I think a lot of it is branding. I know this seems like trash talking, but I don't understand having a chicken as a mascot, or how their fans don't cringe at the sound of a rooster crowing on 3rd downs to get the crowd fired up.

I of course know we're all biased towards our own teams, but I can at least understand how a VT fan would feel proud about their entrance. I can at least see how an FSU fan would feel pride about their entrance, and the sound of their fans chanting. Heck, I hate UGA and I think their bulldog looks cool. Not everyone will agree with those thoughts, but I can at least wrap my head around how fans of those teams would take pride in those things.

I can't for the life of me understand how even the most hardcore South Carolina fan can look at a live chicken on their sidelines and feel pride, or feel excited over that chicken over the PA, or get excited over the chicken mascot coming out of that cage.

Who knows how much of that holds them back, if any, but they fail to do anything special that they can call their own. They take the biggest pride in being in the SEC. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in that, heck even Alabama takes pride in being in the SEC. The difference though is Alabama isn't defined by being in the SEC. Being in the SEC is simply among the things that Alabama fans take pride in, and Alabama is the driving force behind what makes the SEC a powerful brand.

South Carolina fans feel they are special simply for the fact that they are in the SEC. On top of that, the biggest thing they constantly knock Clemson for is not being in the SEC. That should tell you all you need to know about their program right there. Their biggest asset is how good the other teams on their schedule are, and their only real knock against their rival is that their rival doesn't have those same teams on their schedule. So why would a recruit not just go to one of those other teams then?

Then it's been over 20 years since they hired a coach who wasn't already passed his prime, or who hadn't been fired in his last stop. Spurrier was still a good hire because most teams would've wanted him at the time, and he did win there, but he was and will always be known as a Florida guy first. Who else in the SEC who expects to compete for championships would've hired a coach who was fired just 2 years before from another SEC school? Can you imagine Florida hiring a head coach that South Carolina had fired recently, or ever? Could you imagine Clemson hiring Taggart a few years from now as our head coach if we had an opening and FSU fired him?

Muschamp even brought over the same OC he had with him during his last year at Florida, and that should've told them everything they needed to know about him if it wasn't already obvious enough. Then the guy says he wished he had hired the OC earlier in his run at Florida and he'd still be the coach there if he had done so...only to end up having to fire him a couple years later at South Carolina.

If you ask them, the gamecock is in honor of Thomas

Jan 23, 2019, 3:10 PM

Sumter, the "Carolina Gamecock". You remember him, right? He's the one who paid soldiers with slaves. Maybe we need to remind them of this:

"Sumter’s Law” - In addition to promising a healthy slave between the ages of ten and forty to any white who enlisted, Sumter's Law promised that recruiters were to receive a bonus of one slave for every twenty-five whites enlisted during a two-month period. Since neither Sumter nor the South Carolina legislature had any slaves of their own to barter for enlistments, they honored the bounty with slaves captured or confiscated from Loyalists.

And they harass us for having a Tillman hall...

Re: If you ask them, the gamecock is in honor of Thomas

Jan 23, 2019, 8:47 PM

I can find the reference and why Sumter was called a gamecock, I cannot find any reference to the bartering of slaves during the war. Can you direct me to where I can find that. I would very much like to introduce that information to some friends that are gamecock fans

You can just google him or Summers Law.

Jan 23, 2019, 10:01 PM

Here’s one link but there’s lots out there:
http://www.scencyclopedia.org/sce/entries/african-americans-in-the-revolutionary-war/

“Sumter’s Law”. Stupid autocorrect. .***

Jan 23, 2019, 10:03 PM

Re: You can just google him or Summers Law.

Jan 24, 2019, 6:17 AM [ in reply to You can just google him or Summers Law. ]

Thank you

Re: If you ask them, the gamecock is in honor of Thomas

Jan 23, 2019, 10:38 PM [ in reply to If you ask them, the gamecock is in honor of Thomas ]

Thank you for the link and I borrowed the info you provided above. Just too much info to not share inasmuch as those dirt peckers are constantly talking about Clemson’s heritage. I realize none of that matters now because thank God we are past that period in our history

If you like that one, did you know that early in their history students

Jan 23, 2019, 10:58 PM

could pay an extra fee and they were provided the services of a slave, owned by the University. That fact usually ruffles their feathers. I’ll look for a link when I get a chance.

Re: If you like that one, did you know that early in their history students

Jan 24, 2019, 6:18 AM

Ansolutely

Understand with this topic I am only trying to bring to

Jan 24, 2019, 9:38 AM

light some history of that school in the midlands to counter some of the crap they spew toward Clemson. I personally don’t judge anyone from 200 years ago by today’s standards...times were different then.

With that said:
http://slaveryatusc.weebly.com

The gamecock mascot might be worse than the Banana Slugs

Jan 23, 2019, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is U of SuC a perennial bottom dweller? ]

naw LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 2:34 PM

if you find out for gods sakes dont let them know. lol

Character

Jan 23, 2019, 3:29 PM

or more precisely, the lack thereof.

Why U of SuC is the perennial bottom dweller

Jan 23, 2019, 4:14 PM

Their head is always down, pecking at the dirt. Have no vision for advancing except to the defeather machine.

Jan 23, 2019, 4:44 PM

USC was founded in what, 1801 I believe?

Also, recall WHY Clemson was founded: during the 1800's, USC had established itself a reputation of being a "draft dodging" school, or a "good ol boy" school. They had some programs, like a small farm outside of Columbia, so they could say they technically offered classes and programs. One protest to establishing Clemson was USC alumni in the state legislator saying that USC already had an Ag School in the form of a dismal and poorly run cotton field outside of Columbia. But under the surface, USC simply served as a 4 year daycare for the offspring of the State's rich and elite to go and network, biding their time until they too took over daddy's textile business, law firm, or followed suit as a state politician fueled by old family money. In those days, they set the standard of entry low enough that any rich kid from Columbia's elite could attend, but was "too much" for the common man of the state to entire. It was a rich kid country club.

Effectively, what USC was doing for rich kids in the 1800's what UNC did with their paper classes for their athletes over the last 25 years.

That is why Clemson was founded, and why Carolina resisted it so much, and why there is lasting hatred and resentment today. USC was a school for rich kids to take paper classes. It was always mediocre, it was to maintain a good ol' boy system, not provide valuable education and true leadership. And what USC was doing inadvertently hurt the economy of the rest of the state. The State NEEDED workers who had higher order skills. Skills that were not taught or learned by simply learning on the family farm.

The State needed college educated men (and later women) who had the brains and the skill set to manage large commercial textile and farming, and other large economic entities. Because USC always treated education in a lackadaisical manner, Clemson contrasted this by establishing itself as a military school. At the time, being in the military, particularly an officer (requiring a college degree to earn a commission) held an elite status in society. Men who were military officers were considered among the best of American society: the smartest, bravest, most ambitious, commanding, and hardened in such a way that they could provide the best leadership available wherever they established themselves. Hence the old motto, "A Clemson man needs no introduction."

Since USC was not fulfilling this obligation, and was a haven for rich kids to avoid other services while they waited to inherit old family money and businesses, the state desperately needed a competent class of economic leaders. Thus, with some resentment, they agreed to establish Clemson. They KNEW that the military standards of the school would make better workers and leaders, and they knew that this was a demand the State desperately needed fulfilled.

And I think THAT is exactly why USC is mediocre, and why so many aspects of the state continue to suffer. Since its founding, USC has never prioritized the level of excellence that Clemson has since Clemson was founded.

The results speak for themselves. Look at the freshmen academic requirements. Look at Clemson's academic rankings. Look at the performance of Clemson grads over a lifetime vs USC grads, and earning potential. Look at the football programs. Look at what areas of the state have the highest concentration of Clemson grads (Greenville metro area). I believe there is a correlation between the population of Clemson grads in Greenville, and the fact that Greenville is the fastest growing area in the country and one of the top places to live. Its an economic powerhouse.

Also consider that Clemson grads focus more on engineering related STEM fields, a field that has become dominant in the Greenville area.

Now look at USC's academic bread and butter: business, law, and related liberal arts focuses, such as Political Science. USC grads have long dominated the state Capital and every aspect of the State government, including its various branches and all levels of its bureaucracy.

Look at who has historically controlled state infrastructure programs, state education programs, etc. etc.

It is no coincidence that those State programs operate just as poorly as the Coot football team.

Its also no coincidence that the governor who brought about the single greatest era of economic success in the state of South Carolina's history (despite the fact the rest of the country encountering the worst economic recession since the Depression during the same period) was a Clemson graduate.

The correlation between Clemson excellence and Coot mediocrity reaches FAR beyond the success and failures of the respective football programs and academics at each school.

The difference is CULTURE. And that has always been the difference since day 1.

Hey! How xactly is a rainbow made?

Jan 23, 2019, 9:30 PM

How xactly does a sun set? How xactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

Cause bottom feeders are bottom dwellers***

Jan 23, 2019, 9:45 PM

Jan 24, 2019, 7:36 AM

The same reasons out b-ball team has never had sustained success? Yet our silly fans, like coot fans, believe we can simply fire the coach instantly become a top 20 program

USuCk is NCAA football's Carp.

Jan 24, 2019, 7:48 AM

The carp was created with a mouth which opens toward the bottom. It sucks in water and muck off the lake's bottom surface and spits it out causing the silt to wash away and leave tiny bits of decayed nutrients laying there which it then consumes.

Most people say carp are not fit to eat but my grandfather had a recipe he shared with my back about 50 years ago. Now this post probably should have been a thread starter.

You clean the carp and you must remove the 'mud streak,' which runs down the center of the meat head to tail. Wash the meat well and place it on an oak board. The carp must be basted with butter and lemon before putting it in a 275 degree oven. After 5 minutes baste it again and let the butter/lemon mixture cover the board. Again it must be basted at the 15 min interval and sprinkled liberally with salt, pepper, basil and a touch of garlic powder or fresh squeezed garlic juice if you have it.

Take the fish out of the oven at exactly the 25 min mark, throw the fish on a platter and eat the board cause carp ain't fit to eat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 9:07 AM

A bit of that is timing.

Had we stayed in the ACC we would have won the conference in 84 probably 87.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Why is Water Wet?***

Jan 24, 2019, 9:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People don't think things be like it is

Jan 24, 2019, 10:10 AM

but it do

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic