Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone know what year, we decided...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,293

Does anyone know what year, we decided...

Jul 17, 2019, 6:31 AM

Hey, we wanna be good at football ! I’m glad we decided in taking this route. Does anyone recall what our first standout year in football was? Was it in the 1800s or early 1900s? Maybe Joe21 can shed some light on this subject since he was probably around during that time. ;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Undefeated season in 1900, Heisman's first at CU

Jul 17, 2019, 6:33 AM

Beat UofSuC 51-0, Georgia 39-5, Alabama 35-0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Heisman#Clemson

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Undefeated season in 1900, Heisman's first at CU

Jul 17, 2019, 6:35 AM

Thanks !

After we had hired Heisman away way Auburn!

Jul 18, 2019, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Undefeated season in 1900, Heisman's first at CU ]

I wonder what the attendance was like back in those days?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think all the fans brought their own chairs back then.

Jul 18, 2019, 8:31 AM

And I am certain season tickets didn't make you leave with a limp.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then we beat GT so bad in 1903 (73-0) that they hired him away from us

Jul 18, 2019, 8:53 PM [ in reply to After we had hired Heisman away way Auburn! ]

"The 1903 team went 4–1–1, and opened the season by beating Georgia 29–0. The next week, Clemson played Georgia's rival Georgia Tech. To inspire Clemson, Georgia offered a bushel of apples for every point it scored after the 29th. Rushing for 615 yards, Clemson beat Georgia Tech 73–0."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Undefeated season in 1900, Heisman's first at CU

Jul 18, 2019, 7:18 AM [ in reply to Undefeated season in 1900, Heisman's first at CU ]

Wonder if that was a year in which Bama claimed a natty. If their record was otherwise perfect, and they had not been given adequate time to prepare for Heisman and the Tigers, then I could see the argument, especially since Army and Notre Dame didn’t have to play us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

When we chose the Bengal Tiger as our mascot.

Jul 17, 2019, 9:02 AM

If we had wanted to be sorry at football we would have chosen to be gamecocks.

Re: Does anyone know what year, we decided...

Jul 18, 2019, 9:03 PM

Wonder who this really is.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone who cares about college baseball, apparently***

Jul 18, 2019, 9:42 PM

Clemson has been good at the highest level for a long time.

Jul 18, 2019, 9:44 PM

If you do this link, you can see where we stand in terms of all time wins for major college programs.

http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking/all-time-wins

That list has us 16th all time in wins.

(Not bad, but I get picky about the standing of West Virginia and Virginia Tech ahead of Clemson. If you look at the wins of each of those 3 teams against 'major college teams', Clemson has considerably more of those than WVU or VT. Both those teams stayed in the Southern Conference until well into the 1960s playing schedules that were full of Furman, The Citadel, William and Mary, VMI, Davidson, George Washington and the like. We were playing an ACC schedule enriched with 2-4 SEC teams every year. VT bowl history is barren with nothing above the Liberty and Peach Bowl until the 1980s. WVU played GT once in the Sugar Bowl in the early 50s and the rest of the WVU bowl history is the Liberty Bowl level games until after Clemson had won our first Natty. Of course we'd played in the Cotton, Orange and Sugar a few times by the mid 50s. All wins are not created equal.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'd be higher on that list if we played as many games

Jul 18, 2019, 9:59 PM

as some of those teams did back in the early days.

In 1900, Clemson played 6 games. Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Ohio State all played 10. Penn State played 11.

There were quite a few years like that.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,293
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic