Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who or what first got you interested in college football?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Who or what first got you interested in college football?

Nov 1, 2018, 7:51 PM

For me, it was Lindsay Nelson (PBP) and Red Grange (color) doing the Game of the Week on NBC. I was glued to our 12" black and white Magnavox table model TV every Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, we had a pro game but college was always better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who or what first got you interested in college football?

Nov 1, 2018, 7:52 PM

My pops taking me to Tiger games in the 80's...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 10:29 PM

Going to the early 80’s. My young children were hood for like which had passed down to our grandchildren. Tigers for life win or losevita the winning sertsinly helped. A great cohesive team that is not selfship

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Nov 1, 2018, 8:12 PM

As a 5 year old I would stop my playing to ask my Grandpa . who was listening to a console radio on the back porch, is Clemson winning. I remember they would play Villanova, Fordham and Gamecocks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 8:28 PM

Got interested in CU football in '78 & '79 when I was a academic tutor for the Athelic Department. I got to see how well the department took care of the student-athletes. Very impressive. I've been a fan ever since.

Nov 1, 2018, 9:14 PM

Oh, would love to hear some stories from you, betting you had some interesting moments

Nov 1, 2018, 8:31 PM

Grandparents started taking me to games when I was 7. Could count on both hands the number of home games I missed from 7 until I graduated Clemson.

My dad

Nov 1, 2018, 8:32 PM

he is a Gator Fan, I grew up in Gainesville and went to a few games as a young Tbalm1. I had his permission to attend Clemson from a football school perspective. First place we went was death valley on my orientation visit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 8:35 PM

Back in the 70's when I was just a little guy, I watched and listened to my neighbor go crazy while listening to some strange new sport I knew nothing about on the blaring radio in his garage on saturday afternoons. He was a cool guy, so I asked him what the deal was. He introduced me to Jim Phillips and Clemson football, and I've been hooked ever since. I think he ended up taking me to my first game where I slid down the hill on some cardboard. =o)

Nov 1, 2018, 8:45 PM

Living on farm in central Ohio, listening to Tom Matte running the Ohio State offense in 1960.

I was born in Mobile, Al

Nov 1, 2018, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Who or what first got you interested in college football? ]

All my family was (mostly) Bama, with a few Auburn mixed in. I was hooked on crimson early on...big Namath fan (Senior Bowl was my first college game) and Tucker Frederickson (Auburn).

Moved to Charleston at 11...went to Clemson vs Bama in '67...I'd never even heard of Clemson at the time. Six years later, enrolled at Clemson...been a Tiger ever since. No regrets!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCLA cheerleaders...

Nov 1, 2018, 8:45 PM

... I grew up in SoCal

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where? I grew up in the LA area. My first game was USC vs

Nov 1, 2018, 8:48 PM

UCLA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We chatted 10 years ago about that.

Nov 1, 2018, 10:14 PM

In elementary School our house was probably a couple hundred yards from where your dad lives in S. B.

First two years of HS at Dos Pueblos.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad. He was the coach at DR Hill. He said I started

Nov 1, 2018, 8:47 PM

begging him to play on a team when I was 4 years old. Made me wait until I was 10.

Re: My dad. He was the coach at DR Hill. He said I started

Nov 1, 2018, 9:03 PM

My Dad was from Montgomery Alabama and I remember him listening on the radio and later on TV. I was interested as watched him get excited. Later when I was in High school I met Steve Fuller while trying out for the baseball team and started pulling for him and Clemson his first year at Clemson and never looked back. GO TIGERS!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 9:01 PM

grew up in Connecticut.first game was yale vs.brown.probably 8-10 yrs. old.however I still have to give a little credit to the 1958 nfl championship game.baltimore colts(emphasis on Baltimore.my mom was from there.) and the giants.became a diehard colts fan until they left for Indiana.have completely lost interest in pro ball.follow only former CU players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 1, 2018, 9:06 PM

For me it was the Checkered Endzone for Tennessee. I put on NBC when I was like 5/6 years old and remember seeing that and was like wow that’s awesome. Started watching whenever i could. It wasn’t super popular on Long Island in the late 80’s. Actually still isn’t because no good teams. They are missing out.

Nov 1, 2018, 9:11 PM

Attending Clemson games since the early 70s.

OH, Nellie, it was probably Keith Jackson. All time great.

Nov 1, 2018, 9:41 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 9:44 PM

Can’t say for sure but I remember getting my first Clemson memorabilia for Clemson in 77.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 9:54 PM

My father played at Clemson for Frank Howard 47-51. Orange Bowl & Gator Bowl. Lived on 3rd floor of Fike Field House first 2 years of my life. #born to it. CU grad BS 1972, MS 1975.

Clemson is dear to me and all my family

Nov 1, 2018, 10:09 PM

For me, my grandma had season tickets to Carolina games. She took me as a little feller, and seeing as they didn't win many games, none of my other cousins wanted to go that much. I learned everything about how not to win from watching the Brad Scott and Lou Holtz years. Everyone saw the guy reading the book at the FSU Game last week? Well, there was a lot of that going on at the Gamecock games, with Zero Bars littering the stands. No hyperbole needed.

Later on in high school, going to Boys State on the Gamecock Campus killed any sliver of hope that my grandmother had for me to attend the University of South Carolina. Going to FFA Convention in Clemson showed me that it would be a good place for me. Grass vs. Concrete. Beautiful vs. Dingy. The rest is history.

B.S. Ag Mech 2011
M.S. Plant and Environmental Sciences 2014

Nov 1, 2018, 10:39 PM

Going to High school football games.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic