Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well the QB Battle is over IMO
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Well the QB Battle is over IMO

Aug 11, 2018, 10:29 PM

Starter to be named in 10 days or so but with Dabo so complimentary of Kelly’s play it would take an injury to change things.

Make no mistake Dabo wants Kelly to start and the only way he was going to lose it is if he played every practice like he did the Spring game. We all knew this was going to happen. Just hope that Lawrence doesn’t get discouraged and gets to play a lot

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well the QB Battle is over IMO

Aug 11, 2018, 10:34 PM

Hopefully this doesn’t cost us games

Aug 12, 2018, 2:14 AM

Hope this don't cost us with future QB's!!! Every recruit want's to believe they have a chance to earn a spot even if it's just a back up spot with playing time. On better than average that does happen with freshman all over the field at Clemson, just not as much with QB's. Sophomore and junior QB's don't get much playing time if the starter is that good!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So...Laurence didn't want to play as well today?

Aug 11, 2018, 10:36 PM

Did he and Kelly have a bet? Conspiracy theories are funny like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So...Laurence didn't want to play as well today?

Aug 12, 2018, 1:05 AM

Did I miss something? Everything I’ve read today said TL played great.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK so KB starts? You act as if that means.........

Aug 11, 2018, 10:40 PM

that TL is going to ride the bench for the rest of the season.

DS has already said on several occasions that TL will get plenty of playing time this season.

So what if KB starts? If TL comes in for whatever reason and he shows in actual game play that he's playing better then he will become the starter.

DS has made it clear several times that if KB and TL are even going into the Furman game that KB will be the starter. He owes KB that much seeing as how he took us last year to the playoffs.

Re: OK so KB starts? You act as if that means.........

Aug 12, 2018, 2:18 AM

My ? is, exactly what does QB competition really mean with our coaching staff, or the best guy will start?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2018, 7:29 AM

The best does not always mean the most talented.

Aug 12, 2018, 11:14 AM

But it should mean the guy that doesn't pout when he consistently overthrows.

I disagree. It has always, from day one, been KB's job to

Aug 11, 2018, 11:17 PM

lose; Dabo has been very clear about that. Therefore, no one should be surprised if KB gets the nod. However, there is a very real competition, one that will continue all season long. The player that gives us the best chance to win will play.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I disagree. It has always, from day one, been KB's job to

Aug 12, 2018, 12:40 AM

Thanks Dabo. Well said, you got Dabo’s speech down!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you, but think Dabo calling it a competition is a bit ridiculous.

Aug 12, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to I disagree. It has always, from day one, been KB's job to ]

Sure, it’s a competition in that the QBs must compete and the coaches must evaluate their performances in order to choose the starter. But I don’t really believe that the competition is as close as Dabo makes it sound. Most of that is coach-speak to keep the players motivated.

I don’t think KB is in jeopardy of losing his starting job anytime soon. It would take a heroic effort by TL to come close to being in consideration for it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I agree with you, but think Dabo calling it a competition is a bit ridiculous.

Aug 12, 2018, 11:44 AM

There are three elements in this situation.

KB has a year of starting which is invaluable! TL will play in at least four contests as Dabo and staff may actually want to “technically” redshirt him despite what doubters believe.

TL is exceedingly talented, but high school is not college and the staff knows it. Lawrence obviously will play and if KB continues his overthrow tendency Dabo will have NO Choice but to play TL. Lawrence needs to physically get prepared and take time this season to listen and observe because he will be an injury away from starting. Lawrence has already experienced the defensive differences in college, but live play will really teach him. The staff has to pick opportunities accordingly.

Lastly Clemson has Dabo and the offensive staff to figure all this out between now and Furman. Quit second guessing and let them earn their pay! Despite our opinions we don’t have the final say in the matter! Get over it! Frankly be glad they have the luxury of choosing between three excellent players! There are multiple teams who wish they were so lucky!

Go Tigers!

Kelly IS the starter and will be

Aug 11, 2018, 11:49 PM

for the start of year season. Dabo is consistent (in many wonderful ways) and anyone that’s been paying attention will not be surprised by any of it. You are correct

KB is a baller, TL is not a diva

Aug 12, 2018, 12:00 AM

First, KB is a stud that most teams would kill for and can definitely lead this team to a championship. It’s asinine how much people doubt him when they loved him up until the last game of the season.

Second, TL is not a diva at all. He committed with no fanfare and never wavered in his commitment. He is not going to get discouraged if a senior QB with a lot of talent plays over him in his freshman season. He’ll have 2 more years as the guaranteed starter.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: KB is a baller, TL is not a diva

Aug 12, 2018, 1:03 AM

I agree most teams would like to have, not so much for elite teams unless that’s all they had. TL isn’t a diva or whatever that means, he’s from everything I’ve heard from him, seen from him and heard from his coaches that he is a generational talent and has the same drive and makeup as DW4.

Honestly, imo I would have hated to miss DW4 freshman season. In addition, I feel from what I read on here and other boards is that if it goes like last year, the backup QB’s played very little meaningful time and except for the cuse game really didn’t get game reps with the first team.

Yeah every qb will get time with Furman and should with gsu and should be like a scrimmage. I think what a lot of us want to see is TL or Chase if he’s the backup- the 2 guy, come in the other games early. Even if we are tied or only up by a touchdown type situation.

So far we’ve heard reputable people who say they went to this scrimmage and TL didn’t miss passes and was crisp etc and KB was, well kb and missed some throws.

Aug 12, 2018, 6:46 AM [ in reply to KB is a baller, TL is not a diva ]

Bryant is not a consistent downfield passer based on my observations. He struggled at times and while that is certainly understandable, in the “ rare air “ situation we now reside, just getting to the CFB playoff finals and getting humiliated by our opponent is unacceptable, in my opinion. I don’t care who leads, it’s more important that whoever leads they know where they lead this team.

Aug 12, 2018, 7:15 AM

There are probably about 118 other teams out there that would love to be in the "rare air" we are in right now. I think Dabo has spoiled a large part of the fanbase. If you're still blaming KB for us being "humiliated", you're forgetting the OL didn't block and the WRs didn't get separation OR hold on to passes. Soooooo, that to me is more "unacceptable". Hopefully, both of those areas we had issues with against the eventual National Champions have been addressed and we are there again in that "rare air" CFP for a 4th straight year.

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2018, 7:50 AM

With the same OL, Deshaun would’ve let Clemson to victory with a margin of 7-14 pets. KB was a deer in headlights.

lol***

Aug 12, 2018, 8:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Aug 12, 2018, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: KB is a baller, TL is not a diva ]

Lol DW might have been the only one. Little unfair to say, dont you think?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: KB is a baller, TL is not a diva ]

118 teams would like to be where we are? No, this team is #1, talent-wise, right now, and it's not even close. So ALL of them would like to be us. I think that's close to 138.

But unless you're Bama, that's no guarantee for a repeat appearance in the CFP.

Pardon my saying so, but your attitude is what it means "to take it for granted". I believe we should, and Dabo will, do our best to win it this year, and not presume that TL has 2 more years. If Kelly the Carefree goes into the CFP prepared this time, it will be because Trevor and Chase are pushing him this time, not because he has learned from last year. Trevor is driven, and Kelly is only driven because Trevor is driving him ahead of him.

We need to win it all again while we still have starters who know what it takes. Kelly still doesn't.

Aug 12, 2018, 9:33 AM

Wouldn't say I take ANYTHING for granted when it comes to the tigers. I've been a fan through the 2-9, the 4-7 years, and seen us lose games we should never have list. That "rare " is hard to get to, and we will get there with KB and also with TL.

138 teams?

Aug 12, 2018, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: KB is a baller, TL is not a diva ]

At least take 12 seconds to google something if you don’t know it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: 138 teams?

Aug 12, 2018, 11:19 AM

Ok, I said "probably 118 teams", didn't know I had to be EXACT about it.

I wasn’t talking to you, I was talking to the poster I

Aug 12, 2018, 11:22 AM

replied to.

Re: I wasn’t talking to you, I was talking to the poster I

Aug 12, 2018, 11:32 AM

Gotcha....... Appreciate it. I was trying to say we are THERE in that rare air with the elite teams. People have too much time on their hands. I mean, I'm retired, what's everyone else's excuse? Lol

Aug 12, 2018, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: KB is a baller, TL is not a diva ]

I lot of what you're was the course with DW4 at QB also, he had to suck up our short comings and just make it happen. He went out on the field and took what we had to have with heart, skill, and a strong accurate arm that our receivers trusted that he would get the ball to them!!! Our receivers just don't have that kind of trust in KB's arm strength and accuracy!!!

Aug 12, 2018, 11:33 AM

Nor did our WRs last year get a lot of separation and dropped a bunch of passes. POS's KB didn't have faith in them getting open. Hey, last year is last year, it's gone. New March to the Playoffs begins in 20 days!!!!!

Aug 12, 2018, 7:53 AM [ in reply to KB is a baller, TL is not a diva ]

Disagree. He is above average at best. 13 TDs passing all of last year and an inconsistency to hit receivers downfield and in the middle of the field

Was it ever a serious battle?

Aug 12, 2018, 1:38 AM

Dabo is not going to let TL start over KB. It probably takes a loss or injury.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was it ever a serious battle?

Aug 12, 2018, 7:18 AM

Dabo's choice, sorry if he didn't confide in your first. ;)

Re: Was it ever a serious battle?

Aug 12, 2018, 7:52 AM

Well he already made the wrong one with Stoudt over Watson. Needs to just come out and say if you are a true freshman you will not start first game as a Freshman QB. At least that way it wouldn’t actually look like Bryant is better than Lawrence

Did you lose a bet or something?

Aug 12, 2018, 8:31 AM

Why are you going on and on about this?

Re: Did you lose a bet or something?

Aug 12, 2018, 10:50 AM

Because he’s an Internet Coach. Surely you’re aware, Francis, that Internet Coaches have a level of understanding above and beyond that of an $8.526 million/year real football coach?!

siriusly

Aug 12, 2018, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Was it ever a serious battle? ]

no one gives a ####

wood you like to know why?? because we win no matter who is under center

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Aug 12, 2018, 2:17 AM

So it’s the best of both worlds: KB starts and TL steps in if he struggles.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2018, 3:16 AM

Can you tell us how many true freshmen QB’s have ever won a national championship? Don’t google it. Just take a guess.

TL’s time will come. Be patient.

Aug 12, 2018, 4:31 AM

One. Jamiel Holloway for OK, back in 1988--though he might have been a RS, come to think of it.

I remember the one regular season game they lost; got blown out by either Miami or ND. Keith Jackson the announcer was calling the game, when Keith Jackson the TE caught a pass from Holloway and turned it into a 65-yard-ish TD. That was their entire offense of the second half.

Pardon if my old fart reminiscence detracts from the thread....

Re: but if your point is "TL needs to wait his turn"

Aug 12, 2018, 5:33 AM

I reject that.

Why should Tiger Nation, and the Tiger team, accept that? 2018 is our best shot at winning this year's championship.

The QB position is the weakest on the team, but it's the most important. Kelly will only play with intensity when he is being pushed--so let him be pushed constantly. If not, he will squander opportunities again this year just like last year. And if he presses too hard, like he did in the Sugar Bowl, and commits a turnover, he will need to learn from it like every other QB does.

This year's defense will erase a lot of mistakes. Better for us all if all our QBs get lots of learning opportunities. Next year might be fraught with 40-35 type games.

Re: but if your point is "TL needs to wait his turn"

Aug 12, 2018, 5:48 AM

Sometimes I wonder where some of you come from. LOL "Dabo this Dabo that". Yeah, the man is our head coach and is responsible for coaching the team. Some of you feel butthurt when he doesn't do what YOU think he should do. Y'all are funny.

I completely agree that 2018 is our best shot...

Aug 12, 2018, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: but if your point is "TL needs to wait his turn" ]

at winning this year's championship.

Aug 12, 2018, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Well the QB Battle is over IMO ]

Tua?

Aug 12, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Well the QB Battle is over IMO ]

Ahem.. Wasn't last year a freshman vs a freshman?

That doesn't exactly help your case.

Syracuse and Pitt games come mind then Alabama loss

Aug 12, 2018, 7:23 AM

I hope that it does not take a loss to make a change. KB wins and wins and harder it wil get to sit him as a senior. Furman will not be the test. ATM will be with it being away. I will expect the same game plan Alabama did. Beat us with the pass down the field.

Dabo should have pulled Watson against Pitt?***

Aug 12, 2018, 8:19 AM

Is it more important for TL to play, or CU to win? Geeze

Aug 12, 2018, 8:01 AM

this hand-wringing about who's playing and who's going to get upset belongs on a travel ball parent message bored or a coot bored.

If you want conspiracies, go watch Netflix....

They are big boys, the coaches make the decisions, if they don't like it go somewhere else.

I'm sure that Chase and TL and KB spend less time fretting about it than we do.

Just win, the rest will sort itself out.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings and...

Aug 12, 2018, 8:03 AM

my ex can't carry a tune in a bucket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2018, 8:25 AM

For me, I still see TL getting to run some specific packages designed for him, especially between the 20's. His strength is that laser he has, and can stretch the field when there is a lot of field to be stretched. I think the coaches will put him in sometimes and let him run a series to see if he can hit a deep route and possibly have a quick 6. That is the way I would play him. I would keep KB in the game inside the RZ. But I ain't no coach, so that probably won't happen. :)

Aug 12, 2018, 9:31 AM

IMO KB2 deserves to start........he has earned it......HOWEVER.......he has to perform and if he does not it is TL's time.......either way we are in good hands.......Go Tigers!!!!!!

if i had wanted your opinion, i wood have asked for it

Aug 12, 2018, 9:34 AM

imo

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: if i had wanted your opinion, i wood have asked for it

Aug 12, 2018, 9:56 AM
CU.jpg(91.0 K)

Now I'm more confused than I was before reading all this ""insider poop"" ---

what's really going to be funny ___ is when #18 Ben Batson trots out for the opening series against Furman & throws an eighty yard TD pass to Will Swinney !!!!!!!! Go Tigers !!!!!!!

Remember you heard it first on TNET !!!!!

Re: if i had wanted your opinion, i wood have asked for it

Aug 12, 2018, 10:45 AM

Batson to Swinney! Great story!

Dabo says Will Swinney has been making plays. He and Spence were MVPs of the Sugar Bowl. Put him in, Coach!

Aug 12, 2018, 10:38 AM

From an outsider looking in I don't see Kelly losing his job game one. I do think he will be on a short leash and you will see TL plenty in game one but you need experience when going to A&M. What little I saw of TL in your Spring Game he is the real deal but Kelly is the one with experience. So I would think that Kelly will be the starter through game 2 and Lawrence will be the starter before the season ends.

Aug 12, 2018, 11:22 AM

Bingo

Aug 12, 2018, 11:21 AM

With the heavy lean of experienced talent that we have on both sides of the ball this season, this team is the team that gives us our best chance to win another national championship in this decade!!!

We will know in 3Q in College Station

Aug 12, 2018, 11:27 AM

Jimbo will for sure test out Bama’s formula for solving KB so we will know by September 8th how this needs to go moving forward.

A&M will have 8 in the box so we’ll see how broad Tee’s reach is trying to catch KB overthrows... or you could just put TL in and watch the D Coordinator cry trying to solve that balance...

It will play itself out on the field. Just hope we don’t need a 2014 like start for him to pull the trigger.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic