Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why are we not pursuing the Wichita State coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Why are we not pursuing the Wichita State coach?

Mar 26, 2019, 9:40 PM

That dude knows how to win an NIT game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I heard he was looking at houses on

Mar 26, 2019, 9:42 PM

Lake Hartwell when he was in town. I think D-Rad had a secret meeting with him. Rumor has it we’re about to shell out the big bucks for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I heard that as well.

Mar 26, 2019, 9:46 PM

Although he will have to take a salary cut to come to Clemson, DRad promised to move us up from 14th to 12th in basketball spending in the ACC, and assured him that we will have good fan support for games in January and February as long as the game doesn't start too early or too late and there is nothing football-related going on.

He reportedly agreed to this, because we play in the ACC and Clemson is such a charming town.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I know a little bit about basketball. Give me

Mar 26, 2019, 10:00 PM

$500K to be the head coach, and I’ll use the other $2 Million to hire a couple of great assistants.

Hmmmm...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that gamecock ain't coming to Clemson,Maybe the

Mar 26, 2019, 10:29 PM

coots if something happens to their coach

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck with assistants Use the 2 million to buy a player or 2

Mar 27, 2019, 7:17 AM [ in reply to I know a little bit about basketball. Give me ]

Surely, New Springs can help us out here :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judge Keller's List of Lame Excuses

Mar 26, 2019, 10:06 PM [ in reply to I heard that as well. ]

Let's just ask Crump to pin it to the front page.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be great, then I wouldn't have to keep reposting

Mar 26, 2019, 10:10 PM

them for clarification when people intentionally misquote me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Well I've never misquoted you, yet

Mar 26, 2019, 10:28 PM

Your excuses are still lame. No offense. Irrelevant to wins and losses may be a better way to put it.

They aren't excuses at all.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:51 PM

I know it's easier to keep believing that being the head basketball coach at Clemson is a great job where the athletic department provides everything needed to be successful, but that simply isn't true.

No, they're definitely excuses.

Mar 27, 2019, 9:03 AM

And lame ones at that.

Your biggest beefs seem to be with the admin and fan support.

The admin has nothing to do with how well a coach does his job. Barnes and Purnell are good examples. They won in spite of any admin excuses. Secondly, the fans supported them. Why? Because they won games.

The admin is NOT the reason Brad has been unable to get over the hump and appears eternally stuck at mediocre. Fans are not the reason for Brad's abysmal record in close games. The fans supported Brad just fine, but the attendance has dropped, why? Because we're tired of watching the groundhog day of mediocrity.

Those excuses are lame. They've been stomped on over and over again, by countless posters. Yet, you just keep chuckin' them up there as if they have something to do with Brad's mediocrity.

They don't.

Please just stop.

Re: No, they're definitely excuses.

Mar 27, 2019, 9:25 AM

Wow. You don't think resources have an ability to affect the head coach?

I guess we should cut Venables, Scott, and Elliot. We are just waisting money. No need for any facilities as they can just use the old drill field....;) Wasn't that Dabo's genius? Spend on your support?

Brad accounts for 40% of the basketball budget. That is absurd as we are only spending 3.5 million on everything else.

Other coaches in the same pay bracket normally have 7+ million for everyone else. So yeah, "blame" the admin, blame lackluster support but Brad is plowing rocks and still getting something.

Neither Brad's pay nor the pay of his assistants

Mar 27, 2019, 9:32 AM

has anything to do with their ability to coach.

By the way, Venebles caoched well before he got the enormous salary.

Blaming a coach's inability tp get over the hump on admin or fans is...lame.

Re: Neither Brad's pay nor the pay of his assistants

Mar 27, 2019, 11:36 AM

I thought some other program basically demoted BV....

You missed the point

Mar 27, 2019, 6:55 PM

The football coaches werent paid well until after they proved they could coach.

Again, the money Brad and his assistants make is MORE THAN ENOUGH to prove they can coach. Its not like Brad would fire all his current assistants and hire new ones if the admin gave him more money to play with.

Acting like the extra resources given to a program

Mar 27, 2019, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Neither Brad's pay nor the pay of his assistants ]

don't impact the ability to recruit and develop players is what's lame.

If the coaches you have in place are all that matter, why are other ACC programs spending millions more on basketball each year than us? Do you think those athletic departments just like wasting money?

Yeah a slide and wiffle ball field would be awesome

Mar 27, 2019, 7:02 PM

But they wouldnt have helped Brad coach 4 seniors who finished in the sweet 16 to another tournament bid.

Its been 9 years. Where's the progression? Where's the foundation? Where's the identity? If coaches at smaller schools with less money can do it, then we should be able to do it with AMPLE money. We should have made more than 2 tournaments in 9 years.

Wake up Judge. Stop the excuses..

Well said.

Mar 27, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to No, they're definitely excuses. ]

The excuses are infinite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How successful do you think Dabo would've been

Mar 27, 2019, 11:59 AM [ in reply to No, they're definitely excuses. ]

here if we hadn't given him plenty of money to hire the top assistant coaches he wanted, build the facilities he wanted, and given him great fan support?

If you don't think those things matter, then how would you feel if we cut our football budget to get rid of the unnecessary stuff?

Obviously apples to oranges, because our football program has a great history that our basketball program does not. But I bring it up because it is a Clemson-related example of a program that has tremendous administrative and fan support, and one that most fans want to see us spend whatever money necessary to make sure our program has whatever it needs.

Given that, why not do the same for basketball? Or at least fund it better than next-to-last in the ACC?

Pretty sure Dabo fought pretty hard for the new facilities,

Mar 27, 2019, 12:08 PM

personally met with potential donors, etc.

Plus he gave some of his salary increases to his assistants, so he was not [at least initially] given "plenty of money to hire the top assistant coaches he wanted".

I'm not on the "Fire Brownell" bandwagon (I really don't care either way), but your comparison is definitely not apples to apples.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I heard that as well.

Mar 27, 2019, 9:44 AM [ in reply to I heard that as well. ]

It’s amazing how you continue to state that the program is in a good place with Coach Brownell. You continue to give reasons on why a new coach wouldn’t work or we can’t get a better one. You don’t know until you try. Even more so 2 NCAA appearances in 10 years and 1 with OPs players. How much worse can it get with a new coach, I think the Witchia st Coach Greg Marshall if I’m not mistaken would be a great get for clemson. I heard announcers during the game state that Wichita St lost almost all of their players from the team last year but still made the NIT and we returned almost everyone from a Sweet 16 team and could not beat them. That says something to me that Brad isn’t as good as a coach.

When have I EVER said that the program is in a good place?

Mar 27, 2019, 12:06 PM

It has significant funding issues which wouldn't fly if we were talking about Clemson football, and you know it. But instead of looking at those issues, and acknowledging that we continue to put our basketball in a very unfair position, you and others choose to blame the coach for not doing better.

Gregg Marshall makes $3.5 million a year, compared to Brad's $2.5 million. He gets everything he wants from his school. He even gets to fly around in private jets for recruiting trips.

The point about program support is critical if we want to get a big name coach. I'm all for doing that, but some of you seem to think that a coach will take a pay cut and also put up with less program support than he's currently getting, simply because Clemson is such a great place. That's ludicrous.

I'll tell you whats ludicrous..

Mar 27, 2019, 6:50 PM

Greg Marshall outcoached Brad Brownell. On Brownell's home court. Marshall had a slew of new players and Brownell had 80% of his starters back from last year. Yet they outhustled, outschemed us, and outplayed us from start to finish.

Brad's reason? "We just didn't have it". It was obvious thw team wasn't playing for him, and they made many if the same boneheaded errors the Brownell-coached teams have oft-exhibited.

Whose fault was it? The admin's, the fans', or the gosh darn head coach?

Stop the excuses.

Probably because so many fans on TNet seem to

Mar 26, 2019, 9:44 PM

perfectly fine with losing NIT games.

Then he isn’t our man.***

Mar 26, 2019, 9:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Yeah, apparently not.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:49 PM

Luckily there's a lot of NIT losers out there to choose from.

Because the Gamecocks have him wrapped up

Mar 26, 2019, 9:54 PM

After Martin bolts for BYU

Wouldn't he have to go on a mission trip first?***

Mar 26, 2019, 9:56 PM

Martin to BYU?? That's a joke!! BYU doesn't allow profanity

Mar 26, 2019, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Because the Gamecocks have him wrapped up ]

from its coaches on the sidelines!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s easy

Mar 26, 2019, 9:54 PM

His wife is bat sheet crazy and the poor coot lover has no choice but to stay married to her. Unless he wants her crazy ### to come after half his bank account.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

ok serious post time

Mar 26, 2019, 10:38 PM

why does who a coaches wife is matter? Like how often do we hear anything about Brownell's wife?

Brownell's wife was mentioned in an article a few years ago

Mar 26, 2019, 11:05 PM

where she criticized his inability to recruit players with offensive talent. Haven't heard much from her since.

So she said he comes up short in scoring?***

Mar 26, 2019, 11:13 PM

Our attendance could double with all his family

Mar 26, 2019, 10:23 PM

in the area

Re: Why are we not pursuing the Wichita State coach?

Mar 27, 2019, 6:59 AM

I think the real reason is that you can’t get to Wichita from Clemson, or vice-versa. Well known fact.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Francis, Francis, Francis....

Mar 27, 2019, 7:23 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic