Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was Monday night Nick Saban 's Steve Spurrier moment ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Was Monday night Nick Saban 's Steve Spurrier moment ?

Jan 13, 2019, 8:04 AM

Remember when DW4 and Dabo exorcised the Coot demons and put Spurrier out to pasture ? That 2014 beating we put on them in Death Valley was a great coaching career's death knell .
I watched Nick Saban slumping a lot Monday night . He looked perplexed , and thoroughly beaten ... which he was .
Same things I saw that afternoon in Steve Spurrier .
Changing of the guard type stuff . Real warriors recognize when a younger , hungrier guy has taken their sword and hit them across the face with their own scabbard .
Is Dabo now the king of the hills ? This Dabo fella gets coaches on the hot seat , off the hot seat and into the hall of fame .... and not the way they'd like it to go either .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Was Monday night Nick Saban 's Steve Spurrier moment ?

Jan 13, 2019, 8:23 AM

I don't know if I am ready to "write off" Nick just yet. I still think he would like to pass Bear Bryant's Six National Titles or at least tie him with six. A win this year would have tied him, and actually would have given him one more if you count the one he got at LSU.
I will admit he slumped more than usual, and maybe part of it was the pressure he faces every game as Head Coach. And it just finally showed Monday night.
The perplexed look was a totally different "elephant " altogether.
I don't think anyone expected the "Beat Down" Clemson put on the Tide. I suspect no one who was pulling for Alabama or covering the game saw this one coming. I know I didn't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 8:49 AM

Leftie , did you just say that you were pulling for Alabama ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I think he did***

Jan 13, 2019, 11:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And he looked like he knew it before the game even started.***

Jan 13, 2019, 8:34 AM

He's a mean old grumpy man but he's not dumb.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:19 AM

He saw the film and knew exactly what time it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still think the main reason Spurrier quit in

Jan 13, 2019, 8:42 AM

the middle of the season was that he couldn't stand the thought of losing to Dabo and Clemson again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still think the main reason Spurrier quit in

Jan 13, 2019, 8:47 AM

Totally agree . I have thought that all along . He new the deal ... Dabo had outworked him and I have no doubt his ego wouldn't let it go on .

DB23

Jan 13, 2019, 10:14 AM

I am still wondering why the Ole Ball Coach got a complete pass on leaving his team in the middle of the season. Seems to me, he quit on his team but there was no one calling him out or making a big deal about it.
I can't remember but was there some other big news that day that pushed his quitting off the front page?

Maybe if it had been a medical issue or family thing but none of that has ever surfaced, he just quit on his players with no consequences.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:28 AM

He was called out big time by coot fans when he left, after the beat down and especially when the coots realized the cupboards were left bare of talent.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I still think the main reason Spurrier quit in ]

News broke that the Partridge Family reunion tour had been called off , and people lost focus on anything else .

DB23

Jan 13, 2019, 10:27 AM

Nah. I think Bama will win the national title 2 or 3 more times in the next 6 years or so. and will play for it probably 5 times in the next 6 years. Hopefully we win the next 2 though with TL at the helm I am sure we get at least one in the next 2 years.

quite possibly. He definitely knew he had no answers.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:31 AM

The post-mortem on this game has been intriguing.

None other than Finebaum stated Saban looked defeated on the sidelines Monday night. Then went on to say those in the SEC had quietly whispered that this was his worst-ever staff.

The Process and the Darkness have been overcome by the Light.

IMO his days are numbered but he'll try to go out as a winner and won't quit like Spurrier did.

Message was edited by: ATL PAW MAN®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one more thing: just like in 2016 Saban knew he couldn't beat us straight up

Jan 13, 2019, 10:50 AM

And resorted to fake field goals, going for it on 4th down deep in his own territory, and trying shovel passes. None of that crap worked this time. It did in '16 because we hadn't been there before. I still remember that SOB's snide little smirk after that onside kick. Dabo has wiped that smirk off Saban's face and it's been replaced by dour resignation. Did you see his dismissive hand toss when they decided to go for it on 4th down? He knew it ultimately would not matter. We had the superior team.

Clemson grew from that game in 2016. DW4 was able to will us to victory the next year and our staff covered every weakness that Bama could exploit, such as kickoff coverage. Bama got their revenge in a Sugar Bowl they didn't even deserve to play in last year. Kirby Dumb should already have two wins over Bama and one Natty. But we now have the depth of talent and the coaching experience to beat all comers straight up. Saban's version of Bama's (Bama will be back in another iteration - they always are) day as the Standard in college football is over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: one more thing: just like in 2016 Saban knew he couldn't beat us straight up

Jan 13, 2019, 12:24 PM

The tricks continued in the 2017 game that we won. Remember the throw back wide receiver pass on 3rd and long. If they don’t hit that play Hurts never gets the opportunity to run it in and we would have won in kneel down fashion. Of course, winning with 1 second left was better and way more exciting, but the game would not be remembered as nip & tuck if Bama doesn’t convert another trick play. In retrospect, it’s very interesting that they have really, really needed trick plays to stay with us every year except the Sugar Bowl when we had no passing game.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:35 AM

Nah the recruiting class was empty at SCar in 2015, Saban has another top class coming in... he will be near the top as long as he wants to be (unless he stays as long as Bowden did) but we have caught him... should be fun the next few years.

No, we played a complete game on Monday, save one missed

Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 AM

extra point. We were the better team AND we out coached them.

Alabama will be back. Their recruiting will not drop off. I would imagine that they will be back in the playoffs next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

All Nick needs now is an 'enemies list' and the circle will

Jan 13, 2019, 1:00 PM

be complete.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic