Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What was the best class ever...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,299

What was the best class ever...

Apr 9, 2019, 9:06 PM

...to sign with a college football team? Has any ONE college ever signed 3 of the top 5 players in the same class? 4 out of 5? Certainly, no one has ever landed 5 out of 5...

This could be mind blowing....

Too tired to Google it. I'm sure a Resident Expert already knows it anyway.

What say you, Expert?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Best class ever" is too subjective

Apr 9, 2019, 9:15 PM

No, nobody has ever signed 3+ of the top 5 players, although we were close with TL, XT, and KJ in 2018.

It's too difficult to compare classes because points are somewhat arbitrary. Some years, a 5* RB is ranked lower because it is a deep class. Etc. 2017 Bama and 2018 UGA have arguments, but who knows if those prospects were worth their rankings? Maybe 2015 Bama and Clemson were the best ever, since they won the most?

Just objectively and looking at the quality of players... if we signed everybody that I think we will get plus maybe a surprise or two, we would have indisputably the best class ever on paper.

Snowflake Basher........Out

“Best Class” on signing day is pretty irrelevant ...

Apr 9, 2019, 9:38 PM

... you need to look at how they performed during their career after four years ( or maybe only three today) ...

And since teams are made up of many players from several different signing classes, even waiting 3-4 years to make a judgement is hard to do.

For example ... did Clemson win it all in dominant fashion last year because they signed so many great players 4 years ago, or did they win because they signed a transcendent QB and WR one year earlier or a dominant RB two years ago to compliment all those great players?

Rather than judging the class based on overall star rating when they sign, or whether or not the team was great in year four, I suppose you just have to look at each individual player and see how much they contributed to winning while they were there and if a particular class is loaded with such players (even if they began as a 2-star Hunter Renfro) then you can perhaps make a reasonably accurate assessment.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, but this steam roller has just gotten started. It's

Apr 9, 2019, 9:46 PM

over for most and it's tedious for the rest. Just so Dabo doesn't allow complacency, which I highly doubt, it's going to be a separation and absolute domination by Clemson in the near future and onward. Nicki knows and the rest will soon understand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame's 1946 class won 3 national titles and never lost a game

Apr 9, 2019, 9:43 PM

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/notre-dame-frank-leahy-1946-football-recruiting-class-signing-day-impact/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah I would look to the 44-45-46 Army teams

Apr 9, 2019, 9:53 PM

I mean, with a pool of 7 million recruits, how can you go wrong?

Re: Notre Dame's 1946 class won 3 national titles and never lost a game

Apr 9, 2019, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Notre Dame's 1946 class won 3 national titles and never lost a game ]

an All-American halfback named Shorty McWilliams transferred from West Point after the 1945 season because Mississippi State boosters reportedly offered him $15,000 in cash, a $300-a-month job, use of a car, and a job after graduation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What was the best class ever...

Apr 9, 2019, 9:53 PM

The best class was 77 78 seniors. Or 81.

From an article on the 45 Army team

Apr 9, 2019, 10:10 PM

Statistically, 44 was better, but 45's competition was much harder. Also, Blanchard was a local boy, born in McColl,SC, over in the Pee Dee

"What made this team so ridiculous, however, was depth.
Because of loose wartime transfer rules — the service academies were basically able to recruit all-star teams — and because Blaik was relentless in milking every advantage, this team featured plenty of stars from other schools.

Halfback Shorty McWilliams was an All-American for Mississippi State in 1944 and returned to Starkville in 1946; in 1945, he was a backup good enough to finish eighth in the Heisman voting. Fullback Bobby Dobbs helped Tulsa to the Sun Bowl in 1942 and backed up Blanchard in 1945. Guard Joe Steffy played for Tennessee in 1944, when the Volunteers when unbeaten in the regular season again.

End Barney Poole played for Ole Miss and would return to Oxford to lead the Rebels to the 1947 SEC title. End Hank Foldberg played for Texas A&M, halfback Dean Sensanbaugher played for Ohio State, fullback Bob Summerhays would thrive at Utah, etc.

Plus, the show was run by quarterback Arnold Tucker, a steady enough hand to finish fifth himself in the Heisman voting (third on his own team) in 1946.

The skill positions were stocked three-deep with star power, and the line was extraordinary. It featured All-American captain John Green and future first-round pick DeWitt “Tex” Coulter, plus Herschel “Ug” Fuson, an athlete versatile enough to play both halfback and center and star at lacrosse.

Coulter would later say that this team had better depth than the 1946 NFL East champion New York Giants team he would join."

Full Article
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/9/13843204/1945-army-football-season-world-war-2

I like it when local boys do well...

Apr 9, 2019, 10:15 PM

During his three years of playing football at West Point, his team [Doc Blanchard] under coach Earl "Red" Blaik compiled an undefeated 27–0–1 record – the tie being a famous 0–0 game[4] against Notre Dame.[3]

Notre Dame coach Edward McKeever was amazed by Blanchard. After his 1944 team lost to Army by a score of 59–0, McKeever said, "I've just seen Superman in the flesh. He wears number 35 and goes by the name of Blanchard."

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,299
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic