Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Howdy!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Howdy!

Aug 8, 2019, 9:47 PM

I apologize if this has already been posted. I had a little trouble navigating the site. But my buddies and I will be in town for the Clemson game and hope y’all can give me some pointers.

Main items:
1. Best place to tailgate
2. Any gameday traditions we need to be aware of
3. Best bar scene for Friday and Saturday after our big win :)
4. Things to see on campus.
5. We will be in town for 4 days, so anything outside of campus/football to see or do.

Think that’s all I’ve got. Looking forward to my stay in Clemson. All the tigers (orange, not yellow and purple) I met in College Station were great guest last year. Our crowd will return the favor I’m sure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gig’em

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Howdy!

Aug 8, 2019, 9:55 PM

Where are you staying? If you are going to be in Clemson for 4 days, I'll offer a suggestion I don't think I've ever seen listed. Given that its early September, rent a boat for a half a day and enjoy Lake Keowee. It's only about 20 minutes from campus. I'm sure the boat rental places can give you a map to the waterfall and jump off rock.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:01 PM

We are staying in Seneca. All the hotels in Clemson were either booked or too high priced to justify it when we could just stay 6 miles away for half the cost. Hopefully that’s not a mistake.... but thanks for the suggestion! We are all outdoors guys so that sounds great. On another note, how is SC weather in September. Obviously Texas is 100 everyday, so I’m used to heat, but anything cooler would be a bonus.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:25 PM

If you're going to walk around the campus area, you better have a good set of in shape legs, all the hill are a biotch!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

Temperatures should be in the 80's on gameday hopefully lowering to 70's by end of game. Humidity does seem to lessen a bit in September, though not always the case. Although everything could change drastically depending on what the tropics have going on that week.

Seneca to Clemson is a smart move, cheaper stay and a quick drive. As far as parking, get to downtown area around 8 or 9 and secure yourself a paid site near downtown. Cant remember the street(usually around$30), someone else may be able to help out on this.

Walk down to Esso Club (about 10 to 15 minute walk), you'll have to walk that way to get to the stadium either way. Clemson doesn't have as large a bar scene as College Station, so its mainly just tailgates.

If you're in a couple days early, definitely drive up towards the Blue Ridge Mountains and look around a little. You'll be a couple weeks early for Fall leaves , however there's plenty to see. Just do some Google searches of the area and plan ahead.

If golf is your thing, you have tons of options. The Walker Course is the University course and also has some pretty good food options.
Oconee Country Club, Boscobel, The Rock at Table Rock, and Chickasaw are a few options.

Outlaw

Aug 9, 2019, 6:09 PM

You made a lot of good suggestions except one. The game kicks off at 3:30pm. More than likely, it will be at least 90 Degrees with very high Humidity! I’ve been to many Oppressively Hot games every September in Clemson.

Re: Outlaw

Aug 9, 2019, 8:12 PM

I'm with you. It will definitely be hot in September for an afternoon game.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

Oh! this is a good suggestion I have not seen before :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2013, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

Lakes are a great idea....Hartwell or Keowee. Personally would suggest keowee on a Thursday or Friday. It is too tight for me on the weekends but cannot be beat weekdays.

Aug 8, 2019, 10:15 PM

Howdy!

Welcome to Clemson.

If you are looking for a parking spot you might need to buy a parking pass or check out the parking at Y beach. If you park anywhere around campus you can walk around the tailgating lots and you will find friendly people that will invite you to tailgate.

The main one I can think of is tiger walk which is usually 90 min or so before the game starts. If you are interested we can provide more details. It is a pretty cool experience to see the team walk from the bus into the stadium with all the fans cheering and the band,

Be sure to be in your seat before kickoff so you can see the most exciting 25 seconds of college football!

I would do the esso which is very close to the stadium. If it is too crowded there are other bars a short walk away.

Fort hill is lovely. That is the former home of John C Calhoun and Thomas Green Clemson. It is located very close to the stadium. Downtown Clemson is worth a walk. Lots of bars, shops and places to eat.

5. We will be in town for 4 days, so anything outside of campus/football to see or do.
Greenville is a must see. Lots of things there... art museum, children museum, Falls park. The whole downtown scene is really cool.
Smokin pig in Pendleton is must eat BBQ one night.
There are many hiking trails in the upstate that have waterfalls or other beautiful things to see. Lots of beautiful nature.

If any of these things interest you let me know and I can provide more details... this is just some of my favorite things.

Greetings Aggie..

Aug 8, 2019, 10:23 PM

and do you know anybody that can shut Paul Finebomb and his dribble uP against "LiL Ole Clempson" & bad-mouthing a man of high integrity in DaBO?!

Saying..I'm be your 13th Man!

Welcome to The Death Valley #1 (according to the LSU gameday program).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#2. Drum line warm up at the amphitheatre

Aug 6, 2013, 11:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

Band March into stadium.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

This should definitely be a part of anyone's itinerary

Aug 9, 2019, 4:59 PM

on their first visit to Clemson for a football game day.

"WE" Welcome You!

Aug 8, 2019, 10:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 10:52 PM

I almost forgot... be sure to stop by the Hendricks center and get some Clemson ice cream. It is made on campus and absolutely delicious. My favorite flavor is the golden tiger.

Aug 8, 2019, 11:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! Tailgating will just be us wandering around hoping to get accepted into the shade of a tent. We will absolutely be in our seats for the most exciting 25 seconds of college football, unless we somehow get over-served at said tailgates (its been known to happen). Will definitely have to try out the BBQ in Pendleton, and regardless of the taste, b**** about how it aint like Texas'. And yes... PF is an idiot...

Don't put your stopwatch on that Hill run

Aug 8, 2019, 11:09 PM

That was before we had 30 walk-ons ( more like 125 seconds now). And don't count on it being cooler than Texas, especially if you have tickets in the North stands and there are no clouds. Lots of military history - see the Scroll of Honor across the street from the Hill lists all Clemson men who sacrificed it all in wartime.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

Maybe check out White Water Falls, not far from Seneca, it's in the heart of the Blue Ridge Escarpment, "where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness, where the Tigers play..."!!!

Go Tigers!!!

No, our BBQ ain't like Texas, thank God because BBQ is

Aug 9, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

pork. BBQ is not beef you freaks!

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: No, our BBQ ain't like Texas, thank God because BBQ is

Aug 9, 2019, 10:38 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Aug 9, 2019, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Howdy! ]

He's terribly ugly as well!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2019, 11:41 PM

Plenty of people will welcome you to their tailgate. lot 5 near the westzone is a great lot for tailgating and it is right beside the stadium. tiger walk happens there about 2 hours before kickoff. if you are more into bars Amici often has live music and the Esso is a must go. they are not very far from each other.

tiger walk mentioned above is your typical team walk from bus to stadium. the crowd is allowed to get very close to the players which is pretty cool (at least for a clemson guy). your aggies will also enter the stadium from lot 5 at the west zone a little after tiger walk.
when you see the hear/see band marching from the east side of campus, it's time to go into the stadium.

after clemson wins we'll be barhopping down town. find something there you like because pretty much every bar is on college ave. tailgates will still be rolling after game too.

memorial park in front of the stadium's east side is touching. the graveyard on the north side is pretty cool as well.

i saw someone else mention a boat rental on keowi which i would also strongly recommend. Lake Jocassee is also beautiful and not extremely far. Greenville is also a very nice area.

enjoy your time in clemson!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 12:30 AM

https://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/parking/visitors/C1-football-parking.html
also would recommend knowing parking, if you're not getting a parking pass see here^

downtown and perimeter rd/old stadium rd allow free roadside parking but will fill up early morning.

Message was edited by: Joey Tiger®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 12:17 AM

Since you are staying in Seneca I also recommend a mountain trip. Go to Highlands NC(about 1 hour drive) and visit Dry Falls, have lunch at one of the fine restaurants in Highlands(or cheaper but excellent lunch at the Market across from the Episcopal Church). From there go to Cashiers to White Water Falls to Devils Fork State Park at Lake Jocassee and then back to Seneca.
If you decide to do a boat rental, Lake Keowee is good, but Lake Jocassee is really special and is only about 25 minutes from Seneca. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTuJKoxFPU

Aug 10, 2019, 8:45 PM

Love Jocassee...not sure you can rent a boat on it, though? There are a couple of places in Seneca that do whole and 1/2 day rentals.

My thoughts

Aug 9, 2019, 7:33 AM

Gameday traditions - pep rally in amphitheater two hours before kickoff, followed by band/cheerleader parade to Death Valley

Things to see on campus - amphitheater/reflection pond, horticulture gardens, Bowman field/Tillman/Sikes

Clemson area - scenic highway 11 - Table Rock state park, many other parks and historic sites, hiking trails, waterfalls (Long Shoals wayside is a favorite), historic Pendleton

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2019, 4:53 PM

Went to College Station last year and got to say y'alls BBq ain't right. 1st there was no mustard based sauce . 2. I didn't recognize the pig that stuff came from.

Got to say though, had some good burgers out there and the beer was cold

Howdy!......Thing to do

Aug 9, 2019, 9:22 PM

Glad to have you visit. I hope you enjoy the cool 90F humid weather on gameday. Obviously the heat will not bother you. I hope you have a good time on Saturday, feel welcomed and go home sad and saddled with a loss. I've gone home from College Station headed back to the Carolinas toting a loss your guys gave us, I hope we can return the favor. I'm sure you'll feel welcomed and enjoy game day.

On the things to do list.....Highlands NC is 40 miles from Seneca at an elevation of 4100 feet. It'll be a little cooler up there, the waterfalls near by are good for gawking and you'll enjoy the mountains, I'm sure.

If I were coming to Clemson for four days from Texas, I'd try really hard to take a rafting trip on the Chattooga River. It's pretty easy to book a 7 hour trip that is likely to get you wet,cool you off and perhaps get your heart pounding. I assure you it'll be a nice memory. There are many outfitters. Here's one: https://wildwaterrafting.com/locations/wildwater-chattooga/

Eat some Yellow BBQ while you're in SC. It'll be pork and you'll like it, though I know it'll strike you as odd at first. Don't order brisket. Just don't.

I hope you only lose 1 game this year. Please Beat SC and Bama.

Go Tigers!!

Re: Howdy!......Thing to do

Aug 11, 2019, 4:28 AM

Hillcountry, with a name like that you will fit in nicely in what we call The Upstate. We are hill country also in that we are in what is called the Piedmont region of SC. Piedmont means "the foot of the mountains".
In an earlier post I recommended a trip to Highlands and Hartins correctly also recommended rafting on the Chattooga River. If you decide to do this do Section IV and you will have a very exciting trip with a guide for about $100/person. It is an all day event with lunch included and there are three outfitters to chose from. Just google search them.
I also recommended in an earlier post a visit to Lake Jocassee and it appears that half day pontoon boat rentals are in the $200 range and whole day rates are in the $275 range. Both the Chattooga rafting and Jocassee boat rental options require reservations and fill up fast.
Thank you and the rest of the Aggies for visiting with us and hope you have a great trip. Please let us know if you need additional info....

Aug 10, 2019, 3:42 PM

Safe travels from Texas to SC and Clemson. The annual Firat Friday Parade will be held on Friday night at 6:00. This is our annual celebration before our first home game. Since we are opening with Ga Tech on a Thursday, the decision was made to have the celebration the next week before the Texas A and M game.

Aug 10, 2019, 9:04 PM

If you have time, make sure you go by Hendricks Hall and set up at Station 55 for the Ice Cream. If you have a way to keep things cold in your vehicle you can purchase some Clemson Bleu Cheese. Nobody has told you but this is not a flat campus. It is a lot of up and down. Wear good walking shoes. I hope you have an enjoyable stay and safe trip. If you come across anything that annoys you about someone's behavior, let someone know. We will do our best to correct the situation. This is not OOglie.

Here you go!

Aug 11, 2019, 7:31 AM

https://tigerpregameshow.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-guide-to-clemson-weekend-for-texas.html

Hit the Botanical Gradens, you won't be dissappointed.

Aug 11, 2019, 9:01 AM

Tons of waterfalls in Pickens and Oconee counties. Usually an easy walk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic