Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do we even have playoffs?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,132

Why do we even have playoffs?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:16 AM

We should just go back to the AP votes since it’s all about “who we think are the best teams”.

It seems like the result on the field doesn’t matter.

They’re taking about Georgia in the playoffs is ridiculous. The conversation should just be between Ohio State and Oklahoma, and maybe Notre Dame at most. That’s it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The conversation is between OU and OSU...

Dec 2, 2018, 10:17 AM

in the room that matters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

They should both be in over ND***

Dec 2, 2018, 10:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully you're right !!!***

Dec 2, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to The conversation is between OU and OSU... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That is a valid point. Basically what Herbie is advocating

Dec 2, 2018, 10:22 AM

is exactly what we were trying to get away from 20 years ago, where opinions trumped actual results. Of course that led to the BCS computer models of pure formula which them swung the pendalum back away from the "eye test".

The playoff committee was supposed to create that balance between pure formulas and raw opinion, wasn't it?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Unless and until there is a TRUE playoff format...

Dec 2, 2018, 10:28 AM

similar to what the FCS teams use, the human element and the "eye test" bull$#!7 will continue to be a fundamental flaw in the existing system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Why even ask this question?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:32 AM

I really enjoy the games! Esp when Tigers win...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do we even have playoffs?

Dec 2, 2018, 10:36 AM

Thirteen opinions from one room that can be affected by group think vs 61 independent opinions. It just seems obvious to me that the committee is not an improvement. Set the guidelines up for the writers to use for judging the teams so that they are on a similar page and let them do the job. The committee only seems to use the guidelines to justify what they decide, not to determine it.

Dec 2, 2018, 10:39 AM

I was referring to determine the playoff participants. I am not advocating scrapping the playoffs.

You want writers to pick? Even using a criteria guideline I

Dec 2, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do we even have playoffs? ]

shiver at the thougth of Finebaum or Sapakof having any real say in voting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Dec 2, 2018, 11:49 AM

To get the best 4 perceived teams together and to watch them duke it out to see who is the best at the end of the year.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,132
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic