Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fatal shooting on the Ohio State campus today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Fatal shooting on the Ohio State campus today

Feb 12, 2019, 9:05 PM

Wicked world we live in

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And getting "wickeder" by the second.***

Feb 12, 2019, 9:20 PM

More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide?

Feb 12, 2019, 9:36 PM

Or when there were plantations full of slaves?

The world has always been wicked

Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide?

Feb 12, 2019, 9:51 PM

what is that supposed to mean?

That those type of comments are just

Feb 12, 2019, 9:58 PM

Parroted without any thought. "What is wrong with people today" "what is this world coming too?" Etc. as if violence and wickedness are new to the world

Very true...

Feb 12, 2019, 10:04 PM

While the exact form of the wickedness may vary from time to time, there’s nothing new under the sun

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 10:03 PM [ in reply to More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

I don't recall any school shootings, mass killing in the work place or in the churches when I was growing up. We didn't lock our houses, we left the keys in the car and no one bothered the children, at least in my home town.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 10:10 PM

Thank you sir. Great points. People today have become so numb to the violence they just cannot see how things have changed.

Feb 12, 2019, 10:13 PM

no, violent crime is down and has been downward on a 40 year trend. Most of our fears are irrational. And quite possibly Joe21 forgot about that guy that climbed a tower at the University of Texas in 1966 and gunned down 18 people.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 5:55 AM

I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB when the Texas tower shooting occurred. It was, indeed, awful.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of the "trends", children now live

Feb 13, 2019, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

in a world of lockdown and active shooter drills. All we had to do was hide under our desks in the event of a nuclear holocaust.

Feb 13, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

I believe Joe21 was a child way before the Texas Tower shootings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Feb 12, 2019, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

That was my thinking also Joe. I don’t think comparing killings in a ‘war’ is the same as killings on a college campus, or church etc. Killings for power have been with us since the beginning of time. Meanness appears to be a very contagious illness..... without a cure I fear.

Lynchings, on the other hand, were commonplace throughout the South***

Feb 12, 2019, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

http://www.statehousereport.com/2015/02/12/164-lynched-in-jim-crow-s-c-report-says/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lynchings, on the other hand, were commonplace throughout the South***

Feb 13, 2019, 10:22 AM

I do not make this statement to in any way defend the vile, indefensible history of lynching. I do however dispute that lynchings were "commonplace" The article you cite indicates the states with the highest frequency of lynching (Florida, Mississippi, & Arkansas) did so at a rate of one person lynched for every 200,000 people. The article said that 164 people were lynched in SC between 1877 & 1950. To contrast that per the Anderson Independent Mail, 180 people were killed in Anderson County in traffic accidents in the last 4 years. I wouldn't say that traffic deaths are "commonplace" in Anderson County even at that rate.
https://www.independentmail.com/story/news/2018/04/28/part-greenville-county-and-sc-top-highway-fatalities/867306001/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

facts have no place in this argument***

Feb 13, 2019, 11:46 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

I remember the very same Joe. Just the thought of taking a gun to school would cause you to break out in a cold sweat, and cause your A$$ to start burning, and that was for just maybe a thought!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I took a gun to school all the time back in HS

Feb 13, 2019, 8:26 AM

during hunting season. Some of us would go hunting before school started.

And had guns displayed in the back window of our trucks so everyone could SEE them.

Whatever happened to rear window gun racks??

Unfortunately illegal now

Feb 13, 2019, 8:31 AM

Most of the gun racks I see nowadays are just carrying baseball bats.

Snowflake Basher........Out

when I got my first beater pickup, it was my first purchase

Feb 13, 2019, 8:58 AM

a truck HAD to have a gun rack.

people started breaking the glass and stealing guns so it

Feb 13, 2019, 11:44 AM [ in reply to I took a gun to school all the time back in HS ]

fell out of favor

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

You don't recall because the vast majority of things went unreported in the large scale media. Only so many things could fit in the paper.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was looking through a book at Barnes & Noble

Feb 12, 2019, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

recently that had front page newspaper stories collected from 1850 to the present. In the 1960s-70s there were countless small articles that referenced things like "riot leaves 8 dead", every few weeks. I had never even heard of most of them. They just are forgotten now but they looked to be pretty commonplace.

I agree that random mass shootings are something that have increased since 1999 (Columbine) but overall crime rates are down (things like muggings and such). Violence changes form through the years, but it never goes away entirely.

Feb 12, 2019, 11:31 PM [ in reply to More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

What war killed 85 Million people (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/highest-death-toll-from-wars/)?

Feb 13, 2019, 4:18 AM

According to Google WWII

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WW2

Feb 13, 2019, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

It is the high estimate. Taking into account the civilians killed in places like the sobiet union, China etc

Feb 13, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

Great question. The answer is .... the next one! That’s what many don’t seem to grasp!

The next one will kill a billion.

Feb 13, 2019, 7:53 AM [ in reply to More wicked than when a war killed 85 million people worldwide? ]

And yes the world has always been wicked.

Re: Fatal shooting on the Ohio State campus today

Feb 12, 2019, 10:13 PM

According to news reports, an Ohio State student was abducted by her ex boyfriend. She had previousky obtained a restraining order against him. It appears she died during a shootout between her ex and a Kentucky trooper. She was a young mother.

So very sad and tragic. Prayers for her family and friends and tOSU community.

Feb 13, 2019, 1:29 AM

FWIW: The abduction was actually NOT at the main OSU campus, but miles away at one of their satellite campuses. Still terrible, but just clarifying.

Feb 13, 2019, 8:25 AM

Some of us have seen it before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE9vMBBe10

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

The world has always been wicked.***

Feb 13, 2019, 10:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic