Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense

Feb 6, 2019, 9:28 AM

These guys want 25-30 touches a game. You arent gonna get that in our offense. I'll take all of these *5 QBs and WRs over RBs every single time. Until Bama or anyone proves they can stop our passing attack(lol), no reason to sweat these RBs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense

Feb 6, 2019, 9:32 AM

Baloney. UGa signs studs who know they'll be in a rotation and never get that many carries.

They also run a power run offense

Feb 6, 2019, 9:33 AM

The reason they dont get the Elite QBs and WRs like we do....

They don't get elite QBs? They've had three 5*s in a row

Feb 6, 2019, 9:37 AM

Easton > Fromm > Fields

*Eason***

Someone once said...

Feb 6, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to They don't get elite QBs? They've had three 5*s in a row ]

those stars mean nothing. I think your list is an example.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson and Lawrence say hi

Feb 6, 2019, 9:45 AM [ in reply to They don't get elite QBs? They've had three 5*s in a row ]

Big misses by UGA

Whether or not they pan out is an entirely different

Feb 6, 2019, 9:55 AM

debate. You said we don't sign big-time RBs just like UGA doesn't sign big-time QBs except they DO actually sign big-time QBs.

2 of those bust no longer play at UGA

Feb 6, 2019, 10:01 AM

Watson and Lawrence were cant miss and UGA lost them to us and our QB friendly offense.

You are changing the argument here. You said we

Feb 6, 2019, 10:07 AM

can't land 5* RBs just like UGA can't land 5* QBs. That is false. They have definitely landed plenty of 5* QBs. Whether or not they pan out once they are there is completely irrelevant to that argument.

And those "busts" at UGA are likely going to be starting at Washington (Eason) and Ohio State (Fields) next year so you might want to pump the brakes on calling them busts right now - especially Fields.

We've had plenty of QBs transfer recently too, including 5* Hunter Johnson who's probably going to start at Northwestern next year. Is he a bust too? Or is he just not as good as Trevor Lawrence?

I said ELITE QBs

Feb 6, 2019, 10:10 AM

They may have *5 star QBs, but none are Elite(see Watson and Lawrence)

Re: They don't get elite QBs? They've had three 5*s in a row

Feb 6, 2019, 10:18 AM [ in reply to They don't get elite QBs? They've had three 5*s in a row ]

And two of those are now playing for other schools

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense ]

Agree - Clemson needs one of these big time RB's. Good news is that we've developed a few into being big time. Gallman wasn't too shabby - fought hard for extra yards. ETN grew up a ton this past year and is becoming a solid back. Georgia and Bama tend to trend better in this area as far as their RB's. Derrick Henry? Todd Gurley. One of those guys in our backfield with our marquis QB's and nobody will stop us. Ever.

Bama and UGA run a power run offense

Feb 6, 2019, 9:48 AM

Exactly my point as to why they land the top RBs

Feb 6, 2019, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense ]

I'll agree but we've got a few that any team in the country would love to have. Look at Bama this year ETN had 1 less yard rushing than Bama's top 2 backs on the year. ETN had over 600 yards more than UGA's top RB and our Top 2 had more yards than UGA's top 2. So for anyone to think we cannot get a Top RB is just wrong. Our offense produced more yards rushing than both Bama and UGA this past year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense ]

"ETN grew up a ton this past year and is becoming a solid back. " - that might be somewhat of an understatement. ETN is DA BOMB, and is freaking awesome.

Our depth on RB lowers an RB's carries.

Running backs take a beating when they are consistently overused at any level. We are deep enough to keep RB's healthy and rested so that they are able to run the last carry with equal ability as the first few.

Unfortunately, our blocking requirements limit freshmen RB participation in games and kids want on the field early and often. Kids also think they are 10' tall and bullet proof so there's no overcoming the diva attitudes of many of them. Many are like water and take the path of least resistance.

Many coaches promise them the moon and cater to their delusions. Imo, if they must start before they learn to block or command the play book they belong somewhere else and life can teach them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 9:39 AM

Yea, who would want to rush for 1600+ yards, 20+ TD's, 8+ YPC and win a National Championship or two while saving their body with 15-18 carries per game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 9:49 AM

I just woke up. What am I missing? I thought Ealy is commiting a little later today.

BS... our offense of line is 55-4

Feb 6, 2019, 9:53 AM

In the last 4 years

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are right.. why would a 5 star back want to save his

Feb 6, 2019, 9:55 AM

body and rack up stats like Travis Eteinne? It's crazy, I would want to abuse my body, tear up my knees and tote it 30 times a game to get me ready for the NFL. RB's have a super long shelf life you know?

Bc 17, 18 year olds think rationally...***

Feb 6, 2019, 9:57 AM

Re: you are right.. why would a 5 star back want to save his

Feb 6, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to you are right.. why would a 5 star back want to save his ]

Look at the stats of both Bama and UGA they are doing the same as we are now. they realized that having multiple backs and using them all have been a great strategy and ETN actually had more carries than anyone on either Bama or UGA. But his Yards per carry is much higher. Our team yards per carry is higher than anyone on either Bama or UGA as well. That tells you we are doing much more with less.

Wrong

Feb 6, 2019, 10:15 AM

there are not many 5* rb each year to start with - ETN wasn't a 5* but if he was ranked today he would be

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Feb 6, 2019, 10:16 AM

Tell that to Bama's 3 RBs and their 25 - 30 touches a game. Dude, I believe UGA uses 3 backs as well. That is 6 backs and 2 of those were 3*s. Plenty of room for Clemson to land another 5* RB.

I agree that that's been an issue for us for much of the

Feb 6, 2019, 10:19 AM

Dabo and Bowden eras, but feel that this narrative is changing now and our opportunities are growing as top RB's come to better understand the value of not being overworked as a bellweather back in college, yet having the chance to show off skills and staying power in a more spread out system just the same.

One barrier that still exists though is how important it is for an RB to gain a first round NFL slot to ensure a decent NFL payday for their career. The rules for initial contracts are heavily skewed against RB's, and it is the least paid and shortest lifespan of any other regular position. Once ready for FA after 4 years, they are often underpaid as teams look to young guys and draft picks at lower costs than veteran level.

Being the "dude" on a run heavy team still has its benefits for that first contract. My hope is that ETN will break that mold as a high draft pick and set the stage better for future prospects going forward, but there is still time involved here for that to cycle through.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 10:19 AM

Some of you would rather sign 5* players for bragging rights than win 2 of the last three Natty’s with 3* players who perform like 5* players on the field. You had rather win on the interweb than on the field

Seems silly to me but to each their own

Feb 6, 2019, 10:43 AM

Amen and amen

looking at ETN and Dixon I am trusting our coaches

Feb 6, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: We arent gonna land many *5 RBs with our offense ]

evaluations on these RB's. From my 'eye test', I'd say we are hitting and getting really nice guys who are performing like 5 stars. That's all that really counts in the end amirite?

Feb 6, 2019, 10:35 AM

Recruits see the recent success of guys like Gurley and Michele...I assumed that success of featuring ET a lot more would give us some momentum in backfield recruiting but it wont obviously...especially considering ET ran for over 1500 plus yards...But other recruiters are able to utilize that against us...It is what it is...We are the champs and until someone else proves us differently other wise...Get what we can...I just wish the pro-style would hurry up and freakn die off for god sakes so these kids realize they don't have to go to that scheme to make it to the league

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 6, 2019, 10:48 AM

Tradition trumps the offensive scheme, imo. OU and 0hio St get those backs, too, without the pro style. We had a chance to capitalize off Spiller but our Oline was not on par. We got ETN off 2016's Oline/Gallman and we are in much better shape this time around than any time previously. Slowly but surely we are breaking through to AllU.

boy i've read some dumb things on Tnet...but***

Feb 6, 2019, 10:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: boy i've read some dumb things on Tnet...but

Feb 6, 2019, 10:50 AM

I agree. CTB used to want a couple long runs a year (40 yds plus). Now we have guys that yield several a game. Part of it is better rb talent. Also better wr talent spreads the D more and gives backs room to run after crossing the LOS

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 11:18 AM

Ha! It reminds me of what Yogi Berra used to say about a restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore because it's always so crowded."

How fresh did Etienne look in the CFP?

Feb 6, 2019, 11:21 AM

Instead of being run down and battered when the whole country and all the NFL scouts are watching, it’s probably a wise move to be somewhere where you aren’t the only RB worth a #### in the roster. Share the load in college. The scouts know what you’re about. Get battered on the NFL where you get a paycheck and can see what those bruises are getting you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic