Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What does Clemson BB need?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

What does Clemson BB need?

Jan 26, 2019, 5:48 PM

Brownell reminds me of the Bowden dilemma. I can say, just based on observation from afar, that they are both good people. BUT, Bowden is exhibit A on why being a good person is not good enough when it comes to winning. I know it’s apples and oranges to compare them since ACC Basketball is way better than ACC football as a whole. I suppose we can be happy with where we are; right in the thick of mediocre, while breaking through to the above average crowd once every 10 years or so.

For those who want more, what do you think it would take coach wise (not factoring in the lackluster fan support)? In my opinion Brownell is a better coach while Bowden was a better recruiter. Neither coach has the ability to get over the hump since neither are/were great at what they did best. It’s extremely difficult to find a coach who can do both very well, like Dabo.

If you had to pick one, great coach vs great recruiter, which do you think Clemson needs most? I think at Clemson you need a GREAT coach who can also develop players. I just don’t know if a great recruiter is enough in college BB due to the one and done issues. I was curious what everyone else thought.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What does Clemson BB need?

Jan 26, 2019, 5:52 PM

WE really need some life or some sort of spark. I like Brownell a lot and I think he is a good coach, but something is just missing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2019, 6:06 PM

I respectfully disagree. It's what's present that is hurting the Tiger Bball team, namely UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, NC Snake, FSPU, Virginia, etc. Just can't compete. Just like Duke, Virginia, UNC, Tech, Louisville, etc, can't compete against our football team

Dumbest arguement

Jan 26, 2019, 6:11 PM

People looking for a change doesn't mean they expect a top 5 team. But one that competes for a bit every year. Competes. Makes it half the time. That would be a top 40 team. I think heade it twice and one was his first yr piggybacking off of OP players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2019, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: What does Clemson BB need? ]

One main issue. We are not a basketball school. Never have been. Not enough passion for the sport. No real desire or drive to make the necessary commitment like we did with football. Considering that, we are were we are, and where the majority of us are ok with. No real sense to get riled about it.

Our basketball program will never be more than mediocre..

Jan 26, 2019, 5:58 PM

under Brownell. I hate it, but last season was an aberration. If it wasn’t an aberration and he was actually BUILDING a program here, we would have beaten this overrated bunch AND we would have beaten FSU. Those are NOT great teams. They are NOT a part of any “brutal” schedule. At the very least we should have expected to win one of those games with the experienced players we have.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2019, 6:01 PM

A new coach with a new perspective.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What all successful basketball programs have.

Jan 26, 2019, 6:06 PM

Good baskeball players must believe that they can win and win big at Clemson. Our historical lack of such success makes that a tough sell. Does that mean it can't be done or that we shouldn't try? I don't belive that for one second. To be the best we can be would require a few things that seem to be lacking. First, the decision to be better, the acknowledgment we haven't wnated it badly enough in the recent past, and the commitment to do better. That would mean a coach with a clear vision of exactly how to win big at this level, and a coach who appreciates what Clemson University has to offer, and a coach who can sell all of that convincingly to recruits. It won't happen overnight, and our ceiling may be somewhat limited by refusing to live in the ethical gray area where so many big-time basketball coaches thrive, but I'm okay with that. I see no reason why we can't be better than we have traditionally been, including under Brownell and Purnell.

We'll be better when we admit we've been under-acheiving, decide we are sick and tired of it, and do wht it takes to be better - no excuses. Until we do, nothing will change.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apparently our girls found that out in one year.***

Jan 26, 2019, 6:45 PM

We need another Rick Barnes

Jan 26, 2019, 6:07 PM

Re: We need another Rick Barnes

Jan 26, 2019, 6:12 PM

Actually it would take a brain transplant for the majority of our fans. The desire is not there

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic