Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is going to watch the XFL? How many iterations of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,902

Who is going to watch the XFL? How many iterations of

Apr 2, 2019, 3:23 PM

... these crappy, half-baked pro football leagues are going to be thrown up against the wall to see if they’ll stick?

Reminds me of the time when Skip Wise bolted after his freshman year to become the “face” of the new Baltimore Claws pro basketball franchise.

Fool’s Gold ... I despise this junk!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't worry

Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 PM

It will never get off the ground. The AAF suspending all football operations is proof enough of that. Week 1 of the AAF was great, but they're already folding. How would the XFL be any different? I assure you that a lot of XFL investors are probably backing out after the AAF news.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably true

Apr 2, 2019, 3:56 PM

The only real chance that the XFL has is to not play nice with the NFL and college. The AAF was trying to be extremely non-invasive to the current football powerhouses (NFL/NCAA) as they saw that as their best chance at longevity. However, in so doing they greatly diminished their talent pool from which to grab players.

If (and I don't think this will happen, but I see it as their only real chance) the XFL were to focus on developing their talent pool by competing with colleges and grabbing folks from the practice squads of NFL they might have a chance.

But, seeing as Vince is running it, it probably won't matter because I'm guessing it will be entirely too goofy or include strange rules that will make the sport feel alien or off.

And they'll have to do better than the AAF did at making it easy to find/watch a game. A few times over the past few weeks I'd think about catching an hour or two of football and it took WAY too much effort to find it on any streaming services (or OTA antenna).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't worry

Apr 3, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Don't worry ]

" I assure you that a lot of XFL investors are probably backing out after the AAF news. "

Vince McMahon announced yesterday that he sold 100 million $$$ of WWE stock to buy into the XFL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't worry

Apr 3, 2019, 12:16 PM

He started the XFL....so I wouldnt count him as a new investor

You can partly blame the NFL.

Apr 2, 2019, 3:32 PM

Now football is used as a platform for political and social agendas. Most people who watch the NFL want it to be about football, and an escape of sorts. The NFL has alienated a portion of his viewership as a result.

I agree with you that these other leagues like the XFL and AAF are unlikely to succeed, but I do understand why entrepreneurs with big pockets see a potential opportunity. A lot of things would have to go right for them to be successful and have staying power.

The next issue the NFL, and colleges to a degree, will have to address is the sharply declining levels of youth football participation. As awareness of the risk of significant injury from football continues to grow, fewer kids are playing football. At some point, this has to start affecting football at higher levels.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The NFL and NFLPA wouldn't agree to let 3rd string

Apr 2, 2019, 3:51 PM

NFL QBs play in the AAF to get more reps and develop. Without that, funding was pulled and poof goes the AAF. Had that agreement been made, I think the AAF would've survived...at least for a couple years to see if they could generate fan interest and attract advertisers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Not sure that's true

Apr 2, 2019, 3:59 PM [ in reply to You can partly blame the NFL. ]

I mean, I'm sure some folks are tired of the social/human interest side to the NFL, but had the product been good and easy to find/watch (with a deeper talent pool) it would've been a good off-season addition to sports on TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The percentage of the population

Apr 2, 2019, 5:51 PM [ in reply to You can partly blame the NFL. ]

is dropping but the total number participating in youth football is actually up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is going to watch the XFL? How many iterations of

Apr 2, 2019, 4:32 PM

Does it involve Clemson Football? If not, I will not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 12:03 PM

... these crappy, half-baked pro football leagues are going to be thrown up against the wall to see if they’ll stick?

Reminds me of the time when Skip Wise bolted after his freshman year to become the “face” of the new Baltimore Claws pro basketball franchise.

Who want to watch the NFL where rules are like flag football

Apr 3, 2019, 12:26 PM

XFL will fold. No other new pro league will ever make it.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,902
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic