Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As a Hunter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

As a Hunter

Nov 1, 2018, 7:43 AM

I advocate population control of wildlife all the time.

But I was thinking, Does it make me a hypocrite because the one population I (and no one else really) advocates for is controlling the human population? We are overpopulating and pissing through resources like its our first night in vegas after winning the powerball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you suggesting we should control the human population?

Nov 1, 2018, 7:52 AM

What exactly would that look like?

null

Re: Are you suggesting we should control the human population?

Nov 1, 2018, 7:53 AM

Abortion and Condoms. The dynamic duo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have that now, and those are both personal choices.

Nov 1, 2018, 8:00 AM

I think the OP is discussing enforcing human population control and I’m curious as to what that would look like. Government control of reproduction? How strict? Financial penalties like tax I creases for multiple children? Or forced abortions?

I’m just curious where his head is with the question.

null

Oh I definitely dont have a solution

Nov 1, 2018, 8:11 AM

But as a hunter we talk about controlling the animal population so they don't eat themselves to extinction. But us humans just get to #### our way through resources and build concrete jungles because someone is getting rich and gaining power from it. At least that's my theory, or else we would've implemented some type of population control a long time ago when the global warming stuff started.

Maybe start with the heinous prisoners and "castrate" them.

I also personally do not support abortion but I can be open minded enough to realize that it is a lot of freakin people. So if they were here it's likely they would not be the best contributors to society. I mean, not like their parents started out on the path to world class parenting.

Aside from prisoners and people who voluntarily have abortio

Nov 1, 2018, 8:20 AM [ in reply to We have that now, and those are both personal choices. ]

there is no way the govt can regulate it in a good way. I personally think the government reaches too far as it is. This is much more of a cultural issue. As a culture you would have to make this a bigger part of your beliefs. And the welfare system does not help, I mean you are subsidizing people who have already proven they either don't care to have a job or have fallen into hard times and just can't get out. And for the latter, having more kids is not any way to bring yourself and your family up out of poverty.

I don't have any statistics but I would almost guarantee that with increased household income family size would decrease. I don't see many 4,5 and 6 child families over in the "million dollar lot" section of town, but go over to the Section 8 and government housing and see how many children some people have. I know, I grew up around it, and I have family in it.

As a culture we need to see how selfish it is to have 5 kids and realize that we are failing our descendants by not controlling ourselves.

I'd like to see a tax credit for NOT having children.***

Nov 1, 2018, 11:47 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Population growth in developed countries is shrinking

Nov 1, 2018, 8:48 AM

In almost every 1st world country, the rate of growth of the population is shrinking due to the availability and proliferation of birth control. The United States population was growing at 1.7% in 1960, and that's down to 0.71% today. Japan even has a negative population growth, now.

Source: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.GROW

Only developing nations are outgrowing their resources. I think we just need to play the waiting game to get these countries developed, and things will even themselves out.

Actually, it's just as likely due to falling sperm counts.

Nov 1, 2018, 8:53 AM

A rising problem across the western world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because now men would rather

Nov 1, 2018, 9:02 AM

Sit at a desk, never workout or do any physical activity, drink every day, and eat a crap diet

Thats my plan***

Nov 1, 2018, 11:41 AM

Source?***

Nov 1, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Actually, it's just as likely due to falling sperm counts. ]

Here. Pick one.

Nov 1, 2018, 12:59 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=falling+sperm+count&oq=falling+sperm+count&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j0l4.2639j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand that

Nov 1, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Population growth in developed countries is shrinking ]

and i did not know that, but you cannot honestly tell me that more and more people is in any way, good for the future as far as our impact on the earth is concerned.

and we are at about 7 acres per person in the US.

That is not a lot of land per person.

Message was edited by: JGT®

Also realize

Nov 1, 2018, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Population growth in developed countries is shrinking ]

That a lot of the population comes from people having 10+ kids in the farmland in the early-mid 20th century so that they could have help on the farm. Now those kids have gone on to have kids and so on down the line.

My Great Grandmother had 13 kids, 70+/- grand kids, and in my generation?..... 380+ at her death and probably well over 400 now.

And I have no clue about her siblings but I can only imagine.

but before then in the 1800s, nobody had more than a couple of children at most because they could not support that many people and it was likely medically and physically impossible/unlikely.

We reached peak child a few years ago. Population growth is

Nov 1, 2018, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Population growth in developed countries is shrinking ]

To make it go faster, increase the availability of free birth control. You're not going to get people to stop #######.

Or we can have a new plague

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I've done all I can do.

Nov 1, 2018, 11:44 AM

None of my 3 siblings have kids, and neither do I. As I am the youngest, chances are I'll die out last. And when I do, my families lineage is over. My father was an only child as well, so his branch of our family comes to an end.

You're welcome, world!

As a hunter and a human I've noticed

Nov 1, 2018, 8:52 AM

Hunting to control a population is not nearly as effective as when nature decides to control a population. Take deer as an example. My favorite game to hunt.

in the 80's I hunted all the time. I'd kill 5 deer a year. Our club killed 120-150 deer each year. Deer were everywhere. We slaughtered them for over a decade, telling ourselves we were doing what's best to control an obvious overpopulation of deer. We were killing 100lb 8-point bucks. Deer were very small in the lowcountry. Less deer in the upstate and they were bigger and healthier. ANYWAY, no matter the hunting pressure we could apply, there were more and more deer, and smaller and less healthy deer, each year.

Then enter the coyote. When they started appearing the deer nearly vanished. Within 5-8 years we went from more deer than you could shoot, to hardly any. Now the population has rebounded a little bit, and the deer are MUCH larger, and healthier. The coyote did what a million hunters in SC could never do.

As for humans, nature will take care of us some day. Ebola will go airborne. Flu pandemic. Something will happen that we can't control of fix and we will be culled. It won't be by an animal, but by some type of bacteria or virus. PROMISE.

The coyote just helped control the population year round

Nov 1, 2018, 9:05 AM

While I agree nature is the best thing to control nature, we are way past just being "natural". Very few areas of the world are still truly wild and untouched. Human interference is constant and in many cases a necessity. We can't just reintroduce wolves and mountain lions everywhere they used to be.

Completely disagree. We are as much a part of nature as any

Nov 1, 2018, 9:17 AM

living thing. We can fight nature only so long. But I'd wager nature will take care of us long before we use up Earth's resources. Ebola is just one genetic mutation away from killing billions. There are flu variants that out there that are just one genetic mutation away from killing billions. There are bacteria out there now resistant to ALL antibiotics. In the end, we're toast one way or another. And long before we run out of resources or nuke the world with global warming.

We've been on a long winning streak (100 years almost), which is actually a blip in terms of evolution and nature. But nature always wins and always will. Find a human who never dies, and then you'll have victory.

We are far from natural if you

Nov 1, 2018, 10:34 AM

look at it in terms of survival. We figured out not just how to survive but to thrive. And in doing so we have nothing to keep us in check but ourselves and in my mind that makes us "un-natural" in the sense that we don't necessarily help nature more than we harm it.

Re: As a Hunter

Nov 1, 2018, 11:56 AM

We are controlling it through abortion.

And if we are are going to allow those we may as well start thinning the human herd starting with those on welfare and disability.

We could erase the national debt in no time....

Re: As a Hunter

Nov 1, 2018, 11:58 AM

that is kind of how our economy was set up to function. It works best when there are more of us and we are wasteful, throw crap out, then have new crap shipped to us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ummm plenty of people advocate for population control.

Nov 1, 2018, 2:11 PM

Antinatalists.

Very popular position among the effete, educated elites.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic