Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2019 DL will be smaller but athletically I think ..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

2019 DL will be smaller but athletically I think ..

Jul 23, 2019, 2:35 AM

they will be faster. But look, our LBs will be smaller also on average but they will be faster. Ok, carry it out and I think our DBs will be faster and better than last year. With DK and AJ, plus Muse which probably needs to move up for Run D and let Simmons take TE pass plays. But if I am thinking correctly, i think the run game could become a much bigger challenge this year!!

Tell me why the run game will be defended adequately this year?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables.***

Jul 23, 2019, 4:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Venables.***

Jul 23, 2019, 5:20 AM

Ok, you win! Ha!

Re: Venables.***

Jul 23, 2019, 5:20 AM [ in reply to Venables.*** ]

Ok, you win! Ha!

The only word you need to know

Jul 23, 2019, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Venables.*** ]

when it comes to defense.

Re: 2019 DL will be smaller but athletically I think ..

Jul 23, 2019, 5:50 AM

Our starting DL will be slightly smaller (because everybody is smaller than big Dex).

Our LB's are not smaller.

2018 Starters:

Tre Lemar 6'4 250lbs
Kendal Joseph 6'0 235 bs
Isaiah Simmons 6'3 225lbs

2019 (projected) Starters:

Chad Smith 6'3 240lbs
Jamie Skalski 6'1 240lbs
Isaiah Simmons 6'3 225+lbs

If teams have more success running up the gut against our 'D it won't be because our LB's have gotten smaller. It'll be because Dex and Christian are gone and/or because our LB's are out of position. Jordan Williams is the same size as CW, Dex is bigger than Pinckney.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2019, 8:12 AM

Reckless96 said:

Our starting DL will be slightly smaller (because everybody is smaller than big Dex).

Our LB's are not smaller.

2018 Starters:

Tre Lemar 6'4 250lbs
Kendal Joseph 6'0 235 bs
Isaiah Simmons 6'3 225lbs

2019 (projected) Starters:

Chad Smith 6'3 240lbs
Jamie Skalski 6'1 240lbs
Isaiah Simmons 6'3 225+lbs

If teams have more success running up the gut against our 'D it won't be because our LB's have gotten smaller. It'll be because Dex and Christian are gone and/or because our LB's are out of position. Jordan Williams is the same size as CW, Dex is bigger than Pinckney.

I went to one of Jordan Williams’ games at Cox High School and I spoke to Marion Hobby that night. I asked if they expected him to play like Cristian. He replied, “Oh no ! Chritian is a big boy, he’s 300 pounds ! We expect him to play more like Clelin Ferrel.”

Granted, JW ate his way from DE to DT before he arrived on campus but he isn’t built quite like Christian was.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Relax

Jul 23, 2019, 6:23 AM

The only appreciable loss in size is at one of the DT spots because Dex was 340 and there’s only 2-3 guys in the NFL that size with his athleticism. The rest of the projected starters are all within 10 pounds of the person they’re replacing, and like you said they’re more athletic.

You also didn’t mention that our offense should be historic so game ###### will dictate most of our opponents have to throw because they’re playing from behind.

This defense will be good against the run because Venables’ defenses at Clemson always have been

We did pretty well with Grady Jarrett and Vic Beasley ...***

Jul 23, 2019, 7:06 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our D had roughly 50 sacks last season.....

Jul 23, 2019, 7:28 AM

We lost a tremendous amount of talented players but I think 30-35 sacks are achievable this year

Jul 23, 2019, 7:55 AM

It also wouldn't shock me to see Tyler Davis starting at tackle at some point this year. Kid is supposed to be a monster.

Jul 23, 2019, 8:25 AM

I expect opponents will try to run, move the chains and keep our O on the sidelines.

Tyler Davis is the real deal. I don't know about starting

Jul 23, 2019, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: 2019 DL will be smaller but athletically I think .. ]

but he's going to get a ton of playing time and he's going to abuse people.

Clemson had the best defense in the nation last year...

Jul 12, 2015, 6:50 PM

Of course, several players on that defense have now moved-on to the NFL.

While Clemson may not have the nations best defense in 2019, the unit will still be very good (top 10 to 15).

Combine that with the all of the weapons on offense, and you quickly realize why Clemson is again a probative favorite to play for another National Championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Grady Jarrett was all of 6' tall, 6'1" on a good day.

Jul 23, 2019, 8:31 AM

Shorter interior DL are actually harder to block because you can't the leverage on them you can get on a taller guy. I'm not worried about our DL whatsoever. We're going to be stellar on D, again. Like someone else said,...Venables.

Jul 23, 2019, 11:08 AM

I don't expect there to be an appreciable difference at any position group. I expect the CB's to be slightly better, especially in terms of depth. The DL obviously will take a step back, especially in terms of experience. That being said, I believe that BV will be able to leave the corners to fend for themselves a little more which will enable him to send help a little more with run support. As much as we lost, BV has still managed with less in the past, and I expect that he will again this year.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic