Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Muschamp came close to being - GONE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Muschamp came close to being - GONE

Apr 19, 2019, 9:46 AM

Last year, only 9 points kept SCar from being 4&8. Don't know if "Beak" fans would've accepted that.

I know - a win is win - and CU was only 6 points away from going a mere 11&2 (yuk yuk).

SCar beat Mizzou 37-35. Beat two 5&7 teams - Tenn 27-24 & Ole Miss 48-44. Flip those scores around & the Beaks finish 4&8 - and PERHAPS (bad for us) - Muschamp might have been tossed.

But, give 'em credit for finding a way to win those 3. As Dabo has said - don't care if it's by 1 point...just win.

Still, I'm guessing 4&8 might have stopped the clock on Muschamp.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Muschamp came close to being - GONE

Apr 19, 2019, 9:53 AM

Well let’s count us lucky. I hope they give him a lifetime contract.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:11 AM

Credit where Credit is Due, he has done the best with what he has to work with. Jake Bentley is not exactly Deshawn, or Trevor, or Tajh, Kelly or even Chad Kelly for that matter. I and from the bottom of my heart I hope they improve to get back to top 25 status so the Game means something. Will make stomping them that much better...

Only a faux fan hopes the stupid coots win any game ever

Apr 19, 2019, 10:25 AM

Much less end up being ranked. Who cares if that game means anything from a national relevancy standpoint. It still means plenty if you lose it. Would likely cost us the playoffs. Hows that for "meaningful" Screw that God-forsaken fan base. The most delusional, sorry excuse for football fans ever assembled. If they never witness another win for all eternity, it will be too soon.

Re: Only a faux fan hopes the stupid coots win any game ever

Apr 19, 2019, 12:32 PM

AGREED!

Apr 19, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Muschamp came close to being - GONE ]

The best with what he's had? He's had 3 full classes of his own recruits, and 3 years to coach up the ones who were already on the roster. The weakest part of that roster has been the defense, and he's supposed to be a great defensive coach.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:42 AM

Yeah, and keep in mind that there is no floor to coot football. They could be 0 for all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football_team

(side note "winsipedia" crashed when selecting South Carolina football to provide a link, apparently typing in wins and south carolina causes binary code to fail)

I give muscoot credit. Being 7-6 is about as well as they can do. Coaching them is like being the lifeguard on the Titanic. Sure, you have a whistle, but only the dark abyss awaits.

Apr 19, 2019, 2:30 PM

I don't like Spurrier very much, but the job he did at South Carolina really solidifies his legacy as a great football coach. To think that he never had a losing season there until the final year when he quit, and that he managed 3 straight 11 win seasons, and 4 straight of at least 9 wins is amazing. South Carolina has finished in the AP top 25 only 9 times in the history of their program, and Spurrier coached 4 of those teams. They've finished in the top 10 only 3 times, and Spurrier was the coach for all 3 of them.

Apr 19, 2019, 2:34 PM

An interesting note related to my post above. Dabo has the same number of top 25 seasons(9) in his career as South Carolina does during the entire history of their program. Dabo has 5 top 10 seasons compared to only 3 during the entire history of the South Carolina football program.

You could easily keep going from there by comparing 10 win seasons and championships, but I won't bother.

No. The SEC east is still way down.

Apr 19, 2019, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Muschamp came close to being - GONE ]

Remember this is the same coach that lost at Florida. He had plenty of time down there to get it right. He had the recruiting but what he doesn’t have is the ability to be a head coach. Him getting hired at SC has been comical. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. The SEC east is still way down.

Apr 19, 2019, 2:45 PM

And the list of excuses people make for him is a mile long. At Florida it was the injuries and not having the right OC. That's as if he had no control over who his OC was.

At South Carolina it's because Spurrier didn't bother to recruit during his last couple of years, even though the classes were ranked in the top 25. Then again this past season people also used the injuries as an excuse.

Obviously there are times where a team may have a lot of misfortune during a season with injuries and close losses. I'm sure Dabo will eventually have another tough season where things just don't go our way for whatever reason.

However, when you've coached for 7 full seasons as Muschamp has, then eventually you are what your record says you are. It's much like it was for Tommy Bowden. We were always 1 play away, one game away, or one recruiting class away. Eventually though 10 years had passed, and it was obvious we were always going to be somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3 under him.

In 7 seasons he's now 50-38, and 29-27 in the SEC. That's even with the year at Florida when he went 11-2, and 7-1 with a team that took advantage of a very down SEC. Without that season he is only 39-36 overall, and 22-26 in the SEC in his other 6 seasons. He's much like Tommy Bowden IMO. He's not the worst coach in the world, but he's far from being a great coach as well. He may get lucky enough to put together a 9-3 or 10-2 season with the right schedule, but overall he's just going to be average and stuck in the 6-6 and 8-4 range.

Re: No. The SEC east is still way down.

Apr 19, 2019, 3:44 PM

Don't knock Tommy like that.

Tommy could beat the in-state rival AND run up the score.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Muschamp came close to being - GONE ]

Tbonetoo® said:

Credit where Credit is Due, he has done the best with what he has to work with. Jake Bentley is not exactly Deshawn, or Trevor, or Tajh, Kelly or even Chad Kelly for that matter. I and from the bottom of my heart I hope they improve to get back to top 25 status so the Game means something. Will make stomping them that much better...

Defending Muschamp, spelling the GOATs name wrong, and hoping for U of SC to be top 25? This post wont be kind to you.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Apr 19, 2019, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Muschamp came close to being - GONE ]

Will never hope the coots win anything.....I am hoping they pull another Loser Holtz and finish 0 - 12 next season while we go 15 - 0 again and win another national championship......now that would be the icing on the cake......Go Tigers!!!!!!

Apr 19, 2019, 10:40 AM

Why do you think Dabo allowed UofSuc to continue scoring late in our game? He wants WM to remain at UofSuc forever, or until they 'cycle in', whichever comes first.

Apr 19, 2019, 12:28 PM

I’ll take “Forever for $500” Alex.

You don't think the "win" at Clemson would have saved him?

Apr 19, 2019, 11:00 AM

LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They wouldn't have fired him.***

Apr 19, 2019, 12:38 PM

Re: They wouldn't have fired him.***

Apr 19, 2019, 1:45 PM

I for one hope the coots lose every game they play in every sport. At one point in time it did not matter to me if they won or lost and even pulled for them from time to time depending on what team they were playing. Losing 5 in a row changed me forever. Dealing with their mouthy delusional fan base for 5 years was terrible, but I must say it made the last 5 years that much more awesome.

Only time I can think that I might possibly pull for the coots would be if we needed a team in any sport ranked higher than us to lose so we make a playoff and the coots were playing them. Beyond that I want Hootie to keep signing for them after 6 wins in football and politicians to continue to congratulate them for 2nd place finishes in bowl games.

Apr 19, 2019, 2:10 PM

Remember the season they went 9-3?

They won 6 games on the final possession that year. They could just as easily have been 3-9, but they weren't. But the bounceback was inevitable, and IMO hasn't fully happened yet. So Tanner will probably hang onto him until it does.

Besides, i think they keep Mus until an upgrade is available. Last time their HC vacancy was not timed well, and the whole world knows Mus was not even on Page 1 of their list of coaching prospects. I think the next one will be based on the availability of their prime candidate regardless of Mus' performance.

Who they would ever consider to be their prime candidate is another question entirely.

Apr 19, 2019, 2:21 PM

By the time Muscoot is gone, Jim McElwain could be a target. DJ Dirkin would be another choice. Randy Shannon, Willie Taggert, Dave Doeren. Heck, they might get Malzahan if they are lucky.

I think the Coots will have a lot of recently fired coaches in the SE.

Maybe they hit gold and can convince Kiffin to coach them. Sure, it is a step down from FAU but he could get to may Tennessee. Trolling UT is how they got their last coach.

We should pay U of SuCk to keep him

Apr 19, 2019, 3:23 PM

He's a good fit for them and for us!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2019, 4:02 PM

Our success is the best thing to ever happen to South Carolina. We have extended our recruiting range all across the country. When our recruiting base was primarily in the Southeast, we always out recruited the Gamecocks. Now that our recruiting range has been extended, the Gamecocks are recruiting those players that in prior years, would have been on our recruiting board. Their current roster includes several players we would have accepted in years past.

Based on this fact alone, we can expect an improvement in their talent level but, unless there is a drastic change they will never be able to approach our level of recruitment and talent. The gap is still there and possibly widening.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic