Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
10 Greatest Clemson Football Teams of All Time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

10 Greatest Clemson Football Teams of All Time

Feb 19, 2019, 11:20 AM

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ten-greatest-clemson-football-teams-all-time

May be Germans but searches here and outside don't show it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a great record of booting famous coaches out...

Feb 19, 2019, 11:29 AM

Woody Hayes' last game was a loss to Clemson
Barry Switzer's last game was a loss to Clemson
Lou Holtz's last game was a loss to Clemson

maybe more, but those are right off the top of my head

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have a great record of booting famous coaches out...

Feb 19, 2019, 11:31 AM

Will Muschamp of the U of SCAR's last game will be against Clemson.

Feb 19, 2019, 11:38 AM [ in reply to We have a great record of booting famous coaches out... ]

Don't forget 58-0 Al Golden.

And we also basically beat the will of coaching out of Mark Richt too.

Feb 19, 2019, 11:48 AM [ in reply to We have a great record of booting famous coaches out... ]

Begs the question that if Cusschamp's last game is a loss to Clemson ( most likely ) does he even deserve to be on that list?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why Spurrier quit mid season!***

Feb 19, 2019, 12:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Urban Meyer's last playoff loss was to Clemson!***

Feb 19, 2019, 8:05 PM [ in reply to We have a great record of booting famous coaches out... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not his last game, but even the great George Allen

Feb 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

lost to Clemson in his last season. And, Bobby Bowden lost to Clemson in his last year

Any chance 2015 > 1981?

Feb 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

I was born in 1982 so i didn't get to watch that team aside from an old VHS my uncle had of the Orange Bowl game itself.

I know the 1981 team was really good, but it also didn't play in the playoff era and didn't have to square off against #4 and #2 back to back. Under the old format 2015 Clemson would've won the title upon beating Oklahoma by 20 in the Orange Bowl.

The 81 championship was not much short of a miracle

Feb 19, 2019, 11:58 AM

We literally came out of nowhere, having gone 6-5 the year before. I don't even think we were ranked preseason. And to watch us struggle past Tulane in the second game you might have thought we would repeat that record. But we forced 9, yes 9 turnovers against defending Nat. Champs GA in week 3. How many games have you EVER seen with 9 turnovers? That might be the only one for me. We had a really really tough game against UNC late that year. At that time we were getting no favors or props from anyone, so it took an astonishing upset of PennSt over #1 Pitt (Todd Blackledge over Dan Marino, can you believe it?) to open the path to #1 for us in the last week. Then all we had to do was beat Nebraska, featuring Turner Gill, Irving Fryar, Roger Craig, Mike Rozier, Dean Stienkuhler, and some guy named Dave Rimington. They weren't all starters at that time, but they were on that team. Thank goodness all we have to do these days is prove it on the field. Back then you had to be in the "club" to even get a fair shot.

To compound the miracle, that same Pitt team

Feb 19, 2019, 12:03 PM

went on to beat #2 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Had we lost, and GA won, they would have been Nat Champions back-to-back with Herschel Walker. Dawgs....always so close, but not quite. Hahahaha.

Re: The 81 championship was not much short of a miracle

Feb 19, 2019, 12:53 PM [ in reply to The 81 championship was not much short of a miracle ]

Remington was the All-American Center for Nebraska. The story I heard after our defeating Nebraska in the Orange Bowl (I was there) was that our staff, in studying film of Nebraska, noticed that Rimington used his hands to hold his opponent in the front of his shoulder pads. It was difficult for the officials to see and that was one reason for Rimington receiving high praise because of his blocking.

Our staff informed the officials before the game about Rimington's tactics and in the early stages of the game he was detecting holding either Refrigerator or Devane. After that, Rimington was a non-factor in stopping the Frige or Devane.

Anyone else hear this story?

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i remember ford talking about if a center could be offsides

Feb 19, 2019, 3:41 PM

remington would charge out blocking pretty close to before snapping

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any chance 2015 > 1981?

Feb 19, 2019, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Any chance 2015 > 1981? ]

Probably. In 81, the game was waaaaaaay more about running the ball. In 81 Marino was considered a gunslinger QB, he threw for 2876 yds, 37 TD’s, 23 INT’s, keep in mind that’s over 12 games. Those were pretty crazy numbers back then, he was 4th in the Heisman. Today those numbers are ho-hum.

In 81 the name of the game was running......and nooooooobody was running the ball on us. 81 was a great team, but their run stuffing was otherworldly for that time. That’s how I remember it.

Yep, 8.8 ppg on def, 97 rush ypg, 2.5 ypc avg. Brick Wall***

Feb 19, 2019, 1:54 PM

Yep, 8.8 ppg on def, 97 rush ypg, 2.5 ypc avg. Brick Wall***

Feb 19, 2019, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance 2015 > 1981? ]

My Dad's 1948 team

Feb 19, 2019, 11:49 AM

is 5th on this list. Michigan and Clemson were the only two undefeated teams that year. Michigan ranked #1 and the Tigers 11th in the final poll. Wow! Why not first or second?

Maybe we should be like some other schools and claim 1948 as our fourth national championship!!

The 1990 team would have probably won the NC if

Feb 19, 2019, 12:03 PM

Danny had been coaching. Also the 1989 team that beat WVa and Major Harris in the Gator Bowl is arguably an all-time Top 10 Clemson team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Good lord were we stockpiled in 90 and 91

Feb 19, 2019, 12:06 PM

Danny had us perched for greatness again, absolutely

Never a bad time for this...

Feb 19, 2019, 12:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrx7FVxdv7s

And then

Feb 19, 2019, 12:18 PM

Urban's only shutout...and Saban's worst loss...and his only two Natty losses. Spurrier dodged his last loss being to Clemson.

Clemson simply picks on bullies! A refreshing change! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 For: "Clemson simply picks on bullies!"***

Feb 19, 2019, 1:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good lord were we stockpiled in 90 and 91

Feb 19, 2019, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Good lord were we stockpiled in 90 and 91 ]

Ditto Danny got screwed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Claiming the 1900 Natty

Feb 19, 2019, 12:30 PM

First dibs

Re: Claiming the 1900 Natty

Feb 19, 2019, 2:00 PM

I mentioned this in a post a while back. You know Bama, Michigan and others would.

Re: 10 Greatest Clemson Football Teams of All Time

Feb 19, 2019, 1:10 PM

I think the team that didn't win it all was the best of all-time: 2015. That team was absolutely loaded and didn't get tested all season. We basically gave away the championship game thanks to terrible mistakes, injuries, and a great onside's kick call by Saban.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We also handed Paterno his worst Bowl loss ever in the late

Feb 19, 2019, 1:38 PM

80's...like 35-10 or so. It may have been surpassed but at the time he had never been thrashed as bad in a bowl.

I hadn't heard the story about Rimington but I did hear a

Feb 19, 2019, 1:47 PM

great one about Ford in the Woody game. I think Ford maybe even told it himself. Sometime later in the game, after Hayes hit Bauman, Ford blew his top over a call and got in the referee's face. The referee got back in Ford's face and said "Son. You need to settle down. Because I assure you, [after the Bauman punch] as long as you don't lose your temper, you WILL win this game." Hahahaha. I doubt an official has ever come so close to flat out saying "we are going to skew every call we can your way."

Re: 10 Greatest Clemson Football Teams of All Time

Feb 19, 2019, 5:24 PM

Can't forget the 1939 Cotton Bowl team (our first bowl game) with Banks McFadden.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know a couple of guys from that 1978 team, and they both

Feb 19, 2019, 8:01 PM

say it was better overall than the 1981 team. And they played on both, so they should know... too young to start in 78 and still around in 81. They have never wavered in this opinion. I know it's not popular because the 81 team won the natty, and therefore seems obvious. But you know how that goes... you need a little luck and a handful of key plays to go your way in a couple games. Our 2016 team that won the natty needed NCS to miss a chipshot FG and lost to Pitt...

That 12-0 loss to UGA was the only blemish on their 11-1 record, and as I recall, we dominated that game everywhere except the scoreboard. Somebody help me out here, a quick search didn't find the game details...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic