Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Willy Korn love??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Willy Korn love??

Jul 10, 2018, 5:50 PM

Did TNetters love Corn as much as TL back in the day? I wasn’t a member then. I love the tigers and I’ll probably be wrong but I’m waiting a little longer before I name my next kid TL. Love the humor though.

Message was edited by: Vermontfan1221

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Willy Corn love??

Jul 10, 2018, 6:05 PM

Did Willy Korn leap tall building with a single bound???

Did Willy Korn stop bullets and save the planet???

I think not!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 6:17 PM

The belief was he was the greatest QB that would play for Clemson. He was serviceable until he hurt his shoulder and never was the same again.

Jul 10, 2018, 6:19 PM

He hurt is shoulder in the first quarter of his first start. To say he was only serviceable is a bit jump of the gun I’d say. But I do agree he never was the same again.

thank you..i'm glad someone else remembers history correctly

Jul 10, 2018, 6:23 PM

the dude played one play healthy for us. Other than garbage time against Furman. First real game was against GT and that was all she wrote for his shoulder.

you need to brush up on your history pal, he wasn't healthy

Jul 10, 2018, 6:26 PM

when he started vs GT

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he hurt his shoulder the year before vs Furman, but

Jul 10, 2018, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

since we didn't have a real back-up, his shoulder wasn't fixed until he re-injured it the NEXT season in his first start

Jul 10, 2018, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

He actually hurt the shoulder in a playoff game against Gaffney his senior year. In hindsight it appears he never recovered from that before arriving at Clemson.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

He hurt his shoulder against furman his freshman year and then killed it against tech

Yes

Jul 11, 2018, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

This is pretty much how I remember it too...go injured early on in first action and was never the same.

He was unbelievably hyped up while he was still at Byrnes,

Jul 10, 2018, 6:22 PM

but most of the people who were so excited about him turned on him the second it was obvious he wasn't the Second Coming

Re: He was unbelievably hyped up while he was still at Byrnes,

Jul 10, 2018, 11:23 PM

Wow. That’s not how I remember it. There are a few people who are critical about everything, but most people on this forum supported him throughout, even after transfer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was unbelievably hyped up while he was still at Byrnes,

Jul 10, 2018, 11:24 PM [ in reply to He was unbelievably hyped up while he was still at Byrnes, ]

Yeah your right about that, once the 05 & 06 classes were gone, that 07 class couldn't keep up with it, and well you know, didn't win state that year.

Jul 10, 2018, 7:20 PM

Clemson qb hype level:
1 TL
2 Watson
3 Willie Simmons
4 Willy Korn

Jul 10, 2018, 7:37 PM

Get the guys name right. That’s very disrespectful. Willie was a great young man who gave his all for my university.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:52 PM

Fact. He gave his all and I personally appreciate what he was. Hope for nothing but the best for him!

Jul 10, 2018, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

We were all very high on Kyle Parker too , and he had a decent couple of seasons in Tigertown . His big moment came in the upset win @ Miami when he hit Jacoby Ford for the walk off win .

Korn was a good guy , he just didn't have as clear a path as we would've liked due to his injury . I never hated the guy , but I sure remember a few fans giving him a raw deal because their expectations were not met . Funny how fans can insert their lives into another's life (athlete) without even walking a foot of that long mile .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Gotta throw Michael Carr and

Jul 10, 2018, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

Billy Luckie on the hype list.

Re: Gotta throw Michael Carr and

Jul 10, 2018, 11:25 PM

Micheal Carr, yes. A huge get from under LSU. Billy Luckie? I don’t remember any hype there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2018, 3:34 PM

Lott

Jul 11, 2018, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Gotta throw Michael Carr and ]

Michael Carr, yes what a strange story he was. The only thing I remember about Luckie was the irony that he would wear #13, after that he fades from memory, can't remember why he didn't pan out.

"Put Luckie in, coach!"***

Jul 11, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Gotta throw Michael Carr and ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Michael Carr needs to be in there somewhere***

Jul 11, 2018, 2:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 7:39 PM

What I read on tigernet (so it must be true) was that Clemson was recruiting a couple of pretty good QBs in that era. Bowden was sold on Korn and Korn ageed to commit as a Sophomore if Bowden wouldn't recruit another QB in his class or the class ahead of him. Bowden ageed and told his recruiting coordinator, who hapoened to go by the name of Dabo Swinney, to pull the plug on a Junior QB he was recruiting. This player, who happened to go by the name of Tim Teebow, was apparently ready to commit but his offer was rescinded and the rest is history. At least that's what I read.

Jul 10, 2018, 7:46 PM

I don't know about him having his offer pulled , Tebow was the top QB in the country that cycle . I do know that TT was down to UF and Clemson in his decision though .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

^^ Meaning~~>

Jul 10, 2018, 7:54 PM

Tim would have come to Clemson IF true DaBO was personally recruiting him..don’t you believe!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

I also once read Danny Ford only had a single recruit he didn't sign after going on an in-home visit (read this before the internet or tigernet were invented, so I can't vouch for the validity of this story), and that recruit went by the name of Emmitt Smith. However, his brother Emory was apparently impressed with what Danny had to say and would later chose to play for The Tigers, so the visit wasn't a total loss.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:12 PM

Danny was pretty high on a kid named Rice who ended up wearing those funky gold helmets!

Jul 10, 2018, 11:31 PM

Add Tommy Frazier. I think Kornblut said he would “walk backwards to Clemson naked” if Frazier didn’t commit to Clemson. Frazier is regarded as possibly the best QB in Nebraska history, and thankfully, Kornblut did not fulfill his promise.

Jul 11, 2018, 6:44 AM

I remember that Tommie Frazier was ready to commit to Clemson until Patrick Sapp's commitment. Patrick is a great guy and did fine at Clemson but Frazier would have been perfect for our system at that time.

Jul 11, 2018, 9:18 AM

I think Dexter McLeon was in that class too. While he played DB at Clemson, he was a highly rated option QB. And, did play some QB at Clemson...I think against the coots when others were injured?

Jul 10, 2018, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

That’s not true. Danny was a great recruiter, but he was turned down like every recruiter is.

Re: Willy Korn love??

Jul 11, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Willy Corn love?? ]

Yup,

Tebow had a close relationship with Bowden and Spence. To keep Korn from looking elsewhere though, Clemson promised him we'd only recruit on QB that year. As a result, we stopped recruiting Tebow.

No one could question that call because Willie was very highly thought of. He was hyped far more than TL because he was committed to Clemson very early in the recruiting process. It's not even close. We talked about Korn for 2 years before he even stepped foot on campus.

ONE of the biggest differences between Korn and Lawrence

Jul 10, 2018, 8:22 PM

is that Korn was main hyped by people around this area.

Trevor Lawrence has been called the greatest QB recruit in DECADES and people all over the country have put him on a Heisman watch list before he's ever thrown a college pass in a game.

Of course I'm sure some dirtpeckers are praying every night that he will get injured just like Willy was.

But the truth is, if he stays healthy, he has a great chance of being the best QB we've ever had and the maybe one of the best ever college QBs.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:46 PM

Willy Korn was probably the most hyped HS QB from SC since Perry Cuda. Injury did them both in. You could make a long list of less hyped SC QBs who had much more successful college careers than those guys.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:54 PM

nice how some of you just love to come up with these cute little spellings of our coaches and players. it really isnt funny at all

TL hasnt played a down...***

Jul 10, 2018, 9:12 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:18 PM

Glad to see he is doing well at Coastal!

https://www.islandpacket.com/sports/college/article213481439.html

Jul 11, 2018, 6:05 AM

I saw WK play a half dozen games in High School to check out the hype for myself. Saw him roll right and sling the ball 60 yards on a line and hit receiver in stride very much like DW4 did against App. State. Only difference was WK did not set his feet but threw it on the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j421m2iy4Y

I then watched him roll left and hit a receiver with a 55 yard toss where he lofted the ball on the run. I believe he hurt his arm later in the season because I did not see those throws at Clemson.

Message was edited by: reynolds®

Jul 10, 2018, 10:24 PM

Willy couldn't even throw a spiral on a wide receiver screen.

If I remember correctly Willy was a home town kid

Jul 10, 2018, 10:37 PM

that everyone pulled for. I know he had multiply Scholarship offers however he never had the talent or skill set that Mr. Watson had.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another "home town kid"

Jul 10, 2018, 11:04 PM

The first I remember being highly hyped was Rick Gilstrap from Easley.

Re: Another "home town kid"

Jul 10, 2018, 11:36 PM

I only go back as far as Fuller. Mike Eppley was highly regarded as well.

Re: Another "home town kid"

Jul 11, 2018, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Another "home town kid" ]

I saw Rick play and practice alot. I could never figure out why he could always handle holding on PATs so well but was so erratic catching the ball when he played rb. He was about the size of a lot of OT's when he played.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much, and for good reason.

Jul 10, 2018, 11:17 PM

Korn was at one time rated the #4 overall HS player in the country, and was runner-up MVP at the Elite 11 finals where he was voted "most likely to see playing time first". EVERYBODY expected big things from Korn; he was an elite HS QB. So yes, we were all very excited about Korn here on T-Net, just as we were about DW and are about TL. Unfortunately for Korn (and us), we never got a chance to see how good he really could be as injuries derailed his career right out of the gate.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You always come up with an informative and ACCURATE post.

Jul 10, 2018, 11:56 PM

Some people have amnesia if the players don’t meet their expectations even if it is due to injuries. Great kid, wish him great success.

Weren't his injuries compounded by..........

Jul 11, 2018, 12:48 AM [ in reply to Pretty much, and for good reason. ]

fact there were only 2 QB on campus. So Willy had to play through it rather than take time off to heal?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2018, 1:56 AM

This thread should have died at "Corn"! People responding with "Corn", c'mon! I'm surprised at some of the comments on here not as negative but seems like history could be written as if it were 20 different players.

Quick synopsis as I know/recall as I had a college buddy that was close to the Korn family. Willie hurt his shoulder in his Sr. HS yr. It wasn't damaged but hurt. He was the 5th ranked QB in Nation, over-hyped local legend, huge Clemson fan and as many said he was way better than Charlie Whitehurst and would go straight to NFL.

Willie re-hurt his shoulder in first game and should have considered redshirting until he got healed. Then he became victim of coach on the hot seat, fans wanting to see the local hero and Korn pretty much wrecked his shoulder next game. Korn really needed to shut it down, get surgeries (yes plural), then run through rehab. But then he had the 13th ranked QB come in and put the pressure on Korn to perform, not let local fans down, and to try to be the starter all before he was ready. Because of that he played timid afraid of hurting himself and chances to start.

End of day, I think he became a product of a scared coach trying to make fans happy and not lose his job, Korn wanting to live up to the hype instead of considering his health and then having a highly ranked QB coming in and showing his moxie!

If Korn had immediately redshirted and the coach was 100% honest then I think Korn would have been in the Clemson history books!

His shoulder injury was inarguably mishandled by Tommy***

Jul 11, 2018, 2:53 AM

Re: His shoulder injury was inarguably mishandled by Tommy***

Jul 11, 2018, 10:25 PM

I played against Willy Korn all four years of high school and I also consider him a good friend of mine as well as being a teammate (preferred walk-on in 2007), I know for a fact if He had not hurt his shoulder Will would have no doubt in my mind been a great QB at Clemson.

Also later on I played some pickup ball with him up at Brynes after he was finished at North Greenville and trust me Will most certainly could make your fingers sting. That was him slinging it to me from 20 plus yards away warming up beforehand FWIW.

Jul 11, 2018, 7:03 AM

I don't think he got that much love. TL could just walk into a room and command respect. Korn never had that kind of presence.

He had a lot of hype, but not nearly as much as TL

Jul 11, 2018, 9:40 AM

He was a 4*, #98 overall on Rivals, #5 dual threat QB, and the #4 prospect in SC. Compare that to TL who was the consensus #1 overall recruit in the entire country last year and has been called one of the best QB prospects of the recruiting service era by multiple analysts.

I actually think the hype on Korn started to temper a little during his SR season too. He put up gaudy numbers at Byrnes but (at least IMO) was a bit less impressive in person. He didn't have nearly the arm of Trevor Lawrence even before the shoulder injuries. IIRC he was initially a 5* and then his stock started to fall some his SR year.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good prospect, but if a QB of his stature were to sign with Clemson right now it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Jul 11, 2018, 6:15 PM

Thanks for all the information. Go Tigers

Willy Korn jumped into the stands after Dabo's first

Jul 11, 2018, 8:28 PM

win at BC, right in my arms. I love him today as much as I did then.

...was that not what you meant? ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic