Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wednesday Game: Clemson at VTech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,760

Wednesday Game: Clemson at VTech

Jan 13, 2014, 5:25 PM

Who: Clemson (11-4, 2-1 ACC) at VTech (8-7, 1-2 ACC)
When: Wednesday, 7 p.m., at Cassell Coliseum
The Line: RPI Forecast has Clemson a 6-point favorite. On the road, that's saying a lot.
Is it a sellout? Why do you care? It's not like your going up there. But there's about 150 seats left.
Is it on TV? If you're in the area, it should be on Raycom. If not, got a computer? It's on ESPN3
The last game: Clemson rallied to upend Duke 72-59; VTech fell late to BC at home 62-59
When last we met: Same ol' same ol' last year. Tigers fell way behind early, rallied then slipped at the end to lose at Cassell 69-61. It was senior night, too.

Which of us will show up in Blacksburg? The can't-beat Auburn Tigers or the kick Duke's butt Tigers?

So, which Clemson will we see at VTech? Good question. Certainly the nay-sayers expect to see the one that couldn't buy a bucket against FSU. And there are some good reasons to think that way: Cassell is a house of horrors for Clemson, the Hokies are getting ready to embark on a death march of their own, and they probably see Clemson as the last, best chance for a win.

Sigh! No more Dana Delany! why even go to VTech, then?

But none of the old tormentors are back with the Hokies this year. They have a bunch of new faces, faces that couldn't beat UNC-Greensboro or Seton Hall or ... Hey! Remember that VMI team Clemson beat 80-50? The Hokies lost to them. Gave up 100 points to them. Suddenly, I'm feeling a bit better about this game.

But onto this year's Hokies: VTech is led by senior forward Jarrell Eddy (16 ppg, 6 reb). He's sort of their JK McDaniels, except he doesn't block shots. But Lord can he hit from the outside, like 45 pct of his 3-pointers. Good defenses (like a 1-6 outside effort vs. BC) can hold him in check but the Tigers will need to sit on him.

Adam Smith (12 ppg, 3 reb, 2 ast) is a good all-around player and an excellent FT shooter (82 pct). He isn't over aggressive on defense, and if placed on someone like Rod Hall, look for blow-bys.

A little defense goes a long way against this year's VTech

The Hokies, in fact don't play aggressive defense as a rule. They have about half as many steals as Clemson, and average about 4 more turnovers a game than Clemson. That, to me, says uncertainty at guard.

Their point guard, Devin Wilson (7 ppg, 3 rpg, 5 ast) likes to distribute more than shoot. He also will turn the ball over under pressure. he had 6 TOs vs. VCU's press, only 2 against the Syracuse zone. Lean on him and watch the fun.

No, no! I said Emelogu, Not Mr. Magoo!

The other Hokie in double figures is Ben Emelogu (11 ppg, 3 reb. He fancies himself a 3-point shooter but as a freshman has a bit to learn about patience against a good defense.

Inside, the Hokies look more like old Clemson teams ... 6-8, 6-10 and ripe for the picking. Look for C.J. Barksdale (9 ppg, 5 reb) a sort of poor man's Devin Booker who can hit FTs and Joey Van Zegeren, a 6-10 kid who's defense seems to be to hack and hope. BTW, his free-throw shooting technique makes Landry Nnoko look like Terrell McIntyre at the line.

As a whole, the Hokies are average from the field, boosting their states against some shamefully weak defenses. They go about 7 deep, and have a decided weakness if you can get into their bench.

How will Clemson respond? Well, we're back to that old question: Which Clemson? The one that couldn't beat Auburn on the road and couldn't buy a bucket vs. FSU ... or the one that manhandled Duke?

Ever the optimist I'm counting on the Duke-beaters to show up, and here's why ... VTech has some long bodies like FSU, but they don't have the depth, or the confidence or the patience against Clemson's defense.

I got plenty more for your wimpy inside guys, Hokies!

And the Hokies have no answer for the hulking He-Beast, Landry Nnoko (6 ppg, 7 reb, 6 Blue Devil heads on a pike after Saturday). Nnoko is too much for anything the Hokies have inside, and if they sag to contain him, it will create all sorts of problems on the outside. Certain K.J. McDaniels (17 ppg, 7 reb, 3 blk, 3 Top Ten highlights per game) would enjoy the extra space.

Rod Hall (10 ppg, 4 ast) has the nerve and strength to take VTech's defenders inside, and I'm interested in seing if Jarrod Blossomgame (14 p, 14 reb vs Duke) is ready to flash that style again. If VTech steps out against him, it leaves room for Jordan Roper (9 ppg) or a resurgent Adonis Filer to step up.

On defense, there are really no mismatches for the Hokies to exploit. And they have shown no patience against a stout defense. In a scene all too memorable to Clemson fans, I anticipate seeing VTech pass the ball around the outside for the bulk of the shot clock, hoping something will happen and lobbing mortar shots at the clock winds down. the key will be to have a hand in their face when they start launching.

And the outcome? If Clemson plays the defense we've come to expect, it will be close regardless. Any sort of continuation of the offensive energy we showed vs. Duke and we should get our second ACC road win.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wednesday Game: Clemson at VTech

Jan 13, 2014, 5:40 PM

Rev I always love your insight on our opponents. I think we are on FXSS ( sports south direct TV ch 646 )on Wednesday night not just ESPNterd(3). If I am wrong I am sorry but I think that is correct.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm: Lemme check...***

Jan 13, 2014, 6:46 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct. Thanks for the heads-up!***

Jan 13, 2014, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Wednesday Game: Clemson at VTech ]

Bump for tonight's game***

Jan 15, 2014, 10:12 AM

nice & thanks rev, missed it first time around.***

Jan 15, 2014, 10:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wednesday Game: Clemson at VTech

Jan 15, 2014, 10:15 AM

My wife is an HR coordinator at the Inn at Virginia Tech. She told me she just met some of the Clemson basketball team
and told them she's a Tiger spouse and wishes them the best tonight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,760
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic