Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This stings much worse than Zion! ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,732

This stings much worse than Zion! ...

Sep 19, 2018, 11:02 AM

Nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes turned the Tigers into a quality team with

Sep 19, 2018, 11:20 AM

Much lesser players than other teams in the league had and with poorer basketball tradition and facilities. He was a big time winner at Texas with big time players. Why they got rid of him is beyond me. He will do great at UT. It hurts for me to say that because I still hold a major grudge against the Vols for causing the probationary years we went through in the early eighties. For that reason, I’ll never be a fan of this kid. I know you all think Usuck is bad but UT in a thousand times worse. Go Tigers. Go BB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points, ForestTiger.....

Sep 19, 2018, 11:53 AM

I've been carrying a "grudge" (nothing life altering) against Tennessee since they cheated the Tigers so badly in a football game in Knoxville. After Clemson lodged an official protest with the NCAA post-game, the NCAA admitted that Tennessee had cheated and that the winning touchdown was scored on an illegal play, but declined to do ANYTHING to the Vols.

I've disliked Stanley Morgan (who was from Easley and reportedly went to Tenn because he couldn't get in to Clemson--this was around the time the ACC had the 800 rule) and their entire athletic department since then...he!!, Finebaum is an alumnus and he rarely supports the Vols throwing much of his backing to Alabama.......this episode sorta reminds me of when Cam Newton made that shocking call to the MissSt football coach and advised him he'd be committing to Auburn "because the money was just too good".

I've never thought Rick Barnes ran a dishonest program (though I, too, had issues with his integrity) but when ya lie down with a bunch of mangy dogs in Knoxville, you're bound to get fleas.

Anyone know who UT's main basketball recruiter is??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good points, ForestTiger.....

Sep 19, 2018, 12:38 PM

Many of our friends on Tigernet were born after the mid sixties so they were not a part of all the events that led up the probation years and the dismissal of Coach Ford by Lennon and McClellan. Had they been a part ofClemson athletics at that time they likely would have a different attitude of things today. That was a few years of misery that we fans had to go through and remain loyal to Clemson. But it was worth it because we all learned from those mistakes. To me, as a fan for fifty eight years of the Tigers I can truthfully say that that was a miserable time. Thank heavens there was no internet in those days! Tennessee was at the very forefront of all these issues with the ncaa and escaped unharmed. Our friends in Orange County North Carolina added fuel to this fire and we all know about their own issues that were passed over by the powers that be. As I stated earlier, I still hold a grudge against these two programs in particular and hope they never have succcess in anything.

With the exception of hiring Bobby Robinson, Clemson has made some dramatic moves since the probation years and we now rest near the top of college sports. Athletically, academically socially and morally. The view from the top is nice. Enjoy it. Losing this basketball recruit likely will not be the end of Clemson basketball ..... and, hopefully not the future of UT basketball. Support Clemson University. You’ll never regret it again!

Whoa, ForestTiger.....

Sep 19, 2018, 3:23 PM

Bill McClellen was long gone by the time Ford was let go. It was that nasty fingers Bobby Robinson who hated everything football at Clemson because it overshadowed his golf program. McClellen was a holdover from the Howard ears and loved everything Clemson.

Re: Whoa, ForestTiger.....

Sep 19, 2018, 7:18 PM

You are exactly right. I originally had Robinson in my post but remember he didn’t become AD until 85 I think so I remember McClellan was a big part of the investigation. That was my error. Clemson made a lot of staff changes during this time and I confused myself! Atchley came on board as president about that time also to replace Lennon. Ive made it clear in past post that Robinson was FAR from being my favorite and he was involved on Fords departure.

I hope GT doesn’t take it out on us Saturday for sending Robinson down there,

Bill Atchley was President from 1979 to 85 before Max Lennon

Sep 19, 2018, 7:28 PM

Walter Cox from 1985 to 1986 when Atchley resigned.

Lennon from 1986 to 1994.

Re: Bill Atchley was President from 1979 to 85 before Max Lennon

Sep 19, 2018, 8:09 PM

I should have remembered that more clearly. Somewhere in my vast array of Clemson “things” I have a picture I took of Atchley throwing out the first pitch as baseball season began. I believe he was a college pitcher. Perhaps someone with a better, and younger memory can remember. I was in jr. college with Lennon back in 59 and 60 and knew him for many years. I never like the way the Ford thing was handled and I have lots of company in that.
Go Tigers

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,732
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic