Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When metrics go too far ( 44 - 16 )
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,766

When metrics go too far ( 44 - 16 )

Jun 5, 2019, 9:19 PM

I don't even know what to say about this guy... Walt ripped him and it was awesome.

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2019/06/05/when-reliance-on-metrics-go-too-far-clemson-44-alabama-16/

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Favorite quote from that article...

Jun 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

..."Even I’ll admit Clemson wouldn’t beat Alabama by 28 every time they played, because in some of those games it would have been more than 28. Clemson backed off with subs in the 4th quarter and went to primarily running the ball. It could have (been) far worse."

lol

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

GO find the video "California Dreaming" and go straight to

Jun 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

the black and white portion.The producer of the video put together a string of excuses made buy numberous BAMA and USofEC fans....One of them created about 40 points for Bama which actually gave them a win....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GO find the video "California Dreaming" and go straight to

Jun 6, 2019, 12:41 AM

That's the best part of the video , really .
I guess it'sa little window into the world today . If you don't like the reality of an outcome , reverse logic and move some data around until the butthurt goes away .

#NoMoreTearsLike...Ever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Here you go

Jun 6, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to GO find the video "California Dreaming" and go straight to ]

https://youtu.be/5guEqIfLoGI?t=2366

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

solid article.. pretty much sums up Bill Conelly is insane***

Jun 6, 2019, 1:17 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When metrics go too far ( 44 - 16 )

Jun 6, 2019, 4:29 AM

Does metrics in this case mean numbers he pulled out of his a$$?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 5:47 AM

I'm so glad this intelligent reporter (who no one had heard of before this comment) pointed out that Bama had a much better "Succ" rate.

*In my best Herm Edwards voice* - "You play to win the game."

Jun 6, 2019, 6:24 AM

The only metric that matters is the final score.

Jun 6, 2019, 7:56 AM

Forgive me but my limited "Clemson" engineering coursework tells me that if the prediction model says one thing and the results say another, you go go back and change the model to address shortcomings.

Changing the outcome (mentally) to satisfy the errors in the model sounds like a coot engineering. No wonder the coots are so optimistic.

Jun 6, 2019, 8:03 AM

You're going to be a very good addition to someone's team. Your logic and methods are sound.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: When metrics go too far ( 44 - 16 ) ]

Well said. I would also argue that modeling at the extremes of the data set has a statistically lower chance of being accurate. The model will be improved by the additional data from Clemson vs Bama IV. Still over the last 5 years we have only seen 8-10 teams at that level. That means 2 data points per season. Some say 17 data points for statistical significance, others say 30. Combined with the time frame can you ever expect it to be a good predictor for top teams?

null

Not sure about that. Flipping a coin heads 10 times in a row

Jun 6, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: When metrics go too far ( 44 - 16 ) ]

probably doesn't warrant changing the odds of a coin flip from 50/50.

One football game is a tiny sample size and nowhere near enough to justify making changes to something like S&P+.

You must always account for variance.

Data was Skewed!

Jun 6, 2019, 12:48 PM

The metrics used were skewed for both teams!

CU played a ton of players in almost all games! Alabama didn't play Tua Turn - the - Ball - over most of the 4th quarters they played. They smoked the SEC like a red headed step child.

Over hyped conference and "BAM"!

Your data suggest something that "ISN'T REAL"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 9:05 AM

What a tool. This guy leaves out on extremely significant point - that most of Bama’s “success” occurred BETWEEN the 20 yard lines. They couldn’t do crap INSIDE the 20’s. CBV to be credited with a brilliant (IMO) defensive game plan to neutralize the Tide’s passing attack

Jun 6, 2019, 10:27 AM

The game was over when Clemson went up 14-7. Alabama didn't know how to face adversity. Someone was actually fighting back. The scored soon after, but when that PAT hit the upright, the air went out of them. They played desperate and panicky after that.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,766
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic