Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who's A 5* & Who's Not?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Who's A 5* & Who's Not?

May 17, 2019, 12:31 PM

We have 3 major recruiting services. We may each have a favorite, but they all put a lot of well qualified resources into evaluating recruits. It is my belief that if any one of them has awarded 5 stars to a prospect, then that guy is a legit 5* recruit. Using that as the criteria, this class could have as many as 10 5* recruits. After tonight, we will have 5 consensus 5's. Mayes is already a solid 5* on ESPN (#11 overall). Capehart, Mickens and Tre Williams are all very high 4*s who could all earn a 5th star with a really good Senior HS season. We still lead for Burch. That equals 10, and their are other possible candidates out there that could swing our way by the final signing day. This is heading toward an epic class that would shatter every record in the books.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who's A 5* & Who's Not?

May 17, 2019, 12:56 PM

I only look at ESPN rankings if they say we have a 5 star player. HTH

In all honesty I put a lot more weight on the Rivals and 247 rankings because that's all they do.

ESPN ranks recruits as a side job to help boost their overall college football (and to some extent live high school football) product. That isn't to say that they don't get some right that the others miss sometimes though.

Your best bet is to look at the composite rankings.

May 17, 2019, 1:08 PM

Last time I looked, espn had DJ as #50 and Myles Murphy #2. Still haven't figured that out yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2019, 1:28 PM

IMO a 5* is any player that has talent, develops and meets their potential. It doesn't matter what star they are with the recruiting agencies. Why do you think the early ratings are adjusted and Clemson was #1 twice and #3 once with the last 3 classes that have been re-rated.

All that just tells me ESPN, 247, Rivals and etc., like the rest of us, don't know how it will play out until we see the kids hearts and how they have grown over their career.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2019, 3:00 PM

While what you're saying is true, there is no way to determine that when ranking a recruit while still in high school.

Of course when you go back and look hindsight is going to be 20/20.

That said, this is all projection and predictions based on a recruits physical build, skills, and production at the high school level. As far as stars go, it's a safe bet that you'll be a better team than not with more 4/5 star talent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2019, 6:53 PM

I agree tigerzz. I just believe whether it's a 3*, 4* or 5*, Dabo and company know which ones to pick for playing early or developing. I'll take Dabo's 5* player selections over Kirby's 5* players any day of the week. The Tigers can't get them all but the ones coming to Clemson all seem to all turn out as good young men and have talent. They may not be all-American but they graduate and help the team.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mayes is going to be a good player for us

May 17, 2019, 2:41 PM

But there’s no way he’s the 11th best player in the country right now. He’s a top 50-100 guy without doubt, but #11 is a stretch. Also don’t see Williams climbing a whole lot higher than he is. Capehart could easily pick up a 5th star as he continues to get faster after bulking up. Mickens I think is properly rated as well. If Williams gains a little weight this summer I could see him maybe sneaking up there.

Regardless of where all the rankings shake out, this is an unbelievable class.

May 17, 2019, 2:52 PM

Whoa !!!!! Most of these comments fly in the face of what we have always believed, "when they commit to Clemson, their star rankings go down". Do we now have a reversal of what we have believed for decades?
Do the self-proclaimed experts now recognize Dabo and staff'e ability to recognize talent at a higher level than their own and develop it to their full potential. The ladies down at the pool hall want answers.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pool hall ladies... No you didn't... ;~)***

May 18, 2019, 7:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic