Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wake complaining about Tiger Band
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Wake complaining about Tiger Band

Oct 11, 2018, 9:00 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/issue-during-wake-forest-s-loss-to-clemson-was-addressed/article_ccbf35fb-a591-5d16-8537-e05cdc2f8a35.amp.html

They must not have played GaTech in awhile.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band

Oct 11, 2018, 10:14 PM

Clawson’s inner Doeren coming through. What is it with these North Carolina coaches? Accept your beating like the manginias you are. Unreal the whining......63-3 and 13 out of last 14

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bunch of crybabies. band probably saved Wake from getting

Oct 11, 2018, 10:25 PM

Beat worse. The band kept you from running more unsuccessful plays. Good job tiger band.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band ]

Do you think it's being a coach in central NC or being a coach named Dave that makes them whiny? I'd be willing to bet a majority of their student body doesn't take responsibility for their own mistakes or failures either.

Oct 12, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band ]

Lol and the only game they did win dominoed into a national championship program ??

Oct 11, 2018, 10:20 PM

Look it Clemson band. Drad will run with this

Oct 11, 2018, 10:24 PM

Look out clemson

Oct 11, 2018, 10:24 PM

Band I hate this phone

Oct 12, 2018, 2:04 AM

I know Clemson doesn’t have a music Dept so getting a decent budget is difficult , but for, another topic we should talk about how we as IPTAY members could possibly help the Band or Tigernet members

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Tiger Band is funded by IPTAY

Oct 12, 2018, 6:42 AM

and CUTBA.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Tiger Band is funded by IPTAY

Oct 12, 2018, 3:05 PM

IPTAY does not fund Tiger Band.

IPTAY has only provided 1 type of resource for Tiger Band ever: the uniforms the bad currently wears. IPTAY did this largely as a political move to try and justify a right to control the bands numbers, which didnt work.

IPTAY does allocate a certain number of seats for the band, and they gradually reduce these seats almost every year.

IPTAY provided the band with new uniforms for the first time ever a few years ago. Ever since they gave the band uniforms, they have attempted to claim they have more "authority" over what the band does. Thus far, this has not worked. Every other uniform worn by Tiger Band has been provided by CUTBA.

Tiger Band receives funding from 3 sources:

1. The department budget, which is very very small and barely pays for half of the bands needs. The department budget goes to paying the directors, providing the facilities (sort of) and providing some resources like charter buses, band trip per diem, and music flip folders. The amount of funding the University and the Department provide to the band is utterly dismal. If the football team gets to a big bowl, the department will provide additional funds via IPTAY to charter transportation like planes and such.

2. Private donations. These are received through direct donations to the band which either go through CUTBA or are given to the band directly. These cover the majority of the bands operating expenses. The majority of Tiger Band funding is through donations. This money covers everything else the department budget cant cover. Donations make up the majority of Tiger Band funding. (tiger band has one of the worst band practice fields you will ever see, due to lack of financial support from Clemson).

3. CUTBA. CUTBA works off of donations as well, but these donations are kind of split. Some donations, like the ones above, are in the form of direct monetary contributions to the band. Other donations go directly into the CUTBA accounts which support the band differently. The biggest function of CUTBA-specific donations are for the band endowment to fund scholarships. Behind that, CUTBA provides the instruments, uniforms, local transportation, food, media coverage, outdoor facilities, and more. The renovations for the band field and spirit plaza were all funded by CUTBA. When I was part of CUtBA, I was the one who desinged and implemented the current band tower and Tiger Band sign that currently sits on the field. Clemson University proper did nothing to assist with improving Tiger Band facilities. There is currently a project in the works to replace the Tiger Band field with an artificial field, but Clemson University has all but refused to assist, so a new band field will likely require a few million dollars in private donations to get done.

The band desperately needs a new field. Often I see people criticize Tiger Band for getting formations incorrect during halftime shows. You'll occasionally notice a really crooked line or a formation out of place. This is not because the band members are lazy or subpar, but because the field they practice on is in poor condition due to neglect from the university. The current practice field is not flat, its actually a giant hump. Its not level either, and its filled with run off gulleys, pot holes, rocks, and other things that are actually pretty hazardous to people marching in a formation. Many a band member have twisted their ankles and torn knee ligaments (to the point of requiring surgery, including another band member I dated while in the band) during practice due to the poor state of the band field. Clemson facilities ad IPTAY have been notified of this many times, and even informed when the poor state of the field causes a band member to incur and uneccessary injury. IPTAY ALWAYS blows off the band. They always tell the band they will send a field crew over to the practice field to fill in potholes and remove other hazards. Not once did they ever follow through with it when I was a member. When the band practices on a field that bad, they get really good at marching on a bad field. So, when they go and perform on a good field, the techniques they repeat in practice do not always translate. Their dress points and field references are all off and out of whack, so the final product sometimes is compromised. Tiger Band works very hard and practices as diligently as they can. But, you cant be expected to perform if your practice conditions suck. You cant be expected to win a marathon if the only shoes you can afford to wear are 10 year old flip flops with a broken strap. Same idea here. Dr. Spede is well aware of this ad its one of the biggest issues he is trying to get resolved. Unfortunately, he keeps getting shot down by Clemson who refuses to help. Unfortunately, IPTAY is all about making money, and they see Tiger Band as nothing but a money pit they want no part of.

The band is pretty well covered in terms of instruments and uniforms. They DESPERATELY need a new field, and I think they could even incorporate seating into the band field renovations that could serve multiple purposes. The biggest things you can do to help the band is:

1. Donate donate donate
2. Pressure IPTAY and Clemson to build a new field.

Oct 12, 2018, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band ]

Clemson has a music department but not a School of Music. There is a difference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Oct 12, 2018, 9:16 AM

Tiger Band are all “volunteers “. They are there because they want too. Most all other college bands have members who get scholarships to be in the band.

Amazing! Heard about this offline. This is a real complaint

Oct 12, 2018, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band ]

Clawson was up there in my mind as one of the most respectable coaches in the ACC. I think Addazio(however you spell BC coach last name) stands alone. I like Bronco Mendenhall from his time at BYU. . seems straight up. And, I like Dino Babers! That's about it though.
Richt means well; but can get surprisingly undisciplined at times. Remember the Ga. players antics before one of those Florida games. Multiple times under him.
Oh well! Crazy!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 10:32 PM

Hey Dave, you’re lucky we only brought the pep band, otherwise it might have been 130-3. Pansy.

Oct 11, 2018, 10:38 PM

I guess Clawson (poor loser) can’t hear the disgustingly loud and horrible loudspeakers that Wake plays until the visiting opponent snaps the ball. That fake noise is definitely against all NCAA and even ACC rules ( unless the offender is a school within 100 miles of Greensboro). Leave it to this fine church school to avoid a prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance ( it mentions God of course) during pregame ceremonies. I am surprised that they allowed the Color Guard. This from a holier-than-thou school that now sells beer in their stadium while frat tents inside the gate swill hard liquor openly. What has happened?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um, WF is not affiliated

Oct 12, 2018, 1:44 AM

with the Southern Baptist Convention or any other church. After they got all that money from RJ Reynolds tobacco, and got all hip and whatnot, they no longer wanted to affiliated with any 'higher power' or church.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Um, WF is not affiliated

Oct 12, 2018, 1:56 AM

Young people have made music into a weapon.

good for them. I'd trust rj reynolds

Oct 12, 2018, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Um, WF is not affiliated ]

over the southern baptist convention any day of the week, and rj reynolds is one of the companies that lied about smoking and lung cancer for 60 years, so you can imagine how slimey I find the convention.

Gosh--remember our game there the first year their

Oct 12, 2018, 6:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band ]

new sound system was installed. It was ear drum splittingly loud and reminiscent of listening to an AM radio station thats just a notch off the tuning-----thats been quite a few years ago, but the next trip back to Groves a couple of years afterwards, found the system a bit better fine-tuned, but still far too loud for that tiny stadium

Much like uncfans, Wakies have never really bought in to the football program (at least not since the 50's------there was a time when Wake and Clemson had an annual battle as to which was the smallest school in the ACC...both schools were running between 3-5,000 students. After the early '60s, Clemson grew considerably larger)

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Wake complaining about Tiger Band ]

Beer good .

Frat Boy bad .

DB23

Oct 12, 2018, 1:59 AM

Plus, we only took the Pep Band. I wish the band had enough funding to go to every away game

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 12, 2018, 3:08 PM

Donate and they may be able to.

However, its not just about funding. Travelling to every game has other inconveniences that go unnoticed, and, band is physically strenuous. Its a very physically demanding activity and doing what they do every weekend on top of other commitments is tough.

Blasting music over the loud speakers right up until

Oct 12, 2018, 3:04 AM

the snap is cool though

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously. And the awful

Oct 12, 2018, 5:47 AM

motorcycle sounds.

Somehow we managed to score 63. ??

Clawson should worry about learning to coach

Oct 12, 2018, 6:29 AM

and recruit

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

The Clemson pep band?

Oct 12, 2018, 6:40 AM

You mean the group of 75 Tiger Band members which was bigger than Wake’s full band?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 12, 2018, 6:42 AM

Well Dave that surely explains why your offense sucked but why did your defense suck?

awwww Clawson needs a safe room

Oct 12, 2018, 8:29 AM

Give me a freaking break

Only one way to handle this problem

Oct 12, 2018, 8:30 AM

bring the full band next year.

What is the exact rule? Because i’ve seen bands stop

Oct 12, 2018, 9:09 AM

when the officials signal ready for play, and i’ve seen bands only stop at the snap of the ball. Seems like Wake, Ga. Tech, Maryland (when they were in the ACC), Duke, NC State, many of these teams have noise coming through their speakers up until the snap of the ball.

Oct 12, 2018, 10:46 AM

What's our band's record this season?

Oct 12, 2018, 5:48 PM

Clawson is just 10 years late with the Chad Morris hurry-up nonsense. There are too many rule changes and noise issues now to make it work, which is one reason Clemson does not do it much anymore. The bands are not the worst of it. Refs making you wait to snap until the defense finishes substituting is what really kills it.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic