Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We're Off to France
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,664

We're Off to France

Jun 28, 2018, 3:11 PM

After a short stay at Barton Stacey, England, we prepared to board our luxury liner for an all expense paid trip France. But before we left for France we were given an overnight pass to London. The Germans sent a little excitement in the way of a Buzz Bomb, landing close enough to our hotel to shake us out of bed. So far we had escaped the U-Boats and now we had to contend with the Buzz Bombs. We thought the war was taking place over on the continent but it appeared it was everywhere.

The day of reckoning came and we were trucked the short distance from Barton Stacey to one of the numerous docks at Southampton. There at dockside was the Marine Wolf, our luxury liner. A search of the records shows it to be a ship of 11,757 gross tons, 520' long, a breadth of 71 1/2', a draft of 30' and a speed of 17 knots. Our target is Le Havre, 126 nautical miles away across the English Channel.

The first unit to go aboard was the 3125th. Signal Service Company. Lucky us, maybe we were going to get the choice suites. Such was not the case. We went down, down, down, down until we could go no deeper into the guts of the Marine Wolf. Our orders were to climb in our bunks and stay there until we were told to disembark at Le Havre. We were also told it was just a short ride to Le Havre. The best news we heard was that all known German U-Boats had been chased from this part of the Channel.

I don't know how many other units joined us on this cruise because our being about one-half mile below the water line we never knew what was going on up above us. We finally realized we were underway and were relaxing in our bunks, mostly wondering what was in store when we got to France. We had not yet been informed of our final destination.

We had not been underway very long when we heard a terrific blast and the Marine Wolf shuddered as if it was breaking apart. Every man jumped out of his bunk and raced to the ladder leading to the deck above At the top of the stairs stood a huge Marine, armed with a rifle that looked like a huge cannon. In a stern voice, he told us to get back down there and get in our bunks. He did not offer any clew that he was open to discussions. We went back down, but I believe there was some dirty underwear. Before our heartbeat could return to anything considered normal, there came another blast. This one even louder than the first and with the Marine Wolf shuddering even more, we started looking for leaks. Finding none, we said a prayer, thanking those welders who built this ship for doing a good job.

We were in our bunks but at the same time we were sitting on pins and needles Scared? Sitting in the bottom of a ship way below the water line and not knowing what's going on when we hear a big BOOM and the ship shuddering as if it's coming apart. Fellows, that's scary!!!

Our prayers were answered That was the last BOOM. Later on, word seeped down to those of us at the bottom that the Marine Wolf was dropping a few depth charges and it was not a training exercise.That was supposed to be a comforting message but there was no true comfort until we finally arrived safely at Le Havre. Our crossing was at night but no one in our group was able to take a nap.

When we arrived at Le Havre we had more excitement but it did not involve a U-Boat. Moare about that later.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is an amazing story. Please keep them coming!

Jun 28, 2018, 4:22 PM

Thank you for your service!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So many others have said it

Jun 28, 2018, 5:01 PM

and I will too. Really enjoying these! Thank you for your service, sir!

A Field in France

Jun 28, 2018, 5:09 PM

Thank you very much for your service Joe!

My uncle, then a 19 year old E-6 staff sergeant paid the ultimate sacrifice during WWII as we pushed across the French countryside. Johnny Robbins is laid to rest in a field somewhere in France... evidently a brother in arms with you. Bless you both, and very happy you got to come home and pursue your dreams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're Off to France

Jun 28, 2018, 7:17 PM

We made it from King's Cross in London to Paris a few months back in a little over 2 hours by taking a train through the Chunnel. A lot easier trip these days than what you guys had. The Parisians were OK but not nearly as happy to see us as I'm sure they were excited to see y'all. In fact one old guy who could tell we were Americans cussed us in French while shaking his head and saying something about Trump. I said in English that a simple Thank You would be enough, but he didn't understand me any more than I understood him.

Jun 28, 2018, 7:17 PM

Jun 28, 2018, 7:57 PM

When you were more afraid of the MAN up top than the enemy says something for the MAN up top.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,664
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic