Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Suppose We Get Real About Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Suppose We Get Real About Basketball

Mar 29, 2019, 3:06 AM

I was born in Clemson a year after the ACC was formed. In all that time, I've been an avid supporter of Clemson sports, but Clemson has never been a serious threat to be a basketball power. Sure, every decade or two, there's a decent - even pretty good year or so.

There has never been a Clemson ACC Tournament Champ....the ONLY founding member of the ACC NOT to have one. Been in 2 finals - lost both. 2 finals in 65 years? Never won? Even SoCar, which left the ACC in '70 or '71 has ONE ACC Championship. Maryland left the ACC too, but won 3. GaTech didn't join until '78, but has won 3. FSU joined in '91 and has 1. Wake & NCST have 4 each. Virginia 3. Duke 21 & UNC 18. Even Miami, which joined in 2004 has ONE. Clemson - a FOUNDING member - stands alone with zero wins. And no wins EVER @ UNC. That's downright embarrassing.

There have been - what? 4 trips to the Sweet 16? 1 trip to the Elite Eight? Never a trip to the Final Four? This is not the resume of a basketball power.

For whatever reasons - inability to attract (or keep) a big-time coach; lack of "all out" administration and/or fan support - it just doesn't add up to Clemson's ever being a legitimate B-ball power.

Do you ever truly see Wake winning a FOOTBALL national championship? I don't. Same with Clemson basketball. Can't see us ever winning one.

It's not Brad - it's the whole thing. Unless there's some massive commitment to grab a "Dabo-type" basketball coach & pour 100s of $millions into the program, CU will remain a low-to-mid-level basketball program with an occasional decent year.

When Wake or Rutgers wins a football championship, then I might buy in to the chance that CU could, someday, win a basketball championship.

Until then or unless there are MAJOR changes, I have to be REAL about it & accept the long established history - CU IS not, never WAS & not likely to ever BE a basketball school or consistent national basketball power.

Do I wish we could be a powerhouse in football AND basketball? A million times YES! But, we're sort of like Duke - a major basketball power - a few "okay" years in football. We're a big-time football power - and have a few "okay" basketball seasons.

It is what it is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suppose We Get Real About Basketball

Mar 29, 2019, 6:49 AM

Yea, let's get real;
In 17 seasons including this year; all with the same Head Coach.
354-216 (.621) overall record
148-138(.517)conference record.
ACC Tournament Title 2012
7 trips to the NIT
6 trips to the NCAA Tournament, including-
2 trips to the Sweet 16 and one to the Elite 8.
Not bad for a school other than Clemson that is known more for football than basketball.
If the Noles can achieve this moderate success, why can't we?
Do we need to go get Leonard Hamilton?

Mar 29, 2019, 7:28 AM

He gets criticized on wccp all the time.But Hamilton can do one thing BB can't do consistently. He recruits a whole lot better and he likes long players and FSU plays in a dump.Go figure.All it takes is the right coach and players.If our admin and AD is like this board then we need to give up basketball.

+1 leftie

Mar 29, 2019, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Suppose We Get Real About Basketball ]

One of your best responses ever. Pertinent to the topic, lucid, strong argument. FSU also came to my mind. Great fb tradition and reasonably respectable in bb.

We should EXPECT that at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Mar 29, 2019, 7:10 AM

Winning a basketball national championship is not a goal I think we should worry about right now. Basketball goals should be, in rough order:

+ Win an ACC Championship
+ Top 4 in the conference on a regular basis
+ NCAAT Sweet 16 on a regular basis
+ Win more ACC championships

Wake Forest won the ACCCG in football in 2006 (or so)

Mar 29, 2019, 8:17 AM

So I don't see why it would be far-fetched that Clemson can compete in ACC basketball and at least GET to the ACC Championship game.

Personally, I'd love to have a Clemson basketball team that finishes in the top half of the ACC every year, wins a game or two in the ACCT and every now and then gets to the finals, makes the NCAA tournament more times than not and makes a Sweet 16 run every now and then. Elite 8, Final Four...they would be a tremendous bonus, but it's really not in my expectations.

I don't think any of that is unreasonable and it's not too far off from where we are now. But I think to say we can't do those things because there's a lack of administrative and fan support is pure and utter bullshyatt, it's an excuse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

My criteria for success is simpler. MAKE THE NCAA

Mar 29, 2019, 8:35 AM

TOURNAMENT, and win some games there. Most people would not consider Texas a basketball school, (A DEFINITE Football school) but guess what? They are tied for 10th all time on list of consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, going 14 YEARS IN A ROW under Barnes thru 2012 while he was there.

I get so dayum sick and tired of hearing that we are a football school, and it can't be done in basketball. That is total BS, and a should be a slap in the face of every Clemson man. Clemson can do any frigging thing that we set our mind to do, it is really just that, having the mindset to do it, and making it important, neither of which we have thus far really done. Perhaps now that he has his facilities upgrade, in the coming years, Brad Brownell can get it done. I am beyond skeptical, but by all appearances we are stuck with him for at least a couple more years, so I have never hoped to be proven wrong more than I do about this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic