Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Very happy to win. But mark my words,...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Very happy to win. But mark my words,...

Oct 31, 2015, 8:55 PM

special teams play is going to bite us sometime this year.

Dabo has a big decision to make.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Very happy to win. But mark my words,...

Oct 31, 2015, 11:12 PM

Ummm it has bitten us twice already. We have an antidote in the form of Deshaun Watson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2015, 11:13 PM

We cant give away 14 or so points and win a playoff game. D.W. is great, but he cant dig us out of these holes against other elite teams.

Oct 31, 2015, 11:14 PM

College students make mistakes on every team. The difference is our team is good enough to make mistakes and still win.

Oct 31, 2015, 11:15 PM

When playing other elite teams of equal talent level, the game will come down to who makes the least mistakes.

I'm not sure that there are any elite teams this year...***

Oct 31, 2015, 11:21 PM

You mean other than the Tigers?!.***

Nov 1, 2015, 7:49 AM

yep

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I admit kick coverage troubles me

Oct 31, 2015, 11:16 PM

Kick returns do almost as much. He returner never has a chance. I though HR got blown up on that one hit. Kid rarely has time to even catch it, foeget returning it. And that has been going on for a while now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While I admit kick coverage troubles me

Oct 31, 2015, 11:18 PM

Agree. And we almost gave up another one late in the game.

Re: While I admit kick coverage troubles me

Nov 1, 2015, 7:58 AM [ in reply to While I admit kick coverage troubles me ]

Yeah, we hardly had any chances to make returns. Their punter was very very good.

Our special teams are crap

Oct 31, 2015, 11:20 PM

I love this team, but calling a spade a spade here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love undefeated Clemson teams.***

Oct 31, 2015, 11:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love undefeated Clemson teams.***

Nov 1, 2015, 1:28 AM

Yeah, special teams is definitely why we're undefeated. It could use no improvement whatsoever based on the fact that it certainly hasn't given teams opportunities that they otherwise wouldn't have on multiple occasions.

I'm glad there's not a scenario that would beget anyone dare mentioning that the mess on special teams could cost against a great team. Nothing to worry about, although I think the offense and defense deserve more credit for making up for the lapses on special teams.

3 for 3 on FG though is great***

Nov 1, 2015, 7:01 AM [ in reply to Our special teams are crap ]

Nov 1, 2015, 12:13 AM

Didn't it bite us today?

Nov 1, 2015, 12:37 AM

Didn't bite us today?? ### are you talking about?? If we played solid special teams today the game would've been over long before it was today. I was stressing for all 4 quarters, had the special teams should up I could've enjoyed Halloween with my family.

Nov 1, 2015, 12:44 AM

Learn how to read

Didn't cost us the win ... this time ... but the definitely

Nov 1, 2015, 1:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Very happy to win. But mark my words,... ]

"bit us" severely today.

On offense and/or defense, there's no way NC State comes close to matching up with us, but special teams gave them the opportunity to make a game of it.

We're awful!

- TWO blocked extra points

- A 100 yard kickoff return

- A Boneheaded play covering on side kick

- A complete brain fart on covering a pooch kick

We have simply got to improve.

Re: Didn't cost us the win ... this time ... but the definitely

Nov 1, 2015, 1:06 AM

Well good thing we still have games left to fix those issues. And it didn't just cost us a championship ????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2015, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Very happy to win. But mark my words,... ]

My God people, the OP is obviously talking about it coming back to bite us in the form of a loss against better teams. I'm sure he knew it cost us points in this game. And he's 100% correct, if these problems aren't fixed, it could very well cost us a loss and a playoff spot.

Nov 1, 2015, 12:50 AM

I agree it's a minor concern but it's only 2 returns. Come on.

Have you found any positives about our 8-0 Tigers

Nov 1, 2015, 1:42 AM

Who has beaten ND a very good NC State Team and BC with a tuff defense, GT who usually puts up a lot of points and a decent Miami team 58-0. No team is perfect but our Tigers find was to WIN.

I am positive Dabo is working very hard to improve special teams. So see if you can find something positive to post about this team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pearman needs to go

Nov 1, 2015, 2:26 AM

Not a great recruiter, and certainly many lackluster performances by his special teams units over the past 5 years (including today). Hines made a statement on special teams, and he's a guy that Pearman was responsible for recruiting here. We deserve better on KR/PR than Pearman's coaching

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Until the one return today

Nov 1, 2015, 7:05 AM

They have been solid since fixing the coverage issues in first few games. Even today coverage was good minus the one play.

And Hines was always going to State IMO. He played with my oldest here in Raleigh...

Re: Pearman needs to go

Nov 1, 2015, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Pearman needs to go ]

I heard Dabo say a couple weeks ago that Coach Hobby was special teams coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

That Decision's Has Been Made

Nov 1, 2015, 6:48 AM

A new special teams coordinator, we will not have.

Nov 1, 2015, 7:53 AM

I think we have extremely talented guys our kick team. They are fast, athletic and smart. What I see is these great athletes trying to make a play on their own. They are getting spread out a bit. Sometimes it is hard to coach elite players and maybe that's where a different coach may be needed

Love it! We are too elite to play good KO cover ??***

Nov 1, 2015, 8:26 AM

TBH I'd rather just continue trying to kick it deep and

Nov 1, 2015, 7:56 AM

use standard coverage. The cutesy stuff that we don't practice as much gets us in just as bad or worse shape as the KO returns. That pooch KO to the up man that got pitched back was just a disaster and then the next kickoff put them close to the 40.

Re: TBH I'd rather just continue trying to kick it deep and

Nov 1, 2015, 8:09 AM

I agree, but part of the problem is Lakip's kicking style. He can boom it far but they are always low line drives, so the margin for error is smaller if for some reason it comes up a little short.

With less hang time, the ball gets to the returner a lot faster, and they have a chance to get blocks set and get a good return. Point being that Lakip kicking long is not a sure thing at all...

Yep,

Nov 1, 2015, 8:00 AM

if we ever meet a team than can run back the kickoff every time we kick the ball off we're just gonna be screwed. At that point we'll have to start onsides kicking every time we score.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If u really tried could you perfect the onsides

Nov 1, 2015, 8:31 AM

Kick and just do it every time? Aren't the stats that about half of those are recovered by kick team? Seems like practicing it you could push stats up to 75 %. That would freak out the receiving team and make them spend a ton of time practicing for it.

Then after getting good at it, you sometimes don't do it just to keep them honest.

By "bite us" you mean to say...

Nov 1, 2015, 8:36 AM

..we're going to lose a close game we could have won had it not been for a special teams blunder.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic