Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It disgusts me to watch Trump do what he’s doing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 87
| visibility 1

It disgusts me to watch Trump do what he’s doing

May 22, 2019, 7:21 AM

and keep fighting to keep his financial records from being seen. He’s obviously hiding something and the fact that people are defending him is both sad and scary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It disgusts me to watch Trump do what he’s doing

May 22, 2019, 7:35 AM

You fool! There's absolutely no "legislative purpose" for those returns to be handed over. The stupid, stupid Dems just won't let the "Russian Hoax" die. MAGA!

May 22, 2019, 10:45 AM

raventiger said:

You fool! There's absolutely no "legislative purpose" for those returns to be handed over. The stupid, stupid Dems just won't let the "Russian Hoax" die. MAGA!

Read the Mueller report and get back to us. No, actually read it.

(Popular at parties, are ya?)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 9:45 PM

It’s a hit piece written by lawyers, each of whom donated to the Clinton campaign in 16. Part 2 reads like 8 different peoples comments were bundled together.

What do his tax records have to do with

May 22, 2019, 7:41 AM

Jobs, the economy, foreign trade, national defense, debt, immigration, infrastructure, or anything else that's actually important? If he broke laws he'd be in jail already with his taxes.

So sad seeing important things being ignored to persue stupid ####. Russian collusion, #### stars, it's all a distraction. Meanwhile our debt problem will come calling again soon and over a million people will enter the US illegally this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In Best Economy Ever National debt rises - $650 B to $1.1 T

May 22, 2019, 8:14 AM

Per year.

Fiscal conservatives and Tea Party Republicans got to love the King of Debt. Or maybe that is China ... hope they don’t dump those treasury notes over something stupid like tariff wars. It is interesting to pick a fight with someone holding your mortgage.

No worries - we can talk big, posture, make a few headlines, reach some meaningless agreement, claim victory and get that jalopy back on the status quo highway.

How much did federal tax revenue go down by this year?***

May 22, 2019, 1:42 PM

Revenue increased .4%, and the deficit increased 17%

May 22, 2019, 4:29 PM

Here, read up fwiw.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/17/business/trump-tax-cuts-revenue.html

If you're a mouth-breathing dolt, you can go ahead and claim victory after reading this. Or.....I can inform you what the article conveniently leaves out. It leaves out WHY the deficit (spending) increased 17%. Taxes were cut, the economy heated up, more revenue (slightly) came in. So why the huge jump in the deficit? Here's the dirty little secret....

The price we pay to service our $23,000,000,000,000 national debt increased over $110 BILLION in the same year. That's because as the economy heated up, the FEDERAL RESERVE increased the federal lending rate a whopping 1%. It went from 1.5% to 2.5%. That translated to just north of $110 billion EXTRA we had to pay to service our debt, which amazingly, explains almost all of the 17% increase in the deficit.

I'm telling you, a booming economy will break us. Our national debt is why a dem congress under Obama failed to raise the minimum wage. They can't. NO ONE CAN. At the end of the day we can not afford for Americans to put more money in their pockets. WAGES are the key to everything. They simply must remain flat for us to remain solvent. If they go up, inflation goes up, interest rates go up, and the deficit skyrockets.

And reading articles like this that put 100% political spin on something while leaving out the obvious answer is what ticks me off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry you wasted the time to type that...

May 22, 2019, 4:50 PM

it was a rhetorical question. Of course I know revenue has increased and I suspect it will further.

We have a spending problem and not a revenue problem. Without a dramatic cut in scope of the federal government we won't be able to solve the budget problem.

I'm not a Trump fan, but it concerns me to have....

May 22, 2019, 8:07 AM

Congress calling for him to turn over his tax returns when there is no law/regulation calling for candidates to do so.

I also think there are a lot of people that seem to not understand what will and will not be shown on a tax return. Trump's tax return isn't going to show all detailed sources of revenue. When my company files its return, we don't list all of the POs and invoices received/issued throughout that year.

I'm sure the dems are wanting to show his business posted losses for some years, betting on the fact that 90+% of people don't understand business tax law and P/L results. Most people think posting a negative taxable earnings result for a year is a bad thing, don't understand the rules regarding carry over losses, wouldn't even consider cash flow or a balance sheet as part of the evaluation of a business, and on and on.

Going after Trump's tax returns is being done to score political points. It is plain and simple.

How likely do you think it is that someone in his

May 22, 2019, 8:22 AM

circle, somewhere, sold their huawei stock (and Qualcomm etc.) on the day before Trump announced the ban and then bought some on the day before he announced he was suspending the ban for 90 days?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How likely do you think it is that someone in his

May 22, 2019, 8:34 AM

You anti-Trumpers need to take off your tin foil hats! Conspiracies, conspiracies everywhere! Get a grip! The "King of Debt"? Barak Hussein Obama! $10+ trillion in 8 years. He had a chance with the Bowles-Simpson plan to knock it down over 10 years … and the coward took a pass! It was at that point that out-of-control, skyrocketing spending converted to a giant Ponzi scheme … we went way beyond the point-of-no-return … and millennials are going to be big time losers. At 71, and financially secure, I just hope I'm around to see the Dems reap what they've sown. LOL!

2.2 Trillion in new debt since Trump Inauguration.***

May 22, 2019, 9:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How likely do you think it is that someone in his

May 22, 2019, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: How likely do you think it is that someone in his ]

Let me help you with your deep misunderstanding of history.

raventiger said:

You anti-Trumpers need to take off your tin foil hats! Conspiracies, conspiracies everywhere! Get a grip! The "King of Debt"?
King of debt is how Trump described himself in an interview with Nora Odonell of CBS on 06/22/2016 while he was the presumptive Rep. nominee for Pres.

Barak Hussein Obama! $10+ trillion in 8 years. He had a chance with the Bowles-Simpson plan to knock it down over 10 years … and the coward took a pass! It was at that point that out-of-control, skyrocketing spending converted to a giant Ponzi scheme … we went way beyond the point-of-no-return … and millennials are going to be big time losers.

Obama didn't accept Simpson-Bowles because it included a tax hike on the middle class, those making less than $250,000 which included 98% of all Americans. Facts are a funny thing, they never go away.

One must also remember, that a large part of that spending included pulling our economy out of the dumpster fire Bush & Co. left it in. Trump supporters really love ignoring that. So now you have Trump, borrowing from the Chinese to prop up the economy. Trump plans to add $5.088 Trillion to the debt in his first term. Cutting taxes on the wealthy and increasing spending is a tried and true disaster that Republicans seem to love. "Trickle Down" simply doesn't work. The idea that the truly wealthy will use their tax savings to help the middle class has been disproved over and over. Meanwhile, Reagan increased the debt by 186% of where Carter left it, Bush I increased it by 54%, Clinton by 32%, Bush II by 101% and Obama by 74%. Yet you hang it all on Obama?? Straight out of the Right-Wing Playbook.

The fact is that this can be hung on Congress as much as Presidents. The spending has been going on for decades. Trump promised to increase revenue by doing away with the carried interest loophole that taxes income at 20% vs.35% everyone else, not uber rich, has to pay on income. Magically, Trump has changed his mind. And remember the Trump tax cuts? 83% of those cuts benefited the top 1% and Corporations. It's how Amazon, the most profitable company in human history paid $0.00 in Federal income tax last year. This under a Rep. Pres., Rep. Congress and Rep. Senate. But somehow, this is all Obama's fault.

You can be partisan all you want, I certainly am. But facts are still facts. Congress has a 15% approval over the last 20 years. Yet we reelect incumbents at a 94% rate. And as long as they keep us fighting over our tribe vs. your tribe....American's will continue to get shellacked while the rich get richer.

At 71, and financially secure, I just hope I'm around to see the Dems reap what they've sown. LOL!

I'm glad you're financially secure. I suspect that's because you are educated and worked really hard. Good for you.

Meanwhile, 66.6% of Americans over 25% do not have a 4 yr college degree. That's largely because a 4 yr. degree now costs from $80-$100,000 from most colleges. Oh they can borrow all of that at 8% from the big banks, but many can't don't see that as a viable option. Or, I guess they're all just lazy. Everyone knows only Republicans work hard.

what does "someone in his circle" have to do with his...

May 22, 2019, 1:44 PM [ in reply to How likely do you think it is that someone in his ]

tax returns?

I don't care about his tax returns...

May 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

im just asking the other question because I thought about it.

oh...ok***

May 22, 2019, 4:17 PM

Re: I'm not a Trump fan, but it concerns me to have....

May 22, 2019, 8:31 AM [ in reply to I'm not a Trump fan, but it concerns me to have.... ]

Why has every president since Nixon willingly handed them over but he refuses?

Why didn't LBJ or JFK?

May 22, 2019, 9:25 AM

You think the Kennedy's were crystal clean?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

no idea...maybe because he's the only one...

May 22, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not a Trump fan, but it concerns me to have.... ]

whose return is actually a business?

If we want every candidate to turn over their return, why isn't it a law?

May 22, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to I'm not a Trump fan, but it concerns me to have.... ]

flow0440 said:

Congress calling for him to turn over his tax returns when there is no law/regulation calling for candidates to do so.

I also think there are a lot of people that seem to not understand what will and will not be shown on a tax return. Trump's tax return isn't going to show all detailed sources of revenue. When my company files its return, we don't list all of the POs and invoices received/issued throughout that year.

I'm sure the dems are wanting to show his business posted losses for some years, betting on the fact that 90+% of people don't understand business tax law and P/L results. Most people think posting a negative taxable earnings result for a year is a bad thing, don't understand the rules regarding carry over losses, wouldn't even consider cash flow or a balance sheet as part of the evaluation of a business, and on and on.

Going after Trump's tax returns is being done to score political points. It is plain and simple.

You are right that most people don't understand corp and business taxes. That's because they're so fraught with deductions, write-offs, depreciations and loopholes that Corporations hire armies of accountants and lawyers. Look at Amazon in 2018. It's profits soared to $11.2 Billion, which almost doubled it's profits from 2017 of $5.6 Billion. Yet in 2018 it paid $0.00 in Federal Taxes and actually got a rebate of $129 Million. What is wrong with this picture? Simple, the top 1% and major corporations flood our political system with campaign donations and PAC money. Simply put, they buy favorable tax laws by paying politicians. It's gone on for years but is now at intolerable levels. A full 60 profitable Fortune 500 companies paid NO federal taxes on $79 Billion in profits in 2018. In fact, those 60 companies got a net $4.3 Billion in tax rebates.

You think there's something wrong with our tax code?

Sorry, but the terminology that you use is proof of my....

May 22, 2019, 1:41 PM

point to some degree.

"That's because they're so fraught with deductions, write-offs, depreciations and loopholes"

When I hear those kind of terms used, it tells me that you don't really have a grasp on all of the subject matter.

What is a "write-off" anyway? Businesses are taxed on their profits. A "write-off" is just another word for an expense. It's not nefarious to take a "write-off", because it's just the way you calculate profit.

Also, taking a snap-shot of a company's profit in one year and then comparing the taxes paid in that same year also illustrates a certain naivety. Many companies carry forward and backward losses. And the accelerated depreciation schedules for new investments are incentives that can help justify speeding up of planned projects. To then go back and just view the company's 1 year returns in a vacuum isn't really very helpful.

A better way is to look at a companies tax burden over a long period, say 10 years or so.

Re: Sorry, but the terminology that you use is proof of my....

May 22, 2019, 11:10 PM

Thank you for the condescension flow, I hadn't had my daily allowance today.

Aside from that, I think you missed my point. You're pointing out how corporations calculate profit, and I'm trying to point out how corrupt the tax code is...you know, the one they use to calculate profit.

I'm not an accountant, but let's see if you can keep up with me here. A full 60 profitable Fortune 500 companies paid NO federal taxes on $79 Billion in profits in 2018. In fact, those 60 companies got a net $4.3 Billion in tax rebates.

When you avoid the central focus of the post, you betray a certain naivete...

It's not my fault you post on topics you don't understand...

May 23, 2019, 12:45 AM

after I pointed out a few reasons why deal tax patents in a single yr doesn't mean much, you just repeat the same stat...but in bold. How much did those companies pay over 10 yrs?

Re: It's not my fault you post on topics you don't understand...

May 23, 2019, 2:09 PM

flow0440 said:

after I pointed out a few reasons why deal tax patents in a single yr doesn't mean much, you just repeat the same stat...but in bold. How much did those companies pay over 10 yrs?

Again you miss the point my friend. (Deal tax patents?)

Our tax code is corrupt, written in many cases by corporations for their own benefit. Who do you think came up with carried interest?

It doesn't matter how much they paid over ten years. There is no question that large corporations benefit society, look how many people Amazon employees. But that doesn't mean they should skate on paying their fair share like everyone else. They benefit from the roads and infrastructure and military defense, they should help pay for it.

You're actually defending large corporations who don't pay taxes.

That is mind boggling to me.

This is like banging my head against a wall...

May 23, 2019, 4:21 PM

almost all of them pay very significant taxes....to adequately eval that you have to look over a period of time and not take a 1 yr snapshot. The fact that you can't eother admit that or grasp the point is what really astounding here.

I do not believe the tax code is corrupt in general nor do I believe large companies don't "pay their fair share", whatever that means.

But hey, I'm also a Fair Tax supporter, so let's scrap the system altogether. The real segment not payong their fair share are the folks operating in cash businesses!

Re: This is like banging my head against a wall...

May 24, 2019, 6:37 PM

Flow, I've understood your point all along. I'm just making the observation that the tax code had been corrupt for years. This isn't the first year some corportations have paid taxes. It should be an impossibility. Amazon got a $129 Million refund after paying no taxes on billions of profit.

It was a simple observation about a problem we've had in this country for a very long time. It doesn't matter what method the robber used to rob the bank, what matters is he robbed the b

And I don't need to be an accountant to understand our corruption anymore than I need to be a mechanic to drive a car. It has been unfairly tilted toward corporations and the wealthy for years. Where you been that you haven't heard of people complaining about a broken tax code? It's been a topic for years.

The Trump Tax cut? 83% goes to the top 1% and corporations. That leaves 17% to split among 300 million Americans.

Lighten up Francis, we just have different views on a very common complaint.

The 83% stat is utter BS and anyone with common sense...

May 24, 2019, 8:10 PM

should realize that immediately.

That "figure" comes from the year 2027 when the personal income tax sunsets but the corporate income tax rate would stay. It's been repeated by a lot of dems and it a very small notch away from an all out fabrication. They say it because ppl that don't have any understanding on the tax code believe. It would be funny if not so sad.

My opinions

The tax code is not broken

The top 1% pay their "fair share" by any reasonable measure

Corporations pay their "fair share". Too many ppl form opinions from misleading snap shots of a few large corps in a single year. Ppl toss around the term "corporations" and imagine Exxon and GE...not realizing it includes businesses of all sizes...about 8 million c corps and s corps.

May 22, 2019, 9:48 PM [ in reply to I'm not a Trump fan, but it concerns me to have.... ]

Think of the exposure if the tax documents are actual business filings. Think Trumps competitors might have a field day with that? He should sue the carp out of them.

people are generally much more reckless

May 22, 2019, 8:56 AM

when they are invested in a leader, so they are willing to double down because they know it calls into question their own poor judgement.

Do they even care whether or not their country is being sold down the river? Or are they just a party full of grifters?

Tell me how Trump is selling our country down the river.***

May 22, 2019, 9:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are so many obvious conflicts of interest

May 22, 2019, 11:25 AM

The fact that he maintains control of a real estate business while he is running the country is a defacto conflict of interest that should be called into question in any situation where he stands to benefit financially. Case in point is the Global Magnitsky Act, which has made life difficult for Putin and his friends. They need Trump to sidestep this law.

This is why politicians need to be immune from these kind of questions and why it became such a big issue during the campaign.

It is why we have spent the last two years looking at Russia. If he had no financial history with Bayrock, we probably wouldn't be suggesting he has a Russia problem. But here we are.

https://themoscowproject.org/collusion-chapter/chapter-1/

He owned that property when he got 304 electoral votes.

May 22, 2019, 2:13 PM

Your contention is pure bullchit. It's about as valid as impeaching Obama because he's black or impeaching trump because he's rich, white or tall or for that matter has small hands. It makes no sense being that America elected them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I give you Exhibit A

May 22, 2019, 8:55 PM

Your own comment here is perfect example of how deluded voters were that they were willing to sacrifice any semblance of integrity for a short term power grab. Bunch of bootlicking grifters.

This was an issue before the campaign, and there was talk about putting the business in a blind Trust like Ronald Reagan and others.. Trump tapdanced around it just like he did on tax returns and his voters, like petulant children, chose to ignore it.

https://trumpconflicts.sunlightfoundation.com/

Why?

May 22, 2019, 9:31 AM

Tell me why congress has a right or a legislative obligation to see Trump's tax returns. What good is that going to do toward helping them do their jobs?

May 22, 2019, 9:40 AM

This is the best economy in history and unemployment for all demographics is at an all time low.

And you want to argue about tax returns and a report that basically brought nothing against Trump.

Let it go. This is going to be the Democrats' demise come election time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 10:01 AM

I agree with much of that, but it's probably not close to the best economy in history other than low unemployment. There has to be a time in history when unemplyment was relatively low, real wages were higher, and the national debt wasnt skyrocketing. Then again, that's just conjecture. I agree though that the Dems look like they are grasping at straws. They are a mess.

May 22, 2019, 9:48 AM

I think Trump should show his financials and it will probably show how full of it most of us know he is, but in the big picture I don't care. It wont change anything. Also, I hope he wins the next election. 2020-2024 is going to be a cluster f in this country and I prefer he takes responsibility for it rather than a 1 term Dem.

"I don't like Trump, but I sure do like defending him from

May 22, 2019, 10:16 AM

those awful Democrats doing their Constitutional duty." Even Republicans who pretend to dislike Trump defend his daily obstruction of justice and pretty much anything he does. Funny to watch it play out.

This is not going to end well for them either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I don't like Trump, but I sure do like defending him from

May 22, 2019, 10:19 AM

My prediction. Trump wins the election in 2020. Dems end up taking both houses.

May 22, 2019, 10:25 AM

If he runs, he will get his ### handed to him.

May 22, 2019, 10:32 AM

Trump will run. I see him winning. I don't see the Dems with a strong candidate that mobilizes the Dems to get out and vote. Trump's base/cult is still passionate.

His base is too small to re-elect him.

May 22, 2019, 10:42 AM

He's extremely unpopular outside of that 36-38%.

Not sure where you get this idea that Dems won't be mobilized. It's exactly the opposite. They already are highly motivated, while Republican women are demoralized and independents are disgusted by him. It almost doesn't matter who runs against him. The investigations over the next year and a half will further erode his support as the details of his activities are revealed in public testimony. It would not surprise me if he resigns as the depths of his deceptions are revealed to avoid complete humiliation.

A little supporting documentation:

May 22, 2019, 10:50 AM

https://www.axios.com/2020-presidential-election-turnout-predictions-democrats-143cced4-cda7-4665-9fc3-911387416119.html

Re: His base is too small to re-elect him.

May 22, 2019, 10:52 AM [ in reply to His base is too small to re-elect him. ]

Because the Dems didnt mobilize in the last last election. My call...Dems win the popular vote again, by even more, but lose the electoral college again.

Did you not see the turnout from 2018?

May 22, 2019, 10:56 AM

"An estimated 113 million people participated in the 2018 midterm elections, making this the first midterm in history to exceed over 100 million votes, with 49 percent of eligible voters participating in the election. By comparison, the 2014 midterm elections had one of the lowest turnouts in American history, with only 36.4 percent of eligible voters participating. In 2010, the first midterm of President Obama's tenure, 41 percent of voters participated."

Have you been watching too much Fox News? :)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/record-voter-turnout-in-2018-midterm-elections/

Re: Did you not see the turnout from 2018?

May 22, 2019, 11:16 AM

I wasnt talking Midterms. I was talking presidential. Dems didnt show up properly and that's why we have Trump. I think the same thing will happen again.

Hard to ignore the most recent election in your analysis

May 22, 2019, 11:32 AM

as well as the ones before 2016 and the context.

The Democratic candidate had such high negative ratings from years of Congressional investigations. That will be true of the Republican candidate in the next election(assuming Trump is on the ballot). Plus, many people did not fully comprehend the level of dishonesty, incompetence and corruption of the current president and his administration.

They understand that now and many more will come to over the next year and a half.

Re: Hard to ignore the most recent election in your analysis

May 22, 2019, 11:36 AM

Yeah I don't see the midterms as amy indication of what will happen in the presidential. It showed people disliked Congress. Also, I don't know if the investigation hurts Trump or hurts the Dems.

May 22, 2019, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: His base is too small to re-elect him. ]

Your prediction is that Democrats won't come to the polls, but will win the popular vote?

Explain.

May 22, 2019, 11:20 AM

First, it happened last election, so it isn't far fetched to happen again. Secondly, i think in the major coastal areas of the US people hate Trump and will turn out and vote against him. I see the Dems winning the popular vote again, in higher numbers, but not getting the ever so important swing states.

So, in your mind, one cannot like Trump and still...

May 22, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to "I don't like Trump, but I sure do like defending him from ]

stick up for things they think are wrong, regarding a specific subject?

It's sad that people actually think like you seem to think on this subject.

Going after Trump's tax return isn't anyone's Constitutional duty. There is no legislative need for it IMO. If there is, what legislative decision hangs in the balance based on what's in an individual's tax return?

"dislike Trump"***

May 22, 2019, 1:49 PM

Congress has other Constitutionally defined and

May 22, 2019, 2:42 PM [ in reply to So, in your mind, one cannot like Trump and still... ]

implied duties in addition to the legislative function, but there are any number of legislative actions that could be taken after a review of Trump's taxes and financial info. It's also important that the American People have confidence that their president is acting on their behalf and not for his own financial gain.

Of course, that doesn't matter one bit, as the law does not require that the Congress provide a legislative need. This has been addressed. You know that.

There's a reason that every president has done it since the late 60s. They aren't useless sources of information as you suggest. If so, why not just release them? What is he hiding so aggressively?

It's another in a long line of odd hills to die on in support of this presidents behavior and obstruction.

hills to die on? LOL....

May 22, 2019, 4:32 PM

geez dude...I think I've said it before to you, but go get some fresh air every once in a while!

In regards to the topic at hand...from what I've read on this subject, Congressional subpoenas do have to have legislative reasons.

Here is an example of a piece written on this topic:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-congress-subpoena-explainer/explainer-how-hard-hitting-are-u-s-congress-subpoenas-contempt-citations-idUSKCN1SC1YE

"Congress’ power to issue subpoenas, while broad, is not unlimited. The high court has said Congress is not a law enforcement agency, and cannot investigate someone purely to expose wrongdoing or damaging information about them for political gain. A subpoena must potentially further some “legitimate legislative purpose,” the court has said."

Heck, even the federal judge that ruled in favor of Congress this week said as much:

"“So long as Congress investigates on a subject matter on which ‘legislation could be had,’” then Congress is acting within the bounds of the U.S. Constitution, the judge wrote. “President Trump cannot block the subpoena to Mazars.”

You don't seem to be able to separate Trump from any issue. I am giving an opinion on the issue...you are giving an opinion on the President.

so for instance, they could want to know

May 23, 2019, 8:42 AM

Whether or not a president is being bribed, whether those bribes subvert national interest to such an extent that a president should be impeached.

They would also want to know these things so they could write more effective laws than are expressed in the emoluments clause of the constitution.

They would need to investigate bank records to determine how the president was paid, by whom, for what purpose, and whether that purpose subverted national security interests or other established policies written into law by our representatives in Congress.

How can you see a bribe from a tax return?***

May 23, 2019, 8:50 AM

Not a lawyer, but I’d imagine it helps

May 23, 2019, 9:34 AM

narrow down which of the Donald’s 500 LLCs are receiving large sums of money from foreign sources.

Sources of revenue aren't generally shown on a return....

May 23, 2019, 9:52 AM

just the total revenue.

foreign income is

May 23, 2019, 12:19 PM

required on Form 1065 returns which you file if you are an LLC. If you have sources from multiple countries, you have to prepare a statement indicating how much total was received from each one. He has registered over 500 LLCs so it would just help narrow things down.

Then they can more easily piece it together with bank records to figure out what is what. Congressional committees have several full-time forensic accounting professionals on staff that know the discovery process and will be able to figure out who sent him money and when.

It is becoming obvious by the day he doesn't want the public to know how dirty things really are in Trump World. I don't know why he is worried, he's Teflon Don, nothing ever sticks to him.

Don't think so....

May 23, 2019, 2:43 PM

You have to list foreign holdings and foreign investors but not any foreign income broken out from gross revenue.

We know how your predictions go.

May 22, 2019, 5:39 PM [ in reply to "I don't like Trump, but I sure do like defending him from ]

And how your threats, like T-Balms are not followed through.

-Doc Nikoli

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

They're all liars. He's just one of the dumber, pathetic ones.***

May 22, 2019, 11:49 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He lies more in one day than just about any other politician

May 22, 2019, 11:58 AM

does in a lifetime. There is no equivalence.

But, I do agree that he is the dumbest, most pathetic, most grotesque president of my lifetime.

I think he lies the same or less. He's just not well-spoken.***

May 22, 2019, 1:27 PM

His speech patterns, selection of terms and comparisons...

May 22, 2019, 2:24 PM

are mainstream. He is excellent at conveying his message when he has unlimited time. When he's in a hurry his ability to communicate is poor. That's from him being the center of attention throughout his adult life.

If we're comparing him to other POTUSes he's the most honest we've had in a long time. I'm not into whataboutism so I won't post examples.

That's a credibility killing statement right there.***

May 22, 2019, 2:43 PM [ in reply to I think he lies the same or less. He's just not well-spoken.*** ]

It takes your level of apoplectic bias to view that as

May 22, 2019, 4:30 PM

a credibility killing statement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says a guy with conspicuous pathological partisanship.***

May 23, 2019, 1:38 PM [ in reply to That's a credibility killing statement right there.*** ]

+1 but what he lies about seems trivial compared to...

May 22, 2019, 2:19 PM [ in reply to They're all liars. He's just one of the dumber, pathetic ones.*** ]

the promises he's kept on tax reduction, negotiating a new NAFTA deal and trying to calm China down. It's not as if he wasn't on the verge of repealing Obamacare when McCain left him standing in the lurch.

Maybe you would list some of those lies he's told and help me reevaluate my position on this.

Re: +1 but what he lies about seems trivial compared to...

May 23, 2019, 5:24 AM

The real question should be, when does he tell the truth. He lies daily. Most of the lies are meaningless, but he constantly lies.

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/

Re: +1 but what he lies about seems trivial compared to...

May 23, 2019, 10:24 AM [ in reply to +1 but what he lies about seems trivial compared to... ]

He tweeted false statistics on African American crime rates.

He misrepresents and even fabricates statistics concerning illegal immigrants and what they are actually coming here for.

He repeatedly attacked a former Vietnam vet personally and then called for an NFL player to be fired for disrespecting the military.

I could go on and on about all the ways he’s full of ####

ClemsonTiger1988®

He lies about literally everything, so that's bogus.***

May 23, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to +1 but what he lies about seems trivial compared to... ]

Re: They're all liars. He's just one of the dumber, pathetic ones.***

May 23, 2019, 10:21 AM [ in reply to They're all liars. He's just one of the dumber, pathetic ones.*** ]

Maybe but that’s not really fair in the context of this thread to group every president the last 4 decades who has willingly turned over their financial records with Trump.

Financial records are usually lies themselves.

May 23, 2019, 1:39 PM

Trump is a disgusting liar. I agree. But you have to be a constant liar to be a politician. People are too f*cked up to hear the truth and be ok with it.

It's a constitutional crisis!***

May 22, 2019, 4:38 PM

Conflict, not crisis.

May 22, 2019, 4:58 PM

The founding fathers designed a system of balanced powers. It gives the two parties something to do when they can't get along and entertains the public to keep us happy that least everybody in DC didn't take their ball and go home.

May 22, 2019, 5:16 PM

It disgusts me to watch the Democrats try to impeach a President from day one, just because they disagree with him. Many were his pals, wedding guests, award presenters, etc.

This is exactly what he calls it: A political witch hunt.

May 22, 2019, 8:47 PM

Everyone around him is going down but you actually believe he's innocent? That is disgusting.

He's brought everything on himself with his behavior. If he had an ounce of class and didn't insult and attack everyone who disagreed with him he'd probably be viewed just a little bit favorably.

Gimme a friggin break

May 22, 2019, 9:42 PM

Have you seen what the media does with the smallest tidbit of information on Trump? Heck, most of the time they MAKE UP stories. You could have just as easily recorded the word “collusion” and played it back through headphones over and over while you slept. The brainwashing effect is the same. See link for an example of how they fry the human mind. Most have figured out the media’s tactics but it might be too late for you.

https://youtu.be/tQdAO-SqAz4

Re: Gimme a friggin break

May 23, 2019, 7:38 AM

If he was innocent he would cooperate with their investigation and clear his name, but he’s not. To everybody who doesn’t have their head up trumps ### it’s quite obvious that he’s hiding something.

I think there is a good chance he's hiding something...

May 23, 2019, 9:15 AM

but is that "something" illegal?

If you saw someone using your "phrasing" in regards to someone else, I bet it would sit well with you.

Re: I think there is a good chance he's hiding something...

May 23, 2019, 10:06 AM

The more he fights to keep them from being seen, the more likely it is there is something he really doesn’t want to be seen....no?

I mean this has been going on for what 2 years now? He’d rather storm out of meetings and act like a pompous ### than simply do something every president the last 40 years has done.

Come on....

I think you're missing my point....

May 23, 2019, 10:29 AM

just because someone is fighting to have the privacy protected doesn't mean it's right to invade that privacy simply because you think he's hiding something. What if he's hiding that he recorded a loss in a few years and doesn't want that spun for political reasons to the 90% of people who would view that as a business failure. I'm not suggesting he's fighting to have it stay private because there isn't something that he doesn't want to disclose.

There is little to no chance that something illegal is going to be found in a tax return. Not 100%...but pretty slim chances.

Re: I think you're missing my point....

May 23, 2019, 10:59 AM

But it’s not just “someone”, it’s the POTUS....Everyone around him is dropping like flies and he’s refusing to do something EVERY PRESIDENT SINCE NIXON has willingly done that would help clear his name.

Re: I think you're missing my point....

May 25, 2019, 9:58 AM [ in reply to I think you're missing my point.... ]

flow0440 said:

There is little to no chance that something illegal is going to be found in a tax return. Not 100%...but pretty slim chances.

Unless, of course, you compare them to your financial statements and they don't match. You file taxes on $100,000 in income but your bank statements show you received $150,000, that's a problem.

Dang man...again?....

May 25, 2019, 12:45 PM

Businesses don't pay taxes on revenue they pay them on profits. You can't reconcile bank statements to a business tax return directly.

Re: Dang man...again?....

May 25, 2019, 1:20 PM

Business's list gross revenues just like everyone else.

They don't, at least we didn't, just list what we claimed our profits were. Deductions come against gross receipts. And please don't lecture me on you're superior knowledge.

We paid taxes on profit, but we calculated our profits against our gross. That's how we calculated our tax liability.

And if you compare what you claim as gross revenue on your tax form and your bank account shows different numbers that's a problem. How do you think they figure out tax cheats?

Flow you are just bound and determined to try to prove me wrong. Get over it dude, it doesn't matter that much.

Our tax code is corrupt, that was my original point. It is, just accept it.

Take a break and have a Coke my friend. ;)

Replies: 87
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic