Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It is time for a fax campaign of the most SERIOUS and POLITE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

It is time for a fax campaign of the most SERIOUS and POLITE

May 10, 2013, 7:57 AM

sort.

It could be that our new Senator, Tim Scott, is in perfect position to lean on and reason with the folks at the ACC office over the issue of Championships in South Carolina.

If you are not familiar with the ACC's championship ban on South Carolina then here is material to catch you up.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20090919/ARCHIVES/309199942?print

A phone call, letter and fax politely expressing your feelings about the ban and about the national and state NAACP chapters could possibly move him into action.

Here is his website and information. I would suggest concentrating correspondence to either the Washington or Charleston office.

http://www.scott.senate.gov/

Washington Office
167 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-6121
Fax: (202) 228-5143
Office Hours: 8:30am - 5:30pm (M-F)

North Charleston Office
2500 City Hall Lane
3rd Floor Suite
North Charleston, SC 29406
Phone: (843) 727-4525
Fax: (843) 554-9320
Office Hours: 8:30am - 5:30pm (M-F)

Count me in: I will call, write or fax Sen. Tim Scott because the ban hurts all of SC    [Results]

YES
NO
badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

What bothers me the MOST is...

May 10, 2013, 8:12 AM

They want to boycott athletic events but when it comes to Memorial day bike rally where I live. They support them coming to our beach and trashing it. If they are going to ban all events then DON'T promote black bike week? Just saying!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Myrtle Beach gets trashed from May to September….

May 11, 2013, 12:01 PM

no matter who comes there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dear Senator Scott,

May 10, 2013, 8:29 AM

I am writing to you today to express my disappointment that the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) based in Greensboro North Carolina continues to prohibit post season athletic events in the Great State of South Carolina.

Athletic venues across our great state deserve the right to bid competitively for the right to host post season ACC athletic events.

I urge you to get involved with the ACC offices in Greensboro, NC to eliminate the ACC's ban on South Carolina

Thank you for your time.

While I understand the NAACP's reasoning for the boycott,

May 10, 2013, 8:43 AM

the fact is that there is no movement nor desire within the General Assembly to readdress the issue. That begs the question: Will the NAACP continue the boycott ad infinitum, the results of which may prove detrimental to our state and our athletes?

In the spirit of fairness I believe the organization could easily issue a statement wherein they indicate their reasons for the boycott, their preference for removal of the flag into a more historical venue, then state that they desire no ill will toward the state nor its athletes and are ready to lift the measure in the spirit of good will.

There have been countless debates about the issue since the controversy arose; no doubt there will be more. However, to me a boycott is a boycott, meaning either you have full participation or you have none. The fact that the NCAA singled out our state amounts to a selective boycott, considering other states' histories of remembrances of the past. My question to the NCAA: Would you have singled out Alabama? Or Georgia? Or Mississippi? Or for that matter, any other former member of the CSA?

Throughout all my personal and business contacts, considering my location in Columbia, I have yet to hear a single African-American indicate that they care about the issue with the most common comments being, "We're too busy with other matters to worry about that," or "It's a non-issue with us; most whites and blacks have moved on beyond that." Obviously, there remain those supportive of the NAACP; however, I simply don't believe the majority of our residents do.

It's time for our state to move on, including the NAACP, and our Governor should take the lead in bringing the matter to a close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since they didn't accept yes as an answer, put the flag back over the State

May 10, 2013, 8:48 AM

House.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

The crazy thing is that there has been virtually no

May 10, 2013, 8:53 AM [ in reply to While I understand the NAACP's reasoning for the boycott, ]

conversation about this since the 2000 compromise that created and civil rights monument and placed the flag at the confederate monument.

the SC Chapter of the NAACP and the general assembly was very satisfied with the compromise when it happened. it was celebrate by people on both sides of the issue.

the SC chapter is also against the national boycott because it hurts Black and white americans, but the National Chapter will not budge on the issue.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

The Black Coaches association is also involved..

May 10, 2013, 8:56 AM

A shame but our little state has no juice and our politicians have no guts on this issue. And frankly they don't see a lot of votes here.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Just saw your post.***

May 10, 2013, 9:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet if you polled people all across the country

May 10, 2013, 8:55 AM [ in reply to While I understand the NAACP's reasoning for the boycott, ]

including staunch NAACP supporters, that a lot of them probably would not even know that there is a boycott. Boycotts are supposed to draw attention to and put pressure on a situation. Seems to me that the only people who talk about this issue at this point are us sports fans who just want to be able to see a post season NCAA even here in SC. The rest of the country is oblivious. Seems like the most ineffective boycott ever to me. SC and the NAACP are like a couple having a fight that has lasted a while and both sides are unsure what they are really fighting about anymore but by goodness they are RIGHT and gonna prove it to the other side!

I hate getting involved in Political debates but the NAACP

May 10, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to While I understand the NAACP's reasoning for the boycott, ]

has no intention of lifting the boycott. We removed the flag and moved it to a less visual position to satisfy their demands and lift the ban. The NAACP just doubled down on their boycott, this tells that they want the issue and do not want a resolution to flag debate. They use this debate to raise money nationally from their peers. The truly sad thing is the flag is NOT a symbol of slavery as the NAACP suggest. I encourage everyone to inform your self about the origins and history of the flag. I was like every one else, even though I raised in a proud southern traditional family, take it down. I was challenged to research my position by someone whom I greatly respected and I was really surprised at what I found. I know the information I found was sent and read by the NAACP national chapter by the South Carolina chapter and was scoffed at and said that the FACTS were unfounded. I knew after that response from the national chapter that they just wanted the ISSUE and did not care about the truth. One last thing I know that Sen. Scott feels the same way and has spoken out against the NAACP about the boycott and sited the same historical facts that I read. I do believe Sen. Scott is on the same page and would probably take action if enough people encouraged him to reopen this debate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate getting involved in Political debates but the NAACP

May 10, 2013, 10:20 AM

AND to clarify. I don't think the NAACP will move on the issue. My anger is directed toward the ACC for partnering in this stupid debate.

Also the State NAACP and National are on 2 different sides of the boycott.

It's more likely that their membership and many others have

May 10, 2013, 10:54 AM [ in reply to I hate getting involved in Political debates but the NAACP ]

expressed their disappointment and frustration with the "compromise" on where to place the flag and forced their hands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This issue stopped being about a flag and its location....

May 10, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to I hate getting involved in Political debates but the NAACP ]

a long time ago.

Now it has become more a matter of one side being ####-bent and determined to make sure the opposition does not get its way.

That said, I don't think you can fairly make such a broad characterization that the flag is NOT a symbol of slavery or racism.

That flag represents different things to different groups of people but one thing is for sure, thanks to the Ku Klux Klan and other racist hate groups
the symbolism that flag evokes from a national (and world perception for that matter) is not one of pride in Southern heritage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It is a symbol of racism….

May 11, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to I hate getting involved in Political debates but the NAACP ]

It was used by the Confederacy who started the Civil War to keep slavery legal. Afterwards, it was used by the KKK and other white supremacist groups. The Confederate Battle Flag didn't fly on the state house grounds until 1962. And the reason for the was the civil rights movement was starting to win. It was put up as a reminder to black people to know your place.

The ACC is backing the Black Coaches Association's

May 10, 2013, 9:12 AM

position on this. How many of our coaches belong to the BCA? How many in the ACC? A ton.

I disagree with their position but understand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My problem with it is simple

May 10, 2013, 9:40 AM

The NCAA should NOT be the enforcement arm of ANY political position. I'm on record arguing that no flag of a non sitting government should fly over the statehouse. I think that makes perfect sense. I also can understand why the flag causes tha hard feelings it does. I think I understand all sides of the 'debate.' But the NCAA should not be entering into the fray. It should not be their policy to be the enforcement arm of one side or the other. It is a highlyidplaved priority in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The flag does not fly over the state house anymore

May 10, 2013, 9:56 AM

it was taken down on placed at another location as part of the compromise. the Civil rights monument was also placed on the state house grounds as part of the compromise.

The boycott did not start until AFTER the flag was removed.

The compromise was celebrated by the state NAACP and South Carolina citizens of all races as a gesture of good will and good faith to move forward.

then the National NCAA swoops in and > Destroys[ < hinders the progress our state had just made in race relations.

It's business as usual to reach a compromise on a bill

May 10, 2013, 11:40 AM

but then restart your efforts to get a better bill through. Once bills/laws are passed, they aren't for life.

The flag needs to be in a museum only under glass so it gets the respect it deserves and not flying anywhere near the state house waving under the noses of former slaves.

I do think the NCAA should stay out of it though.

Re: It's business as usual to reach a compromise on a bill

May 10, 2013, 11:45 AM

Where are those former slaves? Most have been dead for over 100 years. Those alive today have never been slaves, nor their parents. The slaves were set free around 150 years ago. By the way, many of those slaves fought for that flag that represented states rights. It was not just about slavery, though that is the excuse the north used to justify the war.

Should have said children of slaves. There would have been

May 10, 2013, 11:52 AM

no war without slavery nor any secession.

and everyone is allowed to have an opinion

May 10, 2013, 1:17 PM [ in reply to It's business as usual to reach a compromise on a bill ]

on where the flag is located. some people think it should be flown on Captital some think it should be outlawed. but regardless of your opinion you have to admit it was beautiful thing to see real human beings come together and find a way to give a little bit in order to try and move forward.

And then both the the black and white citizens of our state get rewarded with and economic boycott from the ACC for their all their effort as if we are Iran or something.

Re: The ACC is backing the Black Coaches Association's

May 10, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to The ACC is backing the Black Coaches Association's ]

Imagine the outrage if someone suggested a White Coaches Association. Now that would be racist. But a Black Coaches Association is not, as everyone knows that only white men could possibly be racist.

White coaches don't need an association. Almost all

May 10, 2013, 11:43 AM

head coaches are white while almost all the players are black.

Racism is still evident and that's why you don't see many black head coaches.

Re: White coaches don't need an association. Almost all

May 10, 2013, 11:49 AM

Do you mean that because most players are black, that racism is evident? Being a good player does not make you a coach. Maybe some could be, but race has nothing to do with it.

LOL!***

May 10, 2013, 11:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think many Southern schools are ready for a black coach

May 10, 2013, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: White coaches don't need an association. Almost all ]

but it could hurt fund raising at Bama, UT, UGA, LSU, a few other places maybe.

We lost the war, take the flag down.

May 10, 2013, 10:06 AM

Thats how I feel. Nobody else who has ever lost a war still fly's their flag.

You can say heritage all you want, which is fine, fly the flag from your house. But not from government property.

I live in NC and I fly an American Flag, Clemson Flag, and a Palmetto flag.

That being said, to give-in to the demands of the NAACP is ridiculous.

Which is a really great argument

May 10, 2013, 10:23 AM

and that is exactly what happened. the Flag is not flown anymore over the state house it is now only part of a monument about the states confederate history. A civil rights monument was also erected as part of this process. That is way it is so absurd for the ACC of all things to recognize this boycott.

You are drastically overestimating the satisfaction with the

May 10, 2013, 11:00 AM

"compromise."

Re: You are drastically overestimating the satisfaction with the

May 10, 2013, 1:21 PM

I'm not saying the SC NAACP are all Happy Happy joy over the flag, or that those wanting the flag to remain where ecstatic about it being removed. I'm saying they were satisfied that they were able to come to a reasonable conclusion.

I'm also saying that the SC NAACP are not the ones who called for boycott of their own businesses. It was the National who did that. And the ACC caved to this

If you look at this thread and think about it

May 10, 2013, 10:58 AM

the fax campaign should really be to the NCAA and ACC for backing a boycott/political position that they really have no place being involved with.

Re: If you look at this thread and think about it

May 10, 2013, 12:28 PM

This hurts the State of South Carolina and both Clemson and the University of South Carolina. This puts both Universities at a disadvantage when it comes to not being able to play a tournament at home. These two Universities have nothing to do with this issue and the NCAA who's only concern are theses Universities should not be involved in this issue and needs to be inundated by students and alumni from both schools. This post should be pinned up top.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me the confederate flag is like a swastika

May 10, 2013, 11:35 PM

Some people see it as a good thing while others don't. Before you flame me go look up the origins of a swastika.

Spoiler alert: Swastika translated to English means "to be good".

Seriously this state has a whole lot more problems…..

May 11, 2013, 12:01 PM

than getting any ACC championships anyway. Even if the ACC didn't go by the ban, it would be once in a blue moon that the state of SC would get an ACC championship in any sport.

SC is the 7th poorest state in the country, number one in domestic violence, top 5 in most violent states in the country, top 5 in most dangerous highways, at the bottom in education, meth use is on the rise, high STD rates, and the list goes on. Tim Scott should worry about that stuff first, rather than getting a once in the blue moon ACC championship.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic