Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We yap about the SEC, but tell the truth, would you want Clemson in it for FB?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

We yap about the SEC, but tell the truth, would you want Clemson in it for FB?

Apr 29, 2019, 3:11 PM

I would for awhile since they do have some great college campuses, stadiums, rabid fans (vs WF, Duke, UVa, etc), tailgating, history, etc...

Oh, and competitive football across the board.

Flame me but thanks still for your American right to opine..good or bad.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We yap about the SEC, but tell the truth, would you want Clemson in it for FB?

Apr 29, 2019, 3:19 PM

Would like that, but for different reason. Prefer existence apart from tobacco rd.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We yap about the SEC, but tell the truth, would you want Clemson in it for FB?

Apr 29, 2019, 3:22 PM

I am not into the cult that is the SEC. We don't feel compelled to yell A-C-C for every team in the conference, and why should we? The ACC has had a couple of down years, but that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

the most obnoxious, delusional and stupid fan bases in the

Apr 30, 2019, 1:09 AM

Country. No thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the most obnoxious, delusional and stupid fan bases in the

May 1, 2019, 11:32 PM

and entitled

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 29, 2019, 3:41 PM

I think only due to fanbases and schools in the SEC, they do tend to show up for big games and get excited about football. Playing Wake and Duke and GT just doesn't show the same level of love for the game.

But the SEC as a whole, we don't need them at all. I think back when they won like 7 in a row everyone in other conferences thought that it was hopeless unless you were in the SEC but we have shown as well as Ohio State that it's not the end all be all to win a championship. Oklahoma, if they had a defense would also have won one.

Clemson does not belong in the SEC.

Apr 29, 2019, 4:18 PM

And I am glad of that. Here are reasons I love the ACC:

The ACC offers competitive football for Clemson against rivals we have been playing for decades. The games we play with Virginia, UNC, NCSU, Wake, Duke, GT, FSU, VT, BC, Miami are all continuations of rivalries that have existed for decades. We've had our ups and our downs as have most of the other teams, but all the games mean something in a lifelong context.

The ACC is a league of solid universities and the atmosphere most places is collegiate. Clemson has benefited from our association with the better schools in the ACC.

Road trips in the ACC offer variety. Take your wife and kids to a game in Boston, in Louisville, in Pittsburg, in Syracuse, in Atlanta, and in Miami and you'll see a nice cross section of America. Take'em to Wake and you'll see a smaller college. Take'em to Virginia and see Mr. Jefferson's University and home. The variety of environments in the ACC beats the same ole same ole that you get in the Enormous State Universities of the SEC. The SEC is monotonously the same everywhere you go.
Heck, 9 of the SEC schools are in the Central Time zone! Who wants to play a game that starts at 11am Clemson time?

In the last 45 years, Clemson (3), GT (1), Pitt (1) FSU (3) and Miami(5) have won real Nattys. That balance among the teams now in the ACC is at the top of our league. The SEC only has 6 teams who have tallied Nattys over the same period (Bama,Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Tenn) so we are not taking night and day differences in that both leagues have plenty of bottom dwellers who have won zilch on the big stage over the past half century.

Finally, the SEC is Bama and the 13 dwarfs right now. Listen to the SEC network for 4 hours five days a week on the Finebaum Show and it's all Bama all the time.

I am glad we will never be in the SEC. Road trip to Starkville? To TWO Columbias? To Baton Rouge? To Athens? To Gainesville? Thanks but no thanks. Once in a while such a trip is ok. Regularly? Not so much. SC is in the SEC and they've been in that league for going on 20 years. No one in the SEC gives two hoots about SC. No one in the SEC sees SC as a rival. SC will always been the new kid on the block. Same thing happened to Arkansas and it will happen to Missouri and most likely TAMU. And it happened to Penn State and Nebraska as addons to the big ten Who would want to fill such a role?

The ACC is Clemson's league. We are charter members. We've won our 3 nattys from within the ACC. Everyone in the nation concedes our program is no worse than 2nd in the nation right now and some say we are first. So being in the ACC has give Clemson the possibility of being who we are right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spot on, as usual.***

Apr 29, 2019, 5:29 PM

Well said***

Apr 29, 2019, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Clemson does not belong in the SEC. ]

--Henry David Thoreau

THIS x 1000.

Apr 29, 2019, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Clemson does not belong in the SEC. ]

Agree 100%. I can’t stand the SEC and want nothing to do with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I’m on your side

Apr 29, 2019, 3:59 PM

I think we align as an athletic program more with the SEC, plus the additional revenue wouldn’t be a bad thing. Add in more desirable away destinations on a regular basis and it was an easy choice for me.

Apr 29, 2019, 4:00 PM

Absolutely not. Sure, they're good at sports. But they're bad at pretty much everything else. You can line up an ACC school next to every SEC school and it would be better academically. Obviously, the ACC is the king of basketball. And Clemson rules football right now just fine, with good out of conference games and a pretty decent conference. It would be mind-numbingly stupid to join the SEC.

I used to, but not any longer. We are in the best location

Apr 29, 2019, 4:00 PM

possible regarding conference affiliation.
You can't argue with success.

Agree, except the "competitive football across the board."

Apr 29, 2019, 4:02 PM

They do have bigger stadiums and atmospheres, but the 'across the board' competitiveness idea is what is BS. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St, Kentucky, Vandy, Tennessee, SC, and even Florida recently here have been ho-hum. Some have cool stadiums, but football has been as average as other leagues middle/bottom.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

If the ESPNs of the world hyped up ACC football games as

Apr 29, 2019, 5:11 PM

much as SEC, our teams would be higher ranked as well. They will hype us, starting this year. Have to make money for Disney to pay for the ACC Network, or Heads Will Roll. Disney ain't no fairy tale. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the ESPNs of the world hyped up ACC football games as

Apr 29, 2019, 6:26 PM

I know it's popular to blame ESPN for everything, but ESPN doesn't have anything to do with the size of the football stadiums and the attendance figures which both favor the SEC as a whole compared to the ACC.

Clemson obviously doesn't have a problem here, and FSU does ok, but the rest of the conference doesn't compare. The SEC had 6 teams in the top 10 in the country for attendance in 2018, 8 in the top 15, and 9 in the top 20 compared to 0 in the top 10 for the ACC, and 1(Clemson) in the top 15, and 2 in the top 20(Clemson, FSU) for the ACC.

The SEC has 10 in the overall top 25, and VT at #25 makes 3 for the ACC.

My point is that ESPN talks a lot about the SEC not just because they randomly decided to pimp the SEC, but because that's where the most collective interest is for college football as a whole. How many Wake, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Syracuse, or GT fans do you really think are watching College Gameday each week?

Re: If the ESPNs of the world hyped up ACC football games as

May 3, 2019, 1:25 AM

You make valid points, but it's also a part of hyping their SEC network.

--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 29, 2019, 5:21 PM

Well, perhaps ... but I would be more happy just playing our traditional border rival UGA every year and continuing to play SEC programs from time to time. Far off NY and Boston don't generate the buzz of big-time border and regional rivals. Playing UNCheat more than once a decade could help too. ACC needs to do realignment. Go Tigers!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. I like being a spoiler for the SEC.

Apr 29, 2019, 6:01 PM

I mean which one of us wasn’t pulling for Oregon against Auburn a few years ago?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 6:05 PM

We have been an ACC from the beginning and will always be and I like it .

Apr 29, 2019, 6:08 PM

Five years ago I would have said yes without thinking. There is more parity in CFB now. The ACC and BIG are right there with the SEC. The ACC actually has a winning record head to head the last 5 years or so against the SEC.

The only reason I would be in favor of it would be for the money for the program but hopefully the ACC network will help close the gap.

Of course you would Bill, but you love Bama and the SEC

Apr 29, 2019, 6:28 PM

most Tiger fans are like our coach, Dabo, we don't want to go anywhere!

...and Finebaum***

May 1, 2019, 10:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 6:30 PM

No not at all. We’ve beaten all their best teams. ACC has given us better
Competition if you look at the numbers. Happy where we are and would be sick if we left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1000% no. The ACC is way better.

Apr 29, 2019, 7:44 PM

Give me interesting destinations over bigger stadiums. Besides, Vandy is about on par with Duke and Wake and Kentucky is on par with GT.

I would much rather play in a conference with six schools within a few hours of us, and the other schools being in interesting locations like Louisville, Miami, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.

Nothing about the SEC is interesting to me, except watching their fans implode when we beat their flagship.

null

Apr 29, 2019, 7:49 PM

No way would I want us to leave the ACC for the SEC.

However, the SEC has certain advantages that I think are undeniable. Those advantages are just not enough to move the needle for me, for many of the reasons already posted by others.

SEC Advantages (as I see them): Revenue. When USC makes more money from their pathetic participation in the SEC than we do as the key income-producer in the ACC, our conference really should evaluate its payouts. But maybe the new network will help. If it doesn't, and the conference never re-evaluates its payout, I'm still in favor of staying in the ACC--but the huge $$ flowing into that scab-ridden eyesore campus in Columbia might force Clemson to re-evaluate conference affiliation somewhere around 2030.

Attendance: As pointed out, few schools in the ACC have serious stadiums. Part of a rivalry is putting 10K of your own fans into your opponents' stadium--without drowning them out. When "THEM" can only put 20K into the stadium to see the defending national champions play your hometown gladiators of the gridiron...put it this way, those other teams deserve a lot more support than they're getting.

2018 Record: after several years of talking smack they couldn't back up, the SEC actually had a banner year on the field in 2018. AS A CONFERENCE, THE SEC ONLY LOST 6 OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES ALL SEASON. But the coaches apparently can't motivate their players to show up for post season games, because they lost just as many games in December and January--and looked bad doing it--as they had all season. It's as though the players believe the regular season games really do mean more. Forget the spotlight. It's the scouts we care about!

Compare that to the ACC, who went 3-14 in OOC games vs Power 5 teams (2 of the wins were by Clemson), lost 4 more to Group of 5 and would have lost 2 more had the games not been cancelled by a hurricane. Then the ACC lost 5 more in bowl season.

Yes, I know that the ACC has averaged better than 3-1 record vs. the SEC on Rivalry weekend of late. But last year's collapse to 1-3 looked transitional. None of the ACC teams even remotely looked respectable, Mullen clearly is rebuilding FL faster than Taggart is FSU, Louisville is always an unreliable ambassador, and the jury is very far out on Collins at GT.

Like I said: no reason to change. But I reserve the right to re-consider by 2030.

Here is the real story on how good the SEC is.

May 2, 2019, 7:43 AM

The SEC is solid football league. They have a lot of fans and many big stadiums. They make a lot of money. The SEC had more picks than any other conference in the draft again this year. Yesterday I heard several talking heads touting the SEC.

OK, so it's the best league. How much better is the SEC than the other Power 5 leagues?

In the years 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, SEC teams played 113 games against teams from the other Power 5 conferences, winning 61 of those games for a winning percentage of 54%. That is tantalizingly close to breaking even outside their own league over a 5 year period. That seems a long way from domination to me. But Bama did win 2 Natty's in those five seasons.

By comparison, the ACC played 118 games against the other Power 5 conferences over the same period of time, winning only 55 of those games for only a 47% winning percentage when playing other big boy leagues. Again, 47% is close to breaking even, but it is worse than the SEC did. And Clemson did win 2 Natty's in those five seasons.

But the Big 10 is interesting. Over the same five years, Big 10 teams played 106 games against the other Power 5 conferences, wining 58 of them for a winning percentage of 57%. That's startling since no one says the Big 10 is the best conference. Oh, and the Big 10 did win 1 Natty in those five years.

Going against the grain and consensus opinion, based on about 100 games out of conference by the SEC, Big Ten and ACC, I don't think there is much to strongly identify the SEC as the best league on the field of play. And if the Tigers were to luck up once more and win another Natty..............Well, I am a nervous nellie and karma just won't let me go there.

BTW, all the numbers of wins and losses in my post come from Colley's Bias Free Matrix for college football. Someone wrote that the SEC only lost 6 games out of conference in 2018, but that is bogus.
The SEC was 14-9 over the last football season against Power 5 opposition. I find it interesting that the ACC played 5 more games against the other Power 5 leagues than the SEC over the last five years. And it is also interesting that the Big 10 actually has a better record against out of conference Power 5 teams over the last five years than the SEC.

In summary, the SEC is very slightly better than the Big 10 and the ACC over the past 5 years. That margin in entirely and only due to the play of Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is the real story on how good the SEC is.

May 2, 2019, 11:53 AM

You are using a 5-year spread, because statistically you prevent outliers that way.

Yet you include Bowl games and CFP games, which by definition are outliers.

I have no problem agreeing that the B1G is under respected, but until they start to show up under the bright lights, they will always be under respected. Stats in a spreadsheet don't talk louder than 31-0.

Meanwhile, i stand by the stat: 14 SEC teams lost a total of 6 regular season out of conference games in 2018. That doesn't mean their schedules were overly difficult; in fact, they weren't. But they consistently took care of business. At the same time, the ACC was abysmal out of conference in 2018. And our ACC brethren lost games so ineptly that the 2018 performance looked like it could be trend-setting.

Hopefully 4 years from now your 5-year stats will show that the needle hasn't moved. I fear it already has. Personally i fear that Taggart, Fuentes, etc will need a few years to bring their programs back and restore the conference respectability that Clemson is carrying virtually alone.

Rw43......All the games count.

May 2, 2019, 12:27 PM

Texas beating Georgia counts.Clemson beating Bama counts. Virginia thumping South Carolina counts. Unranked Iowa beating #18 Mississippi State counts. Come to think of it,the post-season counts more than the handpicked, prescheduled regular season games. Discounting the post-season is a Heisman like bit of nonsense. Playing non-conference post-season games, the Big Bad SEC went 6-6. That's about as average as possible,no matter what lame excuses the SECers want to bring up.(The ACC went 6-5 in the post-season.)

You can stand by your stat if you like, but the SEC lost the following 9 games last year against big league competition:

1. Tennessee 14, West Virginia 40
2. Vanderbilt 38, Baylor 45
3. Missouri 33, Oklahoma St 38
4. Georgia 21, Texas 28
5. Miss State 22, Iowa 27
6. Texas A&M 26, Clemson 28
7. South Carolina 35, Clemson 56
8. South Carolina 0, Virginia 28
9. Alabama 16, Clemson 44

Why would you want to go with a carefully selected stat that overstates the strength of SEC when it goes out of conference against other Power 5 teams? And why echo the common SEC BS about not being motivated to play out of conference games?

The scores stand. They were real games. The games in no way were outliers.

Re: Rw43......All the games count.

May 2, 2019, 12:46 PM

Exactly Right! All the games count and to dismiss them would be wrong!

If the story is: "top to bottom this conference is so strong it deserves the benefit of the doubt" then you absolutely count those "L's"!

SEC s uks! But, for Nick Saban and Urban Meyer the current image of the conference would be vastly different. Two dudes oh and Cam Newton at Auburn that one year! FSU a lowly ACC team beat them in a BCS game to win a NC. The last 4 meetings in NC games where it was ACC vs. SEC the ACC is 3 - 1. Don't sound weak to me at all!

Re: Rw43......All the games count.

May 2, 2019, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Rw43......All the games count. ]

I don't "choose" my stats based on which makes my case. Neither should you.

Since the NCAA considers postseason as continuation of the regular season, fine. It is the SEC coaches' fault that they cannot motivate their players for bowl games, and that they publicly go on record that a bowl invitation is nothing more than an opportunity to get their younger players extended practice time. Not my problem, though it is part of the reality.

Actually winning the bowl games apparently only matters to the fans.

However, why do you get to use W-L records from Jimbo Fisher's era at FSU to make your case? That FSU program doesn't exist anymore.

In fact, we can celebrate the ACC's record vs SEC on Rivalry weekend since the last conference expansion:
2014 4-0
2015 3-1
2016 3-1
2017 3-1

2018 1-3

all we want to but none of those ACC coaches that were coaching thru 2017 are still at those programs. Besides Dabo.

The next 4 years will prove that 2018 was not the outlier. I hope I'm proven wrong, but the ACC needs to get with it or this conversation will happen every year. And the evidence will accumulate to prove the trend, while you quote stats from "the last six years", and then " the last seven years", etc.

The greatest outlier either of us has mentioned is Clemson. That's awesome for us. But don't ignore the trends affecting the rest of our league.

Rw43, you are reaching.

May 2, 2019, 6:37 PM

Florida,Georgia,Tenn,Missouri,Ole Miss, Miss State,Arkansas......and a bunch of other teams have had different coaches over the last 5 years. But the SEC league record is what it is. Similarly the FSU wins and losses are ACC wins and losses even if Jimbo takes a different job. I am not saying FSU is going to be good in the future.

My point, proven by the record of performance on the field is that the SEC has not been particularly dominant in football over the last 5 years. Since that league has not proved superior by any significant margin on the field of play, it makes no sense for anyone, especially Clemson fans, to continue to act like that league is way better than everyone else. The SEC has not been way better than the rest of college football over the last five years.

Frankly there is no way to look at what has actually happened on the field of play for anyone to talk much at all about how superior that league is. I have no idea why you wish to advance that bs when I've shown you the actual records of the SEC, the Big 10 and the ACC. I could list all the games,but that would be a waste of time.

Let's give it a rest. I made my point. Folks can read and think whatever they want to think.

Re: Rw43, you are reaching.

May 3, 2019, 12:11 AM

By your own admission, the SEC was superior to the rest of the ACC in 2018.

I used statistics to show it was much superior; you countered to show that over the last 5 years, it was only marginally superior.

My original opinion was that the SEC outperformed the ACC on the field and in revenue-sharing in 2018, and it wasn't close. And my closing point was that, if these trends continue, my strong preference to remain in the ACC may need to be reevaluated in 10 years.

I don't believe any of your assurances that the ACC wasn't really that bad or that the SEC isn't really getting rich off the SEC Network. I have the stats. You can cite all the 5-year stats you want, but you haven't acknowledged the 5-year money train.

This time next year, I'll feel bad for the ACC brethren, but i won't lose any sleep if all 14 SEC teams finish the year #2-15 in the polls. So long as Clemson is #1.

FSU and VT won't wait years for a winning program

May 3, 2019, 1:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the real story on how good the SEC is. ]

They will find coaches who can win.

--Henry David Thoreau

For What though?

Apr 29, 2019, 8:36 PM

I get the reasoning "right now"! But, that would get old quick!
I could see if we were in the Boise St. or UCF situation and "no matter how good we did; we couldn't win it"! But, we aren't!

We have been able to get there. FSU has been able to get to BCS and Playoffs from within the ACC. In short, because it does not hamper our ability to compete for national titles!

So, it makes no sense unless your motive is "bigger stadiums to visit"!

Apr 29, 2019, 10:29 PM

Don't agree with you this time Bill. However, I would never flame you, I just assume it's do to early happy hour. ; )

Apr 29, 2019, 10:53 PM

Yeah, all those SEC team were really competitive with Bama last year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 12:51 AM

As much as I love football and other sports, I love the academics that CLEMSON and the ACC offers even more. We win more against SECondplace teams than some of the SECondplace teams actually win against each other, so we get more action against their BEST teams than most of their other teams do.

No need to be SECondplace when you can be FIRST.

Apr 30, 2019, 12:58 AM

For football reasons I would like it as a fan. I've been to Athens, Auburn, College Station, and plan on working my way down the ACC and SEC list, but they just do the tailgating and pre-game/postgame right as fans. Obviously a road game in The Swamp is way cooler than a road trip to Winston-Salem, no matter if Florida is 9-0 or 2-7 going in to the game. But I also hate the SEC and I hate the love fest their fans have for that conference.

First, why does everyone who wants to knock the ACC act like we play WF every week?

Apr 30, 2019, 6:57 AM

It’s always “I’d rather play Alabama and Texas A&M than Wake and Duke!” Wouldn’t “I’d rather play Bama and Texas A&M than FSU and Miami” be more fair? Or “I’d rather play Kentucky and Vandy than Wake or Duke”?

Second, and this is just me, the Wake game is fun. It’s a quick road trip where a Clemson fan can get tickets close to the field for relatively cheap and watch their Tigers play. I like it. I don’t need every stadium in the ACC to hold 80,000 to value the experience.

null

Re: First, why does everyone who wants to knock the ACC act like we play WF every week?

May 1, 2019, 10:55 PM

I just appreciate fans that actually show up and cheer on their team even if they suck. I'd rather go to Fayetteville, Arkansas than some other ACC towns where their stadium holds 50k but only 20,000 of their fans are in the seats

I would for the money.

May 1, 2019, 10:59 PM

I don't care about a stronger SOS or a bigger stadium. Big, little, loud or quiet doesn't matter and even the dome at Cuse doesn't bother me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way

May 1, 2019, 11:18 PM

I want clemson in a conference where I never have to drive more than 4 hrs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 1, 2019, 11:40 PM

Something I never see in these discussions is that if we were in the SEC, the Coot game would have to be scheduled out for a few years. And we would only see them in the SECCG if they ever got to it again, which doesn't seem likely.

May 1, 2019, 11:49 PM

Nope , Dabo already has their hearts ... and he's making their top teams an afterthought.

DB23

the offensive diversity of the ACC is what has our defense

May 1, 2019, 11:59 PM

Ready for the CFP. I think it helps get us prepared. The QB play is better in the ACC than the SEC.

Look at all the ACC QBs with long pro careers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of academics..I'm just going to leave this here

May 2, 2019, 12:22 AM

https://twitter.com/NCAAFootball/status/1123648343056506883

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Speaking of academics..I'm just going to leave this here

May 2, 2019, 8:40 AM

ACC: 4, SEC 1 (and that is Vandy... does it count?)

I keep coming back to adding a school located in Maryland... and with Navy also on that list, why not? You dont need to be a "power" to be included, just decent. Look at how the SEC added bottom dwellers (Coots, A&M, Arky) and they are better for it.

The APR award winners are interesting.

May 2, 2019, 9:01 AM

I am tickled that Clemson is among the best schools in the country when it comes to the academic progress made by the athletes who represent us in sports.

Georgia and Florida are fine schools. Why in the world are those two programs not among the leaders in the APR leaders in the country? I guess academics just mean less at SEC schools.

Academics certainly mean more in the ACC. Here's how the SEC and ACC stack up academically according to USNWR:

Duke
..........Vandy
Virginia
Wake
UNC-CH
Ga Tech
..........Florida
BC
..........Georgia
Syracuse
Miami
Clemson
..........TAMU
FSU
Pitt
Va Tech
NCSU
..........SC
..........Auburn
..........Tenn
..........Bama
..........Missouri
..........LSU
..........KY
..........ARK
..........Miss
Louisville
..........Miss State

I would rather be where we are, than where SEC is.

SEC is a one trick pony! Two if LSU ever gets an offense!

May 2, 2019, 1:03 PM

The SEC west is supposed to be the best conference(not division) in the country. Yet, it really has little to no parody about it the past several years! It's Alabama!
Drop Alabama from the mix and you have a conference that is still good. But, nothing like you see now! Take Nick Saban out with the wins at Alabama and the one at LSU and your really hurting. Urban Meyer at Florida - contributed to the SEC is great thing: but the same man was busting teams up at Utah when they were a Mountain West team and couldn't compete for championships. Same man won one at O 31 0 st. Including beating Alabama as a representative of the Big 10 in the CFP. With a 3rd string QB.
The soft headed "easily manipulated" believe the SEC hype! And, that's all.
Top to bottom those teams over there often "struggle offensively"! Which often make their defenses look better than they are.
I mean, Dak Prescott was the last big name QB to come from that conference right? ACC still has Russell Wilson,(graduated from NCSU before Wisconsin plus 3 years starter), Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Deshawn Watson(DW4), Jameis Winston, Daniel Jones and Ryan Finley just got drafted and I think both will be starters one day. Jacoby Brisett even started some for New England and Indy. Lamar Jackson is pretty much the starter now in Baltimore.
It's over-hyped because of the "fan hysteria"! Lots of excitement for it; I agree! They tailgate well! Their stadiums are bigger! Agreed. Their fans are concerned more and ask more questions about their team: Very passionate interest about the teams!
But, you cannot say just based on all that passion and enthusiasm for their team that all the teams in the SEC are good! You can't!
Saying that is like: "giving all the kids a participation trophy"!

So has the Big 10 conference taken the same hit as the ACC? Because over the last 20 years it's been Ohio St or nobody. Maybe Michigan got one in around 99; not sure. But, FSU and Clemson has won; meaning more parody. How does the Big 10 still retain it's posture as a football conference? Passionate fans who care? Interest?
None of that makes a difference when you line up on the "actual football field"!

May 2, 2019, 12:31 AM

I like exactly where we are. It's working out great.

May 2, 2019, 10:31 PM

Yes. Play UGA and SC every year. That would be fun.

No, have pride tha ACC has better class and academics!***

May 3, 2019, 12:29 AM

Re: We yap about the SEC, but tell the truth, would you want Clemson in it for FB?***

Re: We yap about the SEC, but tell the truth, would you want Clemson in it for FB?***

May 3, 2019, 9:56 AM

Wow - can’t believe you made this post - LBB !! Didn’t I warn you watching Finebaum would mess up your mind ?!? -:D

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic