Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will playing the whole team hurt our rankings this season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Aug 1, 2019, 9:58 PM

You all know the drill. We've created a lot of experienced players by getting them into the game early in the contest. In the long run, it helps our depth. There's no doubt about that. But the flip side is that we don't usually "hammer" people like the usual #1-ranked team does, year in and year out. Their process is not our way. But people that don't know the Tigers think that the relatively close scores we produce are a sign of our weakness.

Which brings me to this year.

We start out at #1, but will potentially close games like Texas A&M and Syracuse bring our ranking down? Personally, I don't think it matters in the long run, because CDS and his staff are going to do things the way they usually do, and who can argue with that?

Do you have an opinion?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will playing the whole team hurt our rankings this season?

Aug 1, 2019, 10:01 PM

The coaches and team play with ONLY ONE ranking in mind....

...THE FINAL RANKING!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 10:30 PM

Close scores? Clemson destroyed teams last year. I seem to recall 44-16, 77-16, 41-7, 56-35, 69-3, just to mention a few.

Aug 1, 2019, 10:07 PM

Since TL has started (and finished) the game, nobody has come within 20 points of Clemson.

Expect much more of the same.

I mean, we dropped 77 on Louisville, beat FSU 59-10, and curb-stomped Notre Dame and Alabama 74-19 combined.

Aug 1, 2019, 10:31 PM

Probably but I’d be surprised if Dabo & Company care. Funny this topic came up because I’ve been thinking about our rankings today and was curious so I looked some things up.

We all know that Clemson’s record and Bama’s record have been identical over the last 4 years. 55-4 & 2 National Championships each. I’d argue that Clemson’s record is a hair better because we have more Conference Championships over the last 4 years, but that’s not my point.

Over the last 4 years, the AP has ranked Bama #1 for 40 weeks and Clemson #1 for 7 weeks. I’d call that a media bias.

Didn't hurt last year.

Aug 1, 2019, 10:33 PM

Won't hurt this year.

The only ranking that ultimately matters is the final one,

Aug 1, 2019, 10:50 PM

and if we win them all, all other rankings become irrelevant. Also, playing a lot of guys and resting starters has in great shape by the time playoff rolls around.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aug 1, 2019, 11:11 PM

They can call it what they want, we still crush what they believe to be the strongest team in the country all the way to the point that Dabo started doing what he does with every team we beat, and that is play as many deserving player that he can play... Dabo knows who and what we are, and weak isn't one of them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 11:42 PM

Dabo also knows once we do something once we will do it again! Can’t wait

Aug 1, 2019, 11:32 PM

With recruiting taking a step up, more reserves will be ready to step in with less drop-off in performance, so I'm expecting the scoreboard to keep lighting up unless the coaches hold them back. Our backups could score at will on some teams on our schedule: am I right?

Apparently the 65 coaches polled don't think so... 59 to 6.***

Aug 1, 2019, 11:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2019, 5:30 AM

Last year we came within 62 points of being the highest scoring offense in the history of the game. And we were sandbagging and going vanilla quite a bit during the season. I think we blow the lid off this season, not even trying. It's just a matter of how much Dabo wants to score each game and when he calls off the assault.

"We're gonna do what we do."***

Aug 2, 2019, 5:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2019, 6:45 AM

Who cares? If we win every game we win it all.

Aug 2, 2019, 7:33 AM

ezshute says,

Only 113 post since becoming a member of T-Net in 2013, that equals 6 years with 18 post a YEAR. I could be wrong but, 18 post a year sounds like, you could be a coot!!!

We were ranked at the top all of last year finishing as the season as the #1 in the country, and we are starting the season as the #1 team in the country. Why would our rankings be a concern when they mean nothing until playoff time. That seems like a major waste of one of your 18 post for this year!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2019, 10:44 AM

Not a coot here!!!

72 Clemson grad that doesn't post unless he has something to add or something to legitimately question. My question stemmed from the way the national pundits look at Clemson, not how we look at ourselves.

I don't go "after" people unnecessarily. So, don't get me started.

BTW, my vocabulary is much too high for me to be a coot.

I'm disappointed in you, allorangeallthetime52!!!

Aug 2, 2019, 7:35 AM

Probably... if we and Bama are both undefeated at mid season... a good chance Bama passes us due to their schedule (ahem) and us having a few closer calls as we create depth on the defense.
Honestly I think this plays right into our hands if it happens.

Aug 2, 2019, 8:10 AM

It's ok if we're #2 or 3 going into the CFP. We just want to be #1 by the end of the night on Jan 13.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic